Louis Rossmann Starts a GoFundMe to Get "Right To Repair" Legistation Passed Through a Direct Ballot Initiative.

agizmo
Just now, avg123 said:

he only shows you the ones he wants to show you to further his agenda. 

"Right to Repair" my ass

the only people who can repair the products and make money off it is Louis

seriously... have you even watched any of his vids. He clearly shows you how to repair them, he also explains the process of how you go about determining the problem and repairing the issue and finally he tells you what parts you need and ways to acquire said parts. He even sells the parts at FAIR prices. I don't see how you could have any issue with this honestly. 

3 minutes ago, avg123 said:

who is actually repairing their own product? nobody knows how to.

I have repaired a fair few of my own devices over the years, replacing capacitors, screens, batteries, backlights, ect. I don't generally own apple devices due simply to cost, I'm not gonna lie I'm cheap. Although I used to have an ipod touch and replaced the screen and battery on that over the time that I owned it. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

seriously... have you even watched any of his vids. He clearly shows you how to repair them, he also explains the process of how you go about determining the problem and repairing the issue and finally he tells you what parts you need and ways to acquire said parts. He even sells the parts at FAIR prices. I don't see how you could have any issue with this honestly. 

I have repaired a fair few of my own devices over the years, replacing capacitors, screens, batteries, backlights, ect. I don't generally own apple devices due simply to cost, I'm not gonna lie I'm cheap. Although I used to have an ipod touch and replaced the screen and battery on that over the time that I owned it. 

I have not watched all his videos but I have watched some.

then you are 0.0001% who can repair their own product. 99.9999999999% cant

Step 1: You give louis money to help fight for right to repair

Step 2: Louis passes bill that will allow him to repair products

Step 3: You give Louis money again to repair your product

Step 4: Louis profits

The only person who profits off of this is Louis.

5 minutes ago, avg123 said:

OR... Once the bill passes and more people are aware that these devices CAN be repaired a new round of repair shops could open; this leads to more people getting these repaired rather than buying a new one as soon as it breaks, much like what happens with cars these days.

Plus he is trying to pass this in Massachusetts. Louis operates in New York and as such it won't have a direct impact on him in the short term. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, avg123 said:

No it's not.

Right to repair is to make sure companies don't prevent repairs that could otherwise be done by yourself, someone you know, or a 3rd party.

Preventing the back camera to be replaced isn't consumer friendly, it's something that should be replaceable, but on some phone it's not even when the part is taken from an identical and working one. That's anti-consumer and only helps Apple selling new phones and filling landfills with electronics that should be repairable.

If you're able to get a 3rd party alternator for your car, you should be able to do the same with your phone screen or camera, and you shouldn't have to jump around software blocks that prevents it.

You not being able to repair your devices shouldn't mean the rest of us are automatically locked out and can't because of anti-consumer behaviour.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

25 minutes ago, avg123 said:

"Right to Repair" my ass

You can really tell you're an Apple user. Because apparently having more options is the worst thing that can happen 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

No it's not.

Right to repair is to make sure companies don't prevent repairs that could otherwise be done by yourself, someone you know, or a 3rd party.

Preventing the back camera to be replaced isn't consumer friendly, it's something that should be replaceable, but on some phone it's not even when the part is taken from an identical and working one. That's anti-consumer and only helps Apple selling new phones and filling landfills with electronics that should be repairable.

If you're able to get a 3rd party alternator for your car, you should be able to do the same with your phone screen or camera, and you shouldn't have to jump around software blocks that prevents it.

You not being able to repair your devices shouldn't mean the rest of us are automatically locked out and can't because of anti-consumer behaviour.

what ever bill louis manages to pass (if he does) will not change the way apple designs products.

this bill is not going to force apple to design a phone whose back camera can be replaced

the bill will only allow access to spare parts, softwares and documentation that apple has to third parties like Louis so he can repair the products

there is nothing stopping apple to just design the phone in such a way that it cannot even be repaired by apple itself. then the bill will not work since there exists no way to repair the product,

and you can bet if push comes to shove, apple and other brands will make their products completely unrepairable. 

