COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul

Some sobering informations regarding hospitalized patients in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/medical-databases-show-1-in-10-hospitalized-middle-aged-coronavirus-patients-in-us-do-not-survive/2020/04/11/284485a2-7bfe-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html

If you don't have access to the full article, say so and I'll copy-paste it here.

Some quotes:

The coronavirus is killing about 1 in 10 hospitalized middle-aged patients and 4 in 10 older than 85 in the United States, and is particularly lethal to men even when taking into account common chronic diseases that exacerbate risk, according to previously unpublished data from a company that aggregates real-time patient data from 1,000 hospitals and 180,000 health-care providers.

So... 10% of hospitalized Middle-Aged Patients and 40% of those older than 85. And mostly men.

That (the "men" predominance) is something which was also found in China and Italy.

CarePort found that, after adjusting the estimated mortality rate to take age into account, chronic kidney disease appears to correspond to a 2.5 times greater risk of death among hospitalized patients.

According to CarePort, an 85-year-old who has no chronic diseases and is hospitalized faces a mortality risk between 22 and 27 percent. But if the person has what is known as existing acute kidney injury, the mortality rate spikes to 39 to 49 percent.

Among the common diseases associated with higher levels of mortality from covid-19 are diabetes, lung disease and heart disease. These are common conditions in the United States, ...

The average age of a patient hospitalized with covid-19, the company said, is 59.6 years old. Mortality rises sharply with age: It is just 1 percent for hospitalized patients under the age of 20, 4 percent for ages 20 to 44, 9 percent for 45 to 54, 13 percent for 55 to 64, 23 percent for 65 to 74, 31 percent for 75 to 84, and 40 percent for 85 and up.

Now... While this kind of information is very interesting and relevant, BUT who is collecting it, whom they are collecting it for and what is going to be done with it is more than questionnable and worrying...

Allscripts, through its subsidiary CarePort Health, released the data collected from multiple electronic health record companies across the nation.

And another information not so good at all, but regarding the progression growth in the US it should've happened sooner than later.

the United States passed Italy on Saturday for the most confirmed covid-19 deaths in the world, with more than 20,000 fatalities, ...

And these are only the "official" numbers. So if you count all those deaths due to comorbidity, or who died at home, or the homeless who died and were not yet found...

Well... *Shivering* at the projected numbers.

8 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I made a commitment some time ago no to enter discussions on economics here, after asking myself if I'd expect to see an Intel engineer debating CPU architectures in an anonymous forum for economics' enthusiasts (and why that would be). Hence, I won't address the sequence of posts of the last few pages, but I will just suggest to check where you are sourcing these projections and catastrophic messages. The consensus in the profession is that the public health measures adopted will have an economic impact that needs to be countered, and can be countered, through an appropriate economic policy. Stupid implementations will lead to stupid results, of course, but it is possible to dampen the impact of the preventive measures. That is so because this recession is unlike any other in nature (in a positive way), which also explains why it requires unusual policies too. Overall, there will be a non-negligible effect, but that's not something that can't be managed given the time interval for the expected duration of the most severe restrictive measures. And that's accounting for potential new instances of partial lockdowns in the future as new outbreaks take place before a vaccine is ready.

Now, and this is important, whether or not it is true, or any of us agrees with it, that is the current consensus among actual experts. Therefore, it is worth asking yourself where are you getting these other messages from and how much trust you should place on them if not an expert yourself.

Id like to see what experts are actually saying this. I cant recall anything ive read where experts were saying that but I might of missed it.

Listen to the TED interview posted earlier. 

The interviewed expert says just that, and that it's actually going to be an opportunity to fix a bunch of stuff that's wrong with the system right now but nobody would be willing to tackle without a good prod.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Listen to the TED interview posted earlier. 

The interviewed expert says just that, and that it's actually going to be an opportunity to fix a bunch of stuff that's wrong with the system right now but nobody would be willing to tackle without a good prod.

