Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Given that CPUs are going towards more and more cores/threads, a video showing the performance boost (if any) or drop off (if any) the larger the core/thread count you go.

Or, detail which games get the biggest boost from many cores/threads.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

It's Halloween time. How about we see the crew rig up some DIY Halloween related electronics? (Think of the spooky animatronics and gadgets in spirit halloween)

11 minutes ago, Pixelated Fudge said:

It's Halloween time. How about we see the crew rig up some DIY Halloween related electronics? (Think of the spooky animatronics and gadgets in spirit halloween)

Maybe also some techy costume ideas, like what Mark Rober did a few years ago

Best monitors for certain budgets for the up coming xbox and ps5 consoles.

Lots of posts on reddit about them :)

AliExpress is selling motherboards with an integrated Xbox One SoC on it, I'd be very curious to see LTT test it! 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001340237782.html

These are listed as "used", I wonder if the APUs where harvested from defective Xbox Ones and simply slapped on a custom motherbaord. It's X86_64 so theoratically it should run Windows & Linux. Driver support for it has to be non-existant tho...

Challenge for Linus and his team. Merging two industries!

I own a 60W C02 Laser from China. As the technology increases we see more of this technology becoming more affordable and widely available, like GlowForge. I know your team has some machinist and maybe they would love this idea. Im looking for alternative routes to keep my laser cool. It is already liquid cooled as most are, however, it is archaic tech. Most use "water chillers" some use a bucket with distilled water and freeze packs. I think maybe since water cooling PCs are hit or miss, maybe the gaming community can use PC parts on an industrial laser to keep it water cooled to spec.

Would make for a great episode, plus your guys get something cool for the shop and then someone with proper equipment knowledge and ability to explain why or why not this would work can answer my question, it is possible?

Or at least build an RGB GAMING *said in linus's gamer voice* c02 laser

20201014_192320.jpg

20201014_173628.jpg

do a video on a 1550ti v a 1660 also i would like to see a computer with more than 4 graphics cards

About the latest video mentioning a pc build for dos or emulation based one, Also hello just registered heh.

You could probably go with the voodoo 2 sli pc that popped up on the channel 2 years ago or so ?
Or does Anthony have parts ready too go already for it ? wouldnt mind knowing what he is planning too put together hardware wise here like cpu,motherboard,ram,graphics card etc...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OtwHV8j-90 voodoo II pc in question.

As for the games too run on that machine, I'd go with comparing regular quake & GLQuake too show just how important that hardware acceleration became, even at a low resolution like 640x480 or 480x320 on early hardware around a late era dos machine.
Or a windows 98 machine even like a socket 7 k6-2 of some sort 64 mb ram & a 3d gpu like a voodoo 2 or ati radeon ddr/sdr.

Another good set of games too put on most dos/windows 98 machines is ofc Blood from 1997 (best build engine game imo)

Worms (1995 or worms 2 from 1997.)
The Neverhood (1996) adventure game.
Linus should certainly check this one out if he has never heard of it.
Screamer is perhaps another good one for the video at least, a racing game from 1995.
Whiplash another racing game, bit more hectic then screamer has loops & some jumps in the tracks.
MDK great third person shooter too this day & with a voodoo card or emulation of one & forced too a higher resolution via nglide or dgvoodoo2.

Carmageddon 1 with glide support if you can get hold of a voodoo 2,voodoo rush or voodoo 1 for the video or as mentioned nglide or dgvoodoo2.
Worth looking them up on youtube at least running with glide, dgvoodoo2 or nglide.

When it comes too emulation, patching a game & running a program like dgvoodoo2 or nglide can certainly help with getting that ball rolling on the software side of things natively in windows rather then using virtual machines which is another option too check out for sure.

For example here is 3dmark99 in 3840x2160 resolution thanks too dgvoodoo2 on a my main pc running windows 7 after a patch or two, didn't get reshade working unfortunately but the benchmark went from not starting regardless of compatibility settings & patching it, too running in 4k resolution on quite a bit newer hardware so can't complain really.
I5 2500 @ 3.9 ghz all cores & 4.1 ghz 1 core (z77 motherboard)
16 gb ram & a gigabyte gtx 1660 super
Ofc score dropped due too me cranking up shadowplay settings too the limit pretty much on the slider & picking too record 4k resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IQYF52tP6o

Rather then straight up doing it in virtual machines this is certainly an option too consider for the video as it can improve the graphical quality without costing anything but time too setup really.
Pcgamingwiki usually has things mentioning how too run certain games in modern resolutions & operating systems almost regardless of hardware  and ofc outlets like gog.com or steam,origin has a bunch of older games.

Ofc it can be a bit of a hit & miss still if it's not setup correctly and cause issues more then solve them like textures being transparent that previously were not due too gpu driver settings or dgvoodoo2 settings.

Additionally on top of this due too mixing of Direct X emulating older direct x versions with dgvoodoo2 you can actually get reshade working on some early direct 3d & direct x games if configured correctly.
Monster truck madness 1 works with reshade thanks too dgvoodoo2 for example after enabling hardware acceleration in the game & also works in 1080p, unfortunately with lower resolution textures, which certainly shows in a game from 1996 where some textures goes from readable too blurry heh.

For this type of thing you'll ofc need no cd patches for a bunch of games you are going too test dgvoodoo2 or nglide with.
As windows 10 patched copy protection stuff at some point which broke like 15 - 20 years worth of cd / dvd based games with copy protection, so they don't actually launch at all.

I think LTT needs to make a video putting forward Louis Rossman's and Jessa from iPad Rehab Microsoldering's perspective on the Drivesaver 'drama' from October 9th's WAN Show. I understand the desire of Linus, and LMG as a whole, to remain neutral in issues like these, but I think only allowing one party of an argument an opportunity to use your platform to make their case is not neutral. I don't believe that there is any ill intent on Linus' part, but it feels irresponsible that he did not speak with Louis or Jessa to allow them a reply to Drivesaver's rebuttal.

maybe they should do another contest video like the cardboard pc case one

who can make the worst pc video!!!

Not sure which thread this is appropreate for, so posting here too...

Video Suggestions.

1.) a LINUX KVM video - showing how to make a ((GOOD)) gaming windows VM on a FREE Hypervisor.
(I'm available for assistance if you need)

2.) SLI/Multi-GPU video explaining batch processing/post-processing,
- and explaining why High Latency tasks use mutli-GPUs better
- and why Gaming mutliGPU would require communications as fast as the memory bandwidth to be useful. (at high framerates)

3.) Video exploring direct wireless (LAN) networking to a laptop (and WAN options if you wish)
- - For the purpose of streaming from a desktop (games) (use steam link)
- - and file transfer/general networking.
Such a video would be useful for those with a companion laptop.

4.) Video exploring/Explaining a [RAM Drive] acting as [SUPERFETCH] [Disk Cache], with ram disk [SWAP] on a [dedicated NVME]
- and how that is "neat" for games.

5.) running windows to go on an sd-card. (redux) with the following changes...
- - Class [a2] [UHS-ii] on USB 3.0 UHS-II reader. (unless you can be sure an internal reader is on a USB3.0 bus.)

6.) Running Android x86 on a decent touch-screen laptop.
- Intel works "Correctly".
- Nvidia works correctly on archs that share tech with ARM-NVIDIA boards.
- AMD: Im actually not sure about this one... untested.

7.) Video Demonstrating uncommon [Hardware] raid formats. (IE: raid 2)
- Note: Video playing with raid 2.

8.) Video Rooting an android and installing adblocking.

9.) Video using VR to render 3 desktops and doing something functional that you would do on 3 monitors.

10.) Video where you use a raspberry pi 4, and a usb 3.0+ "very fast" native Accesspoint compatible WIFI card, to create a "VERY FAST" (and cheap) gaming router - with a low latency linux distro

OPTIONAL: 

1O.) Video using a "KILL-A-WATT" (or whatever brand you want)
- to demonstrate actual power use by computer components.

IE: a 3090 (and its companion motherboard/components) and why an 800 watt, and even a 600 watt power supply (rated at 80%) is
"totally enough" for a "not overclocked" (normal/stock) system.

2O.) Theres an adapter that lets you link 2 power supplies safely...
- You can connect Motherboard and GPU to 1 of them...
- then the CPU "EATX12V_... to another (smaller but "good") slim (MATX) power supply.
This results in better EM isolation and [can mean] more stable overclocks, (the science is relevant to memory communications) and certainly EMF noise reduction (for audiophiles.)
(i prefer to run at least 2 power supplies)
> One dedicated to CPU power.
> However im thinking of getting a GPU PSU, because I like the idea of all dynamic V (high powered) components having dedicated PSUs.

I have found an unreleased a9-9820 on alli express it has almost the same cpu as the Xbox one being an 8 cores at 2.35GHZ and is the same performance as a i5-7400, also it has an I built in r7 350 but at lower clock then the Xbox one. Amd driver should work so maybe try going on windows 10, I was thinking maybe you could test it in games and compare to the Xbox and see if the graphics and optimization of the xbox vs windows and then maybe do another video building into a Xbox one case. Here is the link. US $125.30
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1nRYB

Capture.PNG

J Harwood

Hugeeeee video idea

8 editors 1 cpu 400,000 build

mobo: Microcenter h11dsi-nt (dual epyc sockets)

CPU: Amd EPYC 7h12 x 2 each person gets 16 cores

ram: sk hynix ram from 2tb ram video

GPU: based on your need i picked the gv100 (dual for each)(to reach the price point)(quadro 8000 300,000 and 3090 250,000)

Storage: 870 qvos 8tb with my notebook dou 28 tb external for backup or bulk storage hdd, for the one nvme mp400 8tb

PSU,: triple ax1600i why you'll see later

Memory controllers

pcie optane for each

I didn't really understand oculink

Each gets a sound card

How to do that, oss backplanes from the 6 editors 1 cpu build, couldn't find the 8 pcie x16 but 2 5 pcie x16 connected together make 8, keep expanding until you reach 16 backplanes, 32 adapter thingies and 16 cables (optical active and inactive are the same price)(i chose gen 4 pcie even if the board is gen 3 because you can wait until amd releases zen 3 chips and there are consumer gen 4 motherboards)(this by itself is 25% of the build)

Cases: 17 1000d (1 for the motherboard, 1 for each daughter board )

Each will get max possible corsair cooling push pull rads with ql120 and the top uses the dual 480 radiator mounts sold seperate (sp3 uses same mounting as trx40) use ekwb blocks for the gpus if gv100 or quadro 8000

With all peripherals and monitors around 400,000

41 minutes ago, md2020 said:

is it possible or has anybody tried, to install windows ona 512gb micro SD?

I have both Windows 10 and Ubuntu installed on a 128GB microSD for troubleshooting purposes, no problem. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

usb controllers*

you could even have 16 editors with 8 cores instead if 16 cores

7 hours ago, md2020 said:

is it possible or has anybody tried, to install windows ona 512gb micro SD?
https://gyazo.com/a2e67b0e1f1da67b935895f5d2a65d67

They already tried that (well on a full-sized SD, but it's really the same concept so there would be no point in doing it again)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

How about a video roundup of the Galaxy note 9 vs iphone 11 pro vs iphone 12 pro max. I recently had the oppourtunity take a telephoto picture on my note 8 and an iphone 11 pro and the Note 8 had the same colors and was actually sharper. One photo isn't enough though and I really wonder if I should get a used 11 pro or go for the 12 or just keep my Note 8. Surely a lot of people are in this same boat.