COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
43 minutes ago, Deli said:

Do you feel unease for getting stuck at home for so long?

It's been four weeks I work mostly at home. Besides I go to the office once a week and do grocery shopping. I barely leave my apartment. I start to feel a bit depressed, to be honest. It feels like ages, like years, that I wander in the wood, go fishing or visiting friends.

Nearly every one of my hobbies is outside: Motorcycling, photography, going out to the firing range/hunting, so it's been quite a departure from my regular activities. But, I don't want to get sick and I especially have members in my household that I don't want to be sick, so I go with the shelter-in-place orders.

After the first two weeks it became easier, and I've been able to keep fairly busy with work so that makes the time go quicker.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

we've resorted to fines and possibly jail time here. that's how nutso the social situation is

Honestly, that's how it should be.  I've seen too many instances of people clearly ignoring the social distancing rules (friends hanging out, impatient shoppers) because they either don't feel the rules apply to them or simply don't care.  They're knowingly endangering lives; if they ignore warnings, we should be allowed to call the police on them and have them arrested.

two additional reading on navigating information/data on COVID-19

1: (direct link: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-comic-strip-tour-of-the-wild-world-of-pandemic-modeling/ )

That's a very nice explanation of what modelling is :) 

Although it does  have a slightly (just slightly) grim view on the challenges of building a model, not uncommon in members of disciplines where lab experiments are much more common (and feasible) than in economics or other social sciences.

At any rate, a good account for the general public (or, at least, the kind of audience that would land in SMBC anyway).

"All models are wrong; it's striving to make them less wrong and useful at the moment"

Also, "good models are wrong" and "a model should not aim at realism but usefulness" :D 

23 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Well... Glad to read that your situation is more or less resolved and that much of the stress related to uncertainty in the future is, for now, adressed. Your company won't close, you'll keep your job and most of your colleagues, whether bue or white collar, will keep their jobs.

That's at least a good news in a grim day 🙂

It's also just the two of us in my office, so even if I need to go in to maintain the computer system or do work I cannot accomplish here at home, I can still quite effectively socially-distance. Then I can hop on my motorcycle at the end of the day and come home, also distanced.

The situation has also given me and my friends a bit more time to "catch up" over the phone, which has been nice for all of us. Since we're all working from home, it's easier to set 20-30 minutes aside during the day to make a phone call. It's become apparent to me that we have to find the silver linings in all this if we want to maintain some optimism.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Nearly every one of my hobbies is outside: Motorcycling, photography, going out to the firing range/hunting, so it's been quite a departure from my regular activities. But, I don't want to get sick and I especially have members in my household that I don't want to be sick, so I go with the shelter-in-place orders.

After the first two weeks it became easier, and I've been able to keep fairly busy with work so that makes the time go quicker.

Photography is largely a solitary activity for me, so social distancing is pretty much non-issue. Though parks that are gated are closed, there’s plenty of remote areas to wander in. Street photography, while probably presenting some unique opportunities now, is likely to result in a bit of a confrontation with police unless you’re one of those people that are into parkour. 😛

edit: kind of tempting now to go into San Francisco for some street photography. 

Should local stores start requiring face coverings, would it be acceptable to go full Darth Vader?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

Honestly, that's how it should be.  I've seen too many instances of people clearly ignoring the social distancing rules (friends hanging out, impatient shoppers) because they either don't feel the rules apply to them or simply don't care.  They're knowingly endangering lives; if they ignore warnings, we should be allowed to call the police on them and have them arrested.

In the beginning the police were saying there were not going to be any fines or arrests for violating stay at home orders. If there aren't any arrests or penalties, people who choose not to follow stay home orders and social distancing will have no reason for them to start following them.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That's a very nice explanation of what modelling is :) 

Although it does  have a slightly (just slightly) grim view on the challenges of building a model, not uncommon in members of disciplines where lab experiments are much more common (and feasible) than in economics or other social sciences.

At any rate, a good account for the general public (or, at least, the kind of audience that would land in SMBC anyway).

Also, "good models are wrong" and "a model should not aim at realism but usefulness" :D 

The only way I can think of to get accurate numbers and to access the situation and make accurate predictions is to increase testing like shown in the comic some countries are doing really well with testing while others are not. In the US we are not doing well with testing.

• My system specs
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Photography is largely a solitary activity for me, so social distancing is pretty much non-issue. Though parks that are gated are closed, there’s plenty of remote areas to wander in. Street photography, while probably presenting some unique opportunities now, is likely to result in a bit of a confrontation with police unless you’re one of those people that are into parkour. 😛

edit: kind of tempting now to go into San Francisco for some street photography. 

Should local stores start requiring face coverings, would it be acceptable to go full Darth Vader?

I do a lot of landscape and wildlife photography, but all the parks are closed here. There are still too many dunderheads walking around for me to want to do any street photography right now, haha. 

I'll just keep walking around with a full-face helmet on when I get the mail and etc., seems like a convenient thing seeing as I'm on the motorcycle anyway.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, Thomas001 said:

In the beginning the police were saying there were not going to be any fines or arrests for violating stay at home orders. If there aren't any arrests or penalties, people who choose not to follow stay home orders and social distancing will have no reason for them to start following them.

That's part of it.  But another part, I suspect, is that many of them genuinely don't understand the threat or think they'll be fine since they're young or fit.  They really are waiting for their friends and family to be carried out in bodybags before they learn anything, and that's scary.

2 hours ago, Thomas001 said:

Problem is most places dont have the resources to have police just roam around asking people what they are doing and where they are going. Not to mention all you have to do is say your going to the store for food and they cant ticket you.

