As Star Citizen turns eight years old, the single-player campaign still sounds a long way off

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

This game had such potential, but they totally got carried away selling virtual space ships in unfinished game...

That demo they presented of a soldier standing inside a ship that's being attacked was jaw dropping. The visuals and especially how sound upon weapon impact sounded and felt was just out of this world. And since then, not much really happened and my interest got carried away to other things that actually got released. Like upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 that will have insane immersion on level of Deus Ex games and will actually be coming out.

This game will forever be in alpha stage, and will never be released period. They’re using these fake promises, so idiots will continue to back them up, while they live their lavish lifestyle.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

This game will forever be in alpha stage, and will never be released period. They’re using these fake promises, so idiots will continue to back them up, while they live their lavish lifestyle.

Hanlon's razor - "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

23 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Im still waiting on Half Life 3 also. 

I've held my breath and died several times.

I'm not trying to create false hope here, but having looked at Half Life Alyx - Final Hours, it looks like Valve's back in the game and the next Half Life is not going to be a VR game, and additionally the reason to why there was no new Half Life, Portal, or Left 4 Dead or any game for that matter was because Source 2 was never really finished. Final Hours reveals a bunch of stuff of what happenned behind the scenes in the past decade or so when Valve was mostly dormant.

10 hours ago, yaboistar said:

elite has been the major time-sink of my life but after the devs repeatedly snubbed the community and consistently removed anything that was fun

Isn't it great that games get "updates"? Don't you love buying a game, enjoying it, and getting thrilled every time you launch it, not knowing whether the game you love will actually be there after the loading screen?
😛

9 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

It will never, ever live up to the hype that surrounded it the first couple of years of crowdfunding though.

That is the whole point, though. The game was funded by the hype it caused, and all the money raised has already been spent on getting where it is now. The only way forward is to make more announcements, fuel more hype, and thus raise more money just to keep the process going. You can't stop feature creep when feature-creeping is at the core of your business model. If they ever want to try the after-launch No Man's Sky strategy ("shut up and finish the game"), how are they going to pay for it?

That's where the Ponzi analogy comes from: Ponzi wasn't taking the money and running; he was religiously paying all investors back, including the extraordinary returns he promised. The only problem was he needed an ever-growing number of investors to keep the scheme running, and he knew sooner or later it would become time to default. But as long as he could continue to escape forward, there was no reason to stop, and no unsatisfied investors.

It's like you bought an apartment under construction, and they are actually building the block, but in order to finish it they need more money, so they add some flats on top to the plans and sell those. Now they have the money to continue, but also have more apartments to deliver...

13 hours ago, yaboistar said:

oh you sweet summer child

elite has been the major time-sink of my life but after the devs repeatedly snubbed the community and consistently removed anything that was fun, or that you could do to earn a significant profit, then made their massively overdue fleet carriers a shambles that requires you to be chained to the game to pay for and use (just after gutting the mining system so you couldn't earn the requisite funds in a reasonable amount of time)... no.

have fun with it, but don't for a single minute think the devs care about the game any more than how much ARX they can get you to buy.

🤔 I just started playing Elite Dangerous a little over a month ago. While the game is half decent, its no more than a 6.5/10 if I am to be brutally honest about the game as it currently is. Not a whole lot of thought went into its overall design and the stupid transfer timers makes the grind even more insufferable than it already is. Getting a Fleet Carrier is the only thing keeping me around, and Odyssey is the only reason why I bought the shit to start with, that and it being on sale.

Hopefully Odyssey can make something worthy out of the game like they originally harped on about in the first place. They should move on to making Elite Dangerous 2 with a brand new Cobra 2 engine for next gen afterwards. And next time, no shitty ten year plans. Nevertheless, I can at least say that Elite Dangerous is shaping up to become Star Citizen before Star Citizen will, and Frontier isn't run by a nut burger like Chris Roberts. 👍👍

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

23 hours ago, huilun02 said:

So now tell me what is the vision of the developers and backers? And how it can it not already be satisfied by a game like Elite Dangerous?

What even is the community size and prominence of ED within the general gaming space? And what can be reasonably expected of SC?

I dont even play space sims. I ask of people to stop daydreaming and return to logical reality.

Sure, the devs made a fortune off it. But what good is it for the end consumer?

