LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

So, final config for the night:

MSI gaming X trio 2080Ti

180W, 30% fan speed (800/1000 rpm), ~75 °C

Boosting to 1.5-1.6Ghz. ~3.4M PPD (compared to 4M at full tilt)

I don't have a real meter, but according to a shitty smartphone app it's ~29dB at the pillow, which is 1,5-2 meters from the tower. Seems most of that is actually coming from the idling cpu AIO, but it's also a bargain Termaltake unit and the fans refuse to go any slower

Looks like I'll be gunning for top100 again

All, some bad news and some amazing news.

Bad: Perfect storm of my 2080ti I had mentioned before sold on ebay to my shock, so I made some bucks on that...my 24/7 folder and 2 year old ROG strix randomly started failing all WU's and artifacting like crazy, games crashing left and right.   Its on the RMA wagon now, so wont see it for some time.

And those were my two folding units...

HOWEVER, Good:...

I havent been able to put something together in the meantime as on Monday we got news that wife had a minor pregnancy complication that required an induction.  After a long induction and labor, and post delivery hospital stay, mom and baby zberg are home and healthy, and we are over the moon about our happy healthy little baby girl (our first kid).

It has been a shitstorm of all that, trying to keep baby from crying all night (might need one of @GOTSpectrum 's famous cocktails?), taking care of mom while we both take care of baby, and having lots of traffic through the house with inlaws.

All that to say, I will put together a folding rig as soon as I can buy a graphics card (hilariously I got a spare minute to stop by bestbuy on a shopping run, grabbed the best they had , a 5700XT, and it has done nothing but blue / black screen and no DDU/driver update fix has worked so...good job AMD...).  Might just be waiting on my RMA and the 3080/90 availability.  I may be missing most of folding month.  

But I will be back at some point friends.  Fold on! (Also I wore my LTT folding shirt to the hospital while she was being induced, so sending good vibes)

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 hours ago, biohazard911 said:

Do as I say and not as I do kids....NEVER clean your system while its running (even if you are folding and didn't want to drop and PPD). 

I've never had a problem. Hot swapping stuff directly from the motherboard is more of a pain than cleaning out the system.

As to your situation, I do like Themraltake cases, never trusted their PSUs or cooling as I always saw them as a case company. Plus I've had a few of their fans either break, die or sound off balanced, including the 200mm fan that is still running on my computer which has been like that from nearly the day I bought it.

2 hours ago, Zberg said:

Bad: Perfect storm of my 2080ti I had mentioned before sold on ebay to my shock, so I made some bucks on that...my 24/7 folder and 2 year old ROG strix randomly started failing all WU's and artifacting like crazy, games crashing left and right.   Its on the RMA wagon now, so wont see it for some time.

I havent been able to put something together in the meantime as on Monday we got news that wife had a minor pregnancy complication that required an induction.  After a long induction and labor, and post delivery hospital stay, mom and baby zberg are home and healthy, and we are over the moon about our happy healthy little baby girl (our first kid).

It has been a shitstorm of all that, trying to keep baby from crying all night (might need one of @GOTSpectrum 's famous cocktails?), taking care of mom while we both take care of baby, and having lots of traffic through the house with inlaws.

All that to say, I will put together a folding rig as soon as I can buy a graphics card (hilariously I got a spare minute to stop by bestbuy on a shopping run, grabbed the best they had , a 5700XT, and it has done nothing but blue / black screen and no DDU/driver update fix has worked so...good job AMD...).  Might just be waiting on my RMA and the 3080/90 availability.  I may be missing most of folding month.  

But I will be back at some point friends.  Fold on! (Also I wore my LTT folding shirt to the hospital while she was being induced, so sending good vibes)

Congrats @Zberg I hope your baby has both claws fully intact.  we will miss you. after doing some seaching looks like i found the famly photo ;)

Spoiler

1109787275_zbergfamily.thumb.jpg.f1ca2ae28e132d4ec0aa2c73353e7bb2.jpg

weird have had no issued with my xfx 5700xt but could be just needs a fresh install...as it did act weird on an install that had the nvidia drivers ever loaded.  

on another note squeezed extra performance out of my 2060 RTX systems but my 5700xt dont want to give any extra :( but i should in theory be on ~6m avg just on my listed systems.

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

5 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

I’d just like to say that the 1070Ti overheat special is finally being got rid of. Good riddance you absolute piece of shit

2A6EBF9D-3D0A-463A-915B-630FD4FD6EBF.jpeg

some people like @Zberg would love a peice of shit like that lol...

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

37 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

I’d just like to say that the 1070Ti overheat special is finally being got rid of. Good riddance you absolute piece of shit

I have a 1080ti and 1060 that are slated to be pulled from my rigs for the same reason.. HOT and power hungry.

