COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
16 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

If you are in the US check your bank accounts.

At lunch today my buddy asked the table to check theirs and we all had gotten the stimulus deposit.

I checked earlier today, and I had received my deposit.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, PhantomJaguar77 said:

SF is dense. Visited there a few times in the past. And New York, I'm guessing you mean New York City? Because one of the first clusters in the State of New York was Westchester county. It showed that one or two people who were infected attended dense gatherings with hundreds of people so the virus spread rapidly. So it can happen in rural counties as well. Heard this from Governor Cuomo during his latest coronavirus update in New York. California was the first State to issue its stay-at-home order and that helped in the long run for its dense cities and rural counties.

Been to both SF and NewYork.  SF is still less dense than NY.  It’s denser than a lot of places though.  Minneapolis/Saint Paul is an interesting example.  Minneapolis is significantly larger and much more dense than Saint Paul and it’s got a much bigger problem atm.  It also has a lot more low income housing and more homeless.  I saw a set of statistics recently that looked like they put African Americans in much greater danger than caucasians.  It had nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with lack of shelter and available employment.  Stay-at-home and social distancing is fine, if it’s possible.  For large sections of the poorer citizenry it’s not possible because the available resources either don’t exist, are of much poorer quality, or simple employment, often to support those who DO have proper shelter, requires leaving them.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:53 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/nyu-scientists-largest-us-study-of-covid-19-finds-obesity-the-single-biggest-factor-in-new-york-citys-hospitalizations/ar-BB12wALz

Original study: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.08.20057794v1

Probably more important for our discussion: 

nyu-decision-tree-for-covid-cases.jpg

This is USA data, obviously, and most of the sub-section data is pretty thin. So some of it might change over time on the edge-cases. Still, chronic health issues is the biggest predictor of hospitalization. 

Correlation is not causality.  That mistake is how we got idiots burning down 5g towers.  Obesity correlated with a lot of things that are also risk factors like copd, diabetes, and age.  Also income.  

On 4/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, Cora_Lie said:

That is what I was asking for and what wasn't clear for me 🙂

Thanks for answering my question 🙂

And yes, I agree with you regarding the :

🙂

But I didn’t.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The early stay at home order did help, but it doesn't mean for those people to be outside. If everyone can work together and do their part by staying inside, the sooner things will begin to reopen, and everyone can get back to their normal lives.

Will it ever be normal like before, most likely not, but as normal as possible.

The video I posted from SF triggered me for these reasons. I hope Governor Newsom addresses this occurrence specifically in his next coronavirus update for the State and emphasizes the importance of continuing the stay-at home order like he's been doing already. 

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Been to both SF and NewYork.  SF is still less dense than NY.  It’s denser than a lot of places though.  Minneapolis/Saint Paul is an interesting example.  Minneapolis is significantly larger and much more dense than Saint Paul and it’s got a much bigger problem atm.  It also has a lot more low income housing and more homeless.  I saw a set of statistics recently that looked like they put African Americans in much greater danger than caucasians.  It had nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with lack of shelter and available employment.  Stay-at-home and social distancing is fine, if it’s possible.  For large sections of the poorer citizenry it’s not possible because the available resources either don’t exist, are of much poorer quality, or simple employment, often to support those who DO have proper shelter, requires leaving them.

I visited New York City as well a couple years back. Went to Manhattan and Brooklyn. I still think SF could have met NYC's fate if not for the quick action of the earlier stay-at-home order. My county is setting up the convention center as a homeless shelter where our famous Comic-Con convention is usually held. Meanwhile, in Las Vegas they had set up a make-shift shelter for the homeless to sleep on a parking lot because the original shelter had a coronavirus case. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/las-vegas-parking-lot-homeless-shelter

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

10 hours ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Wish test rates would be reported everywhere not just America, its dangerous to say there less cases now daily when you reduce testing daily, its misleading and dangerous.

I don;t know what the media in the US is like, but here they don't report US testing numbers at all, just ours and the number of infections in other places. 

To the rest of the thread, SF pop density is not low enough to warrant relaxing isolation orders. being less than NY is irrelevant when the virus only needs people to be out and about to spread.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don;t know what the media in the US is like, but here they don't report US testing numbers at all, just ours and the number of infections in other places. 

To the rest of the thread, SF pop density is not low enough to warrant relaxing isolation orders. being less than NY is irrelevant when the virus only needs people to be out and about to spread.

Its kinda relevant.

