How is the neo g8 compared to the 34 inch alienware qdoled?

heckboi

I am planning on upgrading from a 34 inch 2560x1080 60hz panel and I'm stuck between the two above choices. I am leaning towards the g8 for now since it is 100$ cheaper. I am just wondering if a qd oled is worth the extra money at a "lower ppi" especially for someone like me who is having such a relatively high jump

Can you please provide full model names/product numbers?

I assume by 34" Alienware you mean the AW3423DWF? By Neo G8, do you mean the 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 S32BG85 —or— the Odyssey OLED G8/G85SB S34BG85 (which is 34")?

Whether OLED is worth it depends on what you're after. OLED should give you much better image quality for gaming/movies, especially for HDR. What are you trying to get out of the update other than a higher resolution?

As always with monitors I'd recommend to read some reviews:

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

42 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Can you please provide full model names/product numbers?

I assume by 34" Alienware you mean the AW3423DWF? By Neo G8, do you mean the 32" Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 S32BG85 —or— the Odyssey OLED G8/G85SB S34BG85 (which is 34")?

Whether OLED is worth it depends on what you're after. OLED should give you much better image quality for gaming/movies, especially for HDR. What are you trying to get out of the update other than a higher resolution?

As always with monitors I'd recommend to read some reviews:

yes to the alienware and yes to the 32'' samsung. As for what i want from the upgrade, higher refresh rates, higher resolution and a high enough brightness that i wouldnt have to even consider upgrading for the next 10-15 years, in that order. For now im planning on pairing it with a used 3080 (subject to change)

I have the Samsung Neo G8 and its picture quality is mediocre when compared to my MacBook Pro (miniLED glossy), LG C1 (OLED), and the Apple Studio Display (IPS glossy). I only kept it because I really like the curve and it's high refresh 4K.

I would get the Alienware for better immersion and better picture quality.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

7 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I have the Samsung Neo G8 and its picture quality is mediocre when compared to my MacBook Pro (miniLED glossy), LG C1 (OLED), and the Apple Studio Display (IPS glossy). I only kept it because I really like the curve and it's high refresh 4K.

I would get the Alienware for better immersion and better picture quality.

When i was researching monitors a while back i saw people saying that a 1440p monitor at 34 inches isnt super ideal because of the ppi. Is that as much an issue as people are making it out to be or is it overblown?

14 minutes ago, heckboi said:

When i was researching monitors a while back i saw people saying that a 1440p monitor at 34 inches isnt super ideal because of the ppi. Is that as much an issue as people are making it out to be or is it overblown?

34-inch 3440x1440 is the same PPI as 27-inch 2560x1440

It's fine - it's the ideal PPI for UI elements on MacOS and for most people.

I personally like having higher PPI specifically for productivity at work. 1440p is not enough for having multiple documents open. But for gaming at home, it's not a problem staying at 1440p.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, heckboi said:

As for what i want from the upgrade, higher refresh rates, higher resolution and a high enough brightness that i wouldnt have to even consider upgrading for the next 10-15 years, in that order. For now im planning on pairing it with a used 3080 (subject to change)

Brightness tends to be somewhat of a sore spot with OLED, you can also see that's the one point the Alienware loses out to the Neo G8 in the rtings review. Every other metric is superior. The other thing to keep in mind is that OLED isn't really suited to desktop use and there is the risk of burn-in.

The Neo G8 has better refresh rate, but personally I don't think 240 Hz will make a huge difference compared to 165 Hz. Especially given the higher resolution, because it's questionably how often you'll be able to hit high enough frame rates. 4K will require more GPU power now and in the future.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Brightness tends to be somewhat of a sore spot with OLED, you can also see that's the one point the Alienware loses out to the Neo G8 in the rtings review. Every other metric is superior. The other thing to keep in mind is that OLED isn't really suited to desktop use and there is the risk of burn-in.

The Neo G8 has better refresh rate, but personally I don't think 240 Hz will make a huge difference compared to 165 Hz. Especially given the higher resolution, because it's questionably how often you'll be able to hit high enough frame rates. 4K will require more GPU power now and in the future.

considering my current monitor tops out at like 300 cd/m im not sure i would notice the difference. The only things giving me pause on the neo g8 is being able to drive the 4k display in the future and the really aggresive curve on the monitor

Completely different form factor, Ou want wide or uw is the question first.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Vaxee XE wired | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Completely different form factor, Ou want wide or uw is the question first.

My current monitor is an ultrawide. Im not so in love with the format that im committed to running ultrawides for the rest of my life and i dont hate them enough to never use them again. It honestly doesnt make a huge difference to me

3 minutes ago, heckboi said:

My current monitor is an ultrawide. Im not so in love with the format that im committed to running ultrawides for the rest of my life and i dont hate them enough to never use them again. It honestly doesnt make a huge difference to me

Well I like 16:9 as it's properly supported for everything and I for online fps games. Also buying a higher quality monitor now I'd go OLED mainly. Would avoid VA and some TN if for esports, or some IPS ones, then again those cost as OLEDs now and faster OLEDs are here soon as well.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Vaxee XE wired | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I can answer that one. One week ago I tried the AW3423AWF to replace my LG 34GN850. What a disappointment, I game and work on my monitor and the text was pretty bad, way worse than on my LG. I did try a little gaming on DIV 2 with HDR and I was blown away. This is a gaming monitor, nothing more. And being an OLED, it comes with the caveats of an OLED, burn-in. I just bought a Neo G8 on sale, what a great monitor. It is not perfect but the text is crisp, the colors are good but not OLED good, HDR is great and you can work on it. The monitor has a big curve so not every one will like it, I personally don't mind. And this being a VA panel, it is for the best to have such a curve.

43 minutes ago, thequebecerinfrance said:

I can answer that one. One week ago I tried the AW3423AWF to replace my LG 34GN850. What a disappointment, I game and work on my monitor and the text was pretty bad, way worse than on my LG. I did try a little gaming on DIV 2 with HDR and I was blown away. This is a gaming monitor, nothing more. And being an OLED, it comes with the caveats of an OLED, burn-in. I just bought a Neo G8 on sale, what a great monitor. It is not perfect but the text is crisp, the colors are good but not OLED good, HDR is great and you can work on it. The monitor has a big curve so not every one will like it, I personally don't mind. And this being a VA panel, it is for the best to have such a curve.

Its funny, the curve was the reason i ultimately went with the OLED. My family and i watch movies on my monitor, and having such an aggressive curve would make for a poorer viewing experience for everyone. And with regards to text clarity, i doubt it can be get worse than my current 34'' 2560x1080 monitor

22 minutes ago, heckboi said:

Its funny, the curve was the reason i ultimately went with the OLED. My family and i watch movies on my monitor, and having such an aggressive curve would make for a poorer viewing experience for everyone. And with regards to text clarity, i doubt it can be get worse than my current 34'' 2560x1080 monitor

There is no way you can watch movies with your family on this monitor. But I did not want to deal with an Oled monitor for work, this was the best choice for me.