LTT Official Folding Month 2021!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Well here we are guys, the end of the road for folding month 2021, thank you all for getting involved and I hope you guys have a good christmas and new year. 

Remember if you are wanting to continue talking about folding, the event or anything related you can go the the folding community board

@TVwazhere @Spotty Could you please lock the thread and move any further posts after this one to the folding community board. 

So, drivers were a pain on Ubuntu 20.04 server.....

Anyone know if it's okay to run F@H on Ubuntu Server 16.04?

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

It should be fine IMO

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

19 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Have you seen Metallus97's guide to cloud folding? There's a reference to Ubuntu 18.04 in that if I'm not mistaken

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

2 hours ago, Starman57 said:

Great.  Glad to have you "really" folding. 🙂

Yeah, it is rather counter-intuitive, as many people believe that a newer driver MUST be a better driver.  As you've seen, there are times where performance regressions can "creep" in, catching programmers by surprise.  However, this problem has persisted since April of this year, with no resolution.  Even worse, the performance of the drivers has been getting worse for F@H as the year progressed.  So now, I'm left to believe after this problem has been reported (twice by me) that they don't care.  They can't use the excuse that they're surprised anymore.  Yet, the problem persists.  So a newer driver "may" be better.  But better for what?  I think you've found out what AMD's priority here is for their Windows drivers.  Gaming.

Further, I apologise to all fellow AMD folders.  As my main system (5950x/6900xt) is no longer folding in Windows for folding month and has transitioned to Linux Mint 20, I will no longer be inflating the Windows PPD numbers (as I have for a couple of weeks).  Yes, my yellow dot for Linux shows up just under the 5 million mark above "This Week".

It already appears that the Windows folding PPD averages are returning to their atrocious values, so for those ppl not using the 21.3.1 AMD Windows drivers, you can now rest assured that your PPD reported average performance will indeed return to its original value.  I trust that you will remain quite happy for 100% of your power dollars  yielding 50% PPD credits (or less).

As for those that persist in NOT using the 21.3.1 for folding, citing gaming performance and support issues, I feel your pain.  Yes, I do game in Windows on occasion and it's a painful decision to remove the 21.3.1 driver in favour of some "better" support in a subsequent driver.  In doing so, I don't fold.  Just game.

Of course, you'll need LAR Systems "Folding in the Dark" extension to report your PPD values.

As for those adventurous few who have installed 21.3.1.  Yay.  Let me see that Windows PPD average chase me.  I dare ya.

Happy folding.  😄

S

6900xt 12 week performance graph.png

I'm thinking about transitioning foldatron to Linux, but i'm not sure if there is a MSI Afterburner equivalent. I run Ubuntu on my two laptops so preferably would like to use that for a easy transition 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm thinking about transitioning foldatron to Linux, but i'm not sure if there is a MSI Afterburner equivalent. I run Ubuntu on my two laptops so preferably would like to use that for a easy transition 

MSI afterburner for Linux.  Geez, I wish.

For AMD GPUs, the best I've found is Corectrl.  VERY basic, but will overclock the GPU (no VRAM overclock) somewhat once it's setup with the grub directive.  It will also allow GPU fan control (either fixed or via user defined curve).

As I don't use Linux for Nvidia folding, I can't provide anything useful from experience.

Looking on the web, I see MangoHUD for Nvidia, as well as GreenWithEnvy.

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Starman57 said:

MSI afterburner for Linux.  Geez, I wish.

For AMD GPUs, the best I've found is Corectrl.  VERY basic, but will overclock the GPU (no VRAM overclock) somewhat once it's setup with the grub directive.  It will also allow GPU fan control (either fixed or via user defined curve).

As I don't use Linux for Nvidia folding, I can't provide anything useful from experience.

Looking on the web, I see MangoHUD for Nvidia, as well as GreenWithEnvy.

Good luck.

I'm mostly interested in fan control to pin it at 100% and power limiting. Core/mem OC would be nice but not super needed 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

I'm mostly interested in fan control to pin it at 100% and power limiting. Core/mem OC would be nice but not super needed 

You haven't said what GPUs are being used in "foldatron".  I am unfamiliar with this build.

If it's AMD, Corectrl has fan control.  Set it to fixed, 100%.  Click "apply", then "save".

fixed 100 percent fan.png

1 minute ago, Starman57 said:

You haven't said what GPUs are being used in "foldatron".  I am unfamiliar with this build.

If it's AMD, Corectrl has fan control.  Set it to fixed, 100%.  Click "apply", then "save".

fixed 100 percent fan.png

Oh, yeah I forget not everyone knows my set up, all team green

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This means it's running right?
image.png.5548fb07b76caf3c3527d95d71cec207.png

If you're asking why it isn't just running as a service.....
It failed to start even after multiple reboots and a do-release-upgrade

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Seems like it's running to me 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Sure looks like it.

Welcome to the dark side.  😄

1 hour ago, Starman57 said:

Further, I apologise to all fellow AMD folders.  As my main system (5950x/6900xt) is no longer folding in Windows for folding month and has transitioned to Linux Mint 20, I will no longer be inflating the Windows PPD numbers (as I have for a couple of weeks).  Yes, my yellow dot for Linux shows up just under the 5 million mark above "This Week".

