Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

In my honest opinion the colors of some of your videos (most if not all of TechLinked) looks washed out. Maybe the lighting is not optimal, but just a bit of simple contrast will fix the issue. It might be just a personal taste, but i like colors to be a little "sharper". See an example in this GIF.

ltt.gif

Let me know if i should consider making an all Aliexpress PC. LTT is welcome to use my idea in a future video because I think it would be a good idea for someone else to try it before I try doing it myself. Edit: Thanks for the feedback

1 minute ago, Skattpunk64 said:

Let me know if i should consider making an all Aliexpress PC

Would it be good?

No.

Would it be interesting?

Absolutely.

Go for it, and blog/film/write your experiences on doing it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I only trust Aliexpress for old CPUs and server stuff because the market is flush with old server equipment, an Aliexpress Graphics card would be rather a dubious item indeed, and I don't even know about getting a quality PSU.

I know some things can be bought legit, but the fun "chinese cheapo" PCs come from a combination of vendors, both local and online.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'd watch this. Sounds like a good video for @GabenJr

Possible ideas:

- 771 to 775 mod, which is big on Ali

- Weird Chinese motherboards

- Flashed GPUs 

- "Kingston" RAM. 

Then all the fun design stuff like RAM covers, Clear cases, "Nvidia" graphics card coolers, all the janky but fun stuff to find. Even saw an AGP to USB 3.0 card somewhere. 

What about a a build using only the cheapest liquid cooling components on eBay  (sorting price low to high on everything used in the loop).

6 hours ago, brncrsh said:

In my honest opinion the colors of some of your videos (most if not all of TechLinked) looks washed out. Maybe the lighting is not optimal, but just a bit of simple contrast will fix the issue. It might be just a personal taste, but i like colors to be a little "sharper". See an example in this GIF.

ltt.gif

So does the set and lighting of "Tech Quickie": 

Image result for techquickie

Personally, the depressing gray background is kinda ruins the viewing experience sometimes. Even white would be an improvement. I find myself either hesitating to click on the channel or checking back once or twice a month ~ a noticeable contrast to the multiple times I check the other 2 channels each week.

Linus and Company, please update the background for TechQuickie videos. You might attract more new viewers that way (and not bore regulars).

Here is my idea (I'm currently doing this, but want to watch LTT do it better) : Make a Linux Monster, with KVM GPU Passthrough for CHEAP - with an "L" series Haswell Xeon!

The goals:

1. Take a non-K "L" (Low Power) chip - and make it run for extended (continuous?) periods at max TurboBoost speeds

2. Run it on Linux (because Windows 7 is leaving us, and Linux is becoming more and more user-friendly)

3. Pass through a GPU to the VM so you can game, CAD, video edit on this thing with non-Linux software

4. Use Looking Glass so that you only need one Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse - because this is a budget build, and because that's what's convenient. 

So you start out with an older (~Haswell [non -E]) CPU, Xeon's are cool for this, I'm using an e3-1265L v3.

I chose this CPU because:

1. I just happen to have compatible hardware

2. It was cheap

3. It's a Xeon with integrated graphics which is great for me since I want to passthrough my discrete GPU (GTX 1060 3GB) to a KVM

BONUS: There's a lot of stuff out on the internet suggesting that many motherboard chipsets (Z97 included - which is what I currently have) support Vt-d to the PCIe v3.0 x16 slot that goes directly to the CPU, even though the motherboard chipset does not support Vt-d, this is actually well documented. So, for even more fun - do all of this on a Z97 board. 

Then you do things to make it run cool - trying to safely keep your CPU running at max (single-thread) TurboBoost speeds, all the time, while using all the cores.

1. Delid that thing! Why? It's a cheap CPU and we want it to stay oh-so-cool so that it safely runs as fast as possible

2. Remove TurboBoost time limits - use (preferably) BIOS or XUT if you must to lock CPU clock to its TurboBoost max

3. Strap a redonculous CPU cooler onto this

- It doesn't have to be that crazy, I'm going for a used Noctua air cooler

- But it's easy to do overkill when you are starting with a 45W TDP CPU

4. If you want to go nuts (and it's an LTT video - so yes please) then "lap" the IHS while it's delidded for marginal gains

Now plug it in, fire it up, set up your GPU passthrough to a Windows 10 gaming VM and see how much juice you can squeeze out of your budget "L" series Xeon!! 

Maybe you can start a new trend in Budget PC Builds, and be green at the same time by giving new life to old CPU's!

Edited by ccbtg
BONUS

So here's a bit of an insane idea @LinusTech and @Slick (tagging you both to increase the chance that one of you sees it).

A collab video with Alec Steele. I don't know what, but have him forge something computer related.

My first thought is, get your hands on a Caselabs case and have him hand forge some outer panels for it to give it a unique look, then do a cool build in it, then maybe auction it off for charity or something?

I actually have a very specific idea for the panels. Specifically for an SMA8 Magnum case. Basically have him do the same thing that he did for his 2nd Chefs Knife, but for a computer case.

Timestamped to the finished product.

Basically that sort of arrow pattern, running up the front side of the case. The panels themselves would be shaped in a sort of "streamliner" shape, similar to the old streamliner camper trailers. With the pattern running up the front like so

\/

\/

\/

etc.

Or hell, you could simply get him to make a damascus pattern front panel for some of the stuff in the server room or in the server rack style builds Linus had in his home.

The overall point, is hand forged case or case panels. It would be epic. Plus you could challenge your camera operators with shooting amazingly epic B-roll of the items being made.

Dare I suggest something as insane as putting a nearly molten hot piece of metal in Linus's hands, and having him feed it into a power hammer?

If you get the chance Linus, take it. There's few things in this world that are as immediately satisfying as hammering extremely hot metals. Something about it that is uniquely primal and visceral. Also, it's INSANELY GOOD for relieving stress. Just make sure to wear a hat or something under your safety hood for the inevitable and enjoyable shower of sparks.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hello!

My gf complains about my high keyboard noise, i am using the "old" ms sidewinder x6. You guys have made videos about the buttons, switches etc.. but whats the best one that is also silent at the same time and is good for gaming? i would love to see a video about it so i would know what to buy!

thanks!

What about the process of upgrading consoles with internal SSDs? 

I recently took the lousy 1TB 5400rpm drive from my Xbox one X and replaced it with a Samsung 860 Pro 1TB.

It took maybe an hour of my time at most and was interesting to figure out. There is a YouTube channel called Xfix that has created a step by step process but it was hard to find.

What about a blind review of Dell experience over a period of time? From ordering, to receiving to if there are hardware issues/warranty what the failure/process is?

Seems like a lot of people have hardware issues with dell, and of course a review unit is going to not have those issues.

I was wondering if LMG team would look into making the ultimate home theater setup or look into this projector screen which as far as I know nobody did compared it or review it probably.

Black diamond screen
it have multiple versions.
https://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/black-diamond/

some idea's :
1-
maybe combine the Dell S718QL  projector that was there in some videos 
2- compare it to other black screen projectors etc.. to see if it really improve the image quality.
3- add the dolby speakers :3 and that amazing dell projector voila you got the ultimate home theater.

XD I know its very expensive. maybe contact them and get a review sample.

6 hours ago, sailorpixel said:

What about a blind review of Dell experience over a period of time? From ordering, to receiving to if there are hardware issues/warranty what the failure/process is?

Seems like a lot of people have hardware issues with dell, and of course a review unit is going to not have those issues.

They kinda did it already with Alienware in a 4-part series, but it would be interesting to see how far the system lasts over 4-6 months. 

Spoiler

I'm personally never buying anything Dell after both of my family's Inspiron laptops died (multiple crashes then rapidly degrading performance over the next 2 years) ?

5 hours ago, 1988fido said:

I was wondering if LMG team would look into making the ultimate home theater setup or look into this projector screen which as far as I know nobody did compared it or review it probably.

Black diamond screen
it have multiple versions.
https://www.screeninnovations.com/materials/black-diamond/

some idea's :
1-
maybe combine the Dell S718QL  projector that was there in some videos 
2- compare it to other black screen projectors etc.. to see if it really improve the image quality.
3- add the dolby speakers :3 and that amazing dell projector voila you got the ultimate home theater.

XD I know its very expensive. maybe contact them and get a review sample.

Yep they can totally spice up their already ballsy setup even more: ?

Spoiler

On 4/9/2019 at 11:20 AM, Kinder said:

How about an open challenge to the office to build a Stealth PC. (things that should not be pc's)

Set a decent budget.

Cameras can follow each person involved like a reality show to record progress and failures/ challenges they have to overcome with their design.

And no retro game system chassis.

Lets see how creative your team can be!

We, the viewers can vote on the winner. ;)

For motivation from just some random guy my HTPC.....

Pics show her with; 15-7500T, Noctura low profile cooler, Gigabyte H170TN, 16GB ram, 960 Evo 250GB M.2.

She has been upgraded with i7-8600, 16GB Vengence 3200Mhz RGB, Z390 Phantom ITX.

Front mount USB's 3.0, cockpit has PWR/ HDD etc LEDs and PW/ Reset switches.

20171107_203940_zpsje1tulx5.JPG

20171107_204001_zps1rh80uiq (1).JPG

20171107_204540_zpsuiw3ng4f.JPG

Maybe add a few of these and make a "THIS MILLENIUM FALCON SLEEPER FLIES!" video?

Spoiler

LMG's first flying PC:

Spoiler

Can you build an 8tb 3.5'' sata 3 SSD using :  4 x  WD Blue 3D NAND 2TB  + 2 x Startech Dual-Slot M.2 Drive to SATA Adapter for 2.5" Drive Bay - RAID + 1 x Startech  Dual-Bay 2.5” to 3.5” SATA Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure with RAID ? It would be around $1500 CAD before taxes for an 8tb sata SSD instead of several thousand dollars. In theory it should work but I didn't see anyone try that on the web. Even just in JBOD it would already be great. Or would it ? Could transfer rate or IOPS be affected ? 

Thanks !

images.jpg

S322M225R.main.jpg

35SAT225S3R.main.jpg

I was looking to buy a used 20+ old amplifier, and stumbled upon some pictures. Some of them show the amplifer open and most of them have some very sleek designed heatsink.

For example this Nikko Alpha 130, 200Wrms from the 70's.

583696-mint_nikko_alpha_130_power_amplif

Since making a heatsink seems very difficult for Linus and his team, but they seem to have mastered making copper blocks. I would like to see a video of them trying to make the best looking heatsink design they can come up with old non-fonctioning amps. Wether it is for another passive electronic, PC or a RED 4K camera. Also, theses old amps were hand made, much easier to remove parts for electronic enthusiasts.

review somefing made in The Nederlands 

if you do so all sent you a pack of dutch cookies

you can choose literally everything

btw im 14 bin watching for 2 years now still and i love it 

Spoiler

This is what inspired my question. Seems over at Reddit/r/Dell Constant shipping delays and hardware issues and nightmares with warranty

I'd like to know what chat app will LTT be switching to once Hangouts is gone? 

My friends and I exclusively use Hangouts.

We are at odds with what we'll switch to.