[Mini] Samsung 980 Pro arriving soon

williamcll
11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Ah so you are reffering to that short benchmarks. 

Added a edit as i doublechecked pro drives from samsung to see if they utilized SLC cache in a notable manner. Which they didnt. 

For some reason i thought it dropped to around 1200mb/s. My bad. 

And yeah, the box numbers are fairly missrepresenting on how good the perfomance is. 

Yep, but even Samsung box figures are BS too but we all know box figures are worthless.

Here's a good example of what I mean though:

StorageReview-Samsung-970-Pro-512GB-SQL-

StorageReview-Samsung-970-Pro-512GB-VDI-

SQL workloads you've got the Pro and even the EVO hanging with Optane and for VDI the Pro is actually out performing Optane. Both punch way above their weight if you actually have a workload demand to show it and need it. VDI workload also makes it very clear why the Pro exists and the weakness of EVO.

Also yea I'm biased, I only buy Samsung SSDs for my important stuff, I'll put other things in to computers that are not my own that I won't be using but it's all Samsung for my stuff.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also yea I'm biased, I only buy Samsung SSDs for my important stuff, I'll put other things in to computers that are not my own that I won't be using but it's all Samsung for my stuff.

Yeah samsung has good stuff. 

But for the purpose of value, i usually steer away from them due to other offerings. Like Silicon power A80, MP34 or similar.

(Ignore my 860 evo i got for the same as the mx500, which was the cheapest cached option)

20 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Yeah samsung has good stuff. 

But for the purpose of value, i usually steer away from them due to other offerings. Like Silicon power A80, MP34 or similar.

(Ignore my 860 evo i got for the same as the mx500, which was the cheapest cached option)

I have a micron 1100 which is the OEM version of the crucial MX 300, which last I checked was an even cheaper version with 1333 Mhz RAM.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, 3rrant said:

So it's pretty much a 80-100% price increase for the PRO model. Big difference is in endurance rating not speed however, speed difference isn't much between the two.

No, the speed difference is massive, in certain workloads.

@leadeater posted some good benchmarks to show this but I prefer Anandtech's "The Destroyer". It performs a bunch of different workloads, at lots of different block sizes and queue depths. It goes beyond what you will find in a typical desktop workload, but everything is based on real life workloads (just kicked up a few notches).

You can find a detailed explanation of it here and benchmarks of it here.

Here are some numbers which should highlight what a beast the 970 Pro is:

99% percentile read latency in ms:

970 Pro - 696

970 EVO - 2424

Difference - 71% lower latency in the Pro.

99% percentile write latency in ms:

970 Pro - 357

970 EVO - 2654

Difference - 86% lower latency in the Pro.

Average latency in ms:

970 Pro - 72.03

970 EVO - 214.03

Difference - 66% lower latency in the Pro.

Average data rate in MB/s:

970 Pro - 1261

970 EVO - 846

Difference - 49% higher throughput in the Pro.

Not worth the price for the average Joe since the difference in typical workloads will be far smaller than this, but there is a legitimate reason why Samsung calls it "Pro" and sell it at a significantly higher price.

Neat, finally NVMe MLC PCIe 4.0 drive. Looking forward to see this one. Wish more brands used MLC offerings though. Definitely a premium price, but quality is there, also no competition. You know, we all knew SSD prices will go down, but we wanted the quality of NAND to not get scuffed along. Yet SLC and aside Samsung Pro line MLC too getting phased out. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No, the speed difference is massive, in certain workloads.

@leadeater posted some good benchmarks to show this but I prefer Anandtech's "The Destroyer". It performs a bunch of different workloads, at lots of different block sizes and queue depths. It goes beyond what you will find in a typical desktop workload, but everything is based on real life workloads (just kicked up a few notches).

You can find a detailed explanation of it here and benchmarks of it here.

Here are some numbers which should highlight what a beast the 970 Pro is:

99% percentile read latency in ms:

970 Pro - 696

970 EVO - 2424

Difference - 71% lower latency in the Pro.

99% percentile write latency in ms:

970 Pro - 357

970 EVO - 2654

Difference - 86% lower latency in the Pro.

Average latency in ms:

970 Pro - 72.03

970 EVO - 214.03

Difference - 66% lower latency in the Pro.

Average data rate in MB/s:

970 Pro - 1261

970 EVO - 846

Difference - 49% higher throughput in the Pro.

Not worth the price for the average Joe since the difference in typical workloads will be far smaller than this, but there is a legitimate reason why Samsung calls it "Pro" and sell it at a significantly higher price.

In my personal experience I've noticed zero difference in daily use, even for programming and web design. Might be good for big file transfers but that's pretty much it.

3 hours ago, 3rrant said:

In my personal experience I've noticed zero difference in daily use, even for programming and web design. Might be good for big file transfers but that's pretty much it.

Yeah like I said most people will be better off buying the Evo drive. 

But saying that you don't notice a difference in daily use is like saying you don't notice a difference between an 8 core and a 16 core processor. It's only for certain workloads you will notice a difference, and that workload is something you very rarely run into (if ever) . But when you do that type of workload, the difference is big. 

• 2 weeks later...

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I guess the new " mini  " drive won't have mini pricing

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 6/10/2020 at 1:16 AM, LAwLz said:

I'm not that up to date with SSDs but last time I checked Samsung drives were pretty competitive in terms of pricing. At least when you took performance and reliability into account.

I am not sure. When I look at the prices between a 860 EVO and a crucial cx500 of the same compacity the evo cost way more and the performance difference does not justify the price difference at all. Also they both have the same warranty as well so that couldn't justify it as well. Idk I like Samsung drives when they are price competitive but right now they aren't where I am. I mean i can get a nvme ssd for the price of a sata ssd from Samsung. 

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I am not sure. When I look at the prices between a 860 EVO and a crucial cx500 of the same compacity the evo cost way more and the performance difference does not justify the price difference at all. Also they both have the same warranty as well so that couldn't justify it as well. Idk I like Samsung drives when they are price competitive but right now they aren't where I am. I mean i can get a nvme ssd for the price of a sata ssd from Samsung. 

Not so much the case now but a while back Samsung endurance of their SSDs was basically too high, a lot of their TLC SSDs had the same or better endurance than competitor MLC. Hardly anyone really pushes their SSD write endurance and everyone else's is good enough it's not a purchase factor anymore. That is what I like about Samsung though but maybe they just need to keep some of their older flash chip designs around for longer and find a cheaper way to manufacture them.

On 6/10/2020 at 10:45 AM, GDRRiley said:

that samsgun

If Samsung was an American gun manufacturing co.

12 hours ago, aliasdred said:

If Samsung was an American gun manufacturing co.

Samsung made SPGs, does that count?