Facebook follows Fortnite and blames Apple for hurting small businesses

Summary

Facebook is launching a new service on their platform. It allows businesses, creators educators and media publishers to host paid online events. Small businesses will receive 100% of the payments except for payments through Apple.

grafik.png.a721ef8d11f9de6951590d5a183414f2.png

Quotes

To support small businesses and creators, Facebook will not collect any fees from paid online events for at least the next year. For transactions on the web, and on Android in countries where we have rolled out Facebook Pay, small businesses will keep 100% of the revenue they generate from paid online events.

We asked Apple to reduce its 30% App Store tax or allow us to offer Facebook Pay so we could absorb all costs for businesses struggling during COVID-19. Unfortunately, they dismissed both our requests and SMBs will only be paid 70% of their hard-earned revenue. While Facebook is waiving fees for paid online events we will make other fees clear in the product. (Updated on August 14, 2020 at 1:07 PM PT to clarify where we will explain the fees.) Here’s how this will look on Android and iOS, which we submitted to Apple today for approval.

grafik.png.dece434dd31a6517c9ebe894127e0dc4.png

My thoughts

It seems like another big company joined forces with Fortnite to fight the 30% Apple tax. Facebook makes it look like if they are fighting for the little guys. I wonder how this will turn out for Apple.

Edit: Facebook may try to get a foot in the door of Apple devices for their own payment service "Facebook Pay" and their announced cryptocurrency "Libra".

Sources

https://about.fb.com/news/2020/08/paid-online-events/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/facebook-says-apple-in-app-fees-hurt-businesses-during-covid/2020/08/14/2ce1cd80-de6f-11ea-b4f1-25b762cdbbf4_story.html

7 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Facebook makes it look like if they are fighting for the little guys.

As long as the “little guys” handover their data to Facebook and sell it for advertisers to target 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

45 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

My thoughts

It seems like another big company joined forces with Fortnite to fight the 30% Apple tax. Facebook makes it look like if they are fighting for the little guys. I wonder how this will turn out for Apple.

Honestly, Facebook is even worse than Epic running this P. T. Barnum con.

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Summary

Facebook is launching a new service on their platform. It allows businesses, creators educators and media publishers to host paid online events. Small businesses will receive 100% of the payments except for payments through Apple.

grafik.png.a721ef8d11f9de6951590d5a183414f2.png

Quotes

grafik.png.dece434dd31a6517c9ebe894127e0dc4.png

My thoughts

Sources

https://about.fb.com/news/2020/08/paid-online-events/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/facebook-says-apple-in-app-fees-hurt-businesses-during-covid/2020/08/14/2ce1cd80-de6f-11ea-b4f1-25b762cdbbf4_story.html

I wonder how Facebook plans to monetise this... oh yeah not being upfront about it and either selling data or monitoring the business to either steal any good ideas they can or just buy the rest and absorb the company. 

Plus I’m sure a business would take 70% of the price to gain access to the hundreds of millions of people on iOS.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

The reason they jump on the wagon is because it's a business opportunity,and Zucks can't say no to money.

I know that facebook doesn't take money from developers,their business model is different - harvesting user data and using it to display advertisements.

Any developer using facebook for it will have to sign up it's soul to the devil.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

30 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I wonder how Facebook plans to monetise this... oh yeah not being upfront about it and either selling data or monitoring the business to either steal any good ideas they can or just buy the rest and absorb the company. 

Facebook may try to get a foot in the door of Apple devices for their own payment service "Facebook Pay" and their announced cryptocurrency "Libra".

just because facebook is a scummy data stealing etc etc etc, doesn't invalidate the problem with apple.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

31 minutes ago, mr moose said:

just because facebook is a scummy data stealing etc etc etc, doesn't invalidate the problem with apple.

There isn’t a problem with Apple it’s literally how every market works. Unless you’re made about the % cut steam takes from the poor indie developers and small

dev studios that fill up the market place with crap. 

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Agreed

9 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

There isn’t a problem with Apple it’s literally how every market works. Unless you’re made about the % cut steam takes from the poor indie developers and small

Apple has a number of problems not just limited to their digital storefront.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

27 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Agreed

Apple has a number of problems not just limited to their digital storefront.