It already appears that the Windows folding PPD averages are returning to their atrocious values, so for those ppl not using the 21.3.1 AMD Windows drivers, you can now rest assured that your PPD reported average performance will indeed return to its original value.  I trust that you will remain quite happy for 100% of your power dollars  yielding 50% PPD credits (or less).

As for those that persist in NOT using the 21.3.1 for folding, citing gaming performance and support issues, I feel your pain.  Yes, I do game in Windows on occasion and it's a painful decision to remove the 21.3.1 driver in favour of some "better" support in a subsequent driver.  In doing so, I don't fold.  Just game.

Of course, you'll need LAR Systems "Folding in the Dark" extension to report your PPD values.

As for those adventurous few who have installed 21.3.1.  Yay.  Let me see that Windows PPD average chase me.  I dare ya.

Happy folding.  😄

S

6900xt 12 week performance graph.png

how is F@H on mint running for you? i tried getting my main rig (2970WX, 6900XT) on Ubuntu but the AMD drivers keep kicking my ass so i just revert to windows in shame for F@H events.

13 hours ago, justpoet said:

It just isn't quite the same without Den's RX580 Specials in the competition.  If anybody has a line to him, let him know he's missed.

Den-Fi says he misses you all too, especially the banter 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

First you need to set coolbits to 12

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=12 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

First find Xauth Magic Cookie Location:

sudo ps -ef | grep auth

then:

sudo DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=/run/user/{Directory Number}/gdm/Xauthority nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=0 -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100 -a [gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsClockOffsetAllPerformanceLevels=50

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

39 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

First you need to set coolbits to 12

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=12 --allow-empty-initial-configuration

First find Xauth Magic Cookie Location:

sudo ps -ef | grep auth

then:

sudo DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=/run/user/{Directory Number}/gdm/Xauthority nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=0 -a [fan:0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100 -a [gpu:0]/GPUGraphicsClockOffsetAllPerformanceLevels=50

Any chance you can remote in and do it for me 😜 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

how is F@H on mint running for you? i tried getting my main rig (2970WX, 6900XT) on Ubuntu but the AMD drivers keep kicking my ass so i just revert to windows in shame for F@H events.

F@H on Linux Mint.  Great.  Far more stable and consistent than Windows.  You have, I guess, seen my posts about the crappy Windows drivers (use 21.3.1).

As for the Mint install.  Yes, it can be problematic.  Just like Windows.

Do NOT run any 5.11 kernel with 21.30.  I just installed Mint 20.2.  Installed the 21.10 driver from AMD, adding the --opencl=rocr command line switch.  Added Corectrl (and the grub directive) for fan and for tickling the 6900xt.  Updated everything, which I believe updated the AMD stuff to 21.30 (as it comes from the Corectrl repository).  Of course, F@H and all of its "issues" are handled as well.

Quite happy with the performance, as I already had this system running on Mint via a USB stick, but it now resides on my 2nd M.2 Samsung drive (via EFI dual boot with Windows 10).

30 minutes ago, Starman57 said:

F@H on Linux Mint.  Great.  Far more stable and consistent than Windows.  You have, I guess, seen my posts about the crappy Windows drivers (use 21.3.1).

As for the Mint install.  Yes, it can be problematic.  Just like Windows.

Do NOT run any 5.11 kernel with 21.30.  I just installed Mint 20.2.  Installed the 21.10 driver from AMD, adding the --opencl=rocr command line switch.  Added Corectrl (and the grub directive) for fan and for tickling the 6900xt.  Updated everything, which I believe updated the AMD stuff to 21.30 (as it comes from the Corectrl repository).  Of course, F@H and all of its "issues" are handled as well.

Quite happy with the performance, as I already had this system running on Mint via a USB stick, but it now resides on my 2nd M.2 Samsung drive (via EFI dual boot with Windows 10).

so no amd pro drivers required then?

5 hours ago, RollinLower said:

so no amd pro drivers required then?

Of course you use AMD pro drivers.  That's the 21.10 driver I installed above.

Also as a point of clarification, you can't install those drivers on a default 5.11 kernel.  They won't compile.  After you do the install of Linux Mint and do the updates, install the 5.8 kernel (Update Manager/View/Linux Kernels).  Reboot and at the grub menu prompt (ESC at boot time) manually select that 5.8 kernel to start the PC with.  Then use the same software (Update Manager/View/Linux Kernels) to yank out the 5.11 kernel so it will default to the 5.8 on the next boot.  Since you're now in 5.8, go ahead and install the AMD pro drivers (don't forget the --opencl=rocr command line parameter) which will now be quite happy with the kernel version.  Then go ahead and install the Corectrl app from the PPA which will most likely update certain 21.10 parts to 21.30.  Don't forget to add the grub directive and update grub.  Reboot.  Then handle the Folding at home install (and issues which are many).

Further, I've attached a command capture that shows the end result (sans F@H stuff).

inxi capture.png

4 minutes ago, GodOfROG said:

FFFFF power supply did not like Folding - Anyone have a spare 1600w? Just had a SuperNOVA 1600 G die. 

Going to see what I can do to replace it shortly.

Hint hint:

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

4 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

what the foldatron

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC