Louis Rossmann Starts a GoFundMe to Get "Right To Repair" Legistation Passed Through a Direct Ballot Initiative.

agizmo

Nice nice

Spoiler

Screenshot_20210331-174257.thumb.jpg.9c3a5e604587e51fd8a534a7751acd40.jpg.f6d28862f043358c797f91a747ee8aa9.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

@Beerzerker

The issue is when you just start bitching like a raging hater and makes it look like literally anything Apple does is just poorly and terrible. Which we know just isn't the case. On the other hand we have phones like ASUS ROG 5 that in 2021 snaps in half. In era when even budget 300€ phones don't do that. Any massive outrage over it? Not really. Here and there some say something over it, but you see bunch of idiots defending it coz it's has amazing specs on paper. Like, who gives a damn, phone is worthless because ASUS couldn't be bothered to do basic construction right. Same stuff Apple got endlessly ridiculed for iPads bending in weak spot. I just hate these dumb double standards some seem to apply.

depends on what one hear, he does say good things about apple too.

It's just that his work is based around apple BS and fixing said BS.

14 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I think his bitching over Apple is annoying, but I respect his idea and direction he's going.

If anything, he's probably one of the only few people qualified to bitch about Apple as much as he does. Considering it's his job and all to fix them, he can see all the technical issues and has the frustrations of not being able to do his job because of Apple.

Even if he became an Apple Authorised repair store, he STILL wouldn't be able to do what he does

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I hope he wins.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

9 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Nothing will ever change until unless

fixed your Dr. Suess Quote
image.jpeg.f88a839a3ea08a000481a1d8236790f5.jpeg

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

15 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I think his bitching over Apple is annoying, but I respect his idea and direction he's going.

Yeah, pretty much.

My opinion is that every part should be replaceable without proprietary screws, glue, or tools needed. No soldering should be required for batteries, flash storage and ram. 

I’m sure most companies opted to save a few nickels and dimes by soldering directly to the board everything possible, but doing so makes it impossible to repair.

A lot of tech could be made to last substantially longer by simply socketing the CPU/SoC, and making the battery removable, so that if a part fails, it can be frankensteined together from other broken stuff like we all used to do until 2001.

The airline industry is what is behind a lot of existing hard-to-replace battery innovation. Intel and Apple’s ultra book designs were copied by everyone and now most 15” and smaller laptops universally suck to use as a daily driver. But hey, it won’t bring down a plane.

41 minutes ago, Kisai said:

A lot of tech could be made to last substantially longer by simply socketing the CPU/SoC, and making the battery removable, so that if a part fails, it can be frankensteined together from other broken stuff like we all used to do until 2001.

It's Apple we're talking about - Their new iPhone 15 or whatever might be so thin that it's constructed out of a solid piece of epoxy resin. Waterproof to survive the bottom of the Mariana Trench!

Good luck fixing that without breaking something. 🤣

I know that Louis in quite a few of his recent videos has been sharing experiences from people getting right to repair legislation for agricultural equipment. So many of the tractors nowadays have proprietary software that once it detects a fault,  it goes into a limp mode which basically renders the machine useless until a dealer comes and clears the codes. These dealers can take weeks and farmers incur big losses thanks to crops not planted due to the machinery being out of commission for days and even weeks which when you are planting things, even being down a few days can ruin the entire season. Yes he doesn't know much about them but he is willing to provide a platform for others to express their concerns overall for right to repair.

Technology is both a gift and a curse. do not let the old ways die as you never know when they may be the only way to perform a taks.

5 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

fixed your Dr. Suess Quote

Don't know where you got that from but I'll take it as a compliment.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:33 AM, SlidewaysZ said:

Doubtful right to repair for technology will happen. Tech companies have way way way deeper pockets than car manufactures. Also people working on their own car is already a big thing. Car companies didn't loose that much by having to allow right to repair for your car. I mean just look at the amount of auto shops compared to computer shops. Apple especially and other phone and technology companies have a lot to loose by allowing people to easily repair their electronics.

What a bad attitude to have. The whole point of a direct ballot means that it bypasses nearly all of the lobbying from big tech that would occur. The PEOPLE vote, like how it should be. 

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

If anything, he's probably one of the only few people qualified to bitch about Apple as much as he does. Considering it's his job and all to fix them, he can see all the technical issues and has the frustrations of not being able to do his job because of Apple.

Even if he became an Apple Authorised repair store, he STILL wouldn't be able to do what he does

This. For sure. His frustration can be difficult to stomach, but he is totally justified.  I don't think people always understand.

I work for an Apple Authorized Service Provider and it literally pains me sometimes to do repairs the way our agreement/protocol dictates. For example. If you bust up the back glass on your iPhone, Apple's repair tactic for that is: replace the whole phone. Even though in all likelihood internal components are fine. Recently, in light of their move towards being more "eco friendly" For the iPhone 12 and variants they have introduced the "Rear System" replacement. The Rear System is literally the whole phone, minus the display and camera. This is intended to cut down on e-waste and would stand in for repairs where there is a logic board flaw, Face ID issue or Rear glass damage. So now, if you break the back glass on your phone, you get almost a whole new phone, but keep your display and camera. I guess in theory it's better? But the fact is, they don't design them for repair in any way other than their own and they don't intend to service things in ways where the repair technician might need more complex training. Instead of this rear system, I would have rather been given the tools to just replace the enclosure, glass included. Let me move over the Logic Board and Face ID and whatever else. I have the skills. But not permission. And that's not even nearly as detailed as the work Louis does. I end up feeling some days like they don't even trust their own people or those they have given their blessing to have the skills to properly repair their products.

I love my job and my employer. I don't always love the rules (or the company that makes them).

DONE-ated!

