Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

So.. about the changes to the steam cdn breaking all the steamcache stuff..

How about a follow up vid?

(Because this will affect your LAN gaming center at work)

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Converting an AIO water cooler into a custom water cooling loop. May be helpful for those who have dead pumps and want to retain their CPU block and radiator from their AIO.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Whenever I read a review of a newer laptop that costs between 100 - 300 dollars, there is always people saying that buying used is better at that pricepoints. Now, that's probably true, since it does holds true on the desktop (Riley's videos on the cheapest PC on Amazon). But which laptop? Many people have said thinkpad, but which thinkpad? There's the T420, T430, X240, X230. And there's also option other than thinkpad like Dell Latitude or 2013 Macbook Air.

Would be interesting to see a detailed review and comparison on what, why, and weird quirks for each choices. Also, might stop people commenting that they can't afford stuff everytime.

Yeah, since it's used it will vary between regions but I have done some research and it seems that at least for Thinkpad and Dell Latitude, the prices is pretty consistent even in a third world country like Indonesia, where I live.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

PLEEEAASSEE CHECK OUT HOME ASSISTANT (HASS.IO)!!! It is literally the most amazing thing. You can control anything on your local network and write automations. It is so fun. There are endless opportunities. I even can now control my liftmaster MyQ garage with Google assistant without paying the subscription! And it is compatible with basically everything and voice assistants. I can write automations such as "when I put a movie on the tv, automatically dim the lights, turn on RGB strips (of course), and arm the security system." I can do endless things with the automations. It is also a control panel for all your stuff. I can "when someone rings the door bell, notify all the TV's and phones, and smart speakers" basically everything is possible. It would make the best video ever.

All you need is a low end computer. (check)

Edit: I got bored so I'll add more possibilities so you get the point.

-Add motions sensors, so when I walk in the room, turn on the TV, the PC, and the lights.

-most devices you add, can be added to your Google home app (I don't know about Alexa or Siri)

-at 7:30, broadcast (tts) "almost bed time"

at 8pm, turn off all TV's, broadcast (Google tts) "bedtime" and dim the lights.

-"Hey Google, it's party time"

** Plays music on the TV's and speakers, makes all the lights and RGB strips (we have to) change colors.

I'll add more later. Look on google/youtube or my other post 

I LOVE the factory tours and such. The Cyclotron tour was really fascinating. I gotta say I really like the informative videos. I remember the Cherry MX factory tour. BUT I hear GMK keycaps were originally Cherry and they split off to a separate company.

SO.... Is Linus up for another trip to Deútschland? ?  BEST quality keycaps in the world!

It really depend on where you live and which products are available at the time. We can't really recommend a specific model. What's available here might not be where you are.

A brand new laptop, for 300$... would be a super low power Chromebook or the likes.
Hence why a used laptop, maybe a few years old by now are much better in comparaison. (might need to get a new battery though, so factor that in the price)

For example, for 300$ Canadian(225$ USD), I can get this
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834847378&ignorebbr=1

• Intel Core i5 5th Gen 5300U (2.30 GHz)  -  score of 3819 on passmark CPU mark
  • 8 GB Memory
  • 128 GB SSD
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

That price tag nets me one of these

Windows:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235129&ignorebbr=1

• Intel Celeron N4000 (1.10 GHz)    -  score of 1468 on passmark CPU mark
  • 4 GB Memory
  • 64 GB eMMC SSD
  • 1366 x 768
  • Windows 10 S 64-bit

Chomebook:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAEUX6C82932&ignorebbr=1

That Windows 10 S version will hurt, 64GB is barely enough, 4GB of RAM doesn't cut it these days especially with RAM hungry web browsers... Not to mention the super low power CPUs in both of these brand new machines of the same price. I literally get double the RAM, double the storage and more than double the CPU performance if I got with the used route.... AND it's Windows 10 PRO. Meaning I'd get access to pro features like bitlocker.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well, their 69 dollars gaming PC also wouldn't work everywhere because every region is different, right? Same like this, I'm basically suggesting them to make that video but this time with a laptop instead of a desktop/

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

If they did, every refurb and used laptops would increase in price, just like how you can't really find a used desktop for that cheap anymore.

Basically, go with whichever is "newer" CPU wise and fits your budget. Look up benchmarks to compare the CPU between various models as well(I quite like Passmark's CPU Mark, it's a quick and dirty way to find out if a CPU is better than another one, if the scores are similar, look up actual benchmarks)

How much RAM it has (anything less than 8GB today is no good).

How much storage space.

Which version of Windows... 

If spare batteries for it are available online because you'll need one...

Be careful of the "grade" it might have if it's a refurb, A grade is near perfect, B grade has some aesthetic issues but nothing major while C grade is not even worth mentioning, broken chassis and what not.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

In depth LMG backup solution tour as a longer LTT video (or series)

Tech Quickie about the basics and best practices of backing up

-(BackBlaze, Time Machine, etc) to get to best backup practices such as the common 3-2-1

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/

I know there was a "hacking our backup to google" sort of thing a long while back, but I'd love to see an in depth "tour of the LMG backup solution, and why we chose these products vs others that we considered."  Please include software information and how it works with your media management solution, and what all of your data you actually back up in which places (considering 8k footage is silly large).   Maybe floatplane would be easier, but probably not as interesting to as many people, as they would have some similar challenges with content, but not the content creation workflows to also back up that more people would probably find enlightening.

power supply efficiency ratings.. how much would you actually save and is it worth it.

can you still use 2010 phones in 2019?

(test out multiple different phones)

I would like to see an in depth video for low power hardware capabilities. Power consumption is always my main concern, but I also want a capable machine.

As for now, it would seem a Ryzen 5 2400GE is the best on the market for performance/energy efficiency, being better than a GT 1030 and using a maximum 35W at full load being a quad core cpu too. The apu is also much much better than intel's equivalent igpu. I'm not interested in mobile platforms due to the BGA sockets and lack of ports.

I want to see measurements of power from the wall and what software says about how much power, and the effect of using a titanium power supply (lowest I could find is 600W) since they have 90%+ at 10% load. 

With an SSD, a Mini-ITX AM4 desktop with Ryzen 5 2400GE would probably use 50W at full load and be able to play Tomb Raider at 30+fps on Ultra Settings at low resolution (13XXx768?), which to me is very impressive

Could do a build off on who can build the most out of date yet still working computer. No compensating. The point is to do as much as possible with out of date tech. Like normal people do.  Would be hysterical to see them overclocking trying to keep those things remotely cool.  an old athlon or phenom. No single core, quad, or 6 core .  Triple core is ok. The temps on some of those athlons were atrocious. Then just have them all play doom95 with each other. Cause counter strike is for slow poke fairy princesses..

Connect a GPU to a Phone.

Here's the magic sauce that should make this possible: http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/USB3380EVB.html
It's a PCIe USB adapter, but not in the "usual" direction, rather it lets you attach a PCIe gen2 device to a USB controller.

Importantly, there's a (somewhat low-quality) video showing them using it to attach a GPU to a laptop, so this is definitely possible:

Clearly, LTT needs to get one of these and use it to attach a massively overpowered GPU to an Android phone.

In terms of software support:

Drivers for the USB3380 have been in the mainline linux kernel since 2014 (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/adc82f77bee3487651f8ad253fb1c8a7bf4ec658), and are merged into android since at least Nougat (https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/common/+/refs/heads/android-3.18-n-release/include/linux/usb/usb338x.h).

GPU support is probably a bit trickier and will probably require rooting the phone for a manual install.

For NVidia as far as I can tell the best driver available for ARM is 384.69 (https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/123130/en-us), meaning you probably can't go any newer than a 1080 Ti.

For AMD you can build their AMDGPU open-source driver from source for your arch, but it doesn't look like there's a precompiled driver available.

Edit - just found the pricetag; the USB3380-AB EVK-RC kit with all the accessories needed to make it work is $362 USD (plus $48 shipping). The purchase link isn't that obvious though, from the first page I linked you have to scroll down to http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/USB3380EVB.html#TabbedPanels1, click the "USB3380-AB EVK-RC" tab and then just click directly on the paypal icon.

In this video, there's something that Linux didn't explore. That is eGPU through expresscard port on laptop. There are cheap used high-end-6-years-ago laptop like thinkpad x230 that has expresscard and cost like 200-300 dollars max. From that i've read, you'll need a psu (doesn't have to be a beefy one), a gpu, and these thing https://egpu.io/expresscard-2-0-egpu-interface-pros-cons-candidate-notebook-list/

Main Rig :

Laptop :

Hi Everyone! First time poster here, please forgive any mistakes. I was thinking earlier today how much I love finding problems and fixing them. Sure its frustrating sometimes if you just want to build your new rig and it doesn't boot but when I help friends and family and they describe their issue to me with their computer/phone/electronics I find it interesting, especially if it is a weird fault that I don't know how to fix straightaway. I would love to see a video where two guys from the LTT team are given a faulty computer each with a known fault and they have to find and resolve it before each other. It would be even better if you don't tell the viewer what the problem is so that we can play along at home.

I dunno about anyone else but tech issues peak my curiosity and I just want to get in there and find the resolution. I especially like it when a problem stumps me and I have to maybe ask a colleague for help, they may tell me something I didn't know. The feeling I get when I fix a problem for someone is amazing. I used to work in a telephone tech support role so maybe its just me. I used to love it when a customer would come on the phone and for example their website was down, they would tell me that they've tried everything and no one has been able to help. I loved taking on the problem, listening to them describing the weird behaviour, then sitting and thinking, frowning at the screen and trying one thing after another, eliminating the variables until I found the issue. The feeling I got when I got things working again was pure elation. I loved going back and telling the customer it was all fixed. Their reaction made it all worth it. They would be so so grateful and tell me how they had spoken to so many of my colleagues but I was the only one who managed to help them. 

As it turns out the downside of my job was that I would speak to alot of customers who were really unpleasant, swearing, shouting and making personal comments. After 7 years in the role I developed severe anxiety. Just thinking about work would make my heart race and my mouth go dry. After I developed full blown panic attacks I couldn't work anymore. Some days its really bad and I cant even leave my house. Thats when I re-found LTT on Youtube. I still love computers and technology and LTT lets me still enjoy it even when I'm at home. I would love to see them diagnosing a faulty computer so I can live vicariously. Setting two of the LTT against each other would be pretty exciting. Or maybe even against the clock. Its seems such a big part of owning a computer is fixing problems with it, even if youre not a computer tech.

Sorry for the long post, lol. What do you guys think? Linus mentioned once before that sometimes an idea on paper doesn't actually film well but I would be interested what everyone else thinks.

Post this here

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Tbh this doesn't seem like it would fit to LTTs current content list. But Jayz2Cents has done few videos about basic troubleshooting. Using actual rigs, one with faulty drive, another with faulty GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can you guys or Linus do a video about MIDI software and hardware, because I'm having trouble understanding the concept of midi and was wounder if it was possable to put a video out about that and I have all ready look on your YouTube channel(s).

Razer Blade Pro got a big refresh, it looks to have fixed everything @LinusTechcomplained about in the old Blade Pro.

Maybe worth a third chance? I have been personally waiting for the "Note 9 of Laptops". Manageably sized, but no compromises. Might be it, hm? Im sure this is in the works, as I am unaware of a Razer laptop Linus hasn't covered. But still wanted to point it out! https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Try to get the highest 4K speed on something like an Intel Optane 900P. Apparently you need a strong CPU. RAID is bad for 4K speeds so dont do it

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

https://www.raptorcs.com/ These guys have computers that already support PCIe 4 (although it's PowerPC/POWER9), see how fast you can get a storage drive (no M.2 slots though)

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Are affordable server build guides going to ever happen? Would be great if there was more server content but not only the ridiculous advanced stuff you guys currently have. Maybe competition series on making affordable versions of all the different types of servers.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

On 5/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Tbh this doesn't seem like it would fit to LTTs current content list. But Jayz2Cents has done few videos about basic troubleshooting. Using actual rigs, one with faulty drive, another with faulty GPU.

It doesn't really make sense to create a troubleshooting video when the creators already know the problem and solution. LTT when Linus gets involved usually has videos going through his troubleshooting problems and how his thought process is. That would be more valuable than trying to create a video for every type of problem. Like LTT server builds. Linus always has issues to solve there. Those are fun.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

Please make a video of building a completely immersed computer like the mineral oil PC but with this stuff instead: