Apple paid millions to woman who got her nudes posted on her facebook by apple iphone repair contractors

spartaman64
2 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Why is this not in news

mod decided its not tech news

47 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

If you hand out costumer devices freely to every employee and they can do whatever they like with it, this was guaranteed to happen sooner or later.

"If you just freely let any employees handle the groceries in the store, eventually one of them is going to poison them sooner or later."

There is a point where you just have to 'trust' your employees to not be evil or insane and yes, you can be held liable if your evil or insane employees when they do evil or insane things while, working on your behalf, to the customers.

You have no guarantees the bank staff won't 'manipulate your account' (And this HAS happened).  The cable guy might steal your things and then take a photo of your messy bathroom for their weird personal blog.  Restaurant staff might unsafely handle/prepare your food.  This is a risk that employers have to accept, insure for, and yes, be held responsible for when it happens on their watch.  And it does happen and usually both employee and employer are held responsible.  This thing with this particular phone is not a new thing.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

14 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

mod decided its not tech news

I guess apple isn't a tech company if this isn't tech news 😆

Edit- I mean apple is more of a lifestyle and fashion device company nowadays, but this should still be tech news.

Edited by Blademaster91

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

...What? What does this have to do with literally anything? Both men and women are capable of committing crimes, stealing personal private data, etc.

Ask yourself if this kind of inappropriate behaviour isn't more likely in a male dominated environment. And if you are unsure about it, take a look at some of the comments in this thread. Some areas benefit massively by equal representation of female and male employees and handling this kind of private information is certainly one.

25 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

so long as you know som1 who has an understanding of PC maintenance, which in the case of '89 year old Granny Smith', would likely be 'Grandson/Great Grandson Tom'. 😛

Ah yes, the person who is is surely the most trustworthy with other people's personal data and you can expect the most professional behavior from, your 17yo cousin Kevin who plays Apex Legends all day.  What could possibly go wrong?  Family is always trustworthy... Right?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I guess apple isn't a tech company if this isn't tech news 😆

Serious or joking? I mean, does someone crashing a Tesla qualify for tech news since Tesla is a well known tech company?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Some areas benefit massively by equal representation of female and male employees and handling this kind of private information is certainly one.

Not so sure about that, but yes, certain information is less wanted from a gender's perspective. If it's personal related, it might be female, if it's sexual it might be male, unless they are made to profit of it, just like scam call centers.

Of course it can help having some diverse thoughts and opinions, were female and male thoughts might have a different focus or view.

To how they might use their body, which might make them have a different way of doing it. Which can encourage some change or view on the topic?

But I disagree if one has to push it all the time or being soem 50/50% nonsense.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Serious or joking? I mean, does someone crashing a Tesla qualify for tech news since Tesla is a well known tech company?

IMHO it does if Tesla is at fault with their self driving software, then again LTT has gotten quite picky with what is tech news.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

IMHO it does if Tesla is at fault with their self driving software, then again LTT has gotten quite picky with what is tech news.

Not at all, the rules have been clarified fairly recently.

Tech News must be about Tech, just because a Tech companies name is involved doesn't automatically mean the news is about their tech.

This topic is about stolen photos being posted on the internet, that's not exactly tech news.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

You have no guarantees the bank staff won't 'manipulate your account' (And this HAS happened).  The cable guy might steal your things and then take a photo of your messy bathroom for their weird personal blog.  Restaurant staff might unsafely handle/prepare your food.  This is a risk that employers have to accept, insure for, and yes, be held responsible for when it happens on their watch.  And it does happen and usually both employee and employer are held responsible.  This thing with this particular phone is not a new thing.

Not this discussion again... There is no guarantee it will never happen but it's not too hard to reduce the chance to almost zero. There must be rules and measures to minimise the risk.

Geez I sure wish I could get millions for nudes of Me!!! Well I'm not exactly buffed you know middle age and all....

On 6/15/2021 at 11:22 PM, Master Disaster said:

Tech News must be about Tech, just because a Tech companies name is involved doesn't automatically mean the news is about their tech.

This topic is about stolen photos being posted on the internet, that's not exactly tech news.

Honestly, it's about time.

It was getting ridiculous how many things were posted in the "tech news" section because "technically, X is technology so it fits".

I remember reporting several threads that weren't tech news but they were left in the news section because "it involves something that could be classified as tech".

Some examples that pissed me off:

"The US officially grounds the 737 MAX"

Was left in tech news because "planes are tech", even though the news story wasn't even about the plane itself, but rather the US not letting it fly.

"Massdrop Rebrands to Drop"

Was apparently tech news because "Massdrop is a website that sometimes sells tech stuff".

