Saberent rocket 4 plus announced, with max speeds faster than the 980 PRO

Smackaroy

The new saberent rocket 4 plus nvme ssd has just been announced, with speeds even faster than the samsung 980 pro. It has a read speed of 7000MBs and a write speed of 6850MBs thanks to the new phison E18 controller. It comes in with capacitys of 500gb, 1tb and 2tb.

"Enter the next generation of data storage technology. The rocket 4 plus delivers amazing speed and unmatched reliability."

I think with this new generation of ssds is going to be really exciting, because thanks to the ps5 games are going to start benefiting from faster storage, meaning near instant loading times and bigger and more detailed worlds.

https://www.sabrent.com/rocket-4-plus/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74842/sabrent-does-it-again-rocket-4-plus-ssd-packs-insane-7gb-sec-reads/amp.html

They can do whatever they want about max speeds, I care about sustained speeds. No one's gonna leave their SSDs (that they bought) empty just to score well

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Yeah cool, let's see how sustained and caching is. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah cool, let's see how sustained and caching is. 

Let's wait and see.

3 hours ago, Smackaroy said:

The new saberent rocket 4 plus nvme ssd has just been announced, with speeds even faster than the samsung 980 pro. It has a read speed of 7000MBs and a write speed of 6850MBs thanks to the new phison E18 controller. It comes in with capacitys of 500gb, 1tb and 2tb.

I think with this new generation of ssds is going to be really exciting, because thanks to the ps5 games are going to start benefiting from faster storage, meaning near instant loading times and bigger and more detailed worlds.

https://www.sabrent.com/rocket-4-plus/

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74842/sabrent-does-it-again-rocket-4-plus-ssd-packs-insane-7gb-sec-reads/amp.html

If you look carefully, the marking shows double-sided M2 boards. Also the heatsinks on those clearly are designed for desktops.

So laptop performance might not actually hit those speeds, but someone would have to benchmark it as such.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

If you look carefully, the marking shows double-sided M2 boards. Also the heatsinks on those clearly are designed for desktops.

So laptop performance might not actually hit those speeds, but someone would have to benchmark it as such.

do laptops even have pcie 4.0 yet?

IIRC you won't see the insane load times of a PS5 because it's not implemented the same way. Even though you have the fast drive, it's completely different architecture for the way the system is laid out. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Unless they're is going to be a point for all of these super fast ssd's later on right now I fail to see the purpose of buying one.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Also FYI performance measurements are for the 2TB model, the 1TB will be slower on writes. Either way I'd trust Samsung more to have more consistent performance and latency.

1 hour ago, comander said:

I'm still waiting for faster and smarter file systems on windows with well-done caching. When that happens random IO can mostly be handled on one drive and sustained reads by the other. 

I have given up hope.

Microsoft never developed a decent HDD file system so I kind of doubt they will develop a decent file system for SSDs.

Seems like a lot of functionality of Windows is directly tied to the way the file system works, so it's probably a nightmare trying to get it working on anything but NTFS. Hell, even ReFS which is in many ways very similar to NTFS isn't fully supported in Windows. You can only use it in certain editions and you can't even boot from it.

Would be cool to see Microsoft adopt F2FS or some other file system designed for flash drives. Probably won't happen though.

Yep, here come the E18 drives. With no doubt a load more drives based on this controller on the way, I can see prices of PCIe 4.0 drives going down in the next year or 2, not that there are any use cases for it yet.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Hell, even ReFS which is in many ways very similar to NTFS isn't fully supported in Windows

I have no idea why this is even a thing either, I actually can't think of a reason to restrict it. ReFS was actually designed for SSD/Flash btw, the entire filesystem is built around metadata and checksums with referential data blocks. It's also why it's the preferred filesystem for Veeam backup storage as it gives you all the benefits of deduplication (without being "deduplication") without any of the performance draw backs and zero data re-hydration when reading it back.

What makes it look bad is it's basically always paired with Storage Spaces and that's too easy to implement badly and most of the options it offers sucks. Really it's Storage Spaces that needs massively improving because that just is not good enough outside perfect deployments with exactly the correct hardware.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Also FYI performance measurements are for the 2TB model, the 1TB will be slower on writes. Either way I'd trust Samsung more to have more consistent performance and latency.

As good as Samsung might be they are only riding on their reputation nowadays imo and I would happily go with the Sabrent SSD as that updated Phison controller actually performs well. 

I find it so stupid that people still buy those overpriced 970 EVOs and PROs even though they get outperformed by the newest PCIe 4.0 SSDs. Especially when people buy Zen 2/X570 rigs they still choose those overpriced things.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

54 minutes ago, agent2 said:

As good as Samsung might be they are only riding on their reputation nowadays imo and I would happily go with the Sabrent SSD as that updated Phison controller actually performs well. 

I find it so stupid that people still buy those overpriced 970 EVOs and PROs even though they get outperformed by the newest PCIe 4.0 SSDs. Especially when people buy Zen 2/X570 rigs they still choose those overpriced things.

I think both leadeater and I have talked about this precise thing in the past and both of us agree that Samsung drives (especially the Pro models) aren't just "expensive because of the Samsung sticker".

The Pro models in particular perform MUCH better than than competing drives, but only in certain scenarios that aren't really applicable to most consumer workloads.

Increase the queue depth and start looking at latency and you will see why the Pro drives have such a high price tag compared to competing drives.

Quotes from this thread:

Leadeater:

Spoiler

On 6/10/2020 at 11:43 AM, leadeater said:

Yep, but even Samsung box figures are BS too but we all know box figures are worthless.

Here's a good example of what I mean though:

StorageReview-Samsung-970-Pro-512GB-SQL-

StorageReview-Samsung-970-Pro-512GB-VDI-

SQL workloads you've got the Pro and even the EVO hanging with Optane and for VDI the Pro is actually out performing Optane. Both punch way above their weight if you actually have a workload demand to show it and need it. VDI workload also makes it very clear why the Pro exists and the weakness of EVO.

Also yea I'm biased, I only buy Samsung SSDs for my important stuff, I'll put other things in to computers that are not my own that I won't be using but it's all Samsung for my stuff.

Me:

Spoiler

On 6/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, LAwLz said:

So it's pretty much a 80-100% price increase for the PRO model. Big difference is in endurance rating not speed however, speed difference isn't much between the two.

No, the speed difference is massive, in certain workloads.

@leadeater posted some good benchmarks to show this but I prefer Anandtech's "The Destroyer". It performs a bunch of different workloads, at lots of different block sizes and queue depths. It goes beyond what you will find in a typical desktop workload, but everything is based on real life workloads (just kicked up a few notches).

You can find a detailed explanation of it here and benchmarks of it here.

Here are some numbers which should highlight what a beast the 970 Pro is:

99% percentile read latency in ms:

970 Pro - 696

970 EVO - 2424

Difference - 71% lower latency in the Pro.

99% percentile write latency in ms:

970 Pro - 357

970 EVO - 2654

Difference - 86% lower latency in the Pro.

Average latency in ms:

970 Pro - 72.03

970 EVO - 214.03

Difference - 66% lower latency in the Pro.

Average data rate in MB/s:

970 Pro - 1261

970 EVO - 846

Difference - 49% higher throughput in the Pro.

Not worth the price for the average Joe since the difference in typical workloads will be far smaller than this, but there is a legitimate reason why Samsung calls it "Pro" and sell it at a significantly higher price.

Given the recent decision to use TLC in the 980 Pro, I dont see why anyone in this thread is like "wait and see" muh "sustained performance". Listen, the options to hide the TLC perf on each drive are going to be the same, dram cache and slc mode. The nand itself is probably of the same quality and probably running at the same MT rate to a controller that probably has the same number of channels. Given that we have a significantly higher rated sequential writes on the 2TB Rocket 4 Plus (something samshit also does, rating speeds on a 1TB+ model) I have to believe there is no reason the 980 pro will outperform it even in random or sustained writes or latency.

