Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Do a review of the macbook and the macbook air.

I'd love to see you guys try to make something like this smart watch. You have the competence and are able to evaluate how well someone less experienced in both enginering and software could complete the project.

https://github.com/S-March/smarchWatch_PUBLIC

Has LTT considered doing a video on "military networks?"  I'm mostly familiar with US systems, but from what I've seen the Canadian Army operates similarly.  It's an interesting mix of commercial of the shelf equipment, and super-specialized gear like DTECH's suitcase server stack: www.dtechlabs.com/m3-pm-modules/.  There's lots of virtualization to save space and weight.  Individual LANs are connected with long range line of sight antennas(like the 12km WiFi video on steroids) or a satellite link.  

Your viewers might like to see people build, configure, and monitor a small office sized network in an austere environment, just to tear it down and repeat a few hours later.

Generally militaries like to show off so I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find some Public Affairs office to help make a video about this possible around BC or WA, USA.

Maybe a compilation of all the dad jokes Linus did? I don't remember the episode in which the sponsor was an underwear and linus drops his pants a bit to show. Need it for memes. Thanks

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations + NVDIMM ( Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory Model?)

Linus, please review the new HP Envy x360 with a Precision Touchpad. Here's the link: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-13z-5nx63av-1

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Known for their crypto ASICs but built a GPU... I know it’s not meant for gaming but it would be fun to watch Linus try to make it game.  

https://www.innosilicon.com/html/ip-solution/14.html

On 3/20/2019 at 10:20 PM, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

PiHole whole home ad-blocking

this. im getting increasingly sick of all the injected adds on my mobile apps.

Maybe do a video on PCIe as a switching Fabric and possible a comparison of other Fabrics like Infiniband and Fibre Channel - like speed, cost, advantage/disadvantages.

A3Cube had a PCIe Cluster via it's PCIe based RONNIEE Express technology. PLX/Avago/Broadcom have a PCIe switches, as well as Microsemi's Switchtec PAX Gen 3 Pcie Fabric Switch. The demos from Microsemi look pretty good - being able to share Pcie devices between machines and swapping devices between machines on the fly via commands to the PCie fabric switch.

What about building an electric guitar? I watch a lot of videos on the topic, and I think it would fit with the LTT style perfectly. Also, you'd probably catch the attention of quite a few people in the guitar community. Maybe even collab with a guitar channel like Burls Art, Darrell Braun Guitar, Jared Dines, samuraiguitarist, Music is Win, etc. if you want. Thanks for reading my suggestion. Love the videos!

I think this is self explanatory but Yea you guys did just release the 802.11AX upgrade video with Cisco and phones.

now for laptops which can be disassembled and can upgrade the WLAN card.

intel JUST released the 802.11AX WiFi cards for laptops (mpcie) I also have gigabit internet and want to know the soecificafions like is it worth doing the upgrade in my thinkpad or neh

right now? not worth for even $10. no devices support is widely. 

in 1-2 years when its more mainstream? but it even for $80 because this is a massive upgrade.

I am not sure if you have actually had a dedicated video for overclocking but I would love to see a tutural on basic overclocking

Ok hear me out....

I have spent countless hours now on LTT videos, trying to learn and also laughing my ass off. Here is where I am...

Years ago I had a Toshiba laptop that ran CS Source just fine and that is all I did, played Source, big ol' clan and all (made Admin, thank you thank you)! But then I eventually fell back into console gaming and remained there until about 4 months ago when I decided screw it, I'm going to learn how to build a PC and be able to play all the cool games! So now, I would say I have put together a pretty decent rig, down the the SLI linked RTX 2080s.

Here is where my idea comes into play, I will put this in the quickie thread as well, I have NO idea how to optimize my set up! I'm constantly afraid of screwing something up and crying over a pile of my smoldering money. WHAT IF... there was a video for us "still learning and scared" types where we are shown a system and the steps to take to make sure it is performing the best that it can without exploding. You can even remote into my PC and use segments of that footage for examples. I wish there was a simpler (and yes, LTT) video out there to help guide people through some steps of this type.

There are all KINDS of videos and articles out there. However, after watching what YOU guys have done to some machines and you're fairly more knowledgeable than myself... yeah...

