So, how many of you are "refugees" from other tech forums?

Pickles von Brine
3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

who said anything about jobs?

I mean in OCN, that's kind of what I witnessed during the brief time I visited it.

Looks like they didn't wanted any new users there so then why don't they simply closed the forum and made it private or invite-only? or state that you must only ask questions about new top of the line components because the rest suck, kind of like a real elite club.

I know there are places that are not for me but what can I say? I simply love to complain about it even after 5+ years.

Well I'm sure there are plenty of guys at OCN that are that way. Probably at most all big forums there's always that someone or a moderator....

I dont frequent posting at OCN myself. Not because of anyone one there, but because they are the only direct competition to our team. It did take them a few years to take back the #1 team spot. They earned it by only recruiting other benchers  with high points.  It wasn't earned per say.

7 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Hello everyone,

Many of you may not know, but I am an old member of OCN (Jan 09) under the name Lord Xeb and am respected (or believe to be) in certain parts of the forum. Over time OCN... it just... changed and wasn't the same as what it once was. Too many elite asshats, moderation changes, etc.The old guard that was once in play was no longer there and it lost something. I decided to find a new home. Someplace not necessarily to start anew, but a place where I could easily share my knowledge and learn. That was LTT. So far, I am glad I did. 

How about the the rest of you? Are some of you "refugees" from other forums? 

Ah - Lord Zeb!

I'm "Kryton" from OCN and that's just one of the names I have but "Bones" is my official benching name, esp at the bot.

I'm not a refugee from anywhere, I"m more like a drifter and I do get around quite well (Enough).

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

11 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Ah - Lord Zeb!

I'm "Kryton" from OCN and that's just one of the names I have but "Bones" is my official benching name, esp at the bot.

I'm not a refugee from anywhere, I"m more like a drifter and I do get around quite well (Enough).

You forum slut you! Lol

I was on the Anandtech forums for awhile. Lurked the Bulbapedia forums for a few years too. Started a thread that endured for several years. Not sure if it’s still alive. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I used to post on the Hard OCP forums, but when Kyle made it into a pay-to-use nightmare like 10 years ago, I stopped visiting. It was mostly the OT stuff that got paywalled, and I didn't really use anything other than the OT stuff, and I was poor, so I stopped going.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

20 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I don't even visit it anymore, didn't even knew there were teams or competitions I just went there to ask for an OC guide because I didn't knew anything back then.

pretty schupid idea, I know.

Yea competitive benchmarking was once popular. 

HWBot.org is where the comps happen.

I went probably 15 years without a tech forum before joining up at LTT.  The last forum I was a member on was the old Pimprig/PcApex forums before they shut down.  Joined here after watching the youtube channel for LTT and the callout for support with Folding@Home.  The covid thing pulled me back in to put some more modern hardware to good use.  Will admit that I miss doing crazy things with hardware and the attempt to overclock everything in the old days.

Not a refugee. But I have recently opened accounts at Anandtech, Toms hardware and here. When I have a question i try to find out which forum gives me the best response. If i don't get one, I post in one of the other forums. 

For just reading the forum, I noticed Anandtech has much less traffic, then comes Linus, then Toms hardware with the most posts. On my phone Toms hardware has those annoying ads and videos that start on their own (especially annoying, since that pauses my podcasts I'm listening too while reading). I haven't noticed flaming or hate or other things. 

All forums suffer from people asking questions without having researched on their own, and without providing necessary information. Would be best if people just ignore obvious people too lazy to google. If a PSU is well regarded is easy to find out by searching tear-down reviews and all PSU manufacturers have sizing information. If a CPU works in a mobo is easily found out by looking at the manufacturer website. And then the people with champagner taste and tap water budget or just wrong priorities. They insist on confirmation that their $30 PSU can power their $1000 graphics . But without those posts, there would be too little traffic, I assume 🙂

I like about Linus that CPU/RAM/mobo  are in one subsection. All 3 elements are heavily dependent on each other. I'm not clear on why cases and PSU are in the same category, though. 

21 hours ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I don't want to argue with you.

I think anyone can tell what I'm saying.

I thought I misspelled a word or something and you were asking me about it lol.

