Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
Just now, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like you need throw length. A thin laptop keyboard won’t have that.  Not enough depth to work with.

For my typing? Possibly, but I love Dell Latitude keyboards, especially the older ones (D610/620/630, E4300 etc.), so the IBM keyboard issue is not just throw length. The issue withI BM keyboard sis that i keepm aking mistake slike these. They fixed it now, by the way. It's been a thing for a very long time (say Pentium M until 4/5th ish gen Core i) but now they are just... mediocre. 

1 minute ago, s_k said:

For my typing? Possibly, but I love Dell Latitude keyboards, especially the older ones (D610/620/630, E4300 etc.), so the IBM keyboard issue is not just throw length. The issue withI BM keyboard sis that i keepm aking mistake slike these. They fixed it now, by the way. It's been a thing for a very long time (say Pentium M until 4/5th ish gen Core i) but now they are just... mediocre. 

I had a friend with a max high typing speed who got RSI and used to buy wild looking expensive keyboards to alleviate it.  That weird one that looked like two cups? He had one. $300 keyboard and it actually wasn’t overpriced for what it was.  They had to have 3 different angles for the keys on each hand so it was a bit like 6 keyboards. It meant he got into the particulars and I got hit with it by osmosis. There’s how far you press, where the bottom out is, and where the actuation is in that throw.  The cup keyboard has a really long throw but a short actuation and the idea is you never actually hit bottom.  It was later discovered that people with RSI could use regular keyboards and just shift their position slightly and it worked just as well so exotic “ergonomic” keyboards went away.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm actually trying out as I type this whether I hit the bottom, and I definitely do. Even though it isn't necessary at all. it's probably the tactile bump that speeds me to the bottom. I could've tried switches without the bump but didn't want to bet on it. May do that in the future though. Unfortunately there's loads of hobbies to send my limited amount of money on ;). 
Do you remember/can you figure out what the 'two cups' keyboard was called? I'm intrigued now! 

1 hour ago, s_k said:

Nah, it's phones, consistently. It helps a bit when you use more expensive cables but it's still not great. Most frustrating moment was walking the streets of Porto, Portugal while trying to charge from my powerbank. It wouldn't hold for more than three steps. Cable was brand new and not cheap either. 
I mean I love the features, but the physical part, not at all. 

Are you sure the problem is with the cables? Whenever I’ve seen loose connections it was due to cheap devices, not the cable. Which sucks because that can’t be fixed with just buying a higher quality cable, you are basically screwed. Even if you manage to replace the port with an OEM part, it will also wear out quickly.

It's better with higher quality cables, I'm sure the phone is ageing too but even when it was new it wasn't great compared to Micro USB

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

Are you sure the problem is with the cables? Whenever I’ve seen loose connections it was due to cheap devices, not the cable. Which sucks because that can’t be fixed with just buying a higher quality cable, you are basically screwed. Even if you manage to replace the port with an OEM part, it will also wear out quickly.

If this is MicroUSB2 we’re talking about it actually can be the cables.  Specifically the use of cheapass cables in the past that didn’t have the correct connection system but instead a cheaper one.  Has to do I think with the way those little triangles that hold things in are made.  It’s an issue that was discovered months after the standard came out and having to do with there sort of being to standards an original and a revised and some manufacturers refusing to follow the revised standard because it cost more and still calling their stuff microUSB2. It made the whole system suck.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

If this is MicroUSB2 we’re talking about it actually can be the cables.  Specifically the use of cheapass cables in the past that didn’t have the correct connection system but instead a cheaper one.  Has to do I think with the way those little triangles that hold things in are made.  It’s an issue that was discovered months after the standard came out and having to do with there sort of being to standards an original and a revised and some manufacturers refusing to follow the revised standard because it cost more and still calling their stuff microUSB2. It made the whole system suck.

Nope I was talking about USB-C. As far as I know USB-C doesn't have any sort of locking mechanism to keep the connector in the port. Micro-B connectors have the two little triangular tabs, lightening connectors have indents on the side that lock into the port, but with Type-C there is no visible locking mechanism. Either there is something built into the inside of the connector that I haven't seen, or the hope is that friction will hold the connector in. So when a device is made cheaply either the tolerances aren't great to begin with or the port wears out very quickly, which leads to cables falling out easily.

I like the idea of Type-C, I just wish it had a design similar to the lightening connector with the cable being the male side that inserts into a port, instead of how it actually is where a part of the port goes into the cable. While I haven't had any Type-C ports break on me yet, it seems like a more fragile connector than lightening. Another thing is how easy it is to plug the connector in. I don't know if this is a problem with the connector in general or just the implementation on all the devices I have (I have a feeling it's the former), but with Type-C the connector has to be directly perpendicular to the port in order to plug it in. With lightening on the other hand the connector can be at a slight angle and still go in. It's not that big of a deal and even less so with wireless charging becoming more popular for phones, but still is a little annoyance I noticed. 

