LTT Official Folding Month 2020!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Luckily when I said it was almost done, I really meant it. 

For the last time in 2020, ladles and gentlespoons, here a blog post.

And with that said, it's a wrap! Thank you for everyone getting involved, if you'd like to continue talking about folding why not head over to The Folding Community Board

I did find that disabling SMT on my Ryzen did push the PPD on one of my 2060's by another 100K.. did also disable CPU folding.

Current Build

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

very easy. one program, one setting, one restart

Yes, but I'm exceptionally lazy.

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

5 minutes ago, LazyDev said:

I did find that disabling SMT on my Ryzen did push the PPD on one of my 2060's by another 100K.. did also disable CPU folding.

How many threads were you using while folding on your CPU?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

9 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

I just had to do that on my other system. I just pause F@H 1st before I do the update you don't have to wait for the WU to finish.

But that will lose out on some of the points on the WU, I can't have that happen! (my GPU WU is finished in about 15 minutes, so I justified finishing it that way, lol)

5 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

good to have you with us

I can't fold all-year round, but happy to join the events going on ^^

(plus my output vs. last year's event will be quite a bit higher, because of an upgraded GPU, so I'm curious to analyze that data, lol)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

even with zen it doesn't matter, tested it on my own machine with even just 8 threads out of 24 running i got a PPD drop of more than what CPU folding was adding back

In that case I'll be stopping the CPU folding that I just started up if it's going to have the reverse effect than I was after.

26 minutes ago, marknd59 said:

I just had to do that on my other system. I just pause F@H 1st before I do the update you don't have to wait for the WU to finish.

But that loses points! :D

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

39 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

if you haven't done so already, assuming it's a NoVideo card, give it a memory OC and disable Force P2 using nvidia profile inspector. it'll help the PPD out a bit

It's Novideo indeed, a 2070 Super.

Just did your recommendations, downloaded that program to disable Force P2 and I also bumped up my memory clock (never done that before, so I just had to kinda check if I was doing it right :P)

The default memory clock was 7000Mhz, I bumped it up to +700Mhz. Tried above that and the screen would turn off and on, so I thought for now that should be fine. It's stable (didn't crash) during a run of 3DMark TimeSpy.

Whereas usually I get ~1.9M PPD on this card (of course it actually fluctuates, between 1.7M and 2.2M I would say). Currently it's folding away on a WU with an estimated 2.4M PPD. Looks good :D

Will check average score over the next two days and compare it with the last two soon.

By the way, two maybe simple questions:

1. I am running CPU folding on 6 (of my 16) threads. I did this because I remember during the COVID events my GPU would idle and with the CPU slot I would at least retain the QRB. Is that still recommended or should I just not bother with the CPU?

2. I saw my videocard was still on BETA WU's (also because lack of WU's in the past). Is this recommended or not?

Unrelated note: I am so glad I rediscovered Minecraft now; a game I can easily play while GPU folding :D

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

1.) CPU folding on nvidia cards kills your PPD more than it contributes to it which is a shame but that's just how it is, i suggest you let your CPU slot finish and then kill it off

2.) i'm using the standard WU pool and some people who have been using the beta pool are switching back to the standard pool because some low-yield units have started to show up in it

Will finish the CPU WU and remove the slot, I think I will also switch to the normal pool again, I would rather be folding on the main units needed now I think :P

Thank you for your guidance!

Once I get the chance, I think I will try bumping up the memory frequency a bit, which might improve PPD a bit more.

9 hours ago, GrockleTD said:

@yaboistar  and anybody else with a 1080Ti, what sort of memory clocks are you running?

