Steam bans "Very Positive" game developer

Spotty

Summary

A small time developer and publisher "Very Positive", creator of a game no-one has probably heard of Emoji Evolution has had their game removed from Steam and been banned after Valve alleges they were attempting to deceive customers. How were they deceiving customers? With their name...

Quotes

Valve recently removed it from the storefront and banned its creator’s developer account after apparently discovering how they were exploiting Steam’s layout to try to trick people into playing the game.

Very Positive sounds inoffensive enough as a name, but in the context of Steam’s store pages, it ended up being easily mistaken for an actual Steam review rating of “Very Positive.” 

Take another look at that image of its Steam page, and you’ll notice that while recent reviews are “mixed,” the game’s developer has replicated the look of a game with “very positive” recent and overall reviews by changing its developer/publisher names to “very positive.” Due to Valve’s font and colour choices, the effect is that it looks the same as a Steam page’s review summary section.

image.thumb.png.ae6de4a484863a2bf40ac6fec8b5e8be.png

(Image: Valve/Kotaku)

The developer has argued the reason for the ban; "review manipulation" as being incorrect as it was not review manipulation, but rather developer name manipulation.

My thoughts

I think it was pretty intentional they were trying to game the system and trick people in to thinking the reviews were positive. Steam reviews do impact customers purchasing decisions and I personally would be more inclined to buy a game that had a positive rating. The way Steam displays the recent reviews & all reviews looks very similar to the developer and publisher and I think that's something they tried to take advantage of.

Was anyone actually deceived in to thinking it was a better game and bought it as a result? Who knows, probably not. Nothing really noteworthy here but I just thought it was a quirky situation and a rather interesting reason for a developer to be banned from Steam. I guess Valve really do take developers attempting to manipulate ratings seriously.

GG, you played yourself.

Sources

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/02/valve-bans-very-positive-developer-for-trying-to-trick-steam-users/amp/

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/02/somethings-fishy-about-this-steam-games-very-positive-reviews/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

TBH a ban might be a bit harsh, a forced name change and some other form of.. actually nevermind.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

IMO it's deserved. They clearly knew what they were trying to do. The saying of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" really rings true here.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I think it was pretty intentional they were trying to game the system and trick people in to thinking the reviews were positive.

Of course it was entirely intentional, the dev is just salty that Valve reacted this quickly. I am one of the people who reported the dev a couple of days ago.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Eh I guess. Valve people are also hypocrites. They banned him for his name, but would have ignored him if his name was "very negative" or anything that's not "positive".

It was developer name manipulation, not reviews

So they admit to try to manipulate how something looks to make it seem better than it is. Manipulation is manipulation.

Regardless if they admit it or not, glad they got banned. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Of course it was entirely intentional, the dev is just salty that Valve reacted this quickly. I am one of the people who reported the dev a couple of days ago.

I didn't even know you could report developers on Steam.

I'm curious how you came across it though? Through browsing Steam normally or were you made aware from a news article or someone else sharing it? I'm really just curious cause I've never heard of the game and unless you're into that genre or are specifically searching for it I'm not really sure how likely it is to come across it. Seems a rather small game/developer.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Sources

I see that your useing weeb sources

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, Rym said:

Eh I guess. Valve people are also hypocrites. They banned him for his name, but would have ignored him if his name was "very negative" or anything that's not "positive".

To be completely fair, "Very Positive" connotates a much different manipulative meaning than "Very Negative" would as a developer name.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

what if I name my publisher "overwhelmingly negative"?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

what if I name my publisher "overwhelmingly negative"?

Well, you'd either get banned or people will think your game sucks. Neither outcome is great if you're hoping to sell games.

To be safe just stick to the classic Publisher McPublishface name.

I think that Valve shouldn't have started with a ban, they should have first asked for a name change. 

They shouldn't assume anything imo, they should first see what the dev says.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

I saw this news when I woke up today and it took me a few reads for it to actually go in.

My initial thought was "Huh, how is that name ban worthy?", then I had 10 minutes to actually wake up (and a coffee) and when I read it again I laughed, probably more than I should have done.

Its clearly manipulation but still pretty humorous.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I saw this news when I woke up today and it took me a few reads for it to actually go in.

My initial thought was "Huh, how is that name ban worthy", then I had 10 minutes to actually wake up (and a coffee) and when I read it again I laughed, probably more than I should have done.

Its clearly manipulation but still pretty humorous.

Yeah, I actually see how this could have been a joke at the studio.....

100% ill advised however.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Aww, you sneaky bastard. It's just too obvious in that photo to be just a coincidence. They damn well knew what they were doing indeed. Forced rename and scraping of all reviews and ratings would make more sense instead of full on ban. But in a way they deserved it, sort of.

if they also did it since they knew the name will be marked blue just like the very positive for reviews?

Else kind of both, or rather that steam takes more action on this unlike other content is making me a bit more annoyed.

To the amount of bloat on steam.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

What if humans used 100% of their brain?

We probably wouldn't be gaming 😛

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

What if humans used 100% of their brain?

or if they see what the game is about anyways. Like buying it just for the reviews?

And it's not like shovelware already get positive reviews from groups and organized manipulation. (not at all wallstreet) *sweats*

To the topic of review bombing etc.

Checking their twitter just confirms that they're dumb dumb.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've seen that with Scarlet Johansson and it has done some weird shit to her.

Her name's Lucy, dammit!

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I didn't even know you could report developers on Steam.

You can report the store-page and then explain why you reported it in the dialog that pops up.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I'm curious how you came across it though?

I saw a screenshot somewhere and I noticed the name. Had to check for myself if it was some bug with Steam or a trick by the developer.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Summary

A small time developer and publisher "Very Positive", creator of a game no-one has probably heard of Emoji Evolution has had their game removed from Steam and been banned after Valve alleges they were attempting to deceive customers. How were they deceiving customers? With their name...

Quotes

image.thumb.png.ae6de4a484863a2bf40ac6fec8b5e8be.png

(Image: Valve/Kotaku)

The developer has argued the reason for the ban; "review manipulation" as being incorrect as it was not review manipulation, but rather developer name manipulation.

My thoughts

I think it was pretty intentional they were trying to game the system and trick people in to thinking the reviews were positive. Steam reviews do impact customers purchasing decisions and I personally would be more inclined to buy a game that had a positive rating. The way Steam displays the recent reviews & all reviews looks very similar to the developer and publisher and I think that's something they tried to take advantage of.

Was anyone actually deceived in to thinking it was a better game and bought it as a result? Who knows, probably not. Nothing really noteworthy here but I just thought it was a quirky situation and a rather interesting reason for a developer to be banned from Steam. I guess Valve really do take developers attempting to manipulate ratings seriously.

GG, you played yourself.

Sources

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/02/valve-bans-very-positive-developer-for-trying-to-trick-steam-users/amp/

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2021/02/somethings-fishy-about-this-steam-games-very-positive-reviews/

Yeah, this is pretty obvious for anyone with 2 working brain cells. I can't say whether they deserved the permanent ban, maybe 6 months of 'time out'