"Affair site Ashley Madison got hacked!" 

Was apparently "tech news" because "it involved a website, and websites are tech".

"Google thinks farting isnt child friendly for the youngest"

This "news thread" was about Google marking an app as "age 9-12" because it contained lots of farting. It was tech news because Google is a tech company.

"Momo challenge: Police advise over 'freaky game'"

This was a hoax (confirmed fake) that some bot called "momo" was targeting young children on WhatsApp, making them kill themselves. Apparently it was "tech news" because the news story said it allegedly happened over WhatsApp messages, and WhatsApp is technology.

"Xbox Onesie - Perfect for being comfortable and playing games"

Apparently Microsoft selling a onesie with an Xbox logo on it was tech news because "Xbox is tech". Also, judging by my comment in that thread it wasn't the first time someone posted "Microsoft are selling this clothing item" in tech news, but it was allowed because "Microsoft is a tech company".

so a sub section for news, is kinda what I thought would maybe fit. but could go out of control too. although this is going a bit out of this thread, still amazed by the 737 max situation, now cars, then something else. Adjusting safety standards to fit corporations and large entities, or disregard safety rules for profit, which is a big part of the DEADLIEST transport "accidents". From planes, cars/infastructure, ships, and other transport methods to carry humans.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, dalekphalm said:

Apple did the right thing here (whether they did it for the right reasons honestly isn't that relevant). I'm not too sure what else people expect or want Apple to do.

Apple sort of did the right thing.

1) Firing the employees.  Well, duh.  They cost apple MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.  Of course they're getting shit-canned.  This is up there with getting electrocuted if you go lick a 240V outlet.  

2) The lawsuit from the woman was tied up under a STUPID TIGHT NDA.  We would NEVER HAVE KNOWN THIS.  

3) Pegatron's Lawsuit is the only reason we know this exists.  

So, they did some good things?  But also a bunch of evil.

We now know of TWO incidents where this has happened.  But one of them had nothing to do with Apple or the Victim getting the information out.  It was incidental to other things.

How many other incidents have happened and are tied up under NDAs that nobody can break?  I would put every penny I have that the number is a fair bit above Zero.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:22 PM, Master Disaster said:

On 6/21/2021 at 3:02 AM, LAwLz said:

Honestly, it's about time.

It was getting ridiculous how many things were posted in the "tech news" section because "technically, X is technology so it fits".

I remember reporting several threads that weren't tech news but they were left in the news section because "it involves something that could be classified as tech".

Some examples that pissed me off:

"The US officially grounds the 737 MAX"

Was left in tech news because "planes are tech", even though the news story wasn't even about the plane itself, but rather the US not letting it fly.

"Massdrop Rebrands to Drop"

Was apparently tech news because "Massdrop is a website that sometimes sells tech stuff".

"Affair site Ashley Madison got hacked!" 

Was apparently "tech news" because "it involved a website, and websites are tech".

"Google thinks farting isnt child friendly for the youngest"

This "news thread" was about Google marking an app as "age 9-12" because it contained lots of farting. It was tech news because Google is a tech company.

"Momo challenge: Police advise over 'freaky game'"

This was a hoax (confirmed fake) that some bot called "momo" was targeting young children on WhatsApp, making them kill themselves. Apparently it was "tech news" because the news story said it allegedly happened over WhatsApp messages, and WhatsApp is technology.

"Xbox Onesie - Perfect for being comfortable and playing games"

Apparently Microsoft selling a onesie with an Xbox logo on it was tech news because "Xbox is tech". Also, judging by my comment in that thread it wasn't the first time someone posted "Microsoft are selling this clothing item" in tech news, but it was allowed because "Microsoft is a tech company".

its just funny at times when something is deemed not tech news and it makes it onto the wan show

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

its just funny at times when something is deemed not tech news and it makes it onto the wan show

Didn't this make it on tech quickie or the wan show as well? I don't recall ever reading your topic till just now yet I know of it and I don't think it was from Louis.

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Didn't this make it on tech quickie or the wan show as well? I don't recall ever reading your topic till just now yet I know of it and I don't think it was from Louis.

idk i dont really watch wan show anymore. but i remember it happening at least two times in the past for me. and one of those times it was like the main topic lol

14 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk i dont really watch wan show anymore. but i remember it happening at least two times in the past for me. and one of those times it was like the main topic lol

The logic of it making on is it's clickbait gold Apple getting sued etc. It's the same reason why google gets thrown on every time privacy concerns come up, can't see how this is any different. I also don't watch the WAN show anymore, mostly due to TechLinked (not quickie oops) lol. It's also possible these topics get looked at before they get moved and they thought it was a good topic to talk about for that days video.