I really doubt the 980 pro offers anything worthwhile over this. Had Samshit used MLC, maybe yea

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think both leadeater and I have talked about this precise thing in the past and both of us agree that Samsung drives (especially the Pro models) aren't just "expensive because of the Samsung sticker".

The Pro models in particular perform MUCH better than than competing drives, but only in certain scenarios that aren't really applicable to most consumer workloads.

Increase the queue depth and start looking at latency and you will see why the Pro drives have such a high price tag compared to competing drives.

Quotes from this thread:

Leadeater:

Reveal hidden contents

Me:

Reveal hidden contents

So if this SSD came out with MLC and the 1TB version cost 280, 300 tops, then I would consider it for high-performance workloads. But Sabrent has been known to offer their high-end SSDs (especially their Rocket 4.0) are very reasonable prices and I'd happily support the underdog that's doing the right thing instead of confirming Samsung's dumb pricing policy.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

44 minutes ago, agent2 said:

So if this SSD came out with MLC and the 1TB version cost 280, 300 tops, then I would consider it for high-performance workloads. But Sabrent has been known to offer their high-end SSDs (especially their Rocket 4.0) are very reasonable prices and I'd happily support the underdog that's doing the right thing instead of confirming Samsung's dumb pricing policy.

But Samsung's "dumb pricing policy" isn't dumb. It's just that their SSDs which have a price premium have that price premium because of reasons that are not apparent to the average consumer.

I am not saying you shouldn't buy a Sabrent SSD. What I am saying is that it isn't as simple as going "Sabrent good, Samsung bad". It depends on which type of workload you are doing. 

Of course, I am talking about the older drives and things might change this upcoming generation, but I've seen people make comments similar to yours regarding the "current gen" and for that they are absolutely wrong.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But Samsung's "dumb pricing policy" isn't dumb. It's just that their SSDs which have a price premium have that price premium because of reasons that are not apparent to the average consumer.

I am not saying you shouldn't buy a Sabrent SSD. What I am saying is that it isn't as simple as going "Sabrent good, Samsung bad". It depends on which type of workload you are doing. 

Of course, I am talking about the older drives and things might change this upcoming generation, but I've seen people make comments similar to yours regarding the "current gen" and for that they are absolutely wrong.

Then if these specific workload-advantageous are so known, then why do consumers still buy them for day-to-day use even though they're better off spending 50$ less for the same capacity, and the same IOPS? Would you buy a 970 EVO Plus or a Rocket 4.0 (with same capacity) for the same price? I'd go with the PCIe 4.0 device please. 

If I believe you that the Pro is so much better, then why do people still pay those inflated prices for the EVO Plus models?

3 minutes ago, agent2 said:

I'd go with the PCIe 4.0 device please.

This doesn't actually make that much of a difference, interface speed doesn't really change the quality of the product or why you would buy one over the other for an actual professional workload. There are SATA SSDs I'd buy over quite a few NVMe SSDs because they perform better, just not in burst speed.

But like, desktop usage is all burst speeds so as long as you don't fall outside an SSDs caching and SLC/MLC tiering capability it's really not going to matter what you buy.

We don't run IOmeter etc all day every day so like who actually cares about the burst speed anyway, 6000 vs 7000 of read or write just is not going to be noticed.

19 hours ago, Smackaroy said:

do laptops even have pcie 4.0 yet?

It’s planned by intel 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

21 minutes ago, agent2 said:

Then if these specific workload-advantageous are so known, then why do consumers still buy them for day-to-day use even though they're better off spending 50$ less for the same capacity, and the same IOPS?

I don't think the benefits of a Pro Samsung drive are very well known.

And why do people buy them? Because it's a recognized brand and once you get to this level of hardware it's less about getting the best bang for your buck and more about bragging rights.

It's harder to brag about having a Sabrent Rocket than it is to brag about having a 980 Pro.

The higher end you go, the less price matters.

Would you buy a 970 EVO Plus or a Rocket 4.0 (with same capacity) for the same price? I'd go with the PCIe 4.0 device please. 