It is not just about Apple, it is about everything in the industry. I think If it will be much cheaper to repair one set of phones than another, it will create the pressure for people to buy the ones that are easier to repair. It might be different things but I have seen many people who bought a certain type of car in Europe because there were more replacements parts available and there were more services who could fix them.

I see the e-waste as the biggest problem. I do not think I would mind buying a new phone every 2 years or so if I knew that the old one would be [fully?] recycled.

1 hour ago, tridy said:

DONE-ated!

It is not just about Apple, it is about everything in the industry. I think If it will be much cheaper to repair one set of phones than another, it will create the pressure for people to buy the ones that are easier to repair. It might be different things but I have seen many people who bought a certain type of car in Europe because there were more replacements parts available and there were more services who could fix them.

I see the e-waste as the biggest problem. I do not think I would mind buying a new phone every 2 years or so if I knew that the old one would be [fully?] recycled.

or better yet reused

This is a really good cause.

I started watching Louis a few months back, after having seen him on LTT for a bit.

While it may seem initially that he's going after Apple, with most of his recommended videos being Apple rants, he's one of the most honest, hardworking and down to earth youtubers I've come to watch.

Like his entire channel has hours of footage teaching people how to do the work that he does and he has some very interesting life philosophy videos too.

I really hope his Right to Repair organization succeeds because it will only do us good, instead of allowing companies to charge us more and only have us "rent" our devices and then throw them away

Ballet initiatives, or not, if corporate America doesn't want this legislation they will see that influence is applied (aka money) to the required people to get it quashed or so neutered down as to be completely ineffective.

Why anyone would think people voting matters is beyond me. And just to be clear, I am NOT saying this because of the recent Presidential election in the US. Profit controls politics, period. That has been true long before the Fall of 2020.

-kp

On 3/31/2021 at 7:40 AM, AndreiArgeanu said:

Just a reminder, this is not a bill specifically dedicated to apple, the right to repair bill is useful for all products, from appliances like fridges and ovens to medical equipment like intubators and all the way to phones, laptops and deskops.

He mostly speaks about apple because that's what he is familiar with, since he owns and runs an apple repair shop. However there are examples he has given from other industries where right to repair is an issue like in the medical industry for example.

Could you imagine the commercials that would talk the people that have no idea to vote against their own interest? 

This is awesome! I am happy that he is doing this. Apple deserves to be fought on this 

TO LINUS PERSON

Dude, that shout out on WANshow, *thumbs up*

Be ready for a few more coming in to say thanks

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

On 3/31/2021 at 5:30 AM, AndreiArgeanu said:

At which point no amount misinformation from paid lobbyists will help.

Not true.

Tech companies can just pump millions of dollars into advertising to mislead the public against this direct ballot measure. Especially because this issue is fairly unknown to the normal person. Heck, tech companies have pumped lots of money into ballot measures before. This year in California, there was a ballot proposition on if Uber and Lyft needed to classify their drivers as “independent contractors” or “employees.” Uber and Lyft wanted to keep classifying them as independent contracts, so they pumped money into that side.

This is probably why Louis wants $6 million. Because to pass a ballot measure, you need a hell of a lot of money and resources to advertise and campaign for it.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

Clearly he should have started an OnlyFans!

Maybe Linus can donate the OnlyFans money to this cause, that would certainly be a worthy one. @LinusTech

14 hours ago, CaffeineMan said:

Could you imagine the commercials that would talk the people that have no idea to vote against their own interest? 

You don't have to imagine.  They clearly imply right to repair will enable stalking and assualt.  Luckily, that wasn't enough to convince the voters.

8 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Tech companies can just pump millions of dollars into advertising to mislead the public against this direct ballot measure. Especially because this issue is fairly unknown to the normal person.

I'm well aware of that. When right to repair for automotives was passed in Massachusetts car companies like General Motors spent dozens of millions on false advertising that claimed that if automotive right to repair passes you'd get raped and your car would get stolen. Yet the legislation still got passed with over 70% voting for the legislation to pass. So occupants of Massachusetts are already familiar with right to repair to an extent therefore advertising will most likely be less effective at changing the publics opinion. 

• 4 weeks later...

Annoying how many people get defensive of Apple. These tech companies aren't your friends, they aren't looking out for your best interests even if they claim to. Every time Apple is brought up as an example, the conversation devolves into one about brand loyalty. 

Centering right to repair around phones and laptops, while appealing, seems to make the argument weaker. People think that by the time something like an iphone needs to be repaired, it would make more sense to just upgrade it. Also tech companies can still make your device obsolete through software, even if it is physically fine, it might not be usable because of software. 

The example of John Deere locking farmers out of their tractor is a way better topic to hinge right to repair on because an $800,000 tractor is something you would expect to last a long time and be repairable anywhere. Appliances are also a good example for why we need right to repair. The expectation is that an appliance will last a long time, and being forced to buy a new one is a harder pill to swallow when the technology isn't advancing at a rate where you would want to buy a new one anyway. 

When making an argument for right to repair use examples of something that A.) Doesn't see technological improvements at a rate where it might make buying a new device easier to justify and B.) Was once something that was repairable in the past (so an appliance)

"You can't fully appreciate new technology until you understand what came before it"

Experience in repairing: VCR, cassette decks, Walkman, film cameras, and Chromebooks

Programming languages: Java, Python, and C

On 4/2/2021 at 7:59 AM, genisboy said:

Let's say they raise the money and get enough votes will it really work? Seems kind of ridiculous that someone can raise 6 million and beat a 2 TRILLION dollar company that lobbies with BILLIONS against this.

It took like 6 million according the lawyers who passed the auto repair law in Massachusetts. And Louis is working with them to do a consumer electronics bill in Massachusetts too. 

And ofc if it got enough votes it would work..... That's kinda the point of getting enough votes.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler