Your unpopular (non-political, non-offensive) opinions!

pythonmegapixel
3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They did exist, just not where you lived, sorry your drivers ed didn't think you might never leave your home state. Maybe we need to have some federal standards for driver education since cars can cross state lines and people fly across the country then rent cars.

My driver's ed course did, in fact, talk about round-abouts, but since my area had none, I'm guessing 95% of the students forgot about it. But even if they set up a fake one in a parking lot and had students practice, it wouldn't matter. If a 16 year old learns it in driver's ed and then never uses it again, they will forget.

That's what happened to me with parallel parking - it was a huge part of the class, and a part of the state test. I got decent at it, easily passing the tests on it, but now I haven't had to actually do it in the real world for 15 years, so I'm not sure how well I'd handle it today.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They did exist, just not where you lived, sorry your drivers ed didn't think you might never leave your home state. Maybe we need to have some federal standards for driver education since cars can cross state lines and people fly across the country then rent cars.

It’s true.  Roundabouts are actually older than both diamonds and cloverleafs.  They were the new hotness when a lot of the US road system was being laid out in the 30’s though. A badly laid out and signed roundabout can be awful though.  A lot of it is figuring out what does and doesn’t work for roundabouts. It’s older tech finding new life.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

My driver's ed course did, in fact, talk about round-abouts,

Your assuming everyone takes drivers ed. Back in 2003 at least here in Michigan if you were 18 or older you just had to take the driving test. Thats what my friend did. I took drivers ed but I dont remember anything about roundabouts, we didnt have any around the area back then. 

7 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Also roundabouts is way less expensive.

To build maybe. But how much does it cost to call the Fire Department, Police Department and ambulance every time someone crashes and burns? Whats the cost in car repairs? The cost in insurance deductibles. I know from personal experience it can be a lot. My sister got hit in a roundabout and her cars frame was bent. All because the other person was a moron and didnt know how to navigate the damn thing. Speaking my sister has 3 of these fuckers in succession out by her. I usually take the route the goes around them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Your assuming everyone takes drivers ed. Back in 2003 at least here in Michigan if you were 18 or older you just had to take the driving test. Thats what my friend did. I took drivers ed but I dont remember anything about roundabouts, we didnt have any around the area back then.

I didn't assume that. The point of my post was to say that just because a driver's ed class includes something, that doesn't mean that the students will understand it.

And I'm actually from Michigan. As far as I know, to this day 18 year olds just need to complete the driving test at the SOS. I took driver's ed in 2007, and that was the rule then as well, at least.

I really dont get why people recommend the OS on the NVME drives.

Also how they claim "performance" when it's not much different, than using a sata SSD...

9 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

I really dont get why people recommend the OS on the NVME drives.

Also how they claim "performance" when it's not much different, than using a sata SSD...

Might be situational.  If the other drive is an HDD the SSD is a good place for it whether it’s nvme or sata.

As for the speed thing that a sometimes true sometimes not true thing. Most often true though.  A lot of SSDs can saturate sata6. It can only matter if the drive beats the max throughout of sata6 in the first place which doesn’t always happen.  Even then it may not matter functionally.  If a boot is 1 sec does booting in 0.75 seconds really change anything?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As for the speed thing that a sometimes true sometimes not true thing. Most often true though.  A lot of SSDs can saturate sata6. It can only matter if the drive beats the max throughout of sata6 in the first place which doesn’t always happen.  Even then it may not matter functionally.  If a boot is 1 sec does booting in 0.75 seconds really change anything?

If we are talking about games, then I guess it would be a lot more important in the upcoming future? But again as a OS, I only see the benefit being 0.1 - unchanged to - 0.3 seconds difference compared to sata SSD.

Also if the videos out there is any true, then you might just see 0.3 - 2 seconds off loading times.

Which I guess means it's going to be quicker for games and more demanding on the storage speeds?

Spoiler

Random video on loading speeds.

https://youtu.be/V3AMz-xZ2VM

also forgot other have done a video on it, like HU and maybe an older LTT video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COofLeqk_tM

Edited by Quackers101
added link

12 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

If we are talking about games, then I guess it would be a lot more important in the upcoming future? But again as a OS, I only see the benefit being 0.1 - unchanged to - 0.3 seconds difference compared to sata SSD.

Also if the videos out there is any true, then you might just see 0.3 - 2 seconds off loading times.

Which I guess means it's going to be quicker for games and more demanding on the storage speeds?

Hide contents

Random video on loading speeds.

https://youtu.be/V3AMz-xZ2VM

also forgot other have done a video on it, like HU and maybe an older LTT video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COofLeqk_tM

Human experience of time is a variable thing and the future remains unknown.

I don't know if this is a non-offensive opinion or not, but i loved the way windows 8.1 (and to a lesser degree windows 8) looked, and didn't like windows 7 with aero transparency at all. When windows 10 launched, it felt like a huge step back because people won't put in the effort to learn a new OS, but at least the aero acrylic effect in windows 10 is much, much better than the transparency in windows 7 and vista.

Heres another thing. Why the FUCK do they have to put caffeine in everything? I buy the AHA Sparkling water. It has a slight flavor + a fizz (I dont drink pop any more so this hits that spot). But they now how water infused with caffeine...... Why? I was at Walmart today and looking at some yogurt because I was bored. They know have yogurt with caffeine. WTF......... 

that is weird and could pose as a health risk and legal action.

While they might use it to make you addicted, a lot of products with it, is not good for the consumer and if you didn't expect that it was added.

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

that is weird and could pose as a health risk and legal action.

