Apple paid millions to woman who got her nudes posted on her facebook by apple iphone repair contractors

spartaman64

he Telegraph has learned that Apple paid a "multimillion-dollar" settlement to a woman studying at the University of Oregon after two iPhone repair techs at a Pegatron facility in Sacramento, California posted her explicit photos and a video online in 2016. She sent the iPhone in for a fix, but found that the perpetrators shared the media through her Facebook account as if she'd posted them herself.

The woman's attorneys had threatened to sue for the a privacy invasion and emotional trauma. While the incident happened on Pegatron's watch, Apple paid the settlement and received compensation from Pegatron. The breach only came to light during a fight between Pegatron and insurers that refused to cover the payment.

Apple reportedly conducted an "exhaustive" investigation that led to both the settlement and firing the two technicians. At the same time, it demanded confidentiality over concerns that publicity could lead to "substantial business harm." , with Apple described only as a "customer." Apple was identified only during an unrelated lawsuit.

Apple has made privacy a selling point for years, but that respect apparently didn't extend to some contracted technicians. The Telegraph has learned that Apple paid a "multimillion-dollar" settlement to a woman studying at the University of Oregon after two iPhone repair techs at a Pegatron facility in Sacramento, California posted her explicit photos and a video online in 2016. She sent the iPhone in for a fix, but found that the perpetrators shared the media through her Facebook account as if she'd posted them herself.

The woman's attorneys had threatened to sue for the a privacy invasion and emotional trauma. While the incident happened on Pegatron's watch, Apple paid the settlement and received compensation from Pegatron. The breach only came to light during a fight between Pegatron and insurers that refused to cover the payment.

Apple reportedly conducted an "exhaustive" investigation that led to both the settlement and firing the two technicians. At the same time, it demanded confidentiality over concerns that publicity could lead to "substantial business harm." , with Apple described only as a "customer." Apple was identified only during an unrelated lawsuit.

An Apple spokesperson confirmed the violation to the Telegraph and said the company took privacy "extremely seriously," and that it had safeguards to protect data during repairs. The tech giant has "continued to strengthen" its contractor rules since 2016, the representative said without elaborating.

source: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-pegatron-settlement-over-explicit-photos-135331184.html

When you send something to apple for repair they say your data is going to be wiped so why didn't wipe the data before sending it to subcontractors to do repairs? And imo they should have went after the technicians also for criminal charges.

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

that led to both the settlement and firing the two technicians.

Arent they technically still criminally liable for data breach?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Arent they technically still criminally liable for data breach?

idk the article didnt say anything about criminal charges being pressed against the technicians just that they were fired. i think they should have pressed criminal charges and ban them from working in the industry

ah yes the small repair shop will leak your data, oh wait that would result them crumbing

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Use at least SOME form of security on your phone, damn.

I get this still shouldn’t have happened but who the hell sends a phone full of their nudes out without AT LEAST a pin code?!

Repair tech is a creepy asshole, customer is a moron. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Use at least SOME form of security on your phone, damn.

I get this still shouldn’t have happened but who the hell sends a phone full of their nudes out without AT LEAST a pin code?!

Repair tech is a creepy asshole, customer is a moron. 

im not sure to what degree her phone was broken so this might not have been possible

13 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im not sure to what degree her phone was broken so this might not have been possible

I mean that the person should have been using it already. What if your unsecured phone full of nudes gets stolen?

Anyone that gets their hands on the phone just needs to press the power button to gain access to everything. Pictures, social media, texts, etc.

Not using at least a PIN is wildly irresponsible.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

so ironic they are fighting against others for this, while they can very much do it themselves.

It's like fighting all other VPN's and can only use yours, or else you are in worse hands.

Even if you might have higher trust in other brands and their services and their locations used for these services.

Not like apple pushing you to certain storage in a certain location, for a reason I don't remember.

Sorry, but how is Apple responsible for this? If it was a direct worker of Apple or Apple's actual technician, sure. No one can possibly keep EVERYONE in check. I mean, do people realize how huge Apple is and how many contractors they use? And same would go for Samsung, Oppo, Xiaomi, whoever. People are assholes and you have to assume the worst.

Also shitting on Apple for it how they "don't care about privacy" because of this is a low effort attack. It's entirely out of their control and you can use bunch of security features, but if person doesn't use them, what's the point? People should know keeping nudes is something you need to be sure about and make precautions they won't get leaked. If you can't be sure, then don't make them.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

No one can possibly keep EVERYONE in check. I mean, do people realize how huge Apple is and how many contractors they use? And same would go for Samsung, Oppo, Xiaomi, whoever. People are assholes and you have to assume the worst.

That is the exact point Louis Rossman makes in his video; the "authorized man" is still not above anyone else despite hired by Apple. The hiring pool from which Apple gets their repairs folks is no different than any other pool.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Sorry, but how is Apple responsible for this? If it was a direct worker of Apple or Apple's actual technician, sure. No one can possibly keep EVERYONE in check. I mean, do people realize how huge Apple is and how many contractors they use? And same would go for Samsung, Oppo, Xiaomi, whoever. People are assholes and you have to assume the worst.

Example.

I am a car mechanic, you come to me and you have issue with your car. I can't fix the issue myself because I don't have the tools necessary, but I hire a contractor to come in and do the work for me. After everything is finished, you come and take your car and you realise that the contractor has done unnecessary work to the car and you were billed for it.

Of course I am getting the blame because I hired the contractor.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

People should know keeping nudes is something you need to be sure about and make precautions they won't get leaked. If you can't be sure, then don't make them.

This does not justify someone going through someone else's phone. THIS IS A TOTAL INVASION OF PRIVACY.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Also shitting on Apple for it how they "don't care about privacy" because of this is a low effort attack. It's entirely out of their control and you can use bunch of security features, but if person doesn't use them, what's the point? People should know keeping nudes is something you need to be sure about and make precautions they won't get leaked. If you can't be sure, then don't make them.

two iPhone repair techs at a Pegatron facility

Did you even read the OP? They are Apple's "approved repair technicians" so Apple should be responsible. I find it ironic because people always say you shouldn't trust a 3rd party or small repair shop because they'll steal your data, yet some repair service authorized by Apple does it.

19 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Did you even read the OP? They are Apple's "approved repair technicians" so Apple should be responsible. I find it ironic because people always say you shouldn't trust a 3rd party or small repair shop because they'll steal your data, yet some repair service authorized by Apple does it.

Authorized/approved is the same shit as 3rd party. They are not actual Apple. There are bunch of "authorized" services for major brands like Samsung, Philips or Sony and they do dumb shit regularly. Something actual vendor service centers would never dare to pull off. Maybe not leaking someone's nudes, but they often operate different than guidelines or rules dictate. And that's because they are still 3rd parties, just authorized to do official work for whatever brand. And they'll always be less reliable or trustworthy.

23 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Authorized/approved is the same shit as 3rd party. They are not actual Apple. There are bunch of "authorized" services for major brands like Samsung, Philips or Sony and they do dumb shit regularly. Something actual vendor service centers would never dare to pull off. Maybe not leaking someone's nudes, but they often operate different than guidelines or rules dictate. And that's because they are still 3rd parties, just authorized to do official work for whatever brand. And they'll always be less reliable or trustworthy.

And yet these "Major Brands" still hire them... Apple and any other brand that hire companies likes these should be held accountable because they are the ones who are hiring and using them and they are the ones that should be doing a better job at vetting them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

While the incident happened on Pegatron's watch, Apple paid the settlement and received compensation from Pegatron.

I think this part here is important. Apple paid the settlement but turned around and demanded payback from the actual offending party. It's clear that this is a damage control move by Apple, because they know that if such a lawsuit would actually be filed, it would be a PR nightmare, especially given their efforts to highlight their superior privacy measures, so minimizing the fallout and paying her a few million is a no-brainer. And given that this is Apple we're talking about, breaches of contract like this are probably very well outlined in contracts that certified service providers need to sign before certification, so it's easy for them to demand compensation or litigate over it. 

As for the criminal liability of the two techs, I assume the victim would probably need to press charges against them directly.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

LMAO. Large corps parroting that small repair shop will leak/stole your data and install Tik Tok actually did it them self. Bravo. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

30 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

And yet these "Major Brands" still hire them... Apple and any other brand that hire companies likes these should be held accountable because they are the ones who are hiring and using them and they are the ones that should be doing a better job at vetting them.

Opposed to do what? Run their own repair shops all over the world? Do you realize how expensive and complicated that is?

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Any other company that contracts out repairs should be to blame, but no when it comes to Apple the blame is supposed to be shifted and all of a sudden it's not Apple's fault?

As Louis Rossman pointed out, just because someone is "authorized" it doesn't mean that will keep anyone doing things with your data, an actual service center doesn't mean anything.

And I think whats more concerning is included in the payout from Apple was the woman had to keep the incident confidential, so who knows how many other times Apple's authorized and trusted repair techs violated customer privacy.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

And I think whats more concerning is included in the payout from Apple was the woman had to keep the incident confidential

NEw to the world? That's pretty much standard in law suit settlements.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

11 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

NEw to the world? That's pretty much standard in law suit settlements.

The point is a huge payout and enough power to keep the whole thing secret is something an average independent repair shop couldn't even remotely afford, yet we're told not to trust the small 3rd party shops lol.

An actual 3rd party shop tech would get jail time for this, but a giant faceless company can just go oops sorry have some money but don't say anything cause we gotta tell our consumers we care about privacy.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Any other company that contracts out repairs should be to blame, but no when it comes to Apple the blame is supposed to be shifted and all of a sudden it's not Apple's fault?

As Louis Rossman pointed out, just because someone is "authorized" it doesn't mean that will keep anyone doing things with your data, an actual service center doesn't mean anything.

And I think whats more concerning is included in the payout from Apple was the woman had to keep the incident confidential, so who knows how many other times Apple's authorized and trusted repair techs violated customer privacy.

Lets just say people like to shit on Apple solely because it's Apple. And such idiots are getting on my nerves, because they are generally the same idiots who spread bullshit how garbage and limited and closed ecosystem Apple is yadiyadada and talk bullshit stories to fearmonger people from considering iPhones. Trust me, I've been there for years and when I went with iPhone anyway I realized how full of shit they are. And they are one of saltiest motherfuckers I've ever seen. That's why.

Like I said, if it was Apple's actual own facility with their own employees, situation and blame would be entirely different. Being a contractor fucking it up, Apple can be angry and outraged as much as the woman that had nudes leaked. But it's just their contractor. They can't monitor them the same way they could their actual own employees. And enforce policies and punish them accordingly. They can only demand things from Pegatron about the same woman can from Apple. Apart from contractual work, they aren't connected in any different way.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Sorry, but how is Apple responsible for this?

They're not,  they only stepped in and paid up because in this day and age bad PR is bad PR regardless who's at fault. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Sorry, but how is Apple responsible for this?

They didn't wipe the data before sending it to the contractor, also if they choose to subcontract repairs they must make sure the contractors fulfill the privacy standards they advertise.

It's not like just because I'm paying someone else to do the job I said I'd do then suddenly I'm no longer responsible for the outcome.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

They can only demand things from Pegatron about the same woman can from Apple. Apart from contractual work, they aren't connected in any different way.

They can absolutely enforce the terms of their contract and they can absolutely include terms that forbid this sort of thing. If Pegatron signs that contract but refuses to enforce the terms Apple can sue them to the moon and back, and win.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

They didn't wipe the data before sending it to the contractor, also if they choose to subcontract repairs they must make sure the contractors fulfill the privacy standards they advertise.

It's not like just because I'm paying someone else to do the job I said I'd do then suddenly I'm no longer responsible for the outcome.

They can absolutely enforce the terms of their contract and they can absolutely include terms that forbid this sort of thing. If Pegatron signs that contract but refuses to enforce the terms Apple can sue them to the moon and back, and win.

And how you're going to ensure some random bored underpaid dude in service center is going to actually obey that? You can't. You also can't sue that dude for millions coz he doesn't have them. So, you turn to next one with biggest pockets that does. Apple.