Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

can you make some review about Zidoo companies I'm interesting to by our product but i don't know wish one!

Idea:

Collab with Gamers Nexus. Buy a crap ton of cheapo sketchy PSU's and see how dangerous they really are.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

How about;

CSF where the team plays Among Us, Dennis super sus. 

A so you've been stuck under a rock for 5/10 years series, where you look at advancements made in gpu/cpu/storage/motherboards etc. Some benchmarks at typical what was high end at the time of writing. Anthony would nail this! 

Keep up the good work guys, thank you for keeping us entertained during lockdown! 

my idea.why dont linus benchmark every nvidia flagship card from oldest to newest and compare cards performance and how have gpu evolved all that long

What happened to cell repeaters?

In my area, I'm literally in the middle of about 4 cell towers and get very poor reception in the house, even outside the house isn't great. With working from home becoming commonplace, and people taking calls from home, it could be a big issue. It impacts more than just calls, like delayed texts or even missed voicemails (one was only delivered a week after it was left, missing a family member's response to a job application).

I bought a cell repeater a number of years ago, and after just a couple of months it started malfunctioning to the point where telco technicians came out to tell me to turn it off as it was interfering with neighbours cell service.

Then came wifi calling, but it's not standard fare across providers. Does it tax telco systems more or less than a normal cell connection? Or are there statistically more people just using other audio calling apps to get around the issue that it's not a big deal anymore? With Linus able to extend his wifi signal down the block, maybe that's how many people are doing it these days?

I still have crap reception at my house and I'd kinda like to know what could be a great way to get around it.

Now that Linus has a Tesla, it would be interesting to dive into the connected nature of automotive technology. Specifically - how they connect to the internet.

For newer cars it might be easy to suggest they just connect via the latest G standard. But what about older cars? Nissan Leaf's were connected to their owners via 2G and an old app called "CarWings" that let you remotely figure out the battery status, and change things like climate controls from your phone - all the way back in 2011.

Since then, the 2G network was shuttered, and that app discontinued. Nissan offered an upgrade to 3G, but at a hefty price. Meanwhile on newer cars like Teslas you can summon it to your position autonomously. Freaking cool.

Is there some kind of connectivity consortium working on a standard module for auto makers that could be easily replaced as the standards evolve? Certified developers able to take the onus off of the car manufacturer for keeping apps that can control multiple functions of the cars updated (and secure)? Are any of these features so crucial to car's operation that it renders the vehicle obsolete (like planned obsolescence on smartphones for example) after a few years when the technology standards have changed and the warranty is up? Or is that a case that argues for features as a subscription?

So I know they have Junkyard wars but I think it would be really cool to see what they could build with just what they can find in thrift stores. I was in a thrift shop the other day and was able to find a working Cooler Master 600W PSU and my second monitor is a 24" Samsung monitor as well. I bet it would take a while but be pretty cool. Thank you for coming to my TEDtalk.

R2 Need 2 Upgrade

• ·       Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz - CPU
  • ·       GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H - MOBO
  • ·       MSI Radeon RX 570 8GT OC 8GB – GPU
  • ·       ADATA 120GB SSD + 1TB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM
  • ·       OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz - RAM
  • ·       Apevia ATX-SP600 Spirit 600W - PSU
  • ·       DeepCool MATREXX 55 V3 - Case

In France our schools make us buy the Numworks calculator. It's really good, it has an OS and you even program in python. I think this would make a great video for Anthony on short circuit.
Numworks: https://www.numworks.com/

image.thumb.png.9097f337f578259938dcdff3b425bb73.png

Ooh and it's open source both HW and SW, that is way cool... and very interesting it's being backed by schools, that isn't usually the type of thing they'd do.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I looked a the different thread options but I didn't see a better place to put this.

I was thinking of a cool video idea for LTT would be a competition between two masters on making a video intro but the twist is:

Master 1 would be allowed to use Blender, gimp, and audacity.

Master 2 would be allowed to use after effects, audition, and photoshop.

I have been learning blender for a year and I have found making video intros is kinda cool in blender.  I have also used after effects and found cool stuff can be done there.

The design that the participants would be making would be pre-determined and vetted just to make sure they can be done in both software suits.

I think it is a cool idea, I hope you do too :)

- Pup Shepard

My idea is a continuation of the now dead series kick-farted.

tldr: a $9 raspberry pi alternative with an optional touchscreen and keyboard to make it portable

The Kickstarter project i think you should look at is CHIP - The World’s First Nine Dollar Computer. It was a small raspberry pi type computer running some form of Linux that was intended to only cost $9. However, what I think is special about it isn’t the fact that it only cost $9, I think it is the optional accessory called pocketC.H.I.P. The CHIP plugs right into the back of the pocketchip and it is now portable. Around the size of a 2ds (my best estimate after not seeing one for a while), it has a touch screen that worked surprisingly well and a keyboard. 
It looks to be intended for use a tiny inexpensive computer, but it came preloaded with a number of games making it more like a portable gaming device for around $50 (pocketchip and the chip itself). I even got Minecraft to work on it.

It came out in 2016 and while it did send out to backers, the company itself closed around 2018 without bringing the product to market. I have not been able to find out why. However, you can still buy leftover stock from their shop. If you can’t get it there and are interested in it, I do have the pocketchip and chip in near mint condition that has been used a few times since 2016 that I would be willing to part with.