While they might use it to make you addicted, a lot of products with it, is not good for the consumer and if you didn't expect that it was added.

Dude we are talking the US. Its completely legal. They do mark the packages with "Caffeine" on the front label. So its not like they are hiding it. And most people in this country are addicted to caffeine. Hell most of my co workers drink energy drinks every day. I limit my self to 1 BAI every work day and thats about 45 to 55 mg of Caffeine and thats it. Just gives me the jump start I need. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Dude we are talking the US. Its completely legal. They do mark the packages with "Caffeine" on the front label. So its not like they are hiding it. And most people in this country are addicted to caffeine. Hell most of my co workers drink energy drinks every day. I limit my self to 1 BAI every work day and thats about 45 to 55 mg of Caffeine and thats it. Just gives me the jump start I need. 

Was mostly talking about it, if they were hiding it (FDA complaints?). As I have not seen those products, and don't really get that they have such products.

But it can be a health concern, if it becomes too prevalent, like sugar or corn syrup. But yeah, it's the US were they use a lot of content that is banned in the EU, for better or for worse. *gets a big can of spam*

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

Was mostly talking about it, if they were hiding it (FDA complaints?). As I have not seen those products, and don't really get that they have such products.

But it can be a health concern, if it becomes too prevalent, like sugar or corn syrup. But yeah, it's the US were they use a lot of content that is banned in the EU, for better or for worse. *gets a big can of spam*

The fact is those who have a caffeine restriction probably look for that on the label. My niece has a nut allergy, so we always look for that type of stuff on the ingredients label. Im lactose intolerant, while I do eat dairy products, Im very careful on the ones I eat and how much. I do look at labels to see if the item contains diary. 

Hell Caffeine being a health concern, look at the box of pop tarts, like 72 grams of sugar per serving. Or hell look at the sodium content in a lot of the prepackaged foods. Im convinced that most food in the US is designed to give us some medial issue so we have to give the medical industry tons of money. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Heres another thing. Why the FUCK do they have to put caffeine in everything? I buy the AHA Sparkling water. It has a slight flavor + a fizz (I dont drink pop any more so this hits that spot). But they now how water infused with caffeine...... Why? I was at Walmart today and looking at some yogurt because I was bored. They know have yogurt with caffeine. WTF......... 

Caffeine is the new tobacco. Don't worry, it's harmless. Actually, it's good for you. Yeah...

3 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

But yeah, it's the US were they use a lot of content that is banned in the EU, for better or for worse. *gets a big can of spam*

some stuff is banned/allowed to use only because of economical reasons or unfair competition (if you want to call it like that), lobbying

like the miracle fruit that was banned in several states, including the us and ue, because whoever had managed to press it down in pills, didn't sold it to major sugar industries, and since they didn't want competition, they managed to steal the recipe, and made it ban to the fda/ue alternative

or eggs, both us and ue have different conservation methods, either methods do work the same, but between the two "states", the opposite method is not considered safe, and by so eggs can't be traded

38 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

or eggs, both us and ue have different conservation methods, either methods do work the same, but between the two "states", the opposite method is not considered safe, and by so eggs can't be traded

I heard its because eggs have a protective film on them as the birds pop them out. Here in the US the food industry washes it off. Due to that we have to refrigerate our eggs, while in the EU you dont. 

15 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I heard its because eggs have a protective film on them as the birds pop them out. Here in the US the food industry washes it off. Due to that we have to refrigerate our eggs, while in the EU you dont. 

eu pollams are required to be vaccinated,

while us aren't, us does use to wash the eggs and treat them with temperature

both methods are equally valid, but I do suppose that's for trade restrictions, that one "state" does consider the other method not equally valid

34 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

There’s some video or other on this.  It’s a debate about the best way to prevent salmonella.  Both seem to work.  The washing thing is more convenient in some ways and less in others.  It extends shelf life which lowers costs but makes end-to-end refrigeration a requirement which raises them.    Probably has a lot to do with various fixed and variable costs at various points in the supply chain.  Traditionally electricity is cheaper in the US than Europe, and reefer trucks are more common.  Might be enough to shift the math.

There's nothing wrong about plastic straws.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Other than they clog up land fills. Plastic in my opinion should be banned. Its hard to recycle it and its just creating a problem down the road. Plus isn't it made from OIL? 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Other than they clog up land fills. Plastic in my opinion should be banned. Its hard to recycle it and its just creating a problem down the road. Plus isn't it made from OIL? 

um, think of all the things made with plastic. it would be hard if not impossible to ban it. plus, it wouldn't be worth it with all the things being made with plastic because companies would have to find something else and it would probably raise the price of their products. 

I agree tho that less things should be made with plastic, but banning it, no. Gradually moving toward other materials, yes. 

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

4 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Tell that to the sea turtle who got one stuck up his nose and nearly starved to death.  Or the people who tried to save him.  Might have a plastic straw sticking out of something embarrassing.  Paper straws collapse though.  I remember that one from grade school.  How many sucks do you get out of a paper straw? Not enough to empty a kiddie milk carton most of the time.  Perhaps some engineering needs to go into that one.  If paper straws didn’t collapse they be just better.  It can probably be done.

1 minute ago, King of Memes said:

um, think of all the things made with plastic. it would be hard if not impossible to ban it. plus, it wouldn't be worth it with all the things being made with plastic. 

Im talking mostly food products. Glass and aluminum can be used for food products. As both of those are easier to recycle. We just keep kicking the garbage can down the road. What do you propose we do with all the wasted plastic?