Hopefully this makes sense!

So when I search through this forum, I am completely surprised to see nothing about the Google Drive File Stream software. I've deployed it as a nearly complete file server replacement for the company I work for. I mean it basically just does what the name implies, it lets you stream your files directly to your device as a network attached drive. I've tried varies things to test the speed, including moving games from my steam library to the drive. Combine that with the unlimited file storage offered with Gsuite Business, for 5 or more accounts at least, and your new 10 Gb internet connection I think you could have fun. Maybe use Glasswire as a sponsor to monitor the network traffic it's using?

Hi! I am an LTT audience from China, and I have a great idea, maybe LTT can use this idea to do dozens of videos!

Please be sure to read my advice because it represents a lot of Chinese audience.

In China, there is a community called "Tualatin"(图拉丁) on Baidu TieBa (a Reddit-like website in China). Its members are all geeks, and they often do crazy things.

For example, after research, they blocked the some contacts of Intel 771 LGA CPUs and let it run on the 775 motherboard! They also buy LCD panels and combine them with some driver boards to assemble the monitors themselves.

They also buy a lot of old hardware (we call these hardware "foreign garbage" and call these buyers "garbage collectors" XD), and frantically overclock, and finally the performance can even compete with current mainstream computers. They often do some extreme challenges, such as "500 yuan ($70) computer can play GTA5 and PUBG smoothly" or "100 yuan ($15) computer can play League of Legends well". These are all true! When Linus came to Huaqiang Bei in Shenzhen before, many Chinese audiences suggested that he could seek the help of these “garbage collectors” (because they often look for “prey” in the computer market, they are all experts and very good at dealing with sellers).

Therefore, I strongly recommend that you let Chinese-speaking people (such as Dennis) learn more about "Tualatin" and share these interesting methods and knowledge in LTT.

The link of “Tualatin”: http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=图拉丁

I would like to see an episode, maybe more of a call out to the PC peripherals industry about their hardware requiring all the "featured software" *cough*bloatware.
Or exploring some clever work-arounds people might have created in countering this trend.

Every rgb keyboard, mouse, ram, etc all need their own always connected always signed in software running in the background, and practice of course you have to have them all Launch on Startup or you have to manually turn on your mouse, kb, gamepad, case lights etc. It is craziness :( If it was just rgb, I would be less inclined to complain.

My trigger for this post was that I just bought a Razer Tartarus v2 and learned after installing it that I have to be signed in and online with their bloatware for the rgb AND the keybinding to be non-default. I spent a while with tech support last night to confirm it, that's like 90+% of functionality of the hardware requiring Razer Synapse to be running.

To be fair, its not just Razer, my logitech g-213 kb requires software for the rgb to be non rainbow.
My nzxt h500i requires their "Cam" software, "smart case"..dumb offline tho.

A bit of a side rant for RGB, having one place to adjust everything would be great (asus mobo, gigabyte gpu, nzxt case, logitech kb, razer keypad, corsair mouse). The person to crack that nut will make bank.

And for things no to complain about...  LTT !! I am a long time fan of the vids and the forums. Super useful and informative, always entertaining, thanks to the whole team givin'r there eh bud!!

18 hours ago, Cyb3rBlitzX said:

So when I search through this forum, I am completely surprised to see nothing about the Google Drive File Stream software. I've deployed it as a nearly complete file server replacement for the company I work for. I mean it basically just does what the name implies, it lets you stream your files directly to your device as a network attached drive. I've tried varies things to test the speed, including moving games from my steam library to the drive. Combine that with the unlimited file storage offered with Gsuite Business, for 5 or more accounts at least, and your new 10 Gb internet connection I think you could have fun. Maybe use Glasswire as a sponsor to monitor the network traffic it's using?

Correction when I search "Drive File Stream" I do see some posts on it. Only noticed that I needed the quotes because I couldn't find my own post when I searched.

Build the world's worst monitor using RGB LEDs hot glued together and a raspberry pi

A showdown between a graphics card without drivers installed vs integrated CPU graphics. Which gives the best performance?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Do a video where you take old computers and put windows 10 on them

Pimp my car style wholesome modding of some car into mobile gaming battlestation or. With RGB.