Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
8 hours ago, BleachedFur said:

Maybe get some headphones? Lmao seems like an obvious solution to the problem. Or, get rubber vibration dampers for the drives. Either way it's entirely your fault for not knowing how to properly isolate drives. I have a $400 set of speakers on my desk and I've accidentally blown out my windows with bass and my drives are fine.

I'm using a Fractal design R5 case. It has 9 3.5" drives capacity, each with a removable caddy, and vibration rubber isolation. (great case by the way) My drives fails in this high end case, with proper installation.

In your setup, have you tried to continuously crank up the volume, for many days and month? In my experience, my drives fails (or aged) over an extender period of time, not for just 1 powerful sound blast. The disk itself tries to park the heads if the disk is subjected to abnormal vibration. What about doing so when the array is checking parity or even rebuilding the parity?? It can be a nightmare for the disk.

As for the headphone suggestion, I'm a family guy, and my personal / hobby amount to spend is rather limited. And I think a $100 5.1 setup sounds wider and richer than a $100 headphone.

12 minutes ago, jomscl said:

My drives fails in this high end case, with proper installation.

Buy less crappy drives.

12 minutes ago, jomscl said:

In your setup, have you tried to continuously crank up the volume, for many days and month?

I've had these speakers for years and listen to dubstep and metal all day.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

1 hour ago, BleachedFur said:

Buy less crappy drives.

You might have a point here. All of the original drives where reused from customers and clients, but with light work environment, like office / mail, etc. All the drives had 3-4 years old when I got from them, and then I use it for another full year before relocating the rig, to my "noisy" office. The thing is, after the NAS was working in my office, of the original 4 drives, two fails, but all of them keeps randomly disconnecting (digitally) from the SO. To replace the busted drives, I use proper NAS drives (WD red). Then, when I realize the sound vibration problem and lower the subwoofer gain, none of it disconnects ever again. The two surviving drives, are working just fine now. Coincidence? maybe, but maybe not.

I've had these speakers for years and listen to dubstep and metal all day.

Nice! can you describe your rig, workflow, for what do you build-it? How many hours per day is working like that?

9 hours ago, jomscl said:

Nice! can you describe your rig,

No, but you can check my post history

workflow,

what does that even mean? I sit in a chair and do 3D modelling.

How many hours per day is working like that?

8 to 14.

You might have a point here. All of the original drives where reused from customers and clients, 

I'm using an enterprise grade Seagate Barracuda 7200 4TB.

I use proper NAS drives (WD red)

Don't. Western Digital is trash, they always have been.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

15 hours ago, dDave64 said:

Scrapyard Wars 90s. Have to build a computer to run Windows 98SE natively using standard scrapyard wars methods. 

I'd LOVE to see this, but perhaps with the caveat that online orders be allowed or the buy/build deadlines be extended. They already struggle to source used current-ish gen hardware locally. Finding something like a 9700 Pro or GeForce 4 Ti 4400 on craigslist / offerup / letgo would be incredibly unlikely (and that's early 2000s tech). 

But yeah, I started building PCs in the 90s, so I would absolutely love to see a 90s themed scrapyard wars. 

31 minutes ago, spartanvi said:

I'd LOVE to see this, but perhaps with the caveat that online orders be allowed or the buy/build deadlines be extended. They already struggle to source used current-ish gen hardware locally. Finding something like a 9700 Pro or GeForce 4 Ti 4400 on craigslist / offerup / letgo would be incredibly unlikely. 

But yeah, I started building PCs in the 90s, so I would absolutely love to see a 90s themed scrapyard wars. 

It would be interesting to see them have to deal with stuff like drive jumpers, very aged hard disks, possibly having to load boot drivers via floppy (if running OS before 98SE like 98 First Edition).

Maybe say that they could source a maximum of 2 main components online to keep the local aspect of the game running and that no hardware they bought could be manufactured after the year 2000.

would need to have a way to benchmark a few games on an older OS as well.

I think it would be a smash hit. They could do it with minimal budget and it would be very interesting to see what they could get for free and what components (if any) have gone retro and cost a lot.

I started building in 2005 but I’ve been using computers since the 90s so I’d find it very interesting.

Idea for tech quickie why did the zune fail/ was it ahead of it's time (had an ammoled screen)

Idea for ltt, a buyers guide for competitive esports gaming using all major esport titles overwatch, rocket league, csgo, Apex legends, fortnite, realm royal, league of legends, rainbow 6 etc for 144hz/240hz gaming using 1080 all low settings and 1080p max. Streaming enabled 144/240fps for a baseline 720p 60 32 samples . To help find the machine most gamers want. So ideally it shows you the minimum if you just want to reach 144/240 if you want to he a streamer or not.

I would love to see LTT (Anthony) set up a cloud gaming rig and give his impressions. 

They could even do a couple of head to heads if they wanted to:

1. Hosting Vendor
    1. AWS vs Google vs Microsoft
  2. Hosted Server Build Type
    1. g3.4xlarge vs g2.2xlarge
    2. g3.4xlarge vs g3.16xlarge
  3. Streaming Software
    1. Parsec vs Steam vs Nvidia

I know Stadia is coming soon but it's always cool to see other uses. 

Can you guys do a rewiew of the system76 (yes it is a linux machine) Oryx pro. It is really competetive with for example the asus' new laptop w/2080 and that stuff. I think it would be good because you did the linux gaming video so it would be nice to follow it up with a video on linux gaming machine. Also most of people think that the thing driving them away from linux is the compatability issues/driver installation hassle of linux what it sometimes can be (coming from a longtime linux user). That way you would have really an out of the box experince. Also you can see how much of a performance drop you get for going with linux.

It would be awesome to see!

Since you have the acrylic cutter, do your own custom mineral oil cooled PC. 

Something I was just thinking about today but I'll be honest haven't researched the plausibility of success is when watercooling does running radiators in parallel result in better performance?

Think about it. If the flow is split between 2+ radiators the fluid will flow more slowly giving it more time to cool. Now it's known component order doesn't matter because of how fast the water moves. The whole loop reaches an equilibrium but if we can slow it down over 2 radiators, 3, 4, or even more provided the pump can handle it will it cause a noticeable difference over them being tubed up in series?

Just an idea.

Don't know if you're interested......

But I just got a Corsair Void Pro RGB wireless headset half price from Amazon today....but I'm wondering if I should send them back!?!

I was reading the safety advice about the battery(YES, I RTFM), and the first precaution says '1. Do not drop, hit, TAUNT, SHOUT AT, or bend the battery'!??!

WTH....

Would you and your team like to do a test vid on youtube please?  I really like them, and at a great price too.

I'm sure you'll all enjoy shouting abuse to test them out.... ^___-

Hey there guys,

I've been going down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what the best thunderbolt 3 4 lane PCIE ultrabook is for an EGPU. I really wanted something that could be upgraded, or repaired easily. I came across the Dell 7490 and 5490 which seem to be the perfect upgradable and less flimsy ultrabook. So yea, they seem to be very much "please open me up" laptops with captive screws and upgradeable ram, ssd, and more. Would like to see how these business class laptops would compare to a razer blade stealth or something as they seem pretty great on paper.

https://www.dell.com/en-au/work/shop/business-laptops-ultrabooks-and-tablets/latitude-5490/spd/latitude-14-5490-laptop

Cheers

Hi,

With your guys running out of space on your petabyte storage, maybe you could look at tape archive - I know you guys did a video and thought the price was a bit for backing up before so you were doing google cloud backup - but maybe it's time to look it at again.

You could look at Linear Tape File systems and if you had a device like a "Strongbox NAS" which has disk caching, you could make the tape archive appear like an ordinary NAS to your hosts. That way you could still make your old data still appear online - even though it's on tape.

You might be able to pick up an older multi-slot  tape library system with a robot like DELL ML6000 series and replace out older LTO drives with LTO7 or LTO8.

I'm not entirely sure where to submit an idea to LTT but one comment that's made quite a lot is the "you cant go cooler than ambient." However there is a something called a peltier element cooler that from my limited understanding, through some witchcraft, they get cooler/hotter (depending on the polarity) which are usually attached to a heatsink of some form.

With a cool box, they draw air through the fins on the heatsink that are being cooled by the peltier element and thus, cools the coolbox down by 5 to 9 celsius below ambient.

What i would be interested in seeing is if there is a way for LTT to incorporate some form of these peltier elements where cold air passes the heatsink they attach to which cools where the heatsink or radiator would be drawing air from this cooler air and thus, getting lower than ambient. I would suspect this may be possible in a large case with a bottom chamber. I'm not sure but would be interesting to see if it would be possible to achieve lower than ambient result.

CPUs and GPUs are just too hot for them... they start out inefficient already, cooling something as thermally dense as a CPU or GPU will put the end to them

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

That should be consider as thermoelectric cooling, no simply just air cooling.

Plus I don't think it's efficient or powerful enough to be used as a cooling element for PC part.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

I'm very frustrated that tech reviewers are ignoring device radiation when reviewing smartphones. As a consumer I would be very interested in knowing that a OnePlus 6T emits 7 times more radiation than a Note8, yet we never get that information. I have no evidence to suggest that the radiation level of the Note8 is too high, but in my case, I care so little about features, that I'd just go with the device that emits 7x less radiation to be on the safe side, specially for something that I'm going to be carrying on my pocket, no question about it. I know there's probably a lot of people that feel like me. Specially if we are talking of parents thinking of buying children their first device.

The example that I gave comes from this database by the German Federal Office for radiation protection, they have a public database here:

http://www.bfs.de/SiteGlobals/Forms/Suche/BfS/EN/SARsuche_Formular.html?gtp=6048912_list%3D3

So for a video you could just go through that data, or even better it would be to find out how they are measuring this stuff, procure such equipment and do some tests.

In an ideal world you would keep subjecting each device you review in the future to such a test and you would state their radiation levels and how they compare to the competition. This would encourage manufacturers to shield from radiation better. As it is right now, since every single tech reviewer seems oblivious about this or indifferent to it, so manufactures have no incentive to keep radiation levels low. If it became a thing, some smaller manufactures would try to excel in this area as a way to compete, that would be good for everybody. My 0.02!

I'd love to see a vid on what LTT can do with a Raspberry Pi 3B+. Seriously, all of the ideas they see as valid uses for the little beast.

Another idea that might be worth doing: Common Mistakes Inexperienced System Builders Make and How To Avoid Them.

This could afford updates from time to time as things change. A list of Best Practices for assembly. It's a good way to show off the kits from your iFixit sponsor, too ;)

After all, you friendly folks have tripped over many a mistake that we can all learn from by example.

Maybe even a compilation of "Our Greatest Mistakes" over the course of LTT History. Might be quite entertaining, to boot!

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a tablet using the ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX motherboard. I would love to see a video on that. Thanks guys.

Egpu dock for Android phone for higher graphics gaming

1. Samsung Dex for desktop productivity
  2. Nitendo Switch has the TV docking feature to produce higher resolution content

EGPUs use Thunderbolt but it's proprietary. However, SD845(SD855) dev boards has mini-PCIE interface (Like you did in a previous video of connecting PCIE to the graphics card).

Do a FPS comparison among dev boards and a laptop mini-PCIE connected to this EGPU dock. Install Linux on the dev board instead of Android and try to run PC games like PUBG. We can learn if ARM is capable of handling AAA games and maybe in future we have one compute device which can act as our smartphone, desktop(with dock) and gaming device(with custom eGPU dock).