11 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Nope I was talking about USB-C. As far as I know USB-C doesn't have any sort of locking mechanism to keep the connector in the port. Micro-B connectors have the two little triangular tabs, lightening connectors have indents on the side that lock into the port, but with Type-C there is no visible locking mechanism. Either there is something built into the inside of the connector that I haven't seen, or the hope is that friction will hold the connector in. So when a device is made cheaply either the tolerances aren't great to begin with or the port wears out very quickly, which leads to cables falling out easily.

I like the idea of Type-C, I just wish it had a design similar to the lightening connector with the cable being the male side that inserts into a port, instead of how it actually is where a part of the port goes into the cable. While I haven't had any Type-C ports break on me yet, it seems like a more fragile connector than lightening. Another thing is how easy it is to plug the connector in. I don't know if this is a problem with the connector in general or just the implementation on all the devices I have (I have a feeling it's the former), but with Type-C the connector has to be directly perpendicular to the port in order to plug it in. With lightening on the other hand the connector can be at a slight angle and still go in. It's not that big of a deal and even less so with wireless charging becoming more popular for phones, but still is a little annoyance I noticed. 

Sounds like you’re having the same complaints people with microUSB2 had. USBC was supposed to stop that stuff. Argh. 

11 hours ago, The_russian said:

I like the idea of Type-C, I just wish it had a design similar to the lightening connector with the cable being the male side that inserts into a port, instead of how it actually is where a part of the port goes into the cable. While I haven't had any Type-C ports break on me yet, it seems like a more fragile connector than lightening.

I very much second this. 
My ports have all been fine, it's just really hard to make the cable stay put properly, unless you're using brand new devices and super high quality cables. 
I do notice that my OnePlus 6's original cable still holds perfeclty fine, but many of the Anker (so not super cheap!) ones fall out when driving, when putting it on my night stand (really annoying, you think you charged...), when walking with a powerbank and the phone in my pocket, when trying to use the phone while it's charging, yadda yadda. 

14 hours ago, overthe6r said:

Dennis is best LMG member

Live, Love, Liao.
We can all agree on this. 

2 hours ago, s_k said:

Woah, sorry for that. I can't remove them, can I? 
It kept telling me to repost in 5 seconds, so I kept trying. Apparently it did work. Weird. 

No, you can't remove your own posts, but you can use the report button and the moderators will do it for you if there's a clear reason for it.

(Also,  if you want to reply to someone and you are already the last person to post in the thread. you should edit your original post rather than make a new one - just helps to minimise clutter on the page)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

The edit button needs to be way bigger on this forum! 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Aspartame (or other sugar substitute) is the best thing ever for coffee / soda drinkers.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

18 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

oh, btw:

10. Electric vehicles are the bigger ecological threat to our planet that any modern European (compliant with Euro 5 or Euro 6 eco standards) diesel or natural gas powered car - lithium batteries are the worst when it comes to ecology.

This one smells a lot like people who think ecigarettes are more dangerous than cigarettes mostly because of marketing using tobacco money.   If the info is coming from. Vested interest it is suspect. Period.  Is it possible? Perhaps perhaps not.  People who actually do the math on it and are not vested in anything but ecology tend to say no. The whole “ electric cars are a fraud” thing was pushed very hard by Detroit for a while, mostly because they were frantically building their own electric cars but they weren’t out yet.  Then it vanished. Are electric vehicles not as good as some people say they are?  That’s a safe bet.  That’s not the same as worse than a fossil fuel vehicle though.  If the electricity for the electric car is being produced exclusively by a coal plant it’s a coal burning car, and then one has to measure things. Generally even then electric cars come out ahead of ICE cars though. Not by as much as is they would if the electricity came from renewables but still better.  Apparently the deal is if you make an energy generator that is gigantic and doesn’t move it can be a lot more efficient than a 4 cycle piston engine.

Edited by Bombastinator

The LG V20 was an excellent phone and deserving of significantly more attention.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

4 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I am not saying that electric cars are fraud in any way, just saying that Lithium sucks. if there was more eco-friendly energy storage material, I wouldn't complain a bit. And I said that only Euro 5/6 compliant cars are better - but the problem is that the majority of people do not have these ones, and they do not want to do any engine swap, if that's possible, so the EVs are the major step forward anyway

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
If one has an old car they’d have to buy a new one anyway. What you are saying is thy should buy a 5/6 rather than an electric.  It might not even be wrong, but reading brochures by the people that make the 5/6 cars or the electric cars for that matter is not a useful way to find out. 

The people selling the gas engine cars are going to claim they are better.  It goes without saying.  Whether they actually ARE or not is another question. 

17 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

3. There is no reason in using JavaScript for anything, except for saving time and working hours

Are you saying that you want to have to install software on your local machine, possibly discovering that it's not compatible with your hardware or operating system, for every task?

The advantage of JavaScript is compatibility. It's as close as we can get to true "write-once, run anywhere".

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

8 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

Nah, JIT-compilation or any other interpreter-based script language can give me the same advantage. JavaScript is not the best of them.

That still doesn't get over the incovenience of having to perform manual software installation for everything.

I'd wager the vast majority of people would rather directly order their (whatever) from the Amazon website than have to go to Amazon.com, download the installer, run it, then find Amazon in the menu and launch it.

JavaScript as a programming language is far from fantastic, but what the technology facilitates (true cross-platform applications) is.

pythonmegapixel

I hate recipes which don't use whole eggs, but instead only white(s) only or yolk(s) are used.

Yes, unused parts can be used for other recipes, but I don't want to plan what to cook just to use remainder of eggs. It will happen more often than not that I will simply trash leftover egg parts.

8 hours ago, Eviljuche said:

The only things I've read about Euro standards are the Wikipedia page and European Environment Agency's reports. I do not believe any marketing - Whether it is pro or contra the EVs.

They are - if you'll look at things in a perspective - Lithium production, recycling, and utilization are the ones of the most eco-unfriendliest processes. Plus, when Lithium burns (In an EV car crash, for example) - it creates a local toxic disaster which requires dozens of hours of firefighters's hard work to be fully stopped. I thought everyone knows how lithium sucks from school chemistry and physics lessons...

With all that said, Euro 5/6 cars are better than EVs only for now. Studies show us that there are safe ways of Lithium recycling and they might be implemented in the next 5 or 10 years. Or maybe a new way of storing the energy will be found and implemented soon - much less toxic and harmful to nature - and there are studies about that too.

In the us they get lithium by pumping water into a prehistoric dry lake bed in Utah that’s ways way under ground, pumping the water back out, separating the lithium out, and reusing it.  You want to compare that to ocean oil rigs?  The spills there a horrendous. Oil rig spills are the biggest problem with ICE cars.  Even worse than the carbon problem at the tail pipe.  The issue with counting environmental damage is what gets factored in. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

In the us they get lithium by pumping water into a prehistoric dry lake bed in Utah that’s ways way under ground, pumping the water back out, separating the lithium out, and reusing it.  You want to compare that to ocean oil rigs?  The spills there a horrendous. Oil rig spills are the biggest problem with ICE cars.  Even worse than the carbon problem at the tail pipe.  The issue with counting environmental damage is what gets factored in. 

Theres not much Lithium production in the US tho. Mostly its imported.

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/us-lithium-ion-battery-imports-jump-as-china-seizes-market-share-63271388

Also according to this article Nevada is the only American place Lithium is mined.
https://cen.acs.org/energy/energy-storage-/Albemarle-double-US-lithium-output/99/web/2021/01

9 minutes ago, Niksa said:

I hate recipes which don't use whole eggs, but instead only white(s) only or yolk(s) are used.

Yes, unused parts can be used for other recipes, but I don't want to plan what to cook just to use remainder of eggs. It will happen more often than not that I will simply trash leftover egg parts.

Agreed, made worse by the fact that you 'can' but just the yolk of just the white. But thats only for large quantities for restaurants and stuff. WHY?!!!

Screenshot_86.png

Screenshot_87.png

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

4 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Those recipies are often French and older.  Some stuff simply cant be made with yolks because it plain doesn’t work. Like meringue. In soufflés you seperate out the yolks but use them later.  What they seem to be finding is that whites are innocuous cooked or not, and yolks are innocuous uncooked, but can have issues when cooked.  Whites are protein and yolks are fat. 

9 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Ah. Adjoining states.  My Utah information is old. Perhaps it’s currently is better to be in one state than the other because of taxes or regulations.one is a red state and the other is blue.   Mineral deposits don’t pay attention to state lines but laws do.  I was referencing more the mining method which was brine. Apparently they’re doing the same thing in Chile.  Still the same method though.  And apparently the lions share of the largest production system in the world is brine.  The only mention of the energy used to extract the stuff is coal in China, but apparently more than half is brine in Chile. It’s a question of which extraction is more environmentally dangerous, and you’re still comparing energy use with deep sea oil spills.  The info on deep sea oil spills is poor because the oil companies like it that way. The stuff does often float though so it can’t always be hidden.  It’s not a question of zero vs non zero.  Neither is zero, but of which does more damage.

49 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Those recipies are often French and older.  Some stuff simply cant be made with yolks because it plain doesn’t work. Like meringue. In soufflés you seperate out the yolks but use them later.  What they seem to be finding is that whites are innocuous cooked or not, and yolks are innocuous uncooked, but can have issues when cooked.  Whites are protein and yolks are fat. 

Yes, I am aware of the reasons, but they still don’t make me like those recipes. As for soufflés etc. when you separate yolks from whites but in the end all of the eggs are used, I am fine with that. 

Anyhow, if I see recipes that eggs are not fully used by the end of it, I will most likely never try to replicate those. 

25 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Yes, I am aware of the reasons, but they still don’t make me like those recipes. As for soufflés etc. when you separate yolks from whites but in the end all of the eggs are used, I am fine with that. 

Anyhow, if I see recipes that eggs are not fully used by the end of it, I will most likely never try to replicate those. 

Whites are very difficult to replicate, but yolks are for many purposes just fat globules and as such one may see additions of other kinds of oils instead.