It depends on how they perform. Probably the Rocket 4.0 though. It seems like it will be way faster than the 970 Evo Plus. But I wouldn't pick the Rocket 4.0 over the Evo Plus because of PCIe 4.0. I could not care less about which interface standard the drive uses. What matters is performance. There will probably be PCIe 3.0 drives that perform better than PCIe 4.0 drives.

If I believe you that the Pro is so much better, then why do people still pay those inflated prices for the EVO Plus models?

I don't believe the "pro is so much better". Stop being so hostile.

The 970 Pro is better than the competing drives on the market. But it's better in ways that won't matter to the average consumer.

As for why people buy the EVO Plus models? Well because until recently it was actually one of the best drives for the price. I also don't think people are too worried about a few tens of dollars here or there, and would rather go with a familiar brand name like Samsung over Sabrent. 

So to TL;DR:

1) The Samsung Pro models have clear benefits. They are way faster than competing drives, but only in some scenarios. These scenarios are not that important to the average user and therefore the Pro series is a bad buy for most people. However, people buy they for bragging rights.

2) The Evo series isn't bad. They still have benefits but they are not exactly the price:performance kings. But not everyone only looks at price to performance. Some also like buying stuff from trusted brands even if it means paying a bit more for a little less. Samsung has a fantastic track record with their SSDs. Maybe the best in the industry. Some people value that, some don't.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:57 PM, Jurrunio said:

They can do whatever they want about max speeds, I care about sustained speeds. No one's gonna leave their SSDs (that they bought) empty just to score well

And that's where Samsung has consistently been one if not the best performer.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think the benefits of a Pro Samsung drive are very well known.

And why do people buy them? Because it's a recognized brand and once you get to this level of hardware it's less about getting the best bang for your buck and more about bragging rights.

It's harder to brag about having a Sabrent Rocket than it is to brag about having a 980 Pro.

The higher end you go, the less price matters.

It depends on how they perform. Probably the Rocket 4.0 though. It seems like it will be way faster than the 970 Evo Plus. But I wouldn't pick the Rocket 4.0 over the Evo Plus because of PCIe 4.0. I could not care less about which interface standard the drive uses. What matters is performance. There will probably be PCIe 3.0 drives that perform better than PCIe 4.0 drives.

I don't believe the "pro is so much better". Stop being so hostile.

The 970 Pro is better than the competing drives on the market. But it's better in ways that won't matter to the average consumer.

As for why people buy the EVO Plus models? Well because until recently it was actually one of the best drives for the price. I also don't think people are too worried about a few tens of dollars here or there, and would rather go with a familiar brand name like Samsung over Sabrent. 

So to TL;DR:

1) The Samsung Pro models have clear benefits. They are way faster than competing drives, but only in some scenarios. These scenarios are not that important to the average user and therefore the Pro series is a bad buy for most people. However, people buy they for bragging rights.

2) The Evo series isn't bad. They still have benefits but they are not exactly the price:performance kings. But not everyone only looks at price to performance. Some also like buying stuff from trusted brands even if it means paying a bit more for a little less. Samsung has a fantastic track record with their SSDs. Maybe the best in the industry. Some people value that, some don't.

Sorry for letting off steam here in this thread I don't deny that Samsung SSDs aren't good. I'm just part of the gang that promotes SSDs that are as good as Samsung but are wayyy cheaper. So I just want to raise awareness to those buying SSDs for everyday use and and for gaming that you can buy e. g. a HP/Sabrent/Silicon Power or other which have similar IOPS, sequential R/W etc. for much less and use that saved money on something that will benefit their gameplay instead of the pro workload they are never going to encounter. 

So peace man. 

4 minutes ago, agent2 said:

I'm just part of the gang that promotes SSDs that are as good as Samsung but are wayyy cheaper. So I just want to raise awareness to those buying SSDs for everyday use and and for gaming that you can buy e. g. a HP/Sabrent/Silicon Power or other which have similar IOPS, sequential R/W etc.

That's good, and I think brands like Sabrent (or now SK Hynix with their Gold P31 drive) will be really good options for most people. 

But we should be careful with generalization and zealous behavior where we go "X brand is bad, always buy brand Y!".