Look at his "specs"  I don't think he's serious,  if he is then lol 😁 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

*has a very old account on OCN* 

when I decided to start looking at computers again I tried OCN first, but it was very weird and all the stuff was old.  Looked like it had been bought out or shut down or something.  Big mess.   Lately I’ve been getting spam from OCN showing active threads. Unfortunately for them I make a policy of never engaging with spam.  They might as well have blocked me from the URL by spamming me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i used to be on ocn and toms. but both got "bought" and website/format changed. they just wernt the same after that
down to this one, guru3d, and Anandtech

Not a refugee either. Used to frequent on gaming centered forums, mainly Tip.it and local Battlefield-series forums. When interests shifted, those forums offered very little. This has been my heavy usage from first days. Less browsing currently due lack of money and interests to actually keep my hardware up to date.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, circeseye said:

i used to be on ocn and toms. but both got "bought" and website/format changed. they just wernt the same after that
down to this one, guru3d, and Anandtech

I have to agree - Once the site was sold and different management took over, it just wasn't the same and frankly the site was kinda broken for awhile and still seems that way even now.
I also noted alot of guys after all that moved on or whatever, just not the same as it was before.

20 hours ago, HerrKaLeu said:

Not a refugee. But I have recently opened accounts at Anandtech, Toms hardware and here. When I have a question i try to find out which forum gives me the best response. If i don't get one, I post in one of the other forums. 

For just reading the forum, I noticed Anandtech has much less traffic, then comes Linus, then Toms hardware with the most posts. On my phone Toms hardware has those annoying ads and videos that start on their own (especially annoying, since that pauses my podcasts I'm listening too while reading). I haven't noticed flaming or hate or other things. 

All forums suffer from people asking questions without having researched on their own, and without providing necessary information. Would be best if people just ignore obvious people too lazy to google. If a PSU is well regarded is easy to find out by searching tear-down reviews and all PSU manufacturers have sizing information. If a CPU works in a mobo is easily found out by looking at the manufacturer website. And then the people with champagner taste and tap water budget or just wrong priorities. They insist on confirmation that their $30 PSU can power their $1000 graphics . But without those posts, there would be too little traffic, I assume 🙂

I like about Linus that CPU/RAM/mobo  are in one subsection. All 3 elements are heavily dependent on each other. I'm not clear on why cases and PSU are in the same category, though. 

This as said will always happen but it does help if topics with answers doesn't just go down the rabbit hole of a forum.
Have to admit - With the traffic volume here that's what happens, most everything just "Goes" and the same questions it seems are asked again and again.

To sticky such would require a literal wall of stickies for all the basic things that's asked anyway and that's not feasable.

Lots of good info here but you gotta be quick to catch it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I've been a member to more forums than I can remember. 

Some just died, some the user base just made me uninterested in. I've used this username most of the time. 

The only forum that I still remember that I can really say I miss is the Tripwire interactive forum. I was enrolled as a beta tester for their game Red Orchestra: Ostfront. I guess the forum is still around but I would guess none of the user I used to joke around with, but that was 15 years ago and time moves on. 

On 8/22/2020 at 1:45 PM, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Wait you got banned from Toms? How you manage that? 

Then again i got banned off the ubuntu forums years and years ago. 

Not all that hard really.. ;)

I was on Toms Hardware for over 12 years and was banned...

And for posting the truth with evidence to back it up from different sources, pissed off a Moderator who was a fanboy and pushing misinformation...

The only ideas that were right were what they said, facts didn't matter....

Was threatened publicly...

Of course the Admin team backed the Mod, what a surprise..... NOT....

It was getting toxic anyway,,,,, So I don't miss it...

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Technically came over from the NCIX "forums". (if we can even call it that...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 8/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, Donut417 said:

Leoville town square. I forget what my user name was on there. It shut down quite a while ago. 

oh man I remember leoville. Never got big into the forum, but Leo Laporte tought me so much when ZDtv was new. good old days.

1 hour ago, DavidKalinowski said:

oh man I remember leoville. Never got big into the forum, but Leo Laporte tought me so much when ZDtv was new. good old days.

Used to watch the screen savers and call for help EVERY dad after school. Id do my homework will I watched. When I got internet in my room, I discovered Leoville. It was a great way to lean about tech and help others. Was very sad when it died. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Lots of good info here but you gotta be quick to catch it.

Ehh, sort of. 

A lot needs deep searching.

The OC guides are well dated here.

New useful information is super difficult to get stickied.

This forum, I've come to find, is just a subset of people that watch the LTT videos and seemingly couldn't find an answer. Or so it seems..... then come here asking for help.

No, Linus isnt here. No hes not going to help you. Find his video and watch it again lol.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ehh, sort of. 

A lot needs deep searching.

The OC guides are well dated here.

New useful information is super difficult to get stickied.

This forum, I've come to find, is just a subset of people that watch the LTT videos and seemingly couldn't find an answer. Or so it seems..... then come here asking for help.

No, Linus isnt here. No hes not going to help you. Find his video and watch it again lol.

I never thought that anyone who even worked for the company would post here. At most there might be one or two who would act as probably not very willing moderators.  I have seen a few posts trying to talk to someone from the company. 4 or 5 total.   Of course I don’t actually read the official page either.  They’re usually very young and brash.  Often also often from small nations where such a thing might be more reasonable to think.  It’s usually very esl.  Nothing wrong with that. I’m impressed.  I don’t even know my second language well enough to read an Internet forum and I studied it for years.  I was looking for computer information.  Not debugging, but more simple stuff.  what was worth updating to.  The One Internet forum I used for that that was still even a site clearly wasn’t functional.  I looked at redit, and decided it was so awful I’d rather not own a computer than deal with that.  I was trying to find information on the internet and it was mentioned that this site existed, so I hunted it up.  It was actually better than the old one.  It’s not that it necessarily contained more abstruse data. It was the simple stuff I needed anyway.  I thought I would be useful.  I was wrong.   I quickly learned that what I thought I knew wasn’t much and what little I did know was largely out of date.  I wasn’t a more knowledgeable person I was a less knowledgeable person.  This suited me fine.  I needed to learn stuff.  The main difference was the people here weren’t dicks. The old forum was full of dicks and redit was like opening a tightly closed box of rubber dildos. Sproingy Forrest of phalluses.  It was pleasant.  And I could learn stuff.  It wasn’t even totally infested with extremist political trolls shooting dog whistles back and forth at each other.   That’s rare in this day and age. It was pleasant.  I can point people to share stuff is, answer some simple questions if I fairly rarely know anything helpful which isn’t all that often. There seemed to be a definite demarcation.  People who knew a lot, and people who knew absolutely nothing at all.  I knew a tiny bit. Nothing the knowledgeable people didn’t know, but I could answer questions they didn’t want to bother with. I could be at least moderately if not especially useful. Useful is rare for me these days. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I never thought that anyone who even worked for the company would post here. At most there might be one or two who would act as probably not very willing moderators.  I have seen a few posts trying to talk to someone from the company. 4 or 5 total.   

Snip.

Its a forum not LTT main gig. This is a mere extension of something that does work, the tech videos.

I really enjoy helping with people's equipment just as much as the next guy.

But with technology, most of the time an answer isnt simple like the question, why? Or how? Which you'll see a lot of.

The happy medium is at this forum and one of the reasons its popular is because Linus attracts younger crowds. Then some older gentleman that stay on the up and up come and help. 

But that wasn't really my point with that comment to Beerzerker there.

You do a fantastic job helping people. And you know quite a bit. Dont ever think yourself otherwise. :)

14 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Used to watch the screen savers and call for help EVERY dad after school. Id do my homework will I watched. When I got internet in my room, I discovered Leoville. It was a great way to lean about tech and help others. Was very sad when it died. 

last I knew leo was still doing stuff over on twit.tv I haven't looked in there for a while. It just doesn't feel the same as the old shows though. But yea I would say I learned at 70% of what I know about computers from Leo Laporte and Kate Bottelo. I still remember Kate geeking out about a soundblaster awe64 lol, and the vodoo graphic cards. Oh such good times.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:31 PM, Donut417 said:

On 8/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, DavidKalinowski said:

last I knew leo was still doing stuff over on twit.tv I haven't looked in there for a while. It just doesn't feel the same as the old shows though. But yea I would say I learned at 70% of what I know about computers from Leo Laporte and Kate Bottelo. I still remember Kate geeking out about a soundblaster awe64 lol, and the vodoo graphic cards. Oh such good times

I used to love to watch those shows on TV back then.

I watched call for help, screen savers, x-play regularly.

It was like my introduction to the new more modern computers of the time compared to the dinosaur computers I had used before then. 😄

I think the lesson is that no matter who you are or how you deliver it, podcasts, TV shows, videos or what ever.

You can't spread the content too thin.

Sadly the world is just too slow and boring.  😴

I suspect If you do then the audience starts leaving.

ArsTechnica refugee here. I corrected a mod and got banned.

Oh well, I use using the site less and less as time went by, all the old guard had moved on anyway.

LTT has a much better userbase anyway

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 8/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, Intergalacticbits said:

I used to love to watch those shows on TV back then.

I watched call for help, screen savers, x-play regularly.

It was like my introduction to the new more modern computers of the time compared to the dinosaur computers I had used before then. 😄

I think the lesson is that no matter who you are or how you deliver it, podcasts, TV shows, videos or what ever.

You can't spread the content too thin.

Sadly the world is just too slow and boring.  😴

I suspect If you do then the audience starts leaving.

I forgot about xplay. It was entertaining and fun. My understanding was they could'nt get enough add revenue to keep it going. (The channel as a whole)