Like what? 

With this digital storefront thing I honestly don’t see the big deal, it’s literally the only way to monetise the App Store as apps such as fortnite are FREE downloads and make money through in app purchases, if Apple and google did not take a cut they would be hosting Epics game at a loss.

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

If you're not willing to accept the obvious problems with apple there is no point trying to explain the more complex issues.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ahaha here we go. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Facebook doesn't take a cut from the transaction. They just take all your information about you with it. Epic hypocrisy lmao

This is just a convenient event for FB to piggy back off of. Their real salt revolves around ios 14 and the privacy features it brings.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Like what? 

With this digital storefront thing I honestly don’t see the big deal, it’s literally the only way to monetise the App Store as apps such as fortnite are FREE downloads and make money through in app purchases, if Apple and google did not take a cut they would be hosting Epics game at a loss.

Mainly the part where Apple refuses to allow other means of installing apps outside of the app store, which is stupid.

Fortnite could just start their own hosting service, but it would be difficult because of Apples walled garden of an app store.

Like what? 

As has allready been pointed out it comes back to the fact that there's no alternative to the apple store. On android, (or PC for that matter), you can choose to not use the google store, (steam in PC terms). With apple devices it's the apple store or nothing.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Mainly the part where Apple refuses to allow other means of installing apps outside of the app store, which is stupid.

Fortnite could just start their own hosting service, but it would be difficult because of Apples walled garden of an app store.

Why would they? It’s their OS and their devices. So they should be able to set their own terms 

Also one could argue freedom of choice and installing on your own, but that also brings liability. Reason why there is so little malware for Apple devices is because of this. And if someone still sneaks in something, they have leverage and control. If someone sneaks malware on Android via sideloading, Google can do very little. Unless they keep on scanning apps and being sure they are detecting malicious ones. Which we know how well that works. It's not all black and white. This is the user safety side. The other is their profit. Which is stupid blaming them. If you all were owners of Apple and had such system in place, you also wouldn't let it go. So I kinda hate it, but also understand it.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also one could argue freedom of choice and installing on your own, but that also brings liability. Reason why there is so little malware for Apple devices is because of this. And if someone still sneaks in something, they have leverage and control. If someone sneaks malware on Android via sideloading, Google can do very little. Unless they keep on scanning apps and being sure they are detecting malicious ones. Which we know how well that works. It's not all black and white. This is the user safety side. The other is their profit. Which is stupid blaming them. If you all were owners of Apple and had such system in place, you also wouldn't let it go. So I kinda hate it, but also understand it.

Apple does harp on about security and such quite a lot it’s a major factor in their appeal. 

@Lord Vile

And I can understand why. Android is such absolute wild wild west when it comes to this. Sure, it gives freedom to users, but also inevitable chaos...

Why would they? It’s their OS and their devices. So they should be able to set their own terms 

Mainly because it's a shitty practice that fucks over the consumer, not to mention could be considered a monopoly and therefore get them into hot water should the government actually decide to do something about it.

But mainly because it's a shitty practice that fucks over the consumer.

Also I'm fairly certain when you buy the device, it becomes YOUR device and is no longer their property. You absolutely should have the right to run whatever legal software you desire on that device.

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Mainly because it's a shitty practice that fucks over the consumer, not to mention could be considered a monopoly and therefore get them into hot water should the government actually decide to do something about it.

Also I'm fairly certain when you buy the device, it becomes YOUR device and is no longer their property. You absolutely should have the right to run whatever legal software you desire on that device.

How does it fuck over the consumer? It doesn't even fuck over devs as long as your software is sustainable the 30% cut to have access to a userbase of 900 million potential customers is great.

By that definition every platform is a monopoly.

if you wanna try strip iOS sure, iOS is Apples IP and you have to agree to their Terms to use it. Same with all proprietary OS'

facebook is being so stupid but not surprised by these actions.

apple, microsoft, sony and google all need to lower their cut from 30% (cus guess what it is almost industry wide that 30% is the cut from these stores)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Fortnite still makes over a million a day from the Apple app with the tax.