Arrests wouldn't make sense either since a lot of areas are already releasing non violent inmates as is. Costs a lot of money to keep people in jail. Thats not money that they want to pay for non violent crimes.

Not to mention its going to be hard to actually have those fines held up in court (atleast in the states) we have already seen people get fined and courts throw it out. They dont really want to be wasting that money with 0 results.

Even with social distancing the risks are still there. the best you can do is just worry about what you personally are doing. Im an essential worker who has to be around people. Im obv not hugging people or shaking their hands but im also not going to start running if someone gets near me. The chances of me having any issues even if i get it are almost 0. And anyone I can transfer it to are knowingly putting themselves at that risk. So thats on them. Not me.

1 minute ago, RonnieOP said:

Problem is most places dont have the resources to have police just roam around asking people what they are doing and where they are going. Not to mention all you have to do is say your going to the store for food and they cant ticket you.

Arrests wouldn't make sense either since a lot of areas are already releasing non violent inmates as is. Costs a lot of money to keep people in jail. Thats not money that they want to pay for non violent crimes.

Not to mention its going to be hard to actually have those fines held up in court (atleast in the states) we have already seen people get fined and courts throw it out. They dont really want to be wasting that money with 0 results.

Even with social distancing the risks are still there. the best you can do is just worry about what you personally are doing. Im an essential worker who has to be around people. Im obv not hugging people or shaking their hands but im also not going to start running if someone gets near me. The chances of me having any issues even if i get it are almost 0. And anyone I can transfer it to are knowingly putting themselves at that risk. So thats on them. Not me.

That might explain the beatings in India.  They don’t have the time or money to incarcerate, so street justice.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

That might explain the beatings in India.  They don’t have the time or money to incarcerate, so street justice.

I know very little about India. I cant tell you if beatings are common or not or what their justice system is like on a normal day.

I do know that if they tried that shit here that it would be the second civil war lol.

7 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Even with social distancing the risks are still there.

I didn't know that, good to know.

9 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I think here in California if I am right they are not doing that

• My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

6 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I know very little about India. I cant tell you if beatings are common or not or what their justice system is like on a normal day.

I do know that if they tried that shit here that it would be the second civil war lol.

So mob rule and breakdown of society.  people are going to ignore distancing orders and make things worse.  The thing folks forget about police is they’re not there to cause violence they’re there to prevent excessive violence.  A beating is better than being shot by a vigilante.  Lynchings have happened in the US.

Im remembering those gangs of youth in Germany who would deliberately cough on old people.  That didn’t last long.  It got broken up by cops.  That’s because they would eventually cough on the wrong old person who would come back with a flame thrower.  The cops that broke that one up weren’t saving the old people they were saving the kids FROM the old people.  Society works better with police. There have been places that had no police.  It was a whole lot worse.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Thomas001 said:

I didn't know that, good to know.

I think here in California if I am right they are not doing that

CA released 3500 inmates last month iirc.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

Sounds right.  Sentances end.  They release people every month.  

Just now, Bombastinator said:

So mob rule and breakdown of society.  people are going to ignore distancing orders and make things worse.  The thing folks forget about police is they’re not there to cause violence they’re there to prevent excessive violence.  A beating is better than being shot by a vigilante.  Lynchings have happened in the US.

Im remembering those gangs of youth in Germany who would deliberately cough on old people.  That didn’t last long.  It got broken up by cops.  That’s because they would eventually cough on the wrong old person who would come back with a flame thrower.  The cops that broke that one up weren’t saving the old people they were saving the kids FROM the old people.  Society works better with police. There have been places that had no police.  It was a whole lot worse.

You cant beat people and then say you are trying to prevent violence. It doesnt matter if they are police or not. People will not stand for that at all. Crime is already on the rise and throw in police brutality and youd just have civilians and cops being killed left and right everyday.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Sounds right.  Sentances end.  They release people every month.  

That wasnt inmates just doing their time and leaving. That was inmates being released early due to virus concerns. im sure they have released alot more then 3500 in the past month outside of that.

7 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

It happen really recently too.

• My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

8 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

It happen really recently to.

It actually doesnt make a lot of sense to me either. In prison they had 3 meals, a roof, etc. Release them early and with everything going on theres not much support for them to get on their feet. So your basically adding to the homeless problem at the worst time.

Now alot of those inmates probably have family they just went and stayed with so maybe that was a deciding factor on who got released as well.

During normal times they would just release you. I was woken up at midnight once and told to get ready to leave and they literally just had me walk out the front door. Didnt care where I went or if I had a place to go.

3 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

It actually doesnt make a lot of sense to me either. In prison they had 3 meals, a rough, etc. Release them early and with everything going on theres not much support for them to get on their feet. So your basically adding to the homeless problem at the worst time.

That's exactly what the San Joaquin County Sheriff's said. Take a look at the press release they made on Facebook 

• My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

I've posted previously several articles about the "new" symptoms of Covid-19.

They found out a new one found more with the young ones (teenagers, young adults): lesions on the feet.

Here is a picture. Don't look if you don't like this kind of graphic stuff

Spoiler

topelement.jpg

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

I've posted previously several articles about the "new" symptoms of Covid-19.

I did not know that there were new symptoms.

• My system specs
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • ROG PG279Q
  • ROG Sica

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Police brutality goes over very poorly here, and there's no need to look further than the '92 L.A. riots after the police beating of Rodney King. I agree that people defying shelter in place and other orders should be punished, but it should be done in a constitutionally/legally-acceptable manner.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, Thomas001 said:

I did not know that there were new symptoms.

There are several. Look in the previously posted articles (mainly by me)...