be quiet! Might Be Able To Sell Their New AIO In The US

nick name

Summary

As many of y'all might know Asetek has a strangle-hold on the US AIO market with their pump on block patent and that's kept be quiet!'s AIO offerings out of the market in the past.  And while there are more AIOs out now that seem to avoid infringing on that patent -- the more the merrier.  Especially, from a well-respected player. 

On top of being another option -- be quiet! seems to be adding more value beyond what is currently available.   

Quotes

be quiet! is equipping the Pure Loops with CPU blocks that come with nickel plating, a 27 mm thick radiator, and white LED lighting on the block. Even though most AIO's last long enough nowadays to not warrant early replacement, be quiet! built a refill port into the Pure Loops and ships it with a small bottle of coolant, so that you can refill it or top it off after running for 5 years to get a bit more life out of it, rather than retiring it to the landfill. 

The Pure Loop will come in 120mm, 240mm, 280mm, and 360mm variants, with pricing ranging from $85 to $120.

My thoughts

Look at that pricing!  Getting a clean looking 360mm for around $120 these days usually means you're choosing from one or two options, but also getting something that you don't have to throw away when empty?  I can't think of any at this price point.  At least not that can be refilled easily and without having to buy anything extra.  

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/be-quiet-teases-new-aio-with-doubledecoupled-pump

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

how do you patent where something is placed ... can i patent putting my computer to the left of my desk and sue anyone who places it there

No you cannot because I got it first! :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No you cannot because I got it first! :P

darn

I was wondering how come AiO's disappeared from BeQuiet webpage all of a sudden. And they still don't list any AiO's on it. Out of all, this design actually makes the most sense. And because pump is located on the pipes which act like vibration dampeners, the pump noise should not transfer to system chassis in any way. Which is actually a neat perk. it also doesn't add up to the radiator bulk like most other AiO's that tried to bypass Asetek patents. Clever Germans always find a way :P

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

how do you patent where something is placed ... can i patent putting my computer to the left of my desk and sue anyone who places it there

Bro, if people wanna come in and put their computers on my desk I'm just gonna let them and collect computers.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Uh excuse me sir i think you missed the more important news....

be quiet! also informed us that it is coming out with a white version of the Shadow Rock 3 cooler, and it is updating the Silent Base 801 to the 802, which will come with extra front and top mesh covers so that you can pick between silence or performance.

The Pure Loop and white Shadow Rock 3 will be available in October, with the updated Silent Base chassis landing towards the end of November.

eTHtKzRzoH9aoyCgLxZSYa-1920-80.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Uh excuse me sir i think you missed the more important news....

eTHtKzRzoH9aoyCgLxZSYa-1920-80.jpg

Maaaaan, I use a Thermaltake Core P3.  Nobody puts baby in a box.  

10 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I loved the much cleaner look of the older model:

2016-12-22-product-2.jpg

Full copper AIO, powerful pump also. If only the tubing had a sleeve on it, would be perfect.

Yeah, the new cold plate is nickel plated from what I read and that likely means aluminum components.  And the new hoses have a pump mounted on them, but they don't have that weird coiled ring around the hoses the old ones had.  I know the previous hose material they used called for it and I could look it up, but I that means watching videos and that would take work.

But overall the one is still a clean looking radiator and fans.    

On 9/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, spartaman64 said:

I mean, apple patented rounded corners on a rectangle.. then sued samsung for using the idea and won... so yea.

If they have a 360mm aio for $120 I’ll buy it the day it’s available. Take my money 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

7 hours ago, AlwaysWong said:

Rgb? 

I don’t care if it’s rgb or flat black. I’ll swap fans if I need to for that price 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 9/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, spartaman64 said:

It’s a really common thing.  There was an example of porche’s 928 engine cut in half and used for the 944, which was done with large balancing weights.  It had be previously believed that a four cylinder engine had to be designed as a four cylinder engine and would use different parts.  Chrysler neatly avoided their patent by placing the weights in the crank case rather than the engine block. It was actually better and cheaper to build to boot

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I really wish Asetek's patent on AIO pump placement would die a fiery death, sooner rather than later. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

On 9/7/2020 at 12:14 AM, Orangeator said:

I really wish Asetek's patent on AIO pump placement would die a fiery death, sooner rather than later. 

I'd imagine a larger market would lead to that, but liquid coolers are not as ubiquitous as something like a car.  And the current Asetek patent feels like patenting a car with its engine mounted in the front.  

34 minutes ago, nick name said:

I'd imagine a larger market would lead to that, but liquid coolers are not as ubiquitous as something like a car.  And the current Asetek patent feels like patenting a car with its engine mounted in the front.  

That actually was patented for a while.  Ran out a very long time ago.  Those types of patents are referred to as basic patents.  They’re considered more valuable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That actually was patented for a while.  Ran out a very long time ago.  Those types of patents are referred to as basic patents.  They’re considered more valuable.

Look at @Bombastinator teaching me something.  I didn't know that.  Thank you, sir.  

I wasn't aware Asetek had a 'strangle-hold on the US AIO market.'  There's several companies selling AIO units like Corsair, CoolerMaster, and NZXT.  Am I missing something?

43 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

I wasn't aware Asetek had a 'strangle-hold on the US AIO market.'  There's several companies selling AIO units like Corsair, CoolerMaster, and NZXT.  Am I missing something?

AFAIK the way it works is Asetek holds a patent on attaching a pump to the top of a cooler.  Currently you can pay for the privilege, as many companies have, put your pump inside the radiator instead in the exact center where the fan motor covers up the cooling anyway, as a few other companies have, or you can only sell coolers where that patent is not enforceable, which yet a few other companies have.  Someone may think about another end run around the patent or the patent may run out.  The thing has been around for awhile.  It’s got some sort of time limit.

An example of famous historical basic patents

Spoiler

In the 19th century there were two punters who’s last business attempt was a failed shirt manufacturing operation.  They bought the design and patents for a rather lousy revolver from an inventor and made a deal with him where they would pay him a generous royalty if he would pay to defend one of the patents of his design (the only part they actually wanted which was a rather absurd claim of drilling out a cylinder  of a revolver all the way through to accept a cartridge.  The inventor wound up making nothing as all of they royalties were spent defending the patent, but the failed shirt manufacturers as a result had a lock on all cartridge firing revolvers in the United States.  Their names were “Smith” and “Wesson”.  You may have heard of them.

a pointless thought on how the Asetek patent might be gotten around

Spoiler

My first thought on end running the asetek patent would be to note that there’s a good 140mm or more to play with I. Even slim cases. Put the pump on to of a pair of short stiff hoses (pipes) and surround it with a downdraft fan for the VRM.  The short hoses would make the thing annoyingly tall, but could make it no longer part of the cold plate system.  Unless that is already been thought of and asetek has a patent on that too.  That’s the way this sort of thing generally works.  There isn’t one patent but a hundred or two that sort of surround the one patent that actually gets built.

42 minutes ago, Quinnell said:

Many of those companies use an Asetek AIO with their own branding and customizations.