More Chromax Heatsinks from Noctua. But no NF-A12x25 Chromax's yet.

TVwazhere

Summary

Been keeping an eye out for Noctua news, and today they released a "New" NH-D15S and "New" NH-U9S. ("New" because the chromax fans has existed for months, so it's just painted heatsinks packaged with existing black fans) 

Quotes

The new NH-D15S chromax.black and NH-U9S chromax.black are identical to the regular models except for the colour: Featuring black coated heatsinks, black fans with black anti-vibration-pads, black fan clips and black mounting parts, they are literally black from head to toe. Thanks to thoroughgoing optimisations of the coating material and process, the chromax.black models provide the same, renowned quiet cooling performance as their regular, non-coated counterparts.

The NH-D15S is an asymmetrical single fan version of the award-winning NH-D15. Thanks to its asymmetrical design, the NH-D15S clears the top PCIe slot on most µATX and ATX motherboards. At the same time, the single fan setup and recessed lower fins guarantee 100% RAM compatibility with memory modules of up to 65mm height. Users who have sufficient room can also upgrade the cooler with either a 120mm or round 140mm fan on the front fin stack for further improved performance in dual fan mode.

NH-D15S chromax.black: EUR 89.90 / USD 89.90

NH-D15S chromax.black

The NH-U9S is a compact premium cooler in classic 9cm size. Its asymmetrical design with 5 heatpipes provides strong quiet cooling performance and tanks to its 95x95mm footprint, the NH-U9S clears the RAM and PCIe slots on all current mainboards, including µATX and ITX. Combined with its 125mm height, this makes the NH-U9S a highly versatile solution with outstanding case, RAM and PCIe compatibility.

NH-U9S chromax.black: EUR 64.90 / USD 64.90

They also released updated chromax antivibration pads to now include the color....... brown.

My thoughts

With no word yet on what fans *badum tiss* of Noctua have actually been waiting for, Noctua has yet again shown that they can take a long time to just paint existing heatsinks (whether that's because of the current global situation or their touted extreme emphasis on making sure it's perfect before releasing a product is unknown) but this marks now nearly 75% of their heatsink lineup converted to chromax. Personally I think it's a bit ridiculous that it takes this long, but there could be reasons I'm not aware of that would cause it to take so long (prepping new marketing material, filing for patents/name, obtaining new packing materials, building inventory, etc)

I understand Noctua take extreme measures to make sure their products or quality but they make it sound like "thoroughgoing optimizations of the coating material and process" was an arduous undertaking no manufacture has ever done before. Meanwhile their fans are getting a lot of alternative cheap competition from manufactures making similarly performing products in black that cost far less. If Noctua doesn't get on the ball soon, their market for a top-tier performance black fan is going to dry up. 

Sources

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-expands-chromax-black-line-of-cpu-coolers

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

They look to be right on track with these:

noctua_roadmap_V10_2020_frame.png.6330632a8f3ec43f4cfb56969f2fc26f.png

(though no Redux coolers yet)

Let's hope this'll continue with the NH-U12A and NF-A12x25 :D 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

They need to offer something again with their fans. Idk what but there are plenty fans that offer similar performance / noise but at half or even less the price. Take the Arctic P12 series for example. If i'd have to buy 6 or more fans for a watercooling setup now, i'd not even consider spending triple (or more) the money on fans just because they're noctua fans. The only reason i have 6 NF-F12s in my own build is because i have been slowly collecting them across different PC-Builds. I also think it's ridiculous how long it takes them to get the chromax versions out.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Noctua: We make the best stuff.... for ourselves. And eventually for you... we swear in Q4 of next year.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

They need to offer something again with their fans. Idk what but there are plenty fans that offer similar performance / noise but at half or even less the price. Take the Arctic P12 series for example. If i'd have to buy 6 or more fans for a watercooling setup now, i'd not even consider spending triple (or more) the money on fans just because they're noctua fans. The only reason i have 6 NF-F12s in my own build is because i have been slowly collecting them across different PC-Builds. I also think it's ridiculous how long it takes them to get the chromax versions out.

Even their coolers are getting matched by a lot cheaper ones nowadays that are also in the same noiseclass. They can only ride the we are a premium brand thing for so long before they really start losing costumers. That and their refusal to just update their stuff all at once. It's not even that special it's a colourchange. Ya know the stuff many other manufacturers do on a whim.

19 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

They look to be right on track with these:

-snip-

(though no Redux coolers yet)

Let's hope this'll continue with the NH-U12A and NF-A12x25 :D 

Interesting. I had not seen the updated road map yet, though I recall from previous roadmaps Q1 2021 was the planned launch so at least that hasn't been pushed back yet. 

Meanwhile that next gen 140mm fan will also be a big selling point, as they've been working on that for 3-4 years at least publicly. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I'm curious to know how much of Noctua's business is centered on desktop computer fans since I've only really known them for their good CPU coolers and fans. Is consumer DiY their main market or is industrial/commercial cooling considered their primary source of revenue?

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I paid not even 6€ for each of the Arctic P12 PWM fans. I got 6 of them + Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 which was the same price as NH-U12A yet it ouperfroms it by a lot while being more silent... yes, the case compatibility is definitely more difficult to come by with 360mm radiator but for the price, whatever.

The Arctic fans are about the same as the ones on NH-U12A in both performance and noise, maybe the bearings will not last as long but I couldn't care less for the price.

IMG_20200829_143121.thumb.jpg.86527cc9c34ad15277a589cf9da75f5c.jpg

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The Arctic fans are about the same as the ones on NH-U12A in both performance and noise, maybe the bearings will not last as long but I couldn't care less for the price.

The P12 series has 10 years of warranty. So i think they're plenty confident that these fans will last a long time. And even if one breaks. You can buy 4 of them for the price of 1 chromax NF-F12.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

44 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I'm curious to know how much of Noctua's business is centered on desktop computer fans since I've only really known them for their good CPU coolers and fans. Is consumer DiY their main market or is industrial/commercial cooling considered their primary source of revenue?

I'd put my money on the industrial side

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Nice they're blacking out everything. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

For me the biggest mystery is that I bet that these sterrox polymers are not by default tan and poop color, so significant investment must have been put in on making them tan and poop colored. Why didn't they in parallel develop the black variants.....IIRC they are actually white polymers by default so they should also just release the uncolored varient haha

Noctua FTW !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

11 minutes ago, For Science! said:

IIRC they are actually white polymers by default so they should also just release the uncolored varient haha

And Yet white fans aernt slated till Q2 2021 🤔

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

And Yet white fans aernt slated till Q2 2021 🤔

New theory: tan and poop improves performance.

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

New theory: tan and poop improves performance.

"When in doubt, spin s*** faster!"

39 minutes ago, For Science! said:

For me the biggest mystery is that I bet that these sterrox polymers are not by default tan and poop color, so significant investment must have been put in on making them tan and poop colored. Why didn't they in parallel develop the black variants.....IIRC they are actually white polymers by default so they should also just release the uncolored varient haha

Isn't the brown and tan scheme kind of Noctua's brand? I mean their fans are really recognizable when I see those brown fan blades.

I don't mind the brown and tan, then again every fan in my case is Noctua, I care more about performance than RGB lol.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Isn't the brown and tan scheme kind of Noctua's brand? I mean their fans are really recognizable when I see those brown fan blades.

I don't mind the brown and tan, then again every fan in my case is Noctua, I care more about performance than RGB lol.

the shit colors are a marketing thing, before they were well known they had to have a gimmick and shit colors + performance was their gimmick. probably 90% of people agree that the original colorway is pretty wack but its instantly recognizable, and theyre associated with pretty outstanding quality. it'll be interesting to see how relevant they remain in the next few years though, other manufacturers are getting very close in performance for much cheaper. although for air coolers their mounting system is unmatched, i love the insane modularity and upgradability for that

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I'm more interested in that desk fan, must be one of them with USB attached to it. Got a Arctic one, has a slight breeze, but there is no safety guard around it, which is dangerous.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list