Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Try to build a PC for $1000 - which is the price of the glorious Apple Pro Stand - that outperforms the all-new cheese grater MacPro base model. Sounds like a stretch, but if anyone can pull it off, its you guys! ?

who cares...

I'm really enjoying scrapyard wars, and love that they've had two different challenges so far.

I expect the LTT team probably have a few Ideas already in the pipeline, but with the whole community making suggestions I think we could get some really good ideas for future episodes.

I understand there are already a couple of idea threads, but I think it would be beneficial to have a central thread where everyone can suggest ideas, and we can keep an up to date List of suggestions.

So if you have a suggestion, or have already started a thread with a suggestion just reply with the Idea, or link to your thread and I'll add it it to the List. I have already added a few that I've found.

2 minutes ago, harryk said:

Perhaps this topic of fabrication and costs could be a good video topic. Linus can challenge Alex to fabricate his own Mac Pro case clone. Obviously they don't have the tooling to do it so Alex will have to outsource the CNC work to real shops. It would produce some cool video shots and should be fairly educational for those who are not aware of the fabrication processes involved. 

My Suggestion: A video looking at the different types of fluid cooling in big hardware (e.g. supercomputers, mainframes), focusing on old stuff.

Probably showing the video in a similar format to the factory tour videos, I would be very interested to see what solutions engineers come up with when they have a large budget to work with, and different requirements, such as reliability, maintenance without downtime, etc.

For example, the Cray 1 wikipedia link hints at some very interesting design around cooling the 115kW (!!) machine, though doesn't really go into many specifics.

The high-performance ECL circuitry generated considerable heat, and Cray's designers spent as much effort on the design of the refrigeration system as they did on the rest of the mechanical design. [...] New welding techniques had to be used to properly seal the tubing. The only patents issued for the Cray-1 computer concerned the cooling system design

I'd be curious to see if there are any techniques used that are better than today's standards (and potentially even applicable to modern PC cooling), or some concepts that seem just terrible from the perspective of today's technology, knowing what we do now.

I also wonder if there are novel solutions to some problems, considering that older hardware was more focused on uptime rather than load-balancing like it is today. Off the top of my head, possibilities might include;

• redundant liquid-loops
  • loops that can be flushed without powering down
  • hot-swappable hardware
  • Permanently running a below room temperature system
  • Running water loops outside to keep the HVAC system small

The hardest part of this I suspect would be finding working hardware to tour and get a good hands-on look at. But if the LTT team is able to do that, it'd make for a pretty alright episode.

Hi!
i couldnt find the right place to post this but thought this might be an alright place to post...
not really a smart idea but could be cool anyway,
1.thermoelectric powered case fan/cpu/pump?? that will powered by heat from CPU/GPU?

a bit more futuristic/cool and maybe could be developed into an actual thing?
2.a single board (lattepanda?) pc with a like a GTX 1050TI for low power consumption, so it will be able to handle VR AND have a leapmotion connected to it to replace a keyboard/mouse functions so with the main goal of this is going somewhat wireless. imagine professionals who work from home (like me) or who work from a coffee shop or rent a cubical but need an absolute privacy, without any other eyes on their screens, by having a small factor setup like that they could connect to the single board computer that is in their backpack or by their side in a case plugged in to a wall or powerbank(??) with the VR headset so they will be the only ones seeing what is on the screen via "Virtualdesktop" that is already available even on low end VR headsets like oculus GO and with leapmotion as a keyboard and/or mouse, the typing will also be discrete as nobody can see their keyboard and what they are typing.

the future is of course, an all-in-one AR headset that will do all of that completely wireless but until then...

BTW if 2 will even happen. i'd love to be there for it.

Scrapyard wars but in Europe, scrapyard wars but with fans, scrapyard wars except its riley and Alex vs James and Jake. Scrapyard wars but u have to use retail stores clearance items, scrapyard wars sleeper PC edition. Scrapyard wars but only apple computers.

Make an rgb smart room.

More linux stuff!

Tech under $100 videos??? .

How did u guys make the octagon shape wall pieces that are on the wan show wall?

How did you guys make the lights at the roast?

Seeing how you guys post videos on retro sleeper stuff, maybe you could try out a 51nb laptops ? Basically old thinkpads with 8th gen Intel CPUs. You can even build them yourself with Alex if you buy the mobo and screen and a dead x201/s

I am looking to buy one as well but I'm not good with taobao stuff and I can't find any videos on these laptops! ?

Scrapyard wars but u have to bring a laptop to the fight

Hey Linus!

I was wondering if you could take a look at the ZapBox MR kit. Please don't look away when I say this, but it runs on a phone. That being said, from the demos I've seen, it seems to work pretty darn well! Even though the included headset is like google cardboard, it could easily be solved by using an alternate headset. But that's not the main reason I think this is cool. The reason why I think this is exceptionally noteworthy is the price. Now I'll admit, it's a program mainly for developers, not entirely gamer content, but the sheer fact that good MR is available for $30! If you have a little time and table space, please feel free to check out this resource. 

Thanks in advance!

WitherDragon6000

how about a hackintosh video where you build an "actual" hackintosh, rather than just running MacOS in a VM? Not many people have the money to spend on the insane amount of hardware needed to make this practical in VM workspace. I would love a video that goes in-depth to explain how to select hardware or even check if your own hardware might be compatible. I've tried going through the guides on tonymac forums and such, but there don't seem to be any concrete compatibility lists anywhere. I'm sure LMG has enough stock of hardware to put something together without much trouble.

Hi and thanks for the greats stuff you make.

So what about..?

Playing back 1080, 4k, 8k and even 16k streams, what hardware and software do you need?

My rig Asus rampage extreme IV gene, i7 3820, Evga gtx 780 classified, 16GB, ssd with custom overboard cooling and overclock just barely handles one 4k stream with hardware acceleration.

With hardware acceleration turned off there are glitches in sound when scrolling pages at the same time after new updates from Firefox and windows.(only thing that has changed since everything worked fine).

Same thing with edge and chrome.

Network is not an issue 100/100 tested on speedtest.net

I was able to watch 3-4 1080 streams and surf the net before without any problems so what has changed?

Or could you just make a tutorial on the subject?

I personally would like to see a revisit to the Project Larrabee GPU that linus got his hands on, perhaps find someone to get him a driver for it and test drive it. 

I would like to see a episode where they find out how old i5/i7 plattform etc  you can have with latest graphics cards before it starts to bottleneck in the newest games!

is there a way to reach out to Linus about things like these ? 

Checked the HP Spectre X360 video. Maybe it's time to make a video about Thinkpad? Especially X1 Yoga and P1.

Personally, I think X1 Carbon and Yoga are way better than Blade Stealth or Spectre X360 as a daily driver.

HP's Elitebook x360 is also a good choice.

So I was wondering what if you took a ridiculous 360mm fan like this: https://www.amazon.com/360mm-Silent-Jumbo-Fan/dp/B002BTQUJ8

And mounted it to two 360mm radiators side by side to form a square, could you cool an entire high end overclocked PC with a single giant fan? Would it be incredibly cool? Would it be amazingly quiet? Would it change everything about case design? Would it even work?

I was thinking either take two AIO 360mm radiators, one for the GPU (hackily mounted) and one for the CPU, or do a custom loop with two 360 radiators to test properly. Either way, mount it to the side panel of a normal case to test or just open air to do quick testing. Bonus points for testing two in push/pull configuration just to be thorough.

SingleFanDual360rad.jpg

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

something like this:

Yes! I guess that proves it might work! This would be using actual PC compatible parts though and could be contained in a single case! That setup was obviously extreme, whereas this might actually run cool and quiet enough, while still being small enough to fit in a case to actually be a legit option for users wanting to push their case mods to the limit, but still using a single power cord, the case closes, etc.

1 minute ago, StabYourFace said:

I guess that proves it might work! This would be using actual PC compatible parts though and could be contained in a single case!

no case will change design becoz of that. 

you just need to be creative when mounting something that big, eg mount as exhaust fan for the whole room (like the one in toilet)

10 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

no case will change design becoz of that. 

That was a joke. But it would change MY case design! ?

The Corsair One uses a single 140mm fan pulling through two 240mm radiators.

A single large fan wouldn't be ideal for a number of reasons; multiple incoherent noise sources scale very slowly (ten fans is only twice as loud as one fan), and larger fans are better for airflow than static pressure.

7 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

The Corsair One uses a single 140mm fan pulling through two 240mm radiators.

A single large fan wouldn't be ideal for a number of reasons; multiple incoherent noise sources scale very slowly (ten fans is only twice as loud as one fan), and larger fans are better for airflow than static pressure.

Well Jay's video showed their load temps were better than most people's idle temps, so the numbers seem to indicate it would at least be worth investigating. I'd like to see a real world test! It could be a stupid, terrible idea... But that's what this channel is for! 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, StabYourFace said:

Should I link or repost there?

Just report your post and ask a mod to merge it into the thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card