Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A video on cheap egpus and how to take full advantage of thunderbolt 3 on laptops will be very helpful to all of us

On the WAN show 5/17, Linus expressed his dissatifsaction with the entire smartwatch market, and that he is making a video about his smartwatch which is useless that he is wearing for a month. I have bought three smart watches and felt much the same way, UNTIL I got to number 3. I tried the apple watch 1, casio pro trek, then..  Garmin Descent.

Linus should, or have someone who does sports try, the garmin descent or fenix 5. They are very similar, except descent is scuba diving depths certified. I purchased the descent since it was a new model in 2018, and while I do not sync it to my phone, I get around 10-14 day battery life wearing it daily, which is constantly recording heartrate (from the watch itself), steps, as well as monitors how often I am standing or sitting. It is excellent in that it pairs very easily with other fitness devices such as ant+ or bluetooth.

its actually amazing, and it looks absolutely killer

2 hours ago, yourbiggestfanStan said:

On the WAN show 5/17, Linus expressed his dissatifsaction with the entire smartwatch market, and that he is making a video about his smartwatch which is useless that he is wearing for a month. I have bought three smart watches and felt much the same way, UNTIL I got to number 3. I tried the apple watch 1, casio pro trek, then..  Garmin Descent.

Linus should, or have someone who does sports try, the garmin descent or fenix 5. They are very similar, except descent is scuba diving depths certified. I purchased the descent since it was a new model in 2018, and while I do not sync it to my phone, I get around 10-14 day battery life wearing it daily, which is constantly recording heartrate (from the watch itself), steps, as well as monitors how often I am standing or sitting. It is excellent in that it pairs very easily with other fitness devices such as ant+ or bluetooth.

its actually amazing, and it looks absolutely killer

holy schnoz... That's a $1000 watch!

Ok say I just Bought a 2080TI and an I9 9900K now except for the fact that I have to have an MB that will support the 9900k and a Power Supply to power everything can I cheap out on everything else? like get the cheapest things on Amazon or Newegg and get a killer setup or is there a point where the performance will drop with the cheaper components?

On 5/16/2019 at 4:05 PM, NunoLava1998 said:

https://www.raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

Well, why not? Build your own POWER9 system.

Maybe AMD could be willing to send over some Vega 20 cards to actually test the PCIe 4?

That could be interesting... though to actually see the effect you'd probably be running some sort of AI training code.

Hmm, a cats-per-second battle between Wendell and Linus? I'd watch that.

After losing about a week's worth of sleep to scrapyard wars (and other late night tech tip videos), I'd like next season to be building a whole computer, that is, including monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers.

That and I've been wondering recently, just how old of tech can you get second hand and still be able to play new games well? Like, basic 30fps low settings but playable? Is it even playable at that point? Can a gtx660 even DO 4k?

hello there . ive come up with a crazy yet possibly interesting idea regarding liquid cooling. ive followed/ viewed all your vids regarding this subject and enjoyed them all especially the whole room system (which if you guys had more time could of turned out excellent). now here is my idea. how about a PC cooling loop where all the extraneous equipment ie. reservoirs,pumps, fans and rads were placed in a separate case/enclosure ala' cooling tower style.  i think it would allow easier control of in case temps as the heat producing elements of the cooling system would be remote mounted and it would allow for either more components in the main case or a smaller main case.  this could also allow for some more crazy case designs from builders. also this may make a great challenge build between LTT employees. 

what do you think?

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

They have kinda run out of good ideas for it i think. They have done the good ones a few bad ones too now

just check the suggestions forums, LLT can't seriously be that far up their own ass.

How about Intel HEDT plus NVIDIA SLI for under $1000 no older than 5 years?

Boom, there you go, perfect idea. Make it happen.

@LinusTech @CPotter

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

How about fresh look at backpacks for mobile tech warriors of 2019?

Been since 2015 since we last saw ones. Nowadays they have plenty of new protection features, charging ports etc :)

New playstation 5 would potentially be great video for modding/hacking purposes: convert it into PC running linux or windows.  Cheap gaming rig.

CPU: 8 core/16 threads at 3.2Ghz with a Zen2 architecture.

• GPU: Navi-based with AMD next-gen features at 12.6 to 14.2 teraflops.
  • Memory: 24GB total with 20GB GDDR6 at 880GB/S and 4GB DDR4 for the operating system.
  • 2 TB SSD.

How about reviewing some rugged smartphones cubot king Kong and such and how they compare o. Toughness and price to phones with rugged cases 

Cover YouTube's overly aggressive copyright issues. I've seen videos like this on so many channels these days

WIRELESS. BATTERY-LESS LEDS. THE FUTURE OF RGB STRIPS?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Now that LMG have an awesome WiFi 6 setup I have an idea for a video that might push the network (I imagine) and show it's potential.

Oculus Quest with RiftCat
A fully wireless solution for PC-level VR would be awesome to see with a baller WiFi setup for perfect clarity/latency!!

https://support.riftcat.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005631080-How-to-install-VRidge-on-Oculus-Quest-preview-

They will likely sponsor the video if you reach out to them. (They would be insane not to IMO and they have sponsored at least 1 small VR channel that I know of).

Also, you could show multiple Oculus Quests running from the same WiFi network (2 would be impressive, both streaming SteamVR content)

Why is this interesting?
This is a fully wireless premium VR headset that uses Oculus Insight (premium inside out tracking) for a full premium 6 degrees of freedom 0-cable VR experience.
But wait there's more...
Using the RiftCat software solution you can stream SteamVR gaming (Full-blown PC GPU VR experience) to the headset with full inside out tracking support including controllers with a minimum recommended spec of WiFi 5 (I believe).
All of this with no sensors, no cables, just pure wireless bby.

Why I want LMG to do the video?
1. Presentation and review quality is well above the others IMO
2. I cannot find anyone trying with WiFi 6 (or even mentioning it)
3. Nobody has even attempted multiple headsets on the one network*

* Something I imagine is only potentially possible with WiFi 6 considering 5 can barely handle the bandwidth.

Possible Sponsors:
RiftCat - For the necessary software solution

Oculus - For the headset(s)

Cisco - To show off your Cisco gear more (and talk about WiFi 6 more?)

Also any component manufacturer as you could show off a beast of a gaming PC running VR with super-sampling to push the GPU (if showing off a high-end GPU).

Please don't make me sell my nudes to Amazon to buy a WiFi 6 setup (with all my $25 gift cards) to test this myself.

idea.png.789fc9a8a046ce81ed50e9adf70f8482.png

Edited by aaronedmistone
More detail, again, again

I'm not sure if WSL2 insider build is available yet, but I think it would be really cool to see a deep dive into WSL1 vs WSL2 with Anthony to see the technical and performance differences between them.

The new and upcoming Windows Terminal app could also have an honorable mention!

Would be great to get a video about the best way to pack your rig when you’re moving/shipping it. @LinusTech in lots of videos talks about the quality of packaging materials, and shipping horror stories and would be nice to have a video of the best way to pack up your rig so it’s safe when your moving to a new place, taking it to a LAN party, etc. 

Hi, it will be great if you do a review of the new monitor Samsung CRG9 series C49HG90.

On paper looks the best 32:9 monitor: 5120x1440, 1000 peak brightness HDR, 120Hz (someone say g-sync compatible)

But i can't find an actual review online, nobody...... I'm just waiting for someone to review and then i will buy it.

I did this on a very very weak notebook (took me 9 hrs). With your hardware you can do far far better. ALSO discuss the implication of this software(DeepFaceLab) and how can it be used as a another source of fake news/media.

7 hours ago, Kemox said:

Hi, it will be great if you do a review of the new monitor Samsung CRG9 series C49HG90.

On paper looks the best 32:9 monitor: 5120x1440, 1000 peak brightness HDR, 120Hz (someone say g-sync compatible)

But i can't find an actual review online, nobody...... I'm just waiting for someone to review and then i will buy it.

Ditto. Really waiting for reviews on this!

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

MITIGATIONS (=off)

mitigations=off (Lignux  and wine) and UNPLUGGED from the internet vs mitigations=auto (lignux and wine) vs MS WOS 10 (mitigations on)

For video RENDERING, with Davinci, KDEnlive and Adobe in wine - if possible - 

Perhaps rendering is far better now in Lignux with mitigations=off in Intel machines than in MS WOS or Mac OS (or not) but is worth a video to explain it.

And explain also what is the average performance lose - I read from 40% to "only" 15% - in Intel CPUs and AMD, next to none. 

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=sandy-fx-zombieload&num=8

Linus made a good point on the WAN show. You should have a TQ on how WeatherScience and tech/data has developed throughout the past 2-3 decades. Or a full LTT video in the style of the IBM Keyboard you guys did last year.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence