Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Fully water cooled PC

I saw a ram cooling block online, so I was wondering, Given that we can now buy water cooling blocks for every major component of a PC (cpu, mobo, Ram, gpu, SSD) has anyone tried putting every possible watercooled thing into one rig?

Water cooled Nintendo Switch? and over clock the snot out of it?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

Collaborate with Christopher Barnatt from explainingcomputers.com to make the fastest gaming SBC.

OR

A benchmark for the really fast 5100mhz ram shown in the fake ebay intel xeon 8136 video. I was really curious about the ram, but Linus had to lower it's clock speed because of support issues.

Please install windows 10 on ram using the 2tb ram machine!

Yes it is possible.

For real... What happened to the Der8auer Pumpless Cooler??

16 hours ago, Ficent said:

Fully water cooled PC

I saw a ram cooling block online, so I was wondering, Given that we can now buy water cooling blocks for every major component of a PC (cpu, mobo, Ram, gpu, SSD) has anyone tried putting every possible watercooled thing into one rig?

I remember seeing something along those lines a long time ago, don't remember where tho. Even the PSU was "watercooled".

Since the consoles are starting to look more and more like PCs (Zen 2 processor, RDNA 2 graphics, NVMe SSD expansion ports, etc.), would it be possible to for example run Windows on a PS5? More interestingly, would it be possible to run whichever custom OS the PS5 is using on a Windows computer and play PS5 games on a PC?

Some things I'd love to see:

• Vivaldi (the browser) on LTT or Short Circuit
  • Matrix/Element as an open source (& optionally self hosted) alternative to Discord & IRC
  • I'd even enjoy seeing a FOSS series or spin off channel/podcast
  • 1usmus's Ryzen Clock Tuner 1.0 release video

Even though Ubuntu Touch was dropped by Canonical, it was picked up by the community, so its development is still ongoing, and the selection of devices on which it can run is pretty decent: https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/

I tried to install it on my Nexus 5, and it is very close to be daily-driver ready. Would you mind looking at it?

Suggestion:
Explainvideo, Why does a Processor (be it central or graphical) even *consume* power, meaning why does all the power drawn gets converted to heat energie (and marginal mechanical energy for fans, light energy for LED)

The drawn power flows trough the grid of transistors flipping bits in the memory for calculating stuff. But when the power has taken it's path, why doesn't it flow back in the PSU and then back into the maingrind.

Sure there is some resistance in the traces of the GPU and some in the transistors, but why does it pretty much all get converted to heat, why is nothing left over to go back into the grid?

can you review the Huion kanvas 22 plus?

Spoiler

Because Huion in the past used to false advertise their product such as the kanvas 20 pro, they claimed it to be a laminated ips 120% srgb display while none of those was true

It wasn't laminated, the display actually underneath was a tft one (innolux m200hjj l20 xc), nor was a 120% srgb (slightly less that 100%), futhermore it suffered from nasty ghosting and flickering

There are many other sub brands, but all of them can be tracked down to the same companies (oems), at least for the em module they should be more or less the same(since they do have also really, but really closed policies), they might differer with the display and case structure though:

Haveways (which is related to huion), Morgantouch, ugeetech, emright (it seems a ghost company though)

Price of several hardware components has increased sometimes by 40% over a year ago, in Canada at least.  Just as an example, the nice LG 34GK950F-B 34 monitor I purchased at the beginning of the year for 1034$ now retails for over 1800$.  And that's just one example.

Linus has an extensive experience of this industry and has seen the up and down cycles.  The canadian dollar being a petro dollar that's highly influence by the price of crude oil is one reason things are so expensive now.  Tariffs are another one.  And with everybody being stuck working at home, many have chosen to upgrade their computer. 

I would be very interested to hear what Linus has to say about this. 

4 hours ago, Voigt said:

The drawn power flows trough the grid of transistors flipping bits in the memory for calculating stuff. But when the power has taken it's path, why doesn't it flow back in the PSU and then back into the maingrind.

For the same reason that when you pour water from a bottle into a glass the water doesn't just jump back up into the bottle on its own... energy always flows from high to low potential. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

@AlexTheGreatish

We've seen what current car technology has to offer in this video...

But what about 65 years ago (1955) when the Citroen DS was launched?

I'd love to see a video comparing Linus' Chevy Volt to the Citroen DS, you may need to hunt one down but I think it would be worth it. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Consider this LTT video about screen perception based on the resolution, the size of the screen, and the viewing distance.

Yesterday, I did some math on my own living room setup (using https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship ) and found that based on my ~14'6" viewing distance, achieving perceived actual 4K is impossible for me because the room isn't big enough; and based on my 55" TV, I was likely viewing 1080p content and only perceiving about 720p of it on my 4K TV. I did switch between 1080p and 720p and found little difference, so it was pretty accurate. Yikes.

So, you could do a video where you have a "living room" setup, and then solve for the TV size and viewing distance. You would start with a modest living room gaming setup running at 4k with the settings as high as can get a solid 60 FPS. (You would need a 4k TV that can get higher than 60 FPS for this video) Then turn the resolution down and the settings and refresh rate up further, possibly even enabling ray tracing. At the conclusion you could give your thoughts on doing such a thing and on if it's possible to get a better experience with a lower resolution based on all these factors.

