Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

hello, Linus

Can u please make a detail video about explaining dts Play-fi technology. it is open wifi technology which is adopted by over 23 manufactures and which is far superior and better then SONOS.  Playfi can do Hi-Res Audio and work on % GHZ network also u can mix and match speakers, receivers and soundbars from different manufactures. and connect up to 32 audio devices on one wifi network. i have seen u making videos on old and dead technologies while Playfi is still growing. now philips TVs and Dish network Tv receivers have playfi build in. thank you so much if u can make a full detail video about it or making comparison to SONOS. 

thanks again.

2 minutes ago, digdug18 said:

Found this product on Aliexpress...

Cell phone water cooler

It's a plastic case that is water cooled, and screams Linus, what could go wrong....

i think they have done this before.

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

I just watched the tech news today, really would like to see load time comparisons between RAM, VRAM, and a SSD.

8 hours ago, digdug18 said:

Found this product on Aliexpress...

Cell phone water cooler

It's a plastic case that is water cooled, and screams Linus, what could go wrong....

They've made one with that product a few weeks ago.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I don't know if Linus and the team take ideas for videos, but I think I remember Linus saying in one of his videos that he got the idea from someone posting it on twitter or the forums.. anyways since I know LTT does a lot of silly but cool projects I saw this meme today and first thing I actually thought is "Linus could build something like this"

Anyways it would be a computer inside a classic telephone housing.. Seems like an interesting project.

121040300_2901280220155843_227002819428139010_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_eui2=AeEyKoZ66mDFU16AF5zxUm5aIff-WUbeJukh9_5ZRt4m6Z2zwIHtIm4GtHW4X27zS2LVM9I02LubQO1e0S2dni8B&_nc_ohc=HGginleJWzoAX-XPej3&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=44a68ae2dd5a8ccca0f055013e2d9955&oe=5FA31BDD

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

1 minute ago, berny22 said:

I don't know if Linus and the team take ideas for videos

They do. There's a thread for submitting LTT video suggestions pinned to the top of the LTT Official forum. (Your post has been moved there)

You might also like the video where they played DOOM on a calculator.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

What about a possible little series "A day in the life of an xxxx"

Fill the blank space with f.e.:

- editor

- camera operator

- scripter

- accountant / salesman/woman

- designer

- ceo(s) (yes, you linus and yvonne)

- floatplane people

- etc.

Like that you could give us more insight into the work life and all the tasks that make a day of a certain group of your staff.

As Linus mentioned in a recent video, the LMG staff has grown a lot in the last few weeks and so it would be even more interesting to be able to catch up more on the LMG staff.

Thank you for reading :)

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

so I was looking up weird cooling and got me thinking, what's the maximum wattage you could realistically cool a mineral oil cooled PC?

Now for Science! talk

looking at the viscosity index for mineral oil the slush point gets out of hand exponentially below the 10C range so having a pump wouldn't be any good, however a jank stirring machine would circulate the oil very well in it's viscous state, since the warmest oil will be closest to the components it will be less viscous and easier to stir into the surrounding "thicc" oil. added bonus: as the oil's density increases the thermal transfer rate also increases so any higher temp easily movable oil will nearly instantly return to temp, it has potential to be a pretty wild cooling method if you can maintain 10C and stir or even just tilt table the container. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

you can always contact these guys to try a closed loop liquid nitrogen cooler, or basically any gas you choose Oxygen, Methane, Argon, Helium, CO2 if it's a gas which changes state you can cool a computer with this upto 2800W of heat output at full tilt. 

https://www.stirlingcryogenics.eu/en/products/cryocoolers/spc-1-cryogenerator

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

would love to see a second part of this with a laptop and an eGPU. I know there is this vid but it uses a desktop 

On 9/29/2020 at 4:36 PM, Kilrah said:

They already tackled that in videos, their answer was a steam cache server.

That explains how they install games without having to re-download them. However, it doesn't show us how each PC is configured. Do they each have an SSD for the OS and a dedicated HDD for the games? That is not how LAN centers do this. I believe they use PXE and boot to a windows image. I don't know how they share game libraries, or if it's possible.

Hear me out. "ANCing the entire house".

It's an interesting concept since more people are working from home, and from what I've found in a quick search, there's only 1 company, Silentium, that promises to do something similar with some of their products.

As someone who lives at like, 50 meters from the sea, it would be a godsend to be able to open my window without having to bear with the continuous noise.

1 hour ago, Saearrin said:

As someone who lives at like, 50 meters from the sea, it would be a godsend to be able to open my window without having to bear with the continuous noise.

At least you have sea noise, which is moderately pleasant.

Some people have the same problem, but with traffic noise...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I have a couple of ideas for videos, some exciting and some not

Scrapyard wars: Get 2x teams to build the best value system on a budget but with 3x games and 3x benchmarks (1x benchmark should be hidden until the reveal so they cant plan for it in the build) BUT!!!!     they have to allocate a certain amount of the budget to get Alex to build either unique case panel or a water block for the CPU...that way we can enjoy another scrapyard wars and Linus can show off his workshop...May also be fun to choose a non technical person for each team and then the teams needs to decide who does the parts list and the other should build the system

OR

Scrapyard Wars: One team buys the parts but the other has to build it and see how well it overclocks,..highest performance increases % while stable for 30 minutes in 3x titles wins

OR

Scrapyards wars: See which team can build the best value system aimed purely at productivity (winzip, blender, solidworks cfd simulation and one H.264 video trancode)

Tech story: When I was in the IT industry in South Africa about 10 years ago a company close to me used to sell a chip they advertised that would slot into your PCI slot with LED's that would blink to tell you if your Mobo still works and if not what may be wrong...I don't know if that tech is still available

Tech story: Have a look at some south African websites Evetech,Pc international and wootware, some good value and some awful value pre builts, and especially system pairings that makes no sense

What are the differences between using your GPU to upscale/ play @ 4k vs letting your TV do it?

For example: Game settings at 1440p/ 1080p for the frames rate then TV upscales it to 4k. 

Worth it? Does it add too much lag?

If you can... Please review the GIGABYTE AORUS M2 and M4 gaming mouse. From my perspective, they are the BEST budget gaming mouses.

I am a soon to be dad and It would be very helpful to get a rundown of baby related tech. monitors, bouncers, etc.  I know that Mr Sebastian has a few kids and Riley just had one.  It would be very helpful to know their thoughts on effectivness/quality, cost, and privacy aspects of the products.

Thank you!

This was being discussed on a thread in the general forum.  It sounds like a good techquickie episode.

Posted 2 minutes ago · Original Poster
  11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Drivers for your specific device.

They don't all use the same touchscreen, the same fingerprint reader, the same audio chipset, etc...

A PC can look for these online.

On mobile... The OS just isn't built to look for device drivers online.

On mobile... The OS just isn't built to look for device drivers online.

Why not? Seams like a very useful feature honestly. Wouldn't that basically solve the device support limit issues if Google for example would just host a giant driver database similar to how Microsoft does it.  Google could push out full OS updates for any device as long as the OEMs submitted there drivers for the new OS.

Techquickie Idea:

Why DDR5 is a big deal, because it's not just ram speed

Now a lot of high end phones are water proof could you just leave a phone in some water to use the thermal mass of the water to cool your phone?

Would this make a noticable difference when playing games or rendering a video?