I've set both of mine to what Yaboistar told someone else earlier in this thread and haven't had any problems so far

+500 - 80% power - force p2 state off

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

maybe @TVwazhere or @Spotty can pin it if it's deemed worthy

There's already way too many pinned posts in this subforum. There's not that many new posts made in F@H, Boinc and Mining so it should stay on the first page for a while without needing to be pinned.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The little 1080Ti that could.

image.png.5595bc4ef4acbb222436772db2477d9d.png

image.png.52e3c73d7059ba817f5e48d8e616fbe1.png

CHOOO CHOOOOO

Over 3M PPD estimated on this WU. More of these please.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, yaboistar said:

ok i've started a draft of a guide on it and i'll take another look when i'm off work. lunch is over and i must tend to the great machines lest they fall over and i get bollocked

Drop me a PM when you're free, I'd be interested in working with you on something along these lines

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

we've still got the rest of the guide overhaul to write at some point, it's sitting in my bookmarks still

I forgot it was YOU that was meant to be helping with that! You are correct, it will get finished... someday...

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, yaboistar said:

it's a real shame because part of the reason i got my 3900x was so i could throw 24 threads at this and hope it wouldn't interfere too much. alas, no. still, it's useful for video rendering etc.

You could always throw those threads at WCG... I realise you'll still lose some PPD, but you'll at least be helping two research platforms.

2 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

or i could not add any more heat to my room that i have to sleep in because that extra roughly 1kw of heat means i have to keep two windows wide open just to sleep

That works too...

31 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

you thought it was someone else who was writing the new folding guide

BUT IT WAS ME, DIO

Pfft I don't even know anymore, to many plates to spin sometimes 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 hours ago, minibois said:

It's stable (didn't crash) during a run of 3DMark TimeSpy.

3 hours ago, yaboistar said:

i use unigine valley and i stop it on a bright frame so i can see artefacts.

Being stable for a few runs in a benchmark and being stable in fah are two different things unfortunately, especially when turning off force p2 state.

Try using kombustor with it artifact detector, it's sensitive and will pick up issues a long time before the human eye can, for the most part anyway, but I would still keep my eye on it.

Using kombustor and msi afterburner I overclock while kombustor is running, upping the clocks every few until it crashes or it starts reporting artifacts, allows me to get a idea what the card can do in only a few minutes.

12 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

This is why I back off by 100 on what is stable with a benchmark - it gives that wiggle room to account for slight instability

I don't think 100 is the magic number for all cards, my 3090 was stable for hours of benchmarks and gaming with +200 core and +1100 mem, but crashes in fah when it goes over +75 core or +600 mem, which i thought it would be stable at, but now I have had to drop the clocks down to +50 core and + 400 mem, this seems ok.

I do agree with the idea of finding a stable OC and then backing off a bit to make sure it's as stable as possible.

13 hours ago, Collin_S said:

@GOTSpectrum I have a suggestion for future days. Could you possibly put each day into a new page in the same google sheet? That way, it might be easier to compare between days, especially if we want to put a graph together.

It'd also make it easier to find the results, as we can just bookmark the one sheet.

I have a question: I had a problem with my PSU and had to send it over for repairs. I am signed up for this event but I lost many days of activity - got back to folding yesterday. Can I still get a badge? I started again yesterday and will surely hit the other requirements by the end of the month.

1 minute ago, LubyMoo said:

I have a question: I had a problem with my PSU and had to send it over for repairs. I am signed up for this event but I lost many days of activity - got back to folding yesterday. Can I still get a badge? I started again yesterday and will surely hit the other requirements by the end of the month.

As long as you meet the requirements, I don't see why you wouldn't get a badge for participation

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

14 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

to be fair, it's not like i have my hands on a 3090 to test it myself yet lol

Well it's just an example, I have a few cards that would and wouldn't be stable.

There are so many variables when it comes to overclocking and no 2 cards are the same, so you can't teach numbers, only techniques, IMO.

3 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

As long as you meet the requirements, I don't see why you wouldn't get a badge for participation

I won't meet the 20 day requirement, that's why I ask.

1 minute ago, LubyMoo said:

I won't meet the 20 day requirement, that's why I ask.

Why not, we ar only on our third day, so unless you are folding with a potato you should be able to hit them 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240