Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
13 hours ago, The_Machine125 said:

Wait this is a unpopular opinion?
I fucking love cold water

It’s a traditional EU/N. America issue.  EU people think North Americans want ice in everything because they often put it in water. It was a joke when I was a kid.  The big issue is beer and wine.  There are EU beers that were actually designed to be drunk at room temperature and refridgerating them actually messes up the flavor whereas there are North American beers that were designed to be refrigerated and NOT refridgerating them and drinking them cold messes them up.   The result is for some reason EU people often thought North Americans put ice cubes in wine.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:39 PM, captain_to_fire said:

Cold water is delicious 

This is a travesty! Abomination to mankind! What's next? You like your Coca-Cola moist?! jfc

Spoiler

/s

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

EU people think North Americans want ice in everything because they often put it in water.

I dont do Ice because when I worked in Fast Food, we found mould in our Ice machine. The store manager failed to ensure that it was cleaned monthly like recommended. A company was hired by the Corporation to inspect Franchise stores and thats pretty much how it was found. They basically looked for every thing the health department would look for. The one good thing is at least it wasn't found by the heath inspector because that might have been bad. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I dont do Ice because when I worked in Fast Food, we found mould in our Ice machine. The store manager failed to ensure that it was cleaned monthly like recommended. A company was hired by the Corporation to inspect Franchise stores and thats pretty much how it was found. They basically looked for every thing the health department would look for. The one good thing is at least it wasn't found by the heath inspector because that might have been bad. 

A lot of issues with food production, certain corners are just going to be a nightmare to clean due to limited time or effort/pay.

Certain places you have to turn things off for quite a while for being able to clean it or getting to the worst spots.

Some can be done yearly or every 3-6 months, but sometimes people do skip areas would need to do.

Spoiler

Which is why some in food and health doesn't recommend getting ice in anything when ordered.

There could be sooo much bacteria and health issues around it depending on it's condition to cleaning of other equipment, to the mold that you spoke of.

Worse is also expired food to mold used in cooking, were any diary, beans, meat can be either treated good or in horrible conditions that can have health concerns. Which is going back to, knowing what you would want to order when eating from others cooking, standards they may have, health issues or death it could pose by negligence, like a very bad offender with negligence around sea/shell food that could quickly become toxic or deadly.

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

This is a travesty! Abomination to mankind! What's next? You like your Coca-Cola moist?! jfc

I think everyone in the tropics would love their coca-cola moist :old-grin:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Some pretty big ones I've noticed:

• Standalone keyboards should always have a numpad. I really don't care for portability and I've never had space issues with my keyboard. Literally what's the point of having a discrete keyboard that doesn't have a numpad if portability isn't a concern, and why the hell are 100% mechanical keyboards (especially wireless ones) so hard to find?
  • Sorta on the above note, but I also don't understand the appeal of wired keyboards and mice. Once upon a time the latency difference between wired and wireless keyboards was atrocious, but I personally feel we've bridged the gap so well that there's no difference I can feel. Why are wireless options still comparatively niche?
  • Physical copies of books will always be better than digital copies for me. This one has seriously screwed with me over the last few years in undergrad and grad school since physical copies of textbooks are so expensive, but there's just something about digital publications that makes me lose focus after like... 2 lines. It's so much harder for me to track the words on a page of a digital book as opposed to a physical copy where I can typically stay engaged for much longer (though I still have a relatively short attention span).
  • Same thing as the above, but for games. Why wouldn't I want the box copy of a game? Granted, I've pretty much been converted to digital only for PC games, but for my PS5 (never mindthe fact that I've only really been playing PS4 games on it thus far) I really want to try to procure as many physical versions of games I want since I just really prefer having the physical memento of that game.
  • It kinda feels like the world's moved on from this, but I'm still salty over more and more phone manufacturers killing off the 2.5mm headphone jack. An entire interface worth of headphones just... unable to be used. Sure, probably makes sense in the long run, but it just hurts.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Just now, CT854 said:

Sorta on the above note, but I also don't understand the appeal of wired keyboards and mice. Once upon a time the latency difference between wired and wireless keyboards was atrocious, but I personally feel we've bridged the gap so well that there's no difference I can feel. Why are wireless options still comparatively niche?

There's a big one: Wired keyboards will never have a problem with getting the signal between the keyboard and the computer unless the wire's chopped in half. I have a Magic Mouse 1, and when it works it's great. When it gets disconnected it can take awhile to get connected again. It's why I try to use wired for everything I can - the weakest link in data transfer is the medium it goes over, and you can physically see damage to a wire.

2 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Physical copies of books will always be better than digital copies for me. This one has seriously screwed with me over the last few years in undergrad and grad school since physical copies of textbooks are so expensive, but there's just something about digital publications that makes me lose focus after like... 2 lines. It's so much harder for me to track the words on a page of a digital book as opposed to a physical copy where I can typically stay engaged for much longer (though I still have a relatively short attention span).

I like physical copies of a book if I like the art or something else about it, otherwise I'm buying it on Kindle (if I can). It's so much easier to transport a small square that can hold tens of thousands of pages in a very light package, compared to the enormous box that I'd need for that many books. My grandpa though hates digital books though (that's how I got my Kindle, he hated his and gave it to me).

4 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Same thing as the above, but for games. Why wouldn't I want the box copy of a game? Granted, I've pretty much been converted to digital only for PC games, but for my PS5 (never mindthe fact that I've only really been playing PS4 games on it thus far) I really want to try to procure as many physical versions of games I want since I just really prefer having the physical memento of that game.

SAME.

The only reason a physical copy will not work is if it gets damaged. With digital, if you forget your password/accidentally screw something up/etc. that's a 98% chance that the game's gone forever. I also like taking game boxes and organizing them by date of purchase/alphabetical order on bookshelves. Something about it is pleasing to me.

elephants

35 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

A lot of issues with food production, certain corners are just going to be a nightmare to clean due to limited time or effort/pay.

Certain places you have to turn things off for quite a while for being able to clean it or getting to the worst spots.

Some can be done yearly or every 3-6 months, but sometimes people do skip areas would need to do.

Well its all fun and games till the health department is inspecting your joint and finding stuff. Considering they have the legal authority to close down any business that doesn't meet health safety standards. 

Thats actually what happened to our local grocery store. Almost a decade ago we had a small store in downtown. They got caught selling expired meat. The Health Department closed them down. I guess the city government gave the owner a choice. GTFO of the city and never come back, or they would have the local police up their ass. He chose to GTFO. So the store sits vacant, for the past decade. The worst part is they left all the food when they close the business. The inside of the store needs at least 1 million+ dollars in renovations. No takers as of yet. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Stories like this confuse me. When I worked in fast food, stores in our franchise would get food safety inspections done every 2-3 months by a state inspector. If a store failed the inspection, they would have I think it was 2 weeks or a month to get re-inspected. If they failed again the second time (or maybe if it was 3 times, can't remember), the manager of the store would automatically get at minimum demoted, so needless to say when the manager's job is on the line, they took food safety seriously. How often do most food places get inspections? From what I have heard our situation was an exception, which is unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Windows 10 is a better experience than Windows 7 and handles crashes and problems much much better.

Might depend on what you are trying to do. Getting to safe mode in win10 requires absurd contortions.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Might depend on what you are trying to do. Getting to safe mode in win10 requires absurd contortions.

Whoever decided to make booting into safe mode more than a matter of smashing F8 screwed up big time.  I'm perfectly okay with 'Looks like it's broken, wanna do safe mode?' but I should be able to call it up on PURPOSE.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Super sensitive accelerator pedals (and brake pedals) are not "sporty". They are "stupid". Pedal response should be more or less linear and proportional and not have any "dead zones" either.

I'm looking at you, Toyota.

4 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Whoever decided to make booting into safe mode more than a matter of smashing F8 screwed up big time.  I'm perfectly okay with 'Looks like it's broken, wanna do safe mode?' but I should be able to call it up on PURPOSE.

It’s not impossible, quite.  It requires a reboot to merely get to the screen where it is. I fully agree it was exceptionally stupid to drop it that deep.  I could possibly see putting it a little farther away from use to reduce accidental activation but what they did was just asinine.

5 hours ago, The_russian said:

Stories like this confuse me. When I worked in fast food, stores in our franchise would get food safety inspections done every 2-3 months by a state inspector. If a store failed the inspection, they would have I think it was 2 weeks or a month to get re-inspected. If they failed again the second time (or maybe if it was 3 times, can't remember), the manager of the store would automatically get at minimum demoted, so needless to say when the manager's job is on the line, they took food safety seriously. How often do most food places get inspections? From what I have heard our situation was an exception, which is unfortunate. 

I think once or twice a year. More if someone calls and complains to the Health Department. They also rotate inspectors, so you never know who’s coming. 

The corporate office would conduct inspections at least once a year, I think more than that, I couldn’t remember. 

10 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

New Bitmap Image (2).jpg

On 5/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, FakeKGB said:

There's a big one: Wired keyboards will never have a problem with getting the signal between the keyboard and the computer unless the wire's chopped in half. I have a Magic Mouse 1, and when it works it's great. When it gets disconnected it can take awhile to get connected again. It's why I try to use wired for everything I can - the weakest link in data transfer is the medium it goes over, and you can physically see damage to a wire.

