Louis Rossmann Starts a GoFundMe to Get "Right To Repair" Legistation Passed Through a Direct Ballot Initiative.

agizmo
20 minutes ago, pyral said:

The example of John Deere locking farmers out of their tractor is a way better topic to hinge right to repair on because an $800,000 tractor is something you would expect to last a long time and be repairable anywhere. Appliances are also a good example for why we need right to repair. The expectation is that an appliance will last a long time, and being forced to buy a new one is a harder pill to swallow when the technology isn't advancing at a rate where you would want to buy a new one anyway.

should price matter too? how much "one time use" items we have started or already been adapted to, which will go on the notion of what we accept or not.

Short time use shavers, short time use hair clippers, short time use of digitalized appliances like ovens and the like, and some ovens that was found to be soo poorly built people burnt themselves quite badly on them. While it's not fully on the right to repair, but our acceptance for more poorly built items over convience sake and the compaines that tries to profit from it.

How long I can get OEM parts to repair something is more nuanced than just price. If I bought an expensive Walkman 30 years ago, I think that a reasonable person would say that its expected lifespan would be under 30 years. So I am not upset with Sony when I am unable to get the OEM parts to repair it.

Apple fails this when you consider that you can't get replacement parts unless you go the them to get something repaired. I should be able to use a 3rd party. Apple from my personal experience will repair your device even if it is old (I know about the LTT I Mac), but the issue is that no one else can. 

"You can't fully appreciate new technology until you understand what came before it"

Experience in repairing: VCR, cassette decks, Walkman, film cameras, and Chromebooks

Programming languages: Java, Python, and C

Has he said what happens with the money if he doesn't reach the 6 million dollar goal? 

I remember having to tell everyone I know about the misinformation when this was trying to pass in Massachusetts. I am glad that it passed, and was glad how many people I was able to talk into voting for it.

uh if he wants to convince people to vote for the bill to pass 5 millions usd is a pretty low budget

besides most of the us resident don't vote, so it might also be pretty much demographic specific so..

29 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

uh if he wants to convince people to vote for the bill to pass 5 millions usd is a pretty low budget

besides most of the us resident don't vote, so it might also be pretty much demographic specific so..

This is just in Massachusetts. And 6million is what they spent on the auto right to repair Bill in Massachusetts.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 4/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, pyral said:

How long I can get OEM parts to repair something is more nuanced than just price.

Past a certain point, parts become a net loss to produce. So that is when they stop being made. For example, VHS tape players. There are still millions out there, but good luck repairing one.

If I bought an expensive Walkman 30 years ago, I think that a reasonable person would say that its expected lifespan would be under 30 years. So I am not upset with Sony when I am unable to get the OEM parts to repair it.

The thing is, most "tape" based media is still possible to produce, and likewise the parts that go into it, by again, frankenstein'ing things from broken models of the same unit. Most mechanical devices this was able to be done. Solid-state, chip-based devices, not so much. I can distinctly remember this change in the 80's, when large VHS decks and CRT's mostly-empty void space was to prevent the electronics inside from overheating. Repairing a TV was something you actually did, not putting it on the curb. These old TV's had like 20 tuning knobs on the rear to adjust how the CRT operates, not just the knobs on the front for color and hue.

When the next generation of VHS and CRT TV's came out, all these boards were reduced, and the TV's and VHS decks became 1/4 the weight they were before. Also CRT's stopped having wooden frames and started being made of plastic. Now not only was a TV lighter, it was possible to break in several other ways.

Apple fails this when you consider that you can't get replacement parts unless you go the them to get something repaired. I should be able to use a 3rd party. Apple from my personal experience will repair your device even if it is old (I know about the LTT I Mac), but the issue is that no one else can. 

The problem is that various design considerations are making things unrepairable. Not just Apple. "thinner" results in things being soldered or glued down instead of screws. Dust and water-resistance requires sealing the device. Cameras can get scratched and become unusable. Screens can be scratched or cracked and become unusable.

Like, why make it so hard to repair in the first place other than to piss off people. Just make cell phones and laptops have sliding components like you previously would with battery components.

Though in Australia I respect his dedication to this subject. Right to repair, this has a global impact for all of us. Not just an Apple thing. John Deere Hyundai, Asus, HTC, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. They're all against it also I am sure the list will go on.

Donated.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

cant wait for this to crash and burn and louis running away with everyones money.

this has scam written all over it. does he publish where all the money goes? 

there is no transparency. you are just transferring money to his bank account

5 minutes ago, avg123 said:

cant wait for this to crash and burn and louis running away with everyones money.

You forgot the '/s' at the end of your reply ?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just now, wkdpaul said:

You forgot the '/s' at the end of your reply ?

no

15 minutes ago, avg123 said:

He has been on this for a very long time now. Years talking about repair, right to repair and many other subjects around this.

He has testified and spoken publicly about this too (also for years) and now decided to act on his words and take these steps.

either this is a loooooong con or he actually cares (and if you had followed him you would have know that).

11 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Yes because the person who has been advocating for right to repair for years , travelled all over the country to speak at state bill hearings and who's business has been actively fucked because there is no right to repair legislation,  has been nothing but the most elaborate long con just to make a gofundme...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

So you just don't know who he is then. May I suggest you look into it before saying nonsense ?

i do know who and what he is and that is why I dont believe him

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Yes because the person who has been advocating for right to repair for years , travelled all over the country to speak at state bill hearings and who's business has been actively fucked because there is no right to repair legislation,  has been nothing but the most elaborate long con just to make a gofundme...

just because he believes in right to repair doesnt mean he isnt capable of skimming money off the top. those 2 are mutually exclusive. there is no transparency with what he is doing with the money

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

i do know who and what he is and that is why I dont believe him

Oh, this will be fun: what exactly IS he that makes you not believe him?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, avg123 said:

an apple hater. 

ah yes ... because Apple can never be wrong, and so Louis Rossmann is obviously evil and a scammer.

Right ... back onto the topic ;

Glad to see LMG donated $20k ! I gave $20 last weekend, it's not much, but anything that can help giving back rights to device owners !

Edited by wkdpaul
typo !

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 minutes ago, avg123 said:

an apple hater. 

So him being, 'an apple hater' makes him less trustable? 

Keeping in mind that he probably is one of the small minority of people outside of apple who truly understands the way in which their devices are constructed. To me this makes me think that his opinions are more informed and as such more likely to reflect reality than some random person on the street.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

So him being, 'an apple hater' makes him less trustable? 

Keeping in mind that he probably is one of the small minority of people outside of apple who truly understands the way in which their devices are constructed. To me this makes me think that his opinions are more informed and as such more likely to reflect reality than some random person on the street.

really? the guy who makes his livelihood fixing apple products constantly telling you to come to his repair business instead of going to apple? 

huge conflict of interest.

how do you know he is telling the truth?

and now launching a Right to Repair "movement" because he can no longer get access to apple parts 😂

This guy only cares about making money

Just now, avg123 said:

how do you know he is telling the truth?

I have literally watched probably a hundred hours of him repairing apple products. 

He clearly shows you what has gone wrong and how he fixes it. He does this to help teach others how to repair said products. It's fairly hard to fake, plus if he were lying I'm pretty sure apple and/or people who are experts in the field of electrical engineering/board design/whatever would have called him out by now. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 minutes ago, avg123 said:

an apple hater. 

Man hates apple company, therefore that means he's going to defraud people. 

Got it 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

I have literally watched probably a hundred hours of him repairing apple products. 

He clearly shows you what has gone wrong and how he fixes it. He does this to help teach others how to repair said products. It's fairly hard to fake, plus if he were lying I'm pretty sure apple and/or people who are experts in the field of electrical engineering/board design/whatever would have called him out by now. 

he only shows you the ones he wants to show you to further his agenda. 

"Right to Repair" my ass

who is actually repairing their own product? nobody knows how to.

the only people who can repair the products and make money off it is Louis