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

*snip*

And that's what 'rights-to-repair' bills are trying to prevent ; unrepairable devices.

Genuine question, why are you against it ?

41 minutes ago, avg123 said:

"Right to Repair" my ass

I'm just curious, are you an Apple user?

No one knows how to repair the products because the product is locked down by software, and not even third party technicians can get parts, thats what this legislation is for, so repair services can get parts, and make parts and repair more accessible for the consumer.

13 minutes ago, avg123 said:

what ever bill louis manages to pass (if he does) will not change the way apple designs products.

this bill is not going to force apple to design a phone whose back camera can be replaced

the bill will only allow access to spare parts, softwares and documentation that apple has to third parties like Louis so he can repair the products

there is nothing stopping apple to just design the phone in such a way that it cannot even be repaired by apple itself. then the bill will not work since there exists no way to repair the product,

and you can bet if push comes to shove, apple and other brands will make their products completely unrepairable. 

The bill would would make it so that it would be in a companies best interest to make parts and documentation available, if a device were more easily repairable and lasted longer without having to be replaced if a part breaks, I think the average person would rather buy the product that doesn't end up in a landfill because the back camera or screen broke.

17 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I want to add to this question.

@avg123 Are you against the bill due to a genuinely held belief, or due to your ignorance of what it actually means?

If it's the former, then please name those beliefs so everyone can start over, maybe.

If it's the latter, then your aversion and hostility towards it should not be taken seriously by anyone here until you learn what it really means.

Just an FYI, "Right to Repair" has been, and continues to be, a fight in the automotive industry, the farming industry, etc., this one is related to tech (not just Apple), but it's not the only fight.

50 minutes ago, avg123 said:

"Right to Repair" my ass

I wasn't aware giving the average user the ability (if they desired) to repair their own stuff would magically give a repair business money.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, wkdpaul said:

And that's what 'rights-to-repair' bills are trying to prevent ; unrepairable devices.

i am not against right to repair. I just dont like the way louis is presenting it.

like once the bill passes everyone can repair their own product.

everyone cannot and do not want to repair their own products.

but they will get the choice to either go to apple or a third party repair shops like louis to repair their product. which is a good thing. i agree.

I just dont like Louis's holier-than-thou attitude that apple is the greatest evil that in the world and he is doing humanity a great service by passing this bill.

Louis will gain financially from this bill. that is his primary motivating factor. not helping people. not the great benefit of humanity BS he keeps spouting.

I would have no problem if he made a video that said " Please support right to repair or I will go out of business" because all his actions comes down to that.

1 minute ago, avg123 said:

*snip*

Ok, so Louis Rossmann 'lobbying' and pushing for legislation that benefits him and consumers is bad, but Apple pushing anti-consumer legislation that helps them isn't.

Got it.

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Ok, so Louis Rossmann 'lobbying' and pushing for legislation that benefits him is bad

there fixed it

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Ok, so Louis Rossmann 'lobbying' and pushing for legislation that benefits him and consumers is bad, but Apple pushing anti-consumer legislation that helps them isn't.

Got it.

Basically what I was going to say.

No matter his motivation, we all know that this will benefit people. e-waste is a massive issue and as developing nations become more digital the issue will only get worse. We have finite resources and tech isn't all that easy to recycle. Then, this doesn't even talk about the financial benefit that individuals could see from being able to easily get their devices repaired.  

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, avg123 said:

there fixed it

At this point you're just being disingenuous. What he's pushing will help consumers, wether you like it or not.

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

I just dont like Louis's holier-than-thou attitude that apple is the greatest evil that in the world and he is doing humanity a great service by passing this bill.

Apple, especially recently, presents itself as caring for the environment, but they'd rather change an entire logic board, for example, instead of changing a few bad capacitors/resistors. So yea, having the ability to repair rather than replace would be doing humanity a great service.

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

Louis will gain financially from this bill.

Sure, along with a lot of other repair shops, and the customers who get to save money.

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

that is his primary motivating factor. not helping people. not the great benefit of humanity BS he keeps spouting.

Citation needed.

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

there fixed it

You're ignoring the hundreds to thousands of people that will benefit from this. Either by saving money or by making it.

The only people who will "suffer" from this are billion and trillion dollar companies that actively try to make it harder for people to fix the products that they bought. Companies that charge exorbitant amounts of money to replace entire parts, where 99.9% of the components in them might not have needed to be replaced (the aforementioned replacing a logic board instead of a capacitor/resistor), or encourage you to get a new device.

14 minutes ago, avg123 said:

there fixed it

Look, you might dislike Louis and that's fine. However, you shouldn't ignore the fact that because of his voice and of many others out there in the industry, it started a movement for Right-to-repair. There's even a similar thing happening in Europe (though I don't know how that's going atm). 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Apple, especially recently, presents itself as caring for the environment, but they'd rather change an entire logic board, for example, instead of changing a few bad capacitors/resistors.

just because they are changing the whole logic board does not mean it is going to the landfill.

they are changing your board with a refurbished board and your board gets refurbished and goes into the next guys phone.

louis does not have a supply of refurbished boards and hence he needs to change the resistors and capacitors. he would do the same if he could do it and fix yours board at a later time for somebody else. it would greatly speed up the process.

6 minutes ago, avg123 said:

just because they are changing the whole logic board does not mean it is going to the landfill.

they are changing your board with a refurbished board and your board gets refurbished and goes into the next guys phone.

louis does not have a supply of refurbished boards and hence he needs to change the resistors and capacitors. he would do the same if he could do it and fix yours board at a later time for somebody else. it would greatly speed up the process.

The cost difference between replacing an entire logic board, compared to replacing a small component in it, would dictate that. Not only for the person performing the repair, but also for the person commissioning it.

Louis is such a conman, trying to get all the money from himself and steal customers directly from Toyota.

Toyota only cares about their customer, the obviously protect you by telling that your car is irreparable and you should buy a new one and let them dismantle your broken car in a eco friendly way. What did you expect? Going around town with those worn out  tires turning yourself into a risk not only for your well being but also for those around you. And thank god Toyota makes special tires that can only be diagnosed and handled by them. Could you imagine if people put cheaper tires that are not compatible or approved by Toyota? Would be the equivalent or riding a death trap. Those software locks that prevents the car from running with unauthorised tires are there to prevent conman like Louis to turn you into a ticking time bomb. So be a good boy and let toyota, or any manufacturer on their own branded product, handle in their own secure way.

/s

Anywho, the corporate shills In this forum always crack me up.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

Some farmers would like to have a word with you 😄  

And anyone wanting to service their own vehicle for example, or even a local garage can now service your car since they can get the tools to read out the damn computer without it being locked out. Thats what this is all about in the end. It took legislation to allow that, we had a period were you had to go to a approved dealer to even look at the car.

Heck Tesla even got their own special part in this cuz they tried to go around the whole Motor Vehicle Owners' Right to Repair Act... Like Apple they tried to spin it so only they would be allowed to do any service on it.

24 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Ah yes, that excuse.

Just so you know, it's not true, Apple is sending those boards and devices to be shredded, not refurbed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/10/07/apple-geep-iphone-recycle-shred/

2 hours ago, avg123 said:

and now launching a Right to Repair "movement" because he can no longer get access to apple parts 😂

and the movment that he was working on for nerly 10 years isnt part of the right to repair movment?

the dudes tired of commiting boarderline crimes to get schematics to do his job. And hes tired of getting genune partd being seized by boarder control because theyre "counterfit". Right to repair is something that we used to have, something from bact to wen comercial products were a thing. Youc could legally buy parts. Hbut now, a product a company makes a product, like (i beleive) isl929 charging chip, you can ask the company that makes it "hey can i buy this, you make thousands of them?" Theyre like "sorry but the chip desiger is asking us not to sell them".

any compny, not just apple (which is stressed every single time) its against every compny. 

1 hour ago, avg123 said:

like once the bill passes everyone can repair their own product.

correct. If this bill passes in massachutses (i cnat spell today sorry) then people in massachutses could fix their device.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

yes, louis is allergic to apples.

oh wait? nvm.

Wouldn't fund, since this feels out of reach and in a different area.

But if it was for more a global project, would be into that.