LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

39 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

No.

Ah ok; I asked because you mentioned you were waiting until the 29th, which is the exact day that the 3070 is set to become available.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

27 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

asked because you mentioned you were waiting until the 29th,

Ok I see.

I ordered it a couple of weeks ago, I'm hoping that it may come earlier, I saw the same listing saying the 23rd after my order, I will be happy if it comes at all.

I was considering buying a 3070 when it had its original release date, but now I'm not sure it's worth it, I wouldn't get it until a couple of weeks before the end of the event, at best.

I dropped this on the blog, but many may not have seen it, so I'm going to also paste it here for the maths.

Be wary of the higher minimum participation requirements this year.

Minimum Participation Requirements For Prizes

20 Days with activity*, 500,000 Points & 40 WU

(*activity is defined as completing at least 1WU for the 24 hour period)

So, some quick math for folks.

If you're only active for 20 days out of the 45'ish available for the event, you need to do 25k points in those 20 days.

If you're active for 40 days of the event, you need to do 12.5k points per day in those 40 days.

If you're active for all 45 days of the event, you only need to do about 11k per day.

To put that in perspective…the lame old dell i5 2 core laptop is putting out 12.5k points per day.

So, even lame CPU only folding on a single crap machine should be able to hit the mark, generally getting a few WU done each day with a couple longer ones that take a day.

I'm actually a CPU only folder on various old hardware, so I'm happy for this and feel the PPD/activity requirement works quite well here.  That being said, to hit the top 200 like I could flirt with in prior years, this year…I'd have to quadruple my output from the 5 systems I run f@h on…which I don't see happening.  So, I'll just be in the background crunching the WU's that your GPUs won't ever get while you all get the glory.

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

So, even lame CPU only folding on a single crap machine should be able to hit the mark

This isn't the case. I have an old HP computer I was planning to turn into a space heater for this event. It's old, so I don't care if it's run hard and something happens to it. The core 2 CPU in it only folds are about 3K points per day. Even if I let it run 24x7 for the whole event I wouldn't make the required points limit. Money is tight, but I thought I'd try and put a bit into this old machine to see if I could make it work, so I bought a Q9550 and a low profile RX 550 for it.

I'm expecting my PPD to jump by at least 10M soon. Just waiting on a pre order...

Current Build

47 minutes ago, Intrinsic said:

This isn't the case. I have an old HP computer I was planning to turn into a space heater for this event. It's old, so I don't care if it's run hard and something happens to it. The core 2 CPU in it only folds are about 3K points per day. Even if I let it run 24x7 for the whole event I wouldn't make the required points limit. Money is tight, but I thought I'd try and put a bit into this old machine to see if I could make it work, so I bought a Q9550 and a low profile RX 550 for it.

Makes sense for a Core 2 Duo.  This laptop is an early 2 core i5.  My old 2009 Xeon system is running about 5k PPD per core and the 2006 Mac Pro Xeon system is just under that per core as well.

Does anyone know how to get the CUDA engine to show back up under the GPU on task manager in Windows? When I built my PC back in June, I was able to select the CUDA  engine (there were also a few more options)  as a  graph under the GPU graphs in task manger. Then one day they just disappeared and now I have far less options. And now that F@H has been updated to support CUDA the GPU utilization just stays at 0% while folding. 

I'm running a 2070 Super and have all the current drivers and Windows updates. 

screenshot.1593856470.jpg

screenshot.1602571024.jpg

Folding Stats

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x,  GPU- NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super , Case- Corsair 680X , RAM -Corsair Vengeance RGB (x2) 16GB 3200MHz

AIO- Corsair H115i Platinum RGB Cooler,  PSU-Corsair HX750i  , MOBO- MSI X570 MEG Unify  , And (x6) Corsair LL120 fans

Corsair K95 Platinum Keyboard, Logitech G700s mouse , Samsung Curved 65" 4K TV & (x2) 32" curved Samsung Monitors (currently sitting in their boxes as I've got nowhere to put them)

FAQ: 

1. Yes, I've got the 'beetus

2. No, I'm not fat. It's Type 1, not Type 2

3. Yes, I can in fact eat sugar and not die. That's what Insulin is for. 

29 minutes ago, MISTERDIEABETIC said:

Does anyone know how to get the CUDA engine to show back up under the GPU on task manager in Windows? When I built my PC back in June, I was able to select the CUDA  engine (there were also a few more options)  as a  graph under the GPU graphs in task manger. Then one day they just disappeared and now I have far less options. And now that F@H has been updated to support CUDA the GPU utilization just stays at 0% while folding. 

I'm running a 2070 Super and have all the current drivers and Windows updates. 

This has come up before. I can't remember if it was in this thread or on the community broad but no one could find an answer to why some people lost the option to display cuda.

I do push my GPU's hard. Here's a prime example, almost competing with my 2080 super.

Screenshot_29.png.e6892c2a8ab0092ef1f054d7dd8a13e7.png

Current Build

5 hours ago, justpoet said:

so I'm happy for this and feel the PPD/activity requirement works quite well here

That's the point of the minimum requirements, it means you still have to work for it but it also allows almost everyone to have a chance at prizes. :) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

How’s your 2080Ti PPD atm?

the right word is probably disappointing.

hovering right around 3.8/4M. nowhere close to what you're pulling off.

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

the right word is probably disappointing.

hovering right around 3.8/4M. nowhere close to what you're pulling off.

Just remember, it's for science. All folds are good folds. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Just remember, it's for science. All folds are good folds. 

but everyone knows more folds = more better!

31 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

I do push my GPU's hard. Here's a prime example, almost competing with my 2080 super.

Screenshot_29.png.e6892c2a8ab0092ef1f054d7dd8a13e7.png

It's doing well for a 2060, gets the same as my mini 2070, but my 2080 super is getting over 50% more points than that.

You should be getting over 3 mil ppd with a 2080 super, mine at 80% pl does around 3.4 mil.

Just now, johnjg75 said:

I just started folding 3 days ago and just now saw this.. is there anyway to still apply? :(

Unfortunately not my friend, but please feel free to follow either the Folding community Board or myself to know when future events are starting. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 hours ago, yaboistar said:

i run +500 at the minute for 12ghz, set "force p2 state in compute" to off with nvidia profile inspector

Gave the 1080ti +500mhz mem core at lunch. Unsure if it's helped much, and really wont since I have no real tests of the 1080ti without it to base it off so I'm just trusting you on this one. Got 4.5M points though since I started the 1080ti late (I always forget about time zones!)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

so does this mean Nvidia finally caught on and nerfed your card?

The real reason for 3080 delays.   They have to kill all the 2080Tis that are just as good ;)

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

So how are we all getting on, it is still surprisingly cold here to say I'm folding as much as I am. I'm happy though, higher boost clocks are always nice

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

So how are we all getting on, it is still surprisingly cold here to say I'm folding as much as I am. I'm happy though, higher boost clocks are always nice

It's supposed to warm up here in the next few days... not looking forward to that.

Sunshine.thumb.jpg.8111f817a8da33b1f85153c17d25af09.jpg

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database.