As Star Citizen turns eight years old, the single-player campaign still sounds a long way off

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Eight years into this development process, and Star Citizen has yet to release anything that they’ve promised, instead somehow being led astray into consistent delays as more fans become turned off to the idea of the title that may one day actually release in time for grandchildren to appreciate the investment that the trunk of the family tree had the foresight to invest into.

seriously, an entire console generation has gone by in the time lol 

The AMA was meant to celebrate Star Citizen's milestone, but among posts about upcoming features for the main game were questions from clearly disgruntled fans who complained about the radio silence around Squadron 42, which is currently six years behind its original delivery target.

Squadron 42 is meant to be a cinematic, star-studded story-based single-player adventure akin to the Wing Commander games Roberts made his name with in the '90s. CIG has released flashy trailers for the game, starring virtual recreations of Hollywood actors such as Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman and Mark Strong, but it has yet to become playable for backers in any form.

"As it stands the community has completely divided opinions on the expected release date of SQ42 with opinions varying from that SQ42 is in beta currently to it being 5+ years away," 

Source : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-10-as-star-citizen-turns-eight-years-old-the-single-player-campaign-still-sounds-a-long-way-off

One of my very early tech topics i created on the forum was about me asking the same damn question, why s star citizen a getting all the hype

I said the same in 2013 and in 2015, this has gotta be the greatest pyramid scam i've ever seen with extra steps to ensure its life lol

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Im still waiting on Half Life 3 also. 

I've held my breath and died several times.

Remember when there was a subforum dedicated just for Star Citizen? I wonder how many people spent money upgrading their computers in anticipation for Star Citizen only to be disappointed. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

On 1/2/2015 at 3:44 AM, Zweihander said:

Impulse backed this in late 2013...hope it's worth. 

was it worth it still? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

13 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

Remember when there was a subforum dedicated just for Star Citizen? I wonder how many people spent money upgrading their computers in anticipation for Star Citizen only to be disappointed. 

A friend of mine is one of those. He bought his last PC specifically to play SC. He keeps telling me he's going to get a new one as soon as the game is out, not before.

I recently tried to talk about the game's state with him. My position was that the project is going nowhere. He basically told me that all critics are naysayers and he wouldn't take any argument to the contrary. "If the game isn't out in five more years, then we can talk about issues, but it's much too soon."

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Is this still a thing? Isn't it just an X3 clone with multiplayer that duped a bunch of morons into giving them like $300 million and will never be released?

The development cycle is so long that SC backers die before the release. I have just recently read about a guy who loved to theory craft with his friends but he recently died of cancer. He is sadly not the only one I remember reading.

Accounts are also already handed down to the next generation: tt.thumb.jpg.d3fc8daf27881b3f9ddf8fa8e2ac5de6.jpg

To be fair what they are doing is beyond what anyone else have tried so it is unique from that point of view, but they've had horrible management from the start and it's unknown how long the game would take to get ready, but I think once and if the performance improves by adding Vulkan then the game can accelerate in development because they've been held up by that for a while, I can see that the game has so much potential with how detailed each planet is. (I know there are other games like it but nowhere near to the detail of SC)

They definitely do deserve the criticism though with how much they have been backed and still not working as efficiently in developing the game because of how much they've messed up along the way.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

The more I think about it the more I'm glad I never actually gave this game money.

12 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

To be fair what they are doing is beyond what anyone else have tried so it is unique from that point of view, but they've had horrible management

I agree with the management but I think the main problem is their chosen Crytek engine.

Chris Roberts picked the engine for the visual fidelity but it is not suitable for a large MMO project. They had and still are in year eight rewriting the core engine. The engine is also large forgotten aside from Amazon and their trouble with it (they bought it and renamed it). This leads to a bad documentation and little support.

3 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

but I think once and if the performance improves by adding Vulkan then the game can accelerate in development because they've been held up by that for a while, I can see that the game has so much potential with how detailed each planet is. (I know there are other games like it but nowhere near to the detail of SC)

Performance of the game isn't their main issue by a long shot. Constantly adding new tech, building and rebuilding components, polishing things before the overall structure of the game is done, rewriting previously finished code because some component needed an overhaul…

Changing their rendering to Vulkan at this stage would be yet another reason why the game is delayed endlessly.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Honestly I don't even know if it's a pyramid scheme at this pint because they would have just  ran away with the money a long time ago if that were the case.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I agree with the management but I think the main problem is their chosen Crytek engine.

Chris Roberts picked the engine for the visual fidelity but it is not suitable for a large MMO project. They had and still are in year eight rewriting the core engine. The engine is also large forgotten aside from Amazon and their trouble with it (they bought it and renamed it). This leads to a bad documentation and little support.

Didn't the same thing happen to the original Final Fantasy XIV? The dev team focused way too much on visual fidelity but used an engine not suitable for an MMO (Crystal Tools in this case), it ended up taking over half a decade to finish and even then, it was released incomplete and to rather negative reception.

45 minutes ago, Vanderburg said:

Is this still a thing? Isn't it just an X3 clone with multiplayer that duped a bunch of morons into giving them like $300 million and will never be released?

Yup, seems like nothing but a scam with some small playable tech demos.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

23 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Didn't the same thing happen to the original Final Fantasy XIV? The dev team focused way too much on visual fidelity but used an engine not suitable for an MMO (Crystal Tools in this case), it ended up taking over half a decade to finish and even then, it was released incomplete and to rather negative reception.

Not quite.

it was released and then afterwards completely redone - to the praise of players and reviewers alike and is hugely popular with many expansions since then.  (mind you never played it but lots of my friends do and it *is* highly popular and a big success)

I think you maybe thinking of FF"versus" which was scrapped and supposedly parts were reused in FF XV...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Not quite.

it was released and then afterwards completely redone - to the praise of players and reviewers alike and is hugely popular with many expansions since then.  (mind you never played it but lots of my friends do and it *is* highly popular and a big success)

I think you maybe thinking of FF"versus" which was scrapped and supposedly parts were reused in FF XV...

Yeah I'm referring to FFXIV before the rework.

Star Citizen is not a scam, it's just poorly managed and inefficient use of time and money while doing many mistakes. They also love to take advantage of their supporters. Last part is scummy tho but they did not start the hole thing to scam people, if they had they wouldn't have gone so far they they have at this point.

I personally would like to know how much they have actually used(and wasted) of the money they have gotten at this point.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

selling jpgs for literally 1000$ is a scam, just because there are gullible people out there doesn't make it not a scam.

They have zero reason to ever finish this "game" because it literally prints money in its *current* state.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I bought it back in the days when people started getting excited and totally regret it (albeit I just spent 40€ or something). 

I can't believe they still make over $500.000 per week with this scam. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I can't believe they still make over $500.000 per week with this scam. 

Me too! 
I mean whales surely have more than enough ships by now

Man the times. I bought into the hype and got a lot of extra ships and goodies in anticipation... That slowly fizzed out. They have have is very cool, but ultimately I paid for and wanted the single-player experience.

I've since sold everything except the package that lets me access SP + MP, we'll see where it ends up in another decade.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube