Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Im talking mostly food products. Glass and aluminum can be used for food products. As both of those are easier to recycle. We just keep kicking the garbage can down the road. What do you propose we do with all the wasted plastic? 

agreed, read my edits

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Tell that to the sea turtle who got one stuck up his nose and nearly starved to death.

thats more of a problem with littering, and people being careless, and companies dumping their trash into the ocean, which is bad

16 minutes ago, King of Memes said:

thats more of a problem with littering, and people being careless, and companies dumping their trash into the ocean, which is bad

Potato potato.  Can littering be 100% stopped?  Doesn’t look like it.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Tell that to the sea turtle who got one stuck up his nose and nearly starved to death.  Or the people who tried to save him.  Might have a plastic straw sticking out of something embarrassing.  Paper straws collapse though.  I remember that one from grade school.  How many sucks do you get out of a paper straw? Not enough to empty a kiddie milk carton most of the time.  Perhaps some engineering needs to go into that one.  If paper straws didn’t collapse they be just better.  It can probably be done.

Paper straws taste absolutely disgusting.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

46 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Paper straws taste absolutely disgusting.

I Don’t remember them tasting like anything.  Might depend on the paper used.  The mere name “straw” though implies they were originally a plant product.  one should be able to breed a monocot where all one would need to do is grow them and cut them though.   Seems like it would be cheaper yet.  Maybe a dicot.  Something in the onion family.  They make strong tubes.  I’ve actually used chives as straws. They work ok, but of course there’s the onion flavor. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

MSM in a nutshell.

pretty much everything imao

Caffeine should be on the same list as alcohol, but also cannabis and others.
Same goes for nicotine.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I agree with banning or requiring the reduction of use of some plastics.

It really annoys me to see a thick plastic jug for a 2 liter bottle of plastic ... nobody's gonna recycle that jug. We used to have 1 liter plastic foil bags of milk, now we have carton (tetrapack style) boxes, and lately I've seen they started to do plastic jugs here.

A lot of products use plastic instead of glass simply because it's better for the company : less broken items during shipping, slightly lighter packaging compared to glass, easier to stack product in warehouses (because more weight can sit on a pallet without breaking or cracking, more resistant to accidental drops (so less cleaning on isles in supermarket etc)

The tetrapack packages are not as recyclable as they claim to be ... remember they're basically a sandwich of cardboard, aluminum and plastic foil ... so a recycling company would need a specialized machine to separate the layers and who's gonna build up enough of a shippment of recycled tetrapack boxes to run through that machine and recover his investment in such a machine?

But there's lots of products with excessive plastic packaging simply to make the products harder to steal off the shelves or to make the product more visible (ex pack of 5 razor heads in a plastic case that can hold 10 or 12 razors, simply because the bigger packaging looks better on shelves or can't be easily pocketed.

81j6t50PadL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Another good example is those packs of liquid detergent capsules ... it's not just excessive plastic packaging (for the bucket) but also the space used in shipping and amount used on shelves and so on ... see on the right: 

Few people are gonna recycle the plastic bottle and this product doesn't even need it. They could have easily do with a Pringles type can or a tetrapak or another type of cardboard box.

The pods are also waste of space, and hard to stack and so they use way more space then needed in the pack.

Seriously they could put those 3 separate liquids into separate capsules in a blister like you see medicine sold and simply say on the packaging "Pop one of each color"and throw the set in the washing machine with every load."

The blisters could be in plain cardboard packaging you could easily recycle.

You could even skip the blisters, you could bundle them like chewing gum,

But ... they make it big on purpose to be visible on shelves and to make it seem like worth the money.

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Potato potato.  Can littering be 100% stopped?  Doesn’t look like it.  

it can't 100% be stopped. I just said it was bad. But people will litter everything they call trash, and its not just plastic that kills sea animals. Sea Otters get tangled in fishing net, and they get killed in oil spills. 

55 minutes ago, King of Memes said:

it can't 100% be stopped. I just said it was bad. But people will litter everything they call trash, and its not just plastic that kills sea animals. Sea Otters get tangled in fishing net, and they get killed in oil spills. 

Neither of those points alter the plastic straw thing though.  Biodegradable stuff doesn’t stop people from littering it just makes it less relevant.  Something that is biodegradable might be termed spontaneously biodegradable.  When they are littered they break down all by themselves.  More or less.  One could, for example, make straws out of PETE which is a commonly recycled material.  It’s what clear plastic bottles are commonly made of.  The thing is is such items must enter the recycling system to be recycled at all and littered items don’t do that.  A resilient inexpensive spontaneously biodegradable material is needed for a good solution for straws.  I don’t know of one that would work well for that but that doesn’t mean such a material cannot be made, nor does it make current straws OK.  The suggested current solution of carrying around metal straws has clear problems though and doesn’t really work either.

Edited by Bombastinator

Its not the straws thats the problem its the people using them.

We here in the civilized western part of Europe have all set up great plastic recycling things.

But if then some Thai company comes and buys all the plastic to recycle but just dumps it cus its cheaper.

It will never be fixxed.

EVERYONE need to participate in the recycling of it. Else its a lost cause.

(And no, paper straws ARE NOT a substitute for plastic ones. And yes some beverages need them, think beyond the shortsightedness of just your own drink of choice. 🙂)

Source to show im not talking out my arse (Dutch): https://www.trouw.nl/nieuws/ons-plastic-afval-is-funest-voor-het-thaise-platteland-tussen-de-cassaveplanten-liggen-resten-elektronica~b3cd525b/

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

We here in the civilized western part of Europe have all set up great plastic recycling things.

which like others have pointed towards, is a bit of a lie.

one thing is "there is no great recycling place", although some have something of a recycling or destruction area that is being used, rather than nothing at all.

But still most of them will be overloaded or sold to third world countries... which sucks and more so when they are not honest about it happening.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

which like others have pointed towards, is a bit of a lie.

one thing is "there is no great recycling place", although some have something of a recycling or destruction area that is being used, rather than nothing at all.

But still most of them will be overloaded or sold to third world countries... which sucks and more so when they are not honest about it happening.

Maybe read the lines after that too.
Then you will understand that that line you mentioned was more sarcasm then anything else. 😉

Unpopular Opinion: I prefer Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero" over the Shrek cover.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

3 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

Unpopular Opinion: I prefer Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For a Hero" over the Shrek cover.

Agreed, while we are at it what's with people's obsession with Shrek? Especially "All Star", I can't stand that song.  

18 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I can't stand that song.  

That's the point. It has become a meme. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 hours ago, The_russian said:

Agreed, while we are at it what's with people's obsession with Shrek? Especially "All Star", I can't stand that song.  

I listened to both versions one after the other today, and the original just felt more bombastic. The Shrek version felt a bit muted by comparison.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

30 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I listened to both versions one after the other today, and the original just felt more bombastic. The Shrek version felt a bit muted by comparison.

It started out good, but everything after the intro was just "eh". It was mostly background music though so maybe being a little more "muted" was what they were going for?

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Not all mechanical keyboards are better than all membranes. Yes there are some truly garbage, bottom of the barrel membrane keyboards out there, but I actually prefer typing on many membranes over mechanicals.

same, kinda. if mechanical was more liquid proof and customizable (not looking at hot swappable ones).
as the only good thing that mechanical can offer a lot for, making the keyboard "yours" in strenght of buttons and button type to sound.

Also the... price, and if it doesn't fit you that well.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

same, kinda. if mechanical was more liquid proof and customizable (not looking at hot swappable ones).
as the only good thing that mechanical can offer a lot for, making the keyboard "yours" in strenght of buttons and button type to sound.

Also the... price, and if it doesn't fit you that well.

The noise bothers my roommate also. My Cherry MX Blues are really loud

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

The noise bothers my roommate also. My Cherry MX Blues are really loud

clicky noise switches? poor guy, feeling the blues.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

clicky noise switches? poor guy, feeling the blues.

It's more of the thunk sound than the clicks, the keycaps I use are quite percussive. Some of the custom keycaps I have (like the custom one on Esc and the one on Pause) are much quieter.  

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

It's more of the thunk sound than the clicks, the keycaps I use are quite percussive. Some of the custom keycaps I have (like the custom one on Esc and the one on Pause) are much quieter.  

I’ve heard of a descriptor of mechanical keyboards being the “thock”.  Is thunk a kind of thock?