LTT Official Folding Month 2021!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Well here we are guys, the end of the road for folding month 2021, thank you all for getting involved and I hope you guys have a good christmas and new year. 

Remember if you are wanting to continue talking about folding, the event or anything related you can go the the folding community board

@TVwazhere @Spotty Could you please lock the thread and move any further posts after this one to the folding community board. 

Just now, justpoet said:

It just isn't quite the same without Den's RX580 Specials in the competition.  If anybody has a line to him, let him know he's missed.

I will let him know for you 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

50 minutes ago, Yoomes Bond said:

I've got the latest one installed (21.11.1) on Windows

There's your problem.  Yank them out with DDU and install the 21.3.1 drivers.  See this:

I coulda swore it was linked somewhere, but i couldn't find it. how do i set myself up for the free month of mercenaries thing?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, GrockleTD said:

I coulda swore it was linked somewhere, but i couldn't find it. how do i set myself up for the free month of mercenaries thing?

I have no idea honestly 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

I have no idea honestly 

image.png.cada1eada18ebb2d0ce932dd982896f4.png

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I believe this is the one! https://cloud.google.com/

Edit: they do have a thing in the TOS about mining Crypto, i don't know if they'd count Folding in that category

Ok, update about the thing: GPU access seems to be cut off for the free trial. damnable crypto miners...

11 hours ago, justpoet said:

A couple quad core dual xeon mac pro systems running Mac OS and server, an old i5 (3rd or 4th gen) Dell laptop, occasionally a 2012 MacBook Pro (daily driver and productivity/gaming machine that still puts me at around 60fps @ 2k res on an external display in most of my games)...and the one that's been offline for far too long now was an AMD 3400 as a highly undervolted/underclocked remote linux server (commodity hardware budget build mainly used for remote cold storage, sticks to about 50w at the plug under load).  I need to get back to it, as the last updates borked the boot sequence and it locks up on the login screen, but it is a somewhat low priority to travel to until the snow flies.

None run all the cores, usually about half go towards folding for these events, with a couple days of higher amounts while I put off other processing work.

All but the remote 3400 run at home, where I have my solar array for electric offset (and another that I really need to get done before end of year, but has been severely delayed due to various support structure construction issues).

Ah, that's cool. Looking forward to the CPU folding shootout with you. 🍻

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

1 hour ago, GrockleTD said:

I believe this is the one! https://cloud.google.com/

Edit: they do have a thing in the TOS about mining Crypto, i don't know if they'd count Folding in that category

Well, you just reminded me about my azure sub......

Thanks. Now, how do I use my 100 USD of credit

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Have NVIDIA changed the Linux drivers?  Just found out I can fold on the GTX 1650 in my main desktop and it doesn't break anything.  When I did that before with my RTX 2080 the OS became a slideshow.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

14 hours ago, RollinLower said:

welp, got everything going but my 6900XT system doesn't seem to be handing in WU's after completion. Lets find out what that's all about i guess..

I've been getting quite a few of those too, kinda annoying when you're watching the points go down because it can't send the result.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have NVIDIA changed the Linux drivers? 

I think so, not very sure. BUt I do know they've added a GBM backend

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

4 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm not installing the software, just leaving them to rainbow vomit 

kinda fitting for you to leave everything on the spectrum setting

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

I had internet issues yesterday, then decided to play a game on my 3080. Today's points should be over 10M. Lets hope so anyway.

Current Build

Man, off to a rough start with this event, personally! Day one my AIO kicks the bucket, day two my 3080 hits some weird driver bug that causes it to under-perform by 80% -- it was locked to lower power state clocks all day apparently, which brought me from 6 million PPD down to 1.2 million. A reboot cleared it up, but really wish I'd caught it sooner.

1 hour ago, Baha said:

Man, off to a rough start with this event, personally! Day one my AIO kicks the bucket, day two my 3080 hits some weird driver bug that causes it to under-perform by 80% -- it was locked to lower power state clocks all day apparently, which brought me from 6 million PPD down to 1.2 million. A reboot cleared it up, but really wish I'd caught it sooner.

thats rough. rip for the AIO 😞

7 hours ago, Starman57 said:

There's your problem.  Yank them out with DDU and install the 21.3.1 drivers.  See this:

Thanks so much for the tip off! I'm now sitting pretty at 4M PPD for one of the better WU projects after I installed the old 21.3.1 driver. Would never have figured it out myself since it seems to run so counter to the usual notion that newer drivers usually improve things (at least for gaming).

image.png

image.png.ecfc4447401fac2db121116e039b9863.png

My credit is gonna hate me for this.

Well, at least it's for a good cause

Older stuff:

Spoiler

Anyone know how a Tesla K80 would stack up?

Older stuff:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Yoomes Bond said:

Thanks so much for the tip off! I'm now sitting pretty at 4M PPD for one of the better WU projects after I installed the old 21.3.1 driver. Would never have figured it out myself since it seems to run so counter to the usual notion that newer drivers usually improve things (at least for gaming).

image.png

Great.  Glad to have you "really" folding. 🙂

Yeah, it is rather counter-intuitive, as many people believe that a newer driver MUST be a better driver.  As you've seen, there are times where performance regressions can "creep" in, catching programmers by surprise.  However, this problem has persisted since April of this year, with no resolution.  Even worse, the performance of the drivers has been getting worse for F@H as the year progressed.  So now, I'm left to believe after this problem has been reported (twice by me) that they don't care.  They can't use the excuse that they're surprised anymore.  Yet, the problem persists.  So a newer driver "may" be better.  But better for what?  I think you've found out what AMD's priority here is for their Windows drivers.  Gaming.

1 hour ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Anyone know how a Tesla K80 would stack up?

My guess it's autopilot would run a red light when you leave it alone potentially killing you...

Oh you mean the nvidia Tesla, based on the topic below it would be as useful as Teslas autopilot, but wouldn't hurt to throw it on for a task to find out 🙂

Is this person involved in the "folding month".

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-cluster-in-a-bag

I can't quite make out how many PPD this rig makes, but a well cooled RPi4 will be about 825 per WU, which I'm guessing is the minimum points for a completed WU.  As for what that means in PPD, who knows?

30 minutes ago, Starman57 said:

Is this person involved in the "folding month".

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-cluster-in-a-bag

I can't quite make out how many PPD this rig makes, but a well cooled RPi4 will be about 825 per WU, which I'm guessing is the minimum points for a completed WU.  As for what that means in PPD, who knows?

I find this interesting as I didn't think there was Pi support for folding. Well there wasn't last time I looked into it anyway

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

So my main system isn't 100% stable, I've backed off the RAM speed to 3400 to see if that does the trick for the time being 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240