I think lmg could make a great video on reviewing the chip and pocketchip and comparing them to other similar alternatives. I do not know much about it, but if it is possible, a video making the pocketchip work with a raspberry pi would be very cool.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Hi, Linus can you try liquid cool a pc but use dry water instead of regular water ? Here's a video to dry water , it would look awesome ,Please try it !

There are auction websites that sell liquidation pallets of items from amazon and other retailers. I don't know the rules for posting websites in this thread but if you google "amazon liquidation auctions" you can find sellers and there is one major one with a warehouse in Canada. Most provide a manifest of items in the pallet as well.

I think it would make an interesting and fun video to document the purchasing of some pallets with the intent of building a computer and seeing what you can create from buying some of the pallets, how good the computer would be, and then selling or estimating the amount of money you would make selling the rest of the pallet off to determine what the ultimate end cost of the computer would be. I've looked at a few of the manifests and I've rarely seen cases, so maybe the video could be formed as an upgrading your current computer for free, or upgrade your computer and make money, upgrade computer on the cheap, etc. it would depend on how/what the team bought and the difference from what the pallet cost and what you could sell the remaining items for.

It would be a variation of the "we bought this crazy thing in china" videos. Buy the pallets, make the best possible computer from the pallets, sell the remaining items from the liquidation pallets and see what your net cost for the computer would be.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I have always wondered about different mounting techniques like vertical GPUS and Top Mounted PSU and so on. I always want to make the most out of my expansion cards or RGB RAMMMMMMM. (when i eventually get the money to make one) but I think  a video on unique and interesting mounting tips would be pretty cool. As i have heard Vertically mounting your GUP is bad? due to air flow? Then why do it? 

thanks for the read :) 

"If you're familiar with the server world, you might likely know that there are a TON of proprietary connectors that, electrically, all basically use the PCIE standard. So why not just... adapt them? Today, we're going to be adding DUAL 10 gigabit Ethernet to a desktop computer, on-the-cheap, which is great! Almost as great as the sponsor of today's video-"

https://hackaday.com/2020/10/03/faster-desktop-ethernet-with-server-network-adapters/

In this article user "TobleMiner" developed a custom PCB for adapting the HP Enterprise FlexibleLOM connector to PCIE 8x

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-649869-001-HPE-FLEXIBLELOM-10GB-2-PORT-530FLR-SFP-256M-ADAPTER-FOR-G8/254510031675?hash=item3b41fae33b:g:MZUAAOSwnu1eatDU

Cards using this standard can be found for cheap with TWO of these dual 10 gig card as low as $20 (not including transceivers)

Benchmark Games, that will be run on GPU VRAM as seen here, with the Program that can be found there.
Also running some Benchmarks like CrystalMark and compairing GDDR6 vs GGDR5 and so on and so on, while then letting it also compare to the real Deal like a normal SSD and the normal Game Experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some rando girl that like programming and graphics design

i also read a lot of books and like anime
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linus Torvalds recently wished that AVX-512 instructions "die a slow and painful death", basically accusing Intel for inserting these instructions to make their CPUs look on benchmarks rather than actually caring about the quality of their CPUs. Those are pretty bold claims. Could you try to test them? One could use existing software which supports AVX-512, run it on Intel and AMD systems and check if those new instructions make up for the lack of core count on Intel. Alternatively, one could try to compile the same open-source software (Blender?) with AVX-512 flags enabled and disabled, and to check the difference in performance on the same Intel system.

Techquickie videos about networking, and possible guides on how to do setups (not sure if that's something techquickie would consider doing), and even better, show possible errors that arrive and how to fix them,

it's too often i try to follow a guide and then for some reason i get an error, and then the rest of the tutorial is useless

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

I know that unraid has been focused on a lot for multiple users on one computer.

However has LTT ever found a user limit to it?

Would it be possible to drive a computer lab of 30 users from a custom build?  

This would not be the most expensive computer, and if there was a build guide it could be really helpful for schools.

Please build the worlds first system with four watercooled RTX 3090 to achieve 3000 Mrays/s.

For testing real-time path tracing on this machine you may want to get in touch with the original author of the Brigade Engine:
https://jacco.ompf2.com/lighthouse-2-rtx-path-tracing-benchmark/
https://ompf2.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2158

Brigade 2 demo:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/brigade-2-demo-real-time-raytracing-engine-download.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20130323204243/http://igad.nhtv.nl/~bikker/files/brigade2_r2017.zip

There is a REALLY cool ultra rare keyboard that was kinda a prototype thing, there are some in the world, it's called the Optimus Maximus keyboard. It has OLED keys for every key, like the streamdeck but on a full keyboard. It's designed in 2005 started pre orders in 2008 and never was sent. But some people have them. Search up on Google "Optimus Maximus keyboard and you'll find some things, it'd be so cool if you can make a video on this! Found one for sale on ebay, includes the keyboard, 3 spare OLED keys, power supply, SD card with firmware and layout and original box. Comes from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and is Canadian $1,699.99. Not my ebay sale by the way.

Photo printer or printer that able paint low resolution picture to good quality photo.