Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I would like to see a video about the software you use to benchmark/stress test/monitor and comparisons with other software that might have been considered.

been debating about buying Aida64 for home use.

I was just watching the stream you've just done and Linus mentioned you'd be coming over to the UK to film a video at Meridian Audio, with this in mind I suggest you also visit The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park on this trip and make a video about it. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

My video idea is to cook a peice if toast using just computer components and not a toaster. 

I would love to see this as crazy as an idea as it is.

keep up the great videos!

nanastinky

aka

Kadyn

Graphene then could reduce a open loop temperature by 30% or even more:

Check out https://www.flexegraph.com for more details.

This is from my F1 & Motorsport side. Im sure @AlexTheGreatish would love to try this one out in a open loop.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

Go over everyone's (who is willing to do so) home computer setup. I'm curious about what everyone's home rigs are. Even if they just brought in their PCs, I'd love to see them. Maybe reward whoever has the worst PC with a new GPU or some slightly better setup with spare parts you have laying around or something?

Have @AlexTheGreatish build something with a ridiculously oversized aircooler again. Maybe see if you can cool stuff without heatsinks but an air compressor blasting the heatspreader directly or even the bare chip (cpu/gpu doesn't matter)

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Could you guys make a video about how to make an WiFi/Bluetooth jammer with an arduino ?

I know this would be a VERY long video (years of waiting) but if you could do a fan review by letting them run constantly for years, and use many fans you can buy separately without buying cases or case coolers and see which ones act out (vibrating, rattling, or stopping altogether) after how long. I know there could be a bit of issue because some fans could be outdated by the time the video is ready to be uploaded.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips video suggestions!

I thought it would be a really cool series on internet radio/streaming music and creation type shows. one of the shows would be helping Rusty at SOMA FM with his rack of servers looking for long-term reliability.. I spoke to him on 3/20/2019, sorry about not messaging you sooner.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Stanley Moras

I have an idea for a video where you could make a top of the line gaming/productivity PC and turn it into a native Hackintosh.

You could take the top of the line overclocked 18 core 7980xe CPU paired with a 1080ti or Titan XP (2017 version) or something on MacOS High Sierra (Mojave doesn't have web drivers yet).

Also if you do consider this idea I think it would be a great idea to do benchmarks at the end with productivity applications and games for fun :D

KGP has made an incredibly detailed guide on how to do this and I suggest you check it out!: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

If that is a little much you could always just start with a vanilla guide https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/ and go from there.

Most of the time if you configure a Hackintosh correctly it will perform better than windows in special CPU tasks :D

I hope my idea has inspired anyone reading this!

@GabenJr

Just coming in to applaud the changes to LTT Youtube video titles going forward. I have now watched videos that I probably never would have under the previous system. For instance, I probably never would have watched the recent Aero 15 review, except for catching the back half of what's now the title. Before, all I would have seen is a clickbait title and picture of a laptop, and passed it by. However, I'm specifically interested in Gigabyte's Aero series, and I didn't notice until after watching the review that the video thumbnail had "Aero" on the screen of the laptop. I watched Linus' explanation of titles, and I see where's he's coming from, but stuff like that is too subtle (especially depending on your device and the size of the thumbnail image to see "Aero"), or in other cases there were too many degrees of separation. After watching the explanation in the GoXLR video, I feel good about LMG as a company.

Can we get a Video about a full review of Nvidia RTX 2080 ti, which Variant from various partners is best in terms of both performance and cooling, do we really need liquid cooling in RTX 2080 ti? some cards in the market which comes with AIO liquid coolers attached to the GPU and also with water block attached, are they better at cooling the GPU and increase the performance?, And also Review for Colorful's RTX 2080 ti Kudan (most expensive 2080 ti in the market I think) and how it compares with the MSI RTX 2080 ti Gaming X Trio ( allegedly the fastest 2080 ti in the market right now), Also what kind of PSU we need with these coupled with Intel i9 9900K for which also enables for overclocking of both CPU and GPU do we need liquid cooling of this kind of cards... Can we get a video with all of this

run full windows 10 on an android smartphone, this app claims it can allow you to dual boot win 10 and android

is used to install windows on android. It makes operating system compatible with Android device which means you can use both windows and android simultaneously on your device (mobile phone).

their software have been featured on this android authority article

6 minutes ago, frickpleses said:

run full windows 10 on an android smartphone, this app claims it can allow you to dual boot win 10 and android

their software have been featured on this android authority article

Installing regular desktop Windows on a phone will mean you will loose ALL phone functionality, also there are no drivers available. It just simply won't work and never will work. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

maybe you don't have a real PC or a laptop just an old smartphone setting in a drawer but you want to use some Microsoft office application this way you won't need to buy any new hardware 

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

you will loose ALL phone functionality

they claim you can dual-boot if that's true you won't have to loose any phone functionality

1 minute ago, frickpleses said:

they claim you can dual-boot if that's true you won't have to loose any phone functionality

Claims are very different from reality and the reality is that it simply won't work. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, frickpleses said:

it is possible to dual boot multiple ROMs on android

and if you don't have a windows machine this can be a huge money saver as long as you have realistic expectations

Regular desktop Windows is not written for phones, it won't work. 

زندگی از چراغ

23 hours ago, ! Aidan said:

I have an idea for a video where you could make a top of the line gaming/productivity PC and turn it into a native Hackintosh.

You could take the top of the line overclocked 18 core 7980xe CPU paired with a 1080ti or Titan XP (2017 version) or something on MacOS High Sierra (Mojave doesn't have web drivers yet).

Also if you do consider this idea I think it would be a great idea to do benchmarks at the end with productivity applications and games for fun :D

KGP has made an incredibly detailed guide on how to do this and I suggest you check it out!: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

If that is a little much you could always just start with a vanilla guide https://hackintosh.gitbook.io/-r-hackintosh-vanilla-desktop-guide/ and go from there.

Most of the time if you configure a Hackintosh correctly it will perform better than windows in special CPU tasks :D

I hope my idea has inspired anyone reading this!

@GabenJr

forgot to mention that RTX cards dont work on macos

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Make a giant PC that covers your entire desk and has a in-built monitor

Topic suggestion: Spinning hard drives reliability in noisy environments.

My story:

I've setup an Unraid NAS / VM machine, using some old parts I've laying around: Core 2 Quad + Asus P5B Deluxe (7 sata + 1 e-sata), 8 gb ram, etc. The hard drives itself was a bunch of 1 and 2 Tb each, working fine for years. In fact, is the same machine I use for a windows 7, in a pure SMB NAS role, for many years, working just fine. The NAS stores mainly family photos and media.

To test the unraid behavior, I move the rig to my home office from the TV area. In a few weeks of operation, the array start to randomly ejects some of the hard disks. At first, it was a pain to stop the array, reboot the host and keep going, but then, a few days later, another drive came off the array. Rinse and repeat. I was not afraid of the data at this time. It seems that the most frequent drives that stops working was the older ones.

A few month later, in this randomly drive disconnection pattern, one drive finally fails. I've replace it with a proper WD RED drive and rebuild the array. The failed drive was not not longer recognized by any OS, not via USB adapter o direct SATA connector. It's was dead. Ok, Sh##t happens, and carry on. The drive was about 4 years old.

The random hard drives disconnection continues, at this point I have another offline (and disconnected) backup of the photos. Finally, I decided to ditch the Unraid solution, who I've licensed, and came back to windows 10 PRO to do the job. Then, I configured the storage spaces, in order to keep the disk parity. I also suspected about the power supply, and put a new Thermaltake 500 ish wats. Also, order an LSI HBA in IT mode, but due to customs, it came about 8 months later. (China to Chile....)

With this new peace of mind, using windows 10, I was set to forget all this nightmare, but I was wrong. A few days later, he storage Spaces GUI tell me about another drive failure. Ok, got another WD RED in the array. For me, this was mostly unheard, I'm a computer engineer with more than 20 years... The failed drive was again, not recognized by any OS. This was a real plage!

Suddenly, I've got a hint of the cause of the problem: I've always witness the failure of the drives while I was in the office, not away (Half day on my home, half day away). And I always work with my 5.1 sound setup at a high volume! (music genre: mostly dance and electronic, dub-step, trip-hop and so on) Researching Online, I've found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDacjrSCeq4

[Double-facepalm] Due to space limitation in my home office, the sub-woofer was right next to the NAS!!!! I've immediately reduce the bass gain and never has a disk issue again! I've reinstalled Unraid and works flawlessly since! Later, I put the HBA card, put a proper SSD cache, add more disks and migrate the ancient P5B to a "more recent" Asus Maximus VI Extreme. Now, all the rig is working just fine (just waiting to bid an i7-4770 for do some IOMMU vms)

I Think this might be a fun Unraid / nas / spinning disk / insane volume music project.

Thanks and love your contents! Bye from Chile!

14 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Installing regular desktop Windows on a phone will mean you will loose ALL phone functionality, also there are no drivers available. It just simply won't work and never will work. 

Wrong

https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-10-arm-oneplus-6t/

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

36 minutes ago, jomscl said:

And I always work with my 5.1 sound setup at a high volume!

Maybe get some headphones? Lmao seems like an obvious solution to the problem. Or, get rubber vibration dampers for the drives. Either way it's entirely your fault for not knowing how to properly isolate drives. I have a $400 set of speakers on my desk and I've accidentally blown out my windows with bass and my drives are fine.

7 hours ago, ZH7690 said:

Make a giant PC that covers your entire desk and has a in-built monitor

that was already done