My big thing was I used to play Freespace 2 and wanted another space shooter. At SC's initial reveal there wasn't anything else, then Elite Dangerous showed up around the same time. Then Rebel Galaxy wanted to do the same thing, but thought the market would be too saturated so went slightly different.

ED I don't own but seems more like a boring MMO with a full trading ecosystem and stuff. There's some occasional space battles, mostly seems like griefing.

SC has yet to release anything.

Rogue Galaxy was created, and then a sequel was created that was more akin to Freespace since the other 2 didn't actually happen.

Then No Mans Sky had an entire debacle and redemption arc.

There's a market for it, SC just hasn't made anything worth selling.

#Muricaparrotgang

22 hours ago, Sauron said:

I'm not sure it qualifies as a pyramid scheme but it certainly has the makings of a scam at this point... it should have had an official launch years ago with a complete basic space sim experience, after that they could just add features progressively through updates. I don't think people would have minded if it had a subscription fee or a premium cosmetic economy to fund continued development if the studio actually delivered. This way they can get away with promising all sorts of features that may or may not ever be implemented while having an excuse for the game not actually being fully playable at any point.

I've tried making the argument that they should've released what was initially promised and built up from there before.

All I got in response was "They're not EA, they aren't going to release a half finished game with features we all bought into for. Receiving the product we paid for isn't satisfactory." The mental gymnastics that goes into that I'll never understand. It's like paying for a small Toyota and trying to bloat it up into a Ferrari and being upset that someone dares assume you should've gotten the Toyota you paid for.

Semi-ironically I'm listening to Linkin Park because I'm an angsty teen, but these lyrics seem fitting;

I see pain, I see need,
I see liars and thieves abuse power with greed.
I had hope, I believed,
But I'm beginning to think that I've been deceived.
You will pay for… what you've done!

13 hours ago, Spindel said:

Pffff, you guys clearly weren't hyped for Duke Nukem Forever at the announcement in 1997 to be sourly disappointed by it when it released in 2011. 

Let vaporware be vaporware, nothing good will come out of this.

Well... technically Duke did get released, along with The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV. None of them are particularly great though.

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, SADS said:

I'm still very surprised that these guys haven't been taken to court in some way yet.

Just reminds me of all those BS kick starter 'inventions'. They're just scams to get people rich quick.

Considered starting my own in some way! Free money! Promise something, never deliver... have the 'customers' chalk it up to experience.

#Muricaparrotgang

I have a feeling this is suffering from an affliction that affects a lot of projects, and it's got to do with giving your project extra time and extending the deadline beyond what you need. 

When you do this, you create an environment of ease that allows the developers, project managers, designers to stay in the pre-production stage for a very long time.   You need very tight and heavily enforced deadlines to keep everyone moving forward. 

My suspicion is when this game eventually is finished it will be partially complete and might have a lot of bugs. 

I know it's a bit pessimistic, but I'm only being honest. 

reminds me of how long it took for a new elite game to come out. (not that i am a elite player or anything)

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

49 minutes ago, Akolyte said:

When you do this, you create an environment of ease that allows the developers, project managers, designers to stay in the pre-production stage for a very long time.   You need very tight and heavily enforced deadlines to keep everyone moving forward.

Also see : Anthem.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

18 hours ago, SADS said:

I'm still very surprised that these guys haven't been taken to court in some way yet.

Just reminds me of all those BS kick starter 'inventions'. They're just scams to get people rich quick.

Considered starting my own in some way! Free money! Promise something, never deliver... have the 'customers' chalk it up to experience.

What is there to take them to court fo? they've been clear from the start you're basically donating money for a game that doesn't exist, can't really be sued for breaking promises or no company would exist.

not that they deserve to be defended or anything. it's annoying because for what little of the game does exist today, there really is nothing else like it even in its broken and permanently unfinished state. elite dangerous is also victim to broken promises and no content, and no man's sky might get there one day but it's more like the mobile version (much better value today though). i hope in vain one day star citizen will be finished, but i wouldn't recommend anybody buy it

15 hours ago, JZStudios said:

HAHAHA!

This is literally how i envisage every single crowdkickgofundscamme! XD

I bought a beta when they released the hangar, that was like 5 years ago or something. It would be neat but I'm not holding my breath

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Warned about this 3 years ago and 5 years ago. Where are the haters at now? Smelled this scam from the start.

It's just sad how many people don't understand the concept of legal scams and illegal scams. Star citizen is working in the scope of legality to avoid lawsuits while still a scam, but operating legally. Take it how you will. Never buy into hype because at the end of the day, that's all it is... Just hype. It'll die down and expectations of the game will come crashing because it doesn't live up to your imagination. Even if the game is released, it'll never be what you think it would be. Sadly, by that time, they've already milked investors of their money and ran away with it.

Part of the marketing strategy to scam investors of their money, is to wait for hype to die down before disappearing. This way, there won't be a lot of backlash since everyone has already moved on 10 years from now. This is how whales eat shrimps on the daily in the market.

I've been scammed in the past and I can tell you without a doubt this is a scam. They are giving you just enough "updates" to keep you giving them money but they will never finish completing your car because there will always be another problem that requires more money from you. 

You aren't stupid for falling for it because you want to trust people but in the real world people aren't trustworthy. You would be stupid for falling for it again though. Like with everything now always pay after the work has been complete, same goes with video games. There is a reason why they are asking for money to complete a project, if they can't complete it with their own money then they are either very bad at managing their money, out for your money or both. It's usually both. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

12 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I've been scammed in the past and I can tell you without a doubt this is a scam. They are giving you just enough "updates" to keep you giving them money but they will never finish completing your car because there will always be another problem that requires more money from you. 

You aren't stupid for falling for it because you want to trust people but in the real world people aren't trustworthy. You would be stupid for falling for it again though. Like with everything now always pay after the work has been complete, same goes with video games. There is a reason why they are asking for money to complete a project, if they can't complete it with their own money then they are either very bad at managing their money, out for your money or both. It's usually both. 

Good example of positive long time development was Black Mesa "mod" for Half-Life 2. A remaster of original Half-Life. It took them like 8 years to complete too, but was initially free and later as a payable stand alone game and it was made by a small team and they did outstanding job. I bought it during Early Access iirc and I'd do it again. It's one of the bast remasters of all times, visually and technically. People behind Star Citizen seem like they have zero coordination or idea what they are even doing. It gets even worse when studios like CDPR finalized massive immersive game like Cyberpunk 2077 in probably less time. And they've been working on The Witcher 3 in the meanwhile as well. These are not games you finish in 2 years. Yet they've done it. So, this has to be intentional or they are just so incompetent but greedy.

give it 8 more years and there'll be ppl still defending it and you can use this post once more. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Good example of positive long time development was Black Mesa "mod" for Half-Life 2. A remaster of original Half-Life. It took them like 8 years to complete too, but was initially free and later as a payable stand alone game and it was made by a small team and they did outstanding job. I bought it during Early Access iirc and I'd do it again. It's one of the bast remasters of all times, visually and technically. People behind Star Citizen seem like they have zero coordination or idea what they are even doing. It gets even worse when studios like CDPR finalized massive immersive game like Cyberpunk 2077 in probably less time. And they've been working on The Witcher 3 in the meanwhile as well. These are not games you finish in 2 years. Yet they've done it. So, this has to be intentional or they are just so incompetent but greedy.

Black Mesa only reminded me why I couldn't stand the original Half Life 1, one of the most overrated shooters ever to me. Was it well done a remake? Sure, but that comes with a major drawback since it inherits all of its flaws as well, with the same shitty marine AI with the impossibly high reaction times and pin point accuracy. It basically ruined the rest of the game for me. Half Life 2 was a LOT better. I'll give that game its props. But Half Life 1? Nah. 

5 hours ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

give it 8 more years and there'll be ppl still defending it and you can use this post once more. 

Yeah, sadly you might be right. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Difference is Black Mesa had a set end goal and didn't have a huge budget, it would be finished *eventually*. Star Citizen does not have a set end goal and has a massive budget.

Anyone sane knew from the very start of this project that it wasn't going to complete.

19 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Difference is Black Mesa had a set end goal and didn't have a huge budget, it would be finished *eventually*. Star Citizen does not have a set end goal and has a massive budget.

Anyone sane knew from the very start of this project that it wasn't going to complete.

If you're making a game and you don't have a defined goal or at least draft, you're really bad at developing. Usually there is a lot of pre-production where you make the scripts, basic drafts, theme etc.