Ehh... I suppose. I guess I just irrationally hate wires to the point where all of the technical drawbacks to not being able to spot damage like that is just worth it to me if it means I won't have to deal with that annoying tug whenever I move my mouse, or that damn wire keeping me from moving my mouse or keyboard to a more comfortable position when I just wanna lay back in my chair.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

This one is regarding making meat dishes where you basically shatter bones with cleaver to get flavour.

Flavour which you will get is insignificant compared to the completely removing joy of eating when you need to care about millions of small bone fragments. 

32 minutes ago, Niksa said:

This one is regarding making meat dishes where you basically shatter bones with cleaver to get flavour.

Flavour which you will get is insignificant compared to the completely removing joy of eating when you need to care about millions of small bone fragments. 

I think they’re shattering them too much then.  All you got to do allow access to marrow is crack the thing. Gravel is counterproductive.  If you gotta make gravel strain the bones out before serving.  Cracked mutton bones is one common ingredient in ramen broth

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Cracked mutton bones is one common ingredient in ramen broth

They mostly use pig bones, not mutton ones. They are the base for tonkotsu ramen. Also, they strain the soup and I have no issues with that. However, speaking of ramen, if my chashu had tons of small bone fragments inside I would probably not eat it.

Eg, I had Michelin star chicken rice meal in Singapore and they were basically cutting chicken with cleaver, smashing bones in process so I did not enjoy that meal because of the bone fragments. 

6 minutes ago, Niksa said:

They mostly use pig bones, not mutton ones. They are the base for tonkotsu ramen. Also, they strain the soup and I have no issues with that. However, speaking of ramen, if my chashu had tons of small bone fragments inside I would probably not eat it.

Eg, I had Michelin star chicken rice meal in Singapore and they were basically cutting chicken with cleaver, smashing bones in process so I did not enjoy that meal because of the bone fragments. 

Ew.

cooked chicken bones are splintery and can be dangerous.  The whole reason you’re not supposed to give pets chicken is because eating the cooked bones can puncture their digestive tract and kill them.  Raw is ok but not cooked.  If a chef wants to add marrow or bone gelatin to food it’s a simple matter to put the parts in a mesh bag and remove it before cooking.  That sounds awful.

Don't remember but there can be nerve related issues around bones and not sure what temp they should be at, while every animal has different issues with dealing with cooking bones. You can just split it, cook it, and throw away the bones. Else there are some cooking channels showing the use of bone marrow in burgers to increase the flavour.

Not sure about the comment above, what you mean and for who?

Also the nightmares around bone gelatin in how much you trust there being animal bones used in there.

Anime is cringe but if you enjoy it thats fine as long as you arent obsessive about it. I would say when you become obsessed with catgirls is the point when you need to stop and chill and get other hobbies.

46 minutes ago, Colonizor48 said:

Anime is cringe but if you enjoy it thats fine as long as you arent obsessive about it.

Sure, a lot of anime aspects are very annoying and cringe, but comics to hollywood movies got their own issues too.

Some anime that might not seem as anime like, can be very good or covers a theme, but often anime can be quite repetitive or have a bad structure to them, some due to the market they target. but if you say that all anime is cringe, that is kinda cringe.

Spoiler

I would say when you become obsessed with catgirls is the point when you need to stop and chill and get other hobbies.

catgirls did nothing wrong!

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

For the realistic speed that 5G offers you in a normal use-case that doesn't involve mmWave or having a direct line of sight to the antennas, they massively overhype 5G and it's speed. Every advertisement from every German provider claims a "new era" and "hyperfast/hyperspeed". On Saturday I tested it. LTE Advanced offers realistic 170-300 Mbit/s with an upstream of 50-90Mbit/s (which is actually quite a bit of what my provider, Deutsche Telekom, lists). 5G for both me and my father lands at around 30-100Mbit/s that are rather shaky and unstable and an upstream of ~20-30 Mbit/s. So it's a sore disappointment for what they make it up to be. Claiming "HyperFast" or whatever and then they can't deliver.

TL;DR: 5G, in it's current state, is more marketing and hot air to me than anything that is faster than 4G+/LTE Advanced (higher-frequency LTE).

As a general rule as things get faster their useful length tends to shorten.  This is as true with wireless stuff as cabled stuff.  Also marketers lie.  There’s a limit to how much they can do it, but there’s generally a lot of misdirection.  Something that might only happen in a specific situation or special case gets conflated to imply all the time.  The issue with testing wireless stuff is ranges and environments tend to change. This was also true with 4g though. It’s real life behaviors were also manipulated by marketing.  It wouldn’t surprise me at all that real world capacity would remain within claimed stuff for 4g.