Thats one expert though. Theres experts around the world saying otherwise.

Not saying hes wrong. But its not like what he is saying is the consensus by any means. He seems to be in the small minority tbh.

28 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Your article is dated April, 7th.

Since then a lot happened, unfortunately...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/04/11/gop-leaders-refuse-democrats-coronavirus-demands-wont-negotiate-over-small-business-lending-program/

I mworried for the world even if we get out from under this corona thing.  I just read that there are supposed to be locust swarms 20 times the size of what happened in Africa.  Early action might do something about it, but we’re paralyzed by covid.  World on the brink of destruction isn’t going to stop when this is over.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Im curious as to what they would classify as "service industry workers". 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Service_industries

Service industry is someone who performs a service.  My assumption from this is delivery. Or cashiers, or truckers.  Less Long haul probably, though it might apply for travel to hot zones. or tradesmen. Generally those have to deal with the public.  People that travel to many houses.  People who put themselves in danger with all this.  I think the “hero” bit is more specific than the service bit.  This is one of those things that probably needs to be nailed down a lot more specifically.  It’s going to have to be or it will just wind up with the same issues the “stimulus” is having with one group trying to keep the money out of the hands of people who they don’t support while pressing it into the hands of those that do.  Vague terminology has been getting a lot of political weaponization lately

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I mworried for the world even if we get out from under this corona thing.  I just read that there are supposed to be locust swarms 20 times the size of what happened in Africa.  Early action might do something about it, but we’re paralyzed by covid.  World on the brink of destruction isn’t going to stop when this is over.

Tornado season too. I follow the news on it every year. Looks to be a tough one this time.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — The threat of strong tornadoes and other damaging weather on Easter posed a double-edged safety dilemma for Deep South communities deciding how to protect residents during the coronavirus pandemic.

An outbreak of severe thunderstorms was likely Sunday from Louisiana through the Tennessee Valley, the National Weather Service said. More than 4.5 million people live in the area where dangerous weather was most likely, including Birmingham and Jackson, Mississippi, the Storm Prediction Center said on its website.

The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency sent a tweet Saturday saying shelters would open. It encouraged residents entering one to wear masks, use hand sanitizer and stay 6 feet (2 meters) apart.Strong storms earlier in the week caused damage in the Midwest.

https://wset.com/news/nation-world/easter-tornado-threat-poses-safety-dilemma-during-pandemic

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

14 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

What you linked is a bunch of stas (in Italian) on a sample of 2003 deceased people with Covid-19. It breaks down the sample along a number of dimensions (men and woman, other medical conditions, age, location, etc).

It makes no claims whatsoever. That includes making no claims about "improperly accounting" deaths, and of course, even less that being 99%.

Wherever you read that from, if the supposed source was that link, then they were basically bullshitting. 

So the deaths linked there wasn't even related to the covid 19 we are dealing with? 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Service_industries

Service industry is someone who performs a service.  My assumption from this is delivery. Or cashiers, or truckers.  Less Long haul probably, though it might apply for travel to hot zones. or tradesmen. Generally those have to deal with the public.  People that travel to many houses.  People who put themselves in danger with all this.  I think the “hero” bit is more specific than the service bit.  This is one of those things that probably needs to be nailed down a lot more specifically.  It’s going to have to be or it will just wind up with the same issues the “stimulus” is having with one group trying to keep the money out of the hands of people who they don’t support while pressing it into the hands of those that do.  Vague terminology has been getting a lot of political weaponization lately

Yea the bill will never pass if they include literally just every person that falls under that definition. Hell in my company alone they would be paying 1.25 million alone. My town alone would be a few billion. Not that people working during all this dont deserve something but financially that amount of money doesnt make much sense imo.

43 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So the deaths linked there wasn't even related to the covid 19 we are dealing with? 

They were related. As I said, it's data on 2003 patients with covid-19 that died. It's just data with no analysis, though, so there are no claims regarding the contribution of the coronavirus (or anything else for that matter) to their demise. Although some of the conditions aren't deadly on their own.

Norton by Symantec successfully detect and block the malware SARS-Cov-2...or does it? xD

I'm not sure if @leadeater , @wkdpaul , @colonel_mortis or any sysadmin approves of a Norton powered face mask :D

92692931_10101552621672469_3044580450732343296_n.jpg.37cd22be985844c9fe0218c9efb7ef6f.jpg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Dang. And I heard SF was doing well.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

46 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

As much as I'd love to run with the "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" nature of most of the things that comes out of San Fran, realistically they've been lightly touched compared to a lot of other places. Apparently even the hobos vacated when the first cases started showing up. Most likely reason is San Fran area is known for its land price problems because they don't allow much high-rise apartments and all of the older population doesn't live close to the city.

Dense, high-population concentration areas, where residents require a lot more group surface contact to operate daily, the virus has spread quickly. In medium or lower density areas, the virus has spread but hasn't been able to easily take root. Which is also probably why we should expect the China death toll to come in actually closer to 150-300k when information finally gets out.

2 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

So glad I live in Australia,  latest road use statistics (we have automated road usage counters all over the place that track number of vehicles) show that over Easter we only had 13% of the normal Easter traffic, which means 87% of people stayed home.  We need 80% stay home compliance to effectively keep this corona at bay.   It seems to be working really well here too.  only 61 dead, 6300 total and 3400 recovered with 83 in ICU across the country.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

American exceptionalism. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

So it seems there is some reality in the theory of using your POO to diagnose your illness.

How your poo could be key to relaxing coronavirus restrictions

https://www.theage.com.au/national/how-your-poo-could-be-key-to-relaxing-coronavirus-restrictions-20200413-p54jfe.html

Whilst the theory sounds reasonable for generic detection in a community, the locale of infection would not be very specific.

Some calculations about why continued isolation is important as long as necessary and simplified impact on economy:

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Rohime said:

How your poo could be key to relaxing coronavirus restrictions

@Rohime Your post did not meet the Tech News guidelines and poo analysis isn't the sort of 'technology' this forum covers (we have a focus on technology relating to PCs, smart devices, etc). I've merged your post in with the existing Covid-19 discussion thread where it seems it would be better suited for discussion.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

where it seems it would be better suited for discussion

i would COMPLETELY disagree with that statement.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

29 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i would COMPLETELY disagree with that statement.

Why? 💩

Any discussion about how countries are trying to better manage the spread should be discussed here...

Australia already tests waste at waste treatment facilities and uses it to track things such as drug use. They can get an estimation of how prevalent drug use is in a particular community/waste treatment area and they can use that information to better target their resources to combating it. If they can also test for COVID-19 at the same time, and better yet get a rough estimation of how many people are affected, then it would be a valuable source of information and relatively cheap to test for since you can do an entire community at once on a large scale and the testing is already being performed so it should be very inexpensive. The article mentions that it might be possible to test for it only 3 days after contracting the virus, several days prior to people showing signs of symptoms, so that could help identify clusters of infections before people become symptomatic which would be invaluable for managing the spread further.

Could also be very helpful in 12+ months time for identifying any new clusters that may appear after the first wave of infections.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Wish test rates would be reported everywhere not just America, its dangerous to say there less cases now daily when you reduce testing daily, its misleading and dangerous.

The statements I’ve been seeing seem to concur that mass testing is absolutely critical.  The US may be reporting a “lot” of tests being done but the numbers are still tiny relative to population.  Talk of improved testing has been made but evidence of it actually happening is scarce.  In the US testing seems to remain primarily relegated to the already sick, the wealthy, and privelidged.  I’m actually kind of liking the poo attempt.  It’s not nearly specific enough, but it’s an improvement on nothing at all.  Less than half a loaf but more than nothing.