I dont think its a coincidence that areas that heavily use various public transit and have people basically living on top of one another are being hit alot harder then areas where people are more spread out and people can get to work without interacting with hundreds of people in a cramped subway or train.

Also areas that have alot of international travelers come through seem to be having more issues as well.

My area is lucky that this happened in winter when tourists are a small fraction of what they would be any other time of the year, public transportation here is pretty shit so most people have their own cars, and outside of downtown its a rural area.

This virus has done very little here. 

37 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Its kinda relevant.

I dont think its a coincidence that areas that heavily use various public transit and have people basically living on top of one another are being hit alot harder then areas where people are more spread out and people can get to work without interacting with hundreds of people in a cramped subway or train.

Also areas that have alot of international travelers come through seem to be having more issues as well.

My area is lucky that this happened in winter when tourists are a small fraction of what they would be any other time of the year, public transportation here is pretty shit so most people have their own cars, and outside of downtown its a rural area.

But the population density of any place doesn't dictate the minimum isolation requirements to stop the spread.  Unless you know what the threshold is,  making claims about SF being ok to ignore stay at home orders is basically guessing.

In reality SF pop density is an order of magnitude above Melbourne's (Australia's highest pop density area) and we have banned all non essential travel to the point of fines.  We now only have 200 Active cases in Victoria.  Population density plays a minor role in the spread equation if people aren't reducing unnecessary travel.

Also other metrics play a higher role, like wealth and travel, areas with higher numbers of international travelers have higher rates of infection (even though they have lower pop densities),  areas with places of mass gathering (beaches, stadiums) have higher rates too.  It's not just the population density that causes the issue and with a virus like this using it as the guiding factor

for relaxing isolation measures is not advisable.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

52 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Its kinda relevant.

My state was a hotspot for a while.  The town that put it on the map was Farmington.  not only not large, it’s only public transit was busses which weren’t used a lot.  It’s got like 30k people in it.  Far south eastern suburb of mnpls/st paul.

The state is no longer considered a hotspot. 

Probability is not a guarantee.  SF doesn’t have subways and people travel more often by car because of urban sprawl.  It’s got beaches and clubs though.  And a pretty built up urban center.  Some big big buildings there.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

My state was a hotspot for a while.  The town that put it on the map was Farmington.  not only not large, it’s only public transit was busses which weren’t used a lot.  It’s got like 30k people in it.  Far south eastern suburb of mnpls/st paul.

The state is no longer considered a hotspot. 

Probability is not a guarantee.  SF doesn’t have subways and people travel more often by car because of urban sprawl.  It’s got beaches and clubs though.  And a pretty built up urban center.  Some big big buildings there.

Yea when i speak about opening up im never saying that all areas should be working on it right now. Places like NYC are going to be hurting a good while. The way they are set up theres no way to ease restrictions. When you have to share an elevator with 10 other people every time you leave your home and then take a subway with 100 other people touching you, etc its just going to be damn near impossible to ease restrictions anytime soon. 

9 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

SF is dense. Visited there a few times in the past. And New York, I'm guessing you mean New York City? Because one of the first clusters in the State of New York was Westchester county. It showed that one or two people who were infected attended dense gatherings with hundreds of people so the virus spread rapidly. So it can happen in rural counties as well. Heard this from Governor Cuomo during his latest coronavirus update in New York. California was the first State to issue its stay-at-home order and that helped in the long run for its dense cities and rural counties.

Wait don't working poor get returns? 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

46 minutes ago, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Hmmmm https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6  Started showing testing rate tab but only for the US so far.

that's most likely because other countries aren't sending them that data, where as it being a US service can obtain the data direct from a local source (like the CDC or internal working group).   I would hazard if they could get access to that data direct from our front line statisticians they'd likely keep it live too. 

12 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s apparently dependent on several factors.  Whether you filed taxes last year (many lower income people don’t because it’s always zero) how you set up your return (some sort of electronic thing) if you have a bank account in the first place (again a lot of lower income people don’t)  If all your ducks happen to be in a row though, sure.

12 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

If you are in the US check your bank accounts.

At lunch today my buddy asked the table to check theirs and we all had gotten the stimulus deposit.

12 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I checked earlier today, and I had received my deposit.

Damn, lucky y'all.  I file online every year with Turbo Tax.  I still haven't received my check.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wow reading this actually made me a lot less stressed about myself dying, but more of infecting other people, i wouldn't be that surprised if i became an asymptomatic carrier and didn't even know. i work in a high foot traffic job that alot of boomers go to, so i guess its time to start wearing a mask 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

32 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Damn, lucky y'all.  I file online every year with Turbo Tax.  I still haven't received my check.

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully by Friday. 

Also, some stores in my county are now requiring customers to wear masks before entering the store. Curious to see how this goes when I go to work tomorrow ..

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

14 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

two additional reading on navigating information/data on COVID-19

1: (direct link: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-comic-strip-tour-of-the-wild-world-of-pandemic-modeling/ )

1586790433-20200413b.png

"All models are wrong; it's striving to make them less wrong and useful at the moment"

That's a really long way to both confuse those who already didn't understand and put off educating the people who probably already do understanding but hold a different perspective on the subject.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

frankly a lot more people should do this ._. we got a visible number of karens and zoomers not giving two shits about it

yeah that's one of the problems in general that's not specific to this article. to be fair its primary objective isn't to "convert unbelievers", but having to convince someone who doesn't take this seriously is a science communication task in of itself

we've resorted to fines and possibly jail time here. that's how nutso the social situation is

It's usually a catch 22,  some people don't understand the science so you have to simplify it for them, but the act of simplifying it means they think they can debate it using superficial reasoning because "it's not that complex".      

Fortunately I have never been worried about the virus itself (more concerned with problems generated as the average person tries to deal with it), but if there is anything in that comic I can learn then it will become apparent to me over he next few hours/days as I digest the information and compare it to what information I already have.

43 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I file with TurboTax as well, I’m sure it’s on the way to you. If you do direct deposit it should be within the next few days, if you request a physical check then it could take another week so i’ve heard.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, atxcyclist said:

I file with TurboTax as well, I’m sure it’s on the way to you. If you do direct deposit it should be within the next few days, if you request a physical check then it could take another week so i’ve heard.

do I have to go to the IRS's website and do anything extra?  I thought it would be automatically sent out based on how you did your taxes

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

we've resorted to fines and possibly jail time here. that's how nutso the social situation is

You should see what Costa Rica has been doing. Verses my area. 😱

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

do I have to go to the IRS's website and do anything extra?  I thought it would be automatically sent out based on how you did your taxes

I didn’t do anything extra, my last name is close to the front of the alphabet so it could be that, but I also bank with a credit union and direct deposits tend to get into my account a day earlier than with a traditional bank. It may be sitting in your account in just a few hours, there really hasn’t been much information on how they will be distributing them.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Just now, atxcyclist said:

I didn’t do anything extra, my last name is close to the front of the alphabet so it could be that, but I also bank with a credit union and direct deposits tend to get into my account a day earlier than with a traditional bank. It may be sitting in your account in just a few hours, there really hasn’t been much information on how they will be distributing them.

Fair enough.  I'm hoping to hear something soon.  Continued income isn't too much of a concern considering my career, but it would be nice to have for emergencies. 

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

Fair enough.  I'm hoping to hear something soon.  Continued income isn't too much of a concern considering my career, but it would be nice to have for emergencies. 

I’ve been lucky and have been able to work from home nearly as effectively as at my office, so i have been getting an income. My office owner received clarification from the county judge yesterday that we’re considered essential, as we work in architectural building design and have current medical facility projects (my guess as to why, they didn’t specify on our confirmation response), so I could go to the office if needed; I’m still going to work from home as much as I absolutely can though, been socially-distanced for 5-6 weeks now, and been home for the last two. No reason to stop now.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

It has to do with how the bank account is linked

9 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I’ve been lucky and have been able to work from home nearly as effectively as at my office, so i have been getting an income. My office owner received clarification from the county judge yesterday that we’re considered essential, as we work in architectural building design and have current medical facility projects (my guess as to why, they didn’t specify on our confirmation response), so I could go to the office if needed; I’m still going to work from home as much as I absolutely can though, been socially-distanced for 5-6 weeks now, and been home for the last two. No reason to stop now.

Do you feel unease for getting stuck at home for so long?

It's been four weeks I work mostly at home. Besides I go to the office once a week and do grocery shopping. I barely leave my apartment. I start to feel a bit depressed, to be honest. It feels like ages ago, like years, that I wander in the wood, go fishing or visiting friends.

9 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I think most people with direct deposit will have it in the next few days. They are rolling those out really fast.

9 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Well... Glad to read that your situation is more or less resolved and that much of the stress related to uncertainty in the future is, for now, adressed. Your company won't close, you'll keep your job and most of your colleagues, whether bue or white collar, will keep their jobs.

That's at least a good news in a grim day 🙂