This has wider implications, especially related to game consoles such as the new Xbox and PS5. I could imagine a setup wizard to where you would input the screen size, max refresh rate and viewing distance, and the console could use settings to get the best experience. Since all major Xbox and Playstation games have to go through Microsoft and Sony respectively, they could set up something more advanced than just Low, Medium, and High. The console could use a sort of "settings array" to prioritize certain things and use the best settings for any setup on each game. The console could also use completely different settings when viewing movies or other media.

Recently, million of parents around the world suddenly needed devices to help homeschool kids, with sharp increase in sales of cheap laptop. But kids from underserved communities around the world are missing classes and falling behind due to lack of access to simple technology. 

PLEASE consider doing video(s) to teach less tech-savvy parents in how to repurpose old computers/tablets to be fast enough to do Zoom and Web browsing. I personally have helped a number of families by doing basic cleaning/debloating/HDD->SSD replacement. LMG has covered these topics before in individual videos, but maybe combining them to address this topic would reach a new audience for the channel, given its international reach. Other ideas would be showing how to use a rasberrypi/Linux/old monitor to make a functional computer for a kid to do homeschooling. LMG writers can be very creative and expand this idea, I am sure. 😁 Imagine the international impact that LMG to so many kids worldwide! 💪

Honestly, many families have struggled during the last 7 months, and Linux seems tone deaf  when he offers thousands of dollars for a HotWheels PC while he could do a video(s) about helping the underserved communities to have access to low-spec computers for kids to be able to study. Giving back to the community seems undervalued at LMG currently.      

Don't get me wrong, most of us are brought to LMG videos for the new great tech, but topics such Scrapyard Wars (RIP!) were popular because we feel that anyone can do it too with limited funds.  

Since you guys recently made the all aliexpress PC and have reviewed weird watercooling from there. I would love to see a video on an all aliexpress, but like actually viable, watercooling loop(+-watercooling on a budget). Would be interested in the price/trust/quality differences between aliexpress and the usual candidates. 

Scrapyard Wars - Coronavirus Edition

One or two employees (Bankers) hold the keys to the LMG warehouse inventory. They decide what and how much to sell things from the inventory for.

Up to 4 individuals or teams have to do a dash with a budget to buy the best parts (or most balanced) in the building. Budget should be restrictive so that the best parts can't be used. Bonus points for exotic cooling, modded cases, basically the weirder and more creative the better. But you can only use the resources INSIDE the LMG warehouse, and no going outside for any reason.

If there's enough interest in one item, an auction can take place, conducted by the bankers. Nobody is allowed the same one component as anyone else (no duplicates).

@AlexTheGreatish's time with any of the engineering equipment is charged at like $100/hour and he can only work for one team at a time.

CURRENT: intel i9-10900K ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero ROG Strix RTX 3090 32GB 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RM1000i Lian Li O11-Dynamic

OFFICE: intel i5-3570K ASUS Z77 mITX EVGA GTX 970 SC 16GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP Silverstone SFX PSU Fractal Design Node 202

Hey all, I've been watching all tech youtubers for awhile but what I haven't seen and fail to find a great video on are case fans. Now dont get me wrong there are alot of them with locations and air flow but not connectors or voltage or fan hubs or controllers. Everyone tends to skip the way you can program 4pin but not 3 pin or pwm control vs smart control. I actually burned out the system fan control header on my board due to having no info available on youtube. So now I run splitters off of the 2nd fan header on my board. For instance I bought this from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LDYKQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_-cqHFb9VCPWAY

And was surprised with both types of connectors on the fans. With little knowledge of what to plug in where or what connector was better or if there was any danger of overloading my power supply. 

Before everyone hounds me to read a manual the ones I bought (I'm broke and went with lowest cost) didnt come with a manual or even a arrow to show direction of air flow. So to google I went to search. 

I'm running a prebuilt system with a generic case with a rx580 with only 1 stick of 8 gb ram. And a ryzen 5 with the stock fan cooler for it.  Also a b450 motherboard.  Love all the videos! 

As you know, gaming on smartphones can make the phone run hot and gets lags.

Putting the load on a pc - gaming pc - through an vm or emulator the games would be much more enjoyable.

So what I would like to see is a video on a pc with at least 2 monitors at least one of them a touchscreen preferably no bigger then ipad.

There are games like mobile legends or probably any MOBA  that are much more comfortable playing of touchscreen and there are games that are better with mouse and keyboard like shooter games.

Games like pubg that are paid in pc versions are free on mobile platforms and are as enjoyable and I would love to see it and other demanding games being run on the highest setting.

And if possible running benchmarks..

I feel that there could be a lot of advantages of android gaming on pc a few of which could be prolong battery life, free up space off the phone, and a better experience overall for both the phone and the user/player.

Compensator Mk IV (Follow-up to Compensator 3, 2.0, and the original "Most Insane Build Ever")

Threadripper Zen 3

Ampere "Quadro Level" Cards

Max RAM, NimbasData Exadrive???

I'd like to see an aesthetic change from unicorn vomit to minimalism, just to make each iteration unique. And the version 3 case choice was functionally terrible. 

You're probably already planning this video due to the flood of great hardware this year, but just wanted to point this out. 

Also, a cheeky idea, name this one Compensator V just like AMD's desktop processors this year. 

This has probably been recommended already, but building a custom pinball machine would be a cool idea. It would be a little similar to the arcade project, but I don't know if that is technically "tech" related. 

Checking the difference between powering GPU (especially highend) via two cables and one daisy chained. Is there difference in wattage, temperature of cables/connectors or some kind of stability issues etc.