Dear Nvidia... Please stop pretending you don't have cards and sell me some 30 series so I can replace these.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

Data download successful, validation in progress 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, Zberg said:

Awesome!!  Congrats!  The mess will be real, the sleep will…maybe in a few months...

Seriously, when kid sleeps, you both should too.  Also, no matter what older generations say.  Sleep begets sleep.  If they're overtired, they won't sleep as well, or as long, and it spirals badly.  Put to sleep and wake to feed on a regular schedule, even if it seems impossible, and it'll help you out…honest.  Ours just hit 1yr.  Feel free to msg if you wonder about anything. :)

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

Awesome!!  Congrats!  The mess will be real, the sleep will…maybe in a few months...

Seriously, when kid sleeps, you both should too.  Also, no matter what older generations say.  Sleep begets sleep.  If they're overtired, they won't sleep as well, or as long, and it spirals badly.  Put to sleep and wake to feed on a regular schedule, even if it seems impossible, and it'll help you out…honest.  Ours just hit 1yr.  Feel free to msg if you wonder about anything. :)

appreciate the info and support!

1 hour ago, cbigfoot said:

Congrats @Zberg I hope your baby has both claws fully intact.  we will miss you. after doing some seaching looks like i found the famly photo ;)

Hide contents

1109787275_zbergfamily.thumb.jpg.f1ca2ae28e132d4ec0aa2c73353e7bb2.jpg

weird have had no issued with my xfx 5700xt but could be just needs a fresh install...as it did act weird on an install that had the nvidia drivers ever loaded.  

on another note squeezed extra performance out of my 2060 RTX systems but my 5700xt dont want to give any extra :( but i should in theory be on ~6m avg just on my listed systems.

spot f'n on bigfoot!

1 minute ago, Zberg said:

spot f'n on bigfoot!

Some advice from me personally, appreciate every second you have with your little one, because, if god forbid, you lose them you will regret every time you moaned about holding them in the middle of the night, or when you passed on feeding them that time because you're tired. Trust me, babies are the most fatiguing, stress inducing creatures there are, but losing them and having regrets is so much worse. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

advice from an irresponsible uncle:

if baby refuses to sleep, mix one shot of Jameson into the feed and enjoy peace and quiet until the wee lad comes around. Repeat as required to put hairs on baby’s chest and build character

On a less absurd note it used to be fairly  common to coat your finger in hard liquor and rub it on a babies gums when they're teething and struggling with the pain

3 hours ago, cbigfoot said:

but my 5700xt dont want to give any extra :( 

Out of curiosity what have you tried?I tried to OC mine back in April but all I accomplished was overheating the water causing thermal throttling w/o much gains before it doing so lol... The 5700XT imo is at its thermal/point max unless you have a really beefy cooling setup.

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

if baby refuses to sleep

Find someone who naturally runs warm and pass the kid to them, should knock them right out.

1 hour ago, Arrogath said:

On a less absurd note it used to be fairly  common to coat your finger in hard liquor and rub it on a babies gums when they're teething and struggling with the pain

You also quickly find out how sensitive a kid is to alcohol based on how fast the kid becomes intoxicated (if at all) after doing so.

7 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Out of curiosity what have you tried?I tried to OC mine back in April but all I accomplished was overheating the water causing thermal throttling w/o much gains before it doing so lol... The 5700XT imo is at its thermal/point max unless you have a really beefy cooling setup.

Find someone who naturally runs warm and pass the kid to them, should knock them right out.

You also quickly find out how sensitive a kid is to alcohol based on how fast the kid becomes intoxicated (if at all) after doing so.

oc over 50 MHZ results in WU Failure and and memory  +200 or higherresults in WU Failure...I did increase powelimits15% and it seems to have found a happy medium...but using xfx air cooler its ome of thebefierones so keeping temps in check roomtemps in the 60s help too...

im avging 1.8M-2m on each 2060 still slowly ramping up clocks memory is +300 GPU is +50 on MSI any higher and it starts failing, KO is +100 and seems happy. 

Honorable Mentions:

image.png.99ae39afcd05b9b007c3c9cc0629b636.png

Obscure Mammal & Yabiostar 👀 one of yall mind moving so i can get 30th back please?

Scarfy

TVwazhere

Stormtrooper_007

biohazard911 (Will he catch me?)

Honorable Mentions:

Blog post, get your blog post here. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

As typing below both computers are clearly going to cause another power outage near to where I live, both just had their respective UPS's kick on lol... According to my trusty Belkin watt reader and the new fancy BRG1500AVRLCD I got off of Amazon I'm consuming only 700 watts (not zen CPU turned it off), yet I joke about causing power outages.

oc over 50 MHZ results in WU Failure and and memory  +200 or higherresults in WU Failure...I did increase powelimits15% and it seems to have found a happy medium...but using xfx air cooler its ome of thebefierones so keeping temps in check roomtemps in the 60s help too...

So after some Egosurfing it turns out I might not of OC'd my 5700xt... Even tho I remember trying :| It's possible I did but never posted the results. I bought a reference based open boxed card for the purpose of water cooling it, as mentioned somewhere here (found it in my surfing) I water cooled the stuff to reduce noise not temps. I don't recall any failed WUs OCing anything. Also where I am is nice and warm, should move one to my bedroom 🤣

But here are my Ryzen results from back in April, my system clearly couldn't handle it, and I do remember the cpu causing the gpu to increase in heat too, which I didn't show sadly.

image.png

10 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

As typing below both computers are clearly going to cause another power outage near to where I live, both just had their respective UPS's kick on lol... According to my trusty Belkin watt reader and the new fancy BRG1500AVRLCD I got off of Amazon I'm consuming only 700 watts (not zen CPU turned it off), yet I joke about causing power outages.

So after some Egosurfing it turns out I might not of OC'd my 5700xt... Even tho I remember trying :| It's possible I did but never posted the results. I bought a reference based open boxed card for the purpose of water cooling it, as mentioned somewhere here (found it in my surfing) I water cooled the stuff to reduce noise not temps. I don't recall any failed WUs OCing anything. Also where I am is nice and warm, should move one to my bedroom 🤣

But here are my Ryzen results from back in April, my system clearly couldn't handle it, and I do remember the cpu causing the gpu to increase in heat too, which I didn't show sadly.

Spoiler

image.png

Yeah im not ocing the CPU for F@H  did for Boinc but that is b/c it needed it to push it as this is mostly a GPU task just pushing GPUs

Honorable Mentions:

Yeah im not ocing the CPU for F@H  did for Boinc but that is b/c it needed it to push it as this is mostly a GPU task just pushing GPUs

That's why I find it odd I "only" OC'd it and not doing the GPU as well, I'm sure I must have. It was the first time I really booted the system up after running a out of box test and a 2/3 day leak test, so it was also a test to see how it can handle high clock speeds under load before throttling.

For BOINC I don't think I would even try OCing for it, 3.9 is good enough, esp since the i5 is only boosting to 4.1 and the Ryzen has 8 cores vs the 4.

5 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I've never had a problem. Hot swapping stuff directly from the motherboard is more of a pain than cleaning out the system.

As to your situation, I do like Themraltake cases, never trusted their PSUs or cooling as I always saw them as a case company. Plus I've had a few of their fans either break, die or sound off balanced, including the 200mm fan that is still running on my computer which has been like that from nearly the day I bought it.

Never say Never, I did 🤣. However yes I agree about their cases, just did a build in the new S100 and it was very easy going, build quality was good and it was great to work in (ended up going with a corsair kit for the fans). For this system I got a really good deal on the AIO (360mm rad for $130 Complete with RGB-PWM fans and controller) and the old school riing single color fans have been fine. My goal when I did the original build around April of last year, was to spend the maximum amount of money on the core components and switch out the fans later on . As this is the first fan to die since then with 24/7 operation I'm going to hold off a little longer before spending the money on new fans and cooling solution. Likely going to do a custom loop as the Core X71 case I went with has PLENTY of room for it, Just want to move my Plex drives to an external NAS first. 

2 hours ago, cbigfoot said:

image.png.99ae39afcd05b9b007c3c9cc0629b636.png

Obscure Mammal & Yabiostar 👀 one of yall mind moving so i can get 30th back please?

Scarfy

TVwazhere

Stormtrooper_007

biohazard911 (Will he catch me?)

Looks like the incident with my AIO kept me from catching up today.....yeah that's it.....the fan caused me to fall behind!!! 🤣

Personally I blame Thermaltake 😁

image.thumb.png.3e9019356c2c5b88596627a74a3d16f6.png

Looks like a new CPU core is out in the wild havent seen A8 Before

Honorable Mentions:

On 10/15/2020 at 1:51 PM, Collin_S said:

He did say that he might be getting a USED ThreadRipper System. I don't know for sure, but if that ends up being cheaper, I would say he should definitely go with that. Depending on how crazy he gets with the number of GPU's he may eventually end up wanting to put in it. The 24 core ThreadRipper system would likely be easier to add more GPU's to early on, and would have potential to have a ton more with all the bifricatioin stuff. The only potential disadvantage I see would be the somewhat higher power draw, and I don't really know how important single threaded performance is. Even leaving off 10 whole cores for helping manage the GPU WU's, that leaves 14 cores, 28 threads, and that can do a pretty good amount of folding.

another nice thing wit tr IS PCI lanes so many

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Though unimportant, something I'm somewhat unclear about is wether or not there is LTT prizes this year.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2