COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul

Miramar base around the corner.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 hour ago, Canoe said:

The U.S. had advance notice that the U.S. was likely seeded, but orders from on high were to not test. It took a doctor in the NW to defy that order before the U.S. detected that there clusters in the U.S.. Even then testing was delayed, while those unware they were infected were going around infecting others.

What is mind boggling to me is the military bases are reacting far harder to this virus than the local govs.  (note, I work on a base)

It is like the local civi side here is a week or more delay behind what the military is doing on restrictions and protocols.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Found on social media...

The devil whispered in my ear, "You're not strong enough to weather the storm."

And I answered, "Six feet back mother fucker!"

This coronara virus is the longest I've seen anything from China last.

58 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

What is mind boggling to me is the military bases are reacting far harder to this virus than the local govs.  (note, I work on a base) It is like the local civi side here is a week or more delay behind what the military is doing on restrictions and protocols.

They have a bit of a different level of requirment to be operational. "We're down" is not an option.

11 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Just in time for...

Why are people still taking cruises right now? Why are cruise lines still operating? I would have thought The Netherlands would have docked all the cruise lines that port there a while back.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

7 hours ago, homeofmew said:

As of CDT 2 pm 24 March 2020
413947 cases
18 568 Dead

~4.4%

Also if you would like to see what the mortality rate likely is than look at south Korea. They have the highest rate of testing and were able to stop the spread from completely overrunning their healthcare system. For them it is only slightly over 1%. Still deadly but I would take 1 in 100 over 5 in 100. 

In Italy, some have had enough...

My new favourite thing is Italian mayors and regional presidents LOSING IT at people violating quarantine. Here's an eng subtitled compilation. "I hear you wanna throw graduation parties. I'm gonna send the police over. With flamethrowers."

https://twitter.com/protectheflames/status/1241403715036291072

Not completely comprehensive (i.e., gives the typical range of two days to 14 days, instead of the full range of hours to 27 or 29 days), but a good and detailed overview.

Lungs under COVID-19

16 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Unconfirmed reports of two toddlers in Florida...

Unconfirmed toddler here also, the father was tested positive and the family was in self quarantine, apparently the toddler started to show symptoms so the mom called 911.

The mom and toddler are now hospitalized, I don't have more than that.

EDIT ;

2 months old 

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/2-month-old-baby-brought-to-hospital-after-showing-signs-of-covid-19-1.4865618

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Italian engineers are turning scuba diving masks into ventilators to help hospitals battle the coronavirus pandemic.Start-up Italian 3D printer business Isinnova had already helped a hospital print replacement ventilator valves.But now the firm has started making a 3D printed adapter capable of converting a snorkeling mask into a functional C-PAP mask for oxygen therapy which is critical to help people with severe cases of COVID-19.

spacer.png

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-incredible-hack-turning-scuba-21746459

improvise. adapt. overcome.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

God damn, I didn't look at the news for a day and suddenly we have more cases than anywhere else in Canada... 

1013 reported cases in Quebec so far.

closest second is 617 in BC and Ontario in third with 588...

(likely not up to date considering it's 30 minutes to midnight...)

Not sure if we just tested a lot more people or what... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

I once wore my Tyvek body suit, full-face respirator and arm-length aquarium gloves for Halloween. Thought I was being smart; "guy changes diaper". Panicked a school full of teen moms who thought there was some sort of contamination going on. 😳

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also if you would like to see what the mortality rate likely is than look at south Korea. They have the highest rate of testing and were able to stop the spread from completely overrunning their healthcare system. For them it is only slightly over 1%. Still deadly but I would take 1 in 100 over 5 in 100. 

More accurately, what it can be. They had the advantage of being able to test large numbers, knew who 330K exposed individuals were ( with 9,000 of them reporting symptoms), and were determined and thorough in tracking contacts. Same for Japan. With adequate and early detection from testing, it is believed that modern western health care systems should be at or below 2.05%, more likely down to 1.0%, and possibly even down to 0.7%. Too many jurisdictions have missed that boat... deaths and huge numbers with their treatment costs.

A person under the age of 18 has died of the novel coronavirus in Los Angeles County, public-health officials said Tuesday. It was not immediately clear if the person under 18 had a preexisting condition. Los Angeles County health officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Los Angeles County reported 128 new cases on Tuesday, for a combined total of 662 cases. Eleven people have died of the coronavirus in the county.

https://www.businessinsider.com/under-18-years-old-dies-coronavirus-in-los-angeles-2020-3

A teenage boy is the first underage to die in the US:

A teenager who lived in Lancaster may be the first child to have died from the coronavirus, but confirming that will require additional testing, authorities said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-24/los-angeles-young-person-coronavirus-death

edited: @PhantomJaguar77 was faster than me fro this one 😛

Now, an article upon an ongoing analysis about why some cases are deadly, when others recover.

It's in french, here is the google translation:

Loss of smell: new coronavirus suspected of infecting the central nervous system

Anosmia may be one of the first symptoms of Covid-19. The coronavirus can affect areas of the brain that process scent information.

By Stéphane Foucart             Posted 23/03/2020 at 9:30 a.m., updated 23/03/2020 at 12:27 p.m.

Spoiler

The director general of health, Jérôme Salomon, said in his report on Friday, March 20: loss of smell (or anosmia) may be one of the first symptoms of Covid-19. Neglected since the onset of the disease, this clinical sign is now noted in many countries and could be explained by the ability of the new coronavirus to infect the central nervous system of patients - especially the areas of the brain processing olfactory information.

This hypothesis is supported by two recent research articles. The first, just published by Chinese researchers in the Journal of Clinical Virology, is based on data acquired on other coronaviruses than SARS-CoV-2, studied longer ago; the second, published almost simultaneously in the journal Chemical Neuroscience , proposes mechanisms of action capable of explaining this potential faculty of the virus to infect the central nervous system.

"The article [from the Chinese researchers] is interesting because it is based on clinical observations, interpreted thanks to a synthesis of what we know about coronaviruses ," says biologist Christine Prat, of the European Virus Archive Global consortium. However, much remains to be understood about the impact that certain viruses can have on the central nervous system, which is a very specific area: the immune system cannot operate there as elsewhere in the body since it must fight against infection by avoiding destroying neuronal cells, which do not renew themselves, or very little. "

"You should be careful "

The team led by Yan ‐ Chao Li (Jilin University, China) reports on analyzes of samples taken in the early 2000s from victims of SARS-CoV-1, which is very close to the new coronavirus. These, explain the authors, "have shown the presence of particles of SARS-CoV-1 in the brain, where they were found almost exclusively in neurons" .

Other work, conducted on transgenic mice - modified to be sensitive to coronaviruses that affect humans -, have shown that SARS-CoV-1 or MERS-CoV (which circulated in the Middle East in 2012) "can enter the brain, possibly through the olfactory nerves, and then quickly spread to specific areas of the brain, including the thalamus and brainstem . In the case of SARS-CoV-1, note the researchers, the viral particles "were only detected in the brain [of the mice] , but not in the lungs" . Coronaviruses can therefore have a particular affinity for the central nervous system.

In 2015, Canadian researchers infected the same mice with such viruses and observed that the pathogen spreads first in the olfactory bulb, then in other regions of the brain and brainstem.

"It is well established that several coronaviruses can access the central nervous system by passing through the oropharyngeal sphere, in particular by the olfactory route, says Daniel Dunia researcher (CNRS) at the Center for Physiopathology of Toulouse-Purpan (Inserm, CNRS, University of Toulouse) ). It is possible that the coronavirus can infect the olfactory bulb or attack the neurons of olfaction, but care must be taken. Other viruses can have such effects, or cause neurological damage through intense inflammation induced by the immune response. "

Brain stem infection

"Observations such as early smell change in a patient with uncomplicated Covid-19 should be investigated to determine if the central nervous system is involved," write for their part Abdul Mannan Baig (Aga Khan University, in Karachi) and his co-authors in Chemical Neuroscience.
For Yan-Chao Li and his co-authors, the neuro-invasive potential of SARS-CoV-2 could manifest itself in a much more worrying way. Chinese researchers speculate that infection of the brainstem with the virus may, at least partially, cause respiratory failure in patients affected by severe forms of Covid-19. It is indeed this area of the central nervous system that controls, among other things, respiratory function.

To follow the Chinese researchers, the respiratory distress of the patients would not only be due to the damage of the virus on the lungs, but also to deeper lesions affecting the control of pulmonary movements. "Such an explanation is possible, but remains hypothetical for the moment, tempers Mr. Dunia. It should not be forgotten either that the pulmonary scanner is always suggestive [of damage] in patients who suffer from severe forms. "

Source (in french): https://www.lemonde.fr/sciences/article/2020/03/23/perte-d-odorat-le-nouveau-coronavirus-suspecte-de-pouvoir-infecter-le-systeme-nerveux-central_6034072_1650684.html

The analysis and the study of the cases MAY explain why some people suddenly crash down. If it really passes into the brain then no antiviral can do anything at all about it and it should be considered like other such illnesses (as meningitis). Which implies that the treatment would also be different.

Edited by Guest
Added spoiler

Another article about the Chinese trials of Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine in le Monde

Coronavirus: chloroquine tested with caution in China

Chinese researchers were the first to report effects of the old molecule against SARS-CoV-2. They are now evaluating the value of a nearby molecule, hydroxychloroquine.

By Frédéric Lemaître Posted 24/03/2020 at 10:53 am, 24/03/2020 at 2:17 am

Spoiler

Used in China since the 1950s mainly against malaria, chloroquine has also been used for a few weeks to fight Covid-19 but with caution. In any case, it is not presented by Beijing as the miracle cure for the epidemic. In fact, in February, a group of researchers from the Academy of Sciences said they had successfully used chloroquine against the reproduction of SARS-CoV-2. Chen Caixian, an academician, said on February 12 that chloroquine "has good antiviral capabilities against the coronavirus evaluated in vitro".
It was then tested on 135 patients in a dozen hospitals in Beijing and in Guangdong province. 130 of them had only mild or moderate symptoms, five had severe symptoms. According to Xu Nanping, vice minister of science and technology, none of the 130 patients saw their condition worsen. Four of the five severely ill patients were discharged from the hospital and the fifth had their symptoms reduced from "severe" to "normal". In addition, a 54-year-old patient with Covid-19 tested negative after receiving chloroquine phosphate treatment revealed, on February 17, Sun Yanrong, vice director of the biology center of the Ministry of Science and Technology .

Call for vigilance

On February 19, the National Health Commission introduced chloroquine as one of the remedies recommended to combat coronavirus. But none of the recommended drugs should be taken for more than ten days, she says. Since then, China has been cautious. Commenting on the tests carried out, Zhong Nanshan, considered since the SARS crisis as the main Chinese epidemiologist, explained that while patients had been tested negatively, but that the results have not yet been confirmed by rigorously controlled experiments and that it is too early to tell if the medicine is working

As of Friday, February 21, the Hubei Province Health Commission, the epicenter of the epidemic, warned all doctors to "watch carefully" for the side effects of chloroquine. The Virology Institute of the Academy of Sciences said that the lethal dose is between 2 and 4 grams per adult and that "adverse effects may include instant death." Hospitals conducting these tests must report any adverse effects.

The Hubei health commission, however, clarified that it was a call for vigilance and that there had been no deaths related to an overdose of chloroquine. Following the Hubei Commission, the National Commission defined more strictly, on February 29, the conditions for the use of chloroquine. The drug can no longer be administered especially to pregnant women, people with heart problems or kidney or liver diseases. It can only be given to people aged 18 to 65 and for seven days.

Chinese people able to get chloroquine online, Wuhan woman mistakenly believed to have coronavirus, had to be admitted to intensive care in hospital due to heart problems after taking 1.8 grams of chloroquine , The Daily reported on February 25.

Tong Chaohui, vice president of the Chaoyang Hospital in Beijing, said: "Whenever there is an epidemic, people want to find a miracle drug to end it, unfortunately, there is never an "antiviral miracle" drug. Researchers must discipline themselves, conduct clinical trials rigorously, and avoid any conflict of interest. The more difficult the situation, the more scientists must resolutely protect the fundamentals of science and medicine, " he wrote in a professional journal published by the China Daily on March 5.

Chinese scientists are now turning to hydroxychloroquine, a nearby molecule that is used to fight autoimmune diseases like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, and is thought to be less likely to cause serious side effects. It is this molecule which, in France, is recommended by Professor Didier Raoult.

Two recent studies, one published on March 9 in Clinical Infectious Diseases, the other on March 18 in Cell Discovery, describe two in vitro (and not patient) trials, which show that hydroxychloroquine is also effective against SARS-CoV-2. Chinese researchers are questioning its interest in treating the more serious forms of Covid-19 and in fighting severe inflammatory reactions, called "cytokine storms".

Frédéric Lemaître (Beijing, correspondent)

Source (in french): https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2020/03/24/coronavirus-la-chloroquine-testee-avec-prudence-en-chine_6034215_3244.html

You won't be able to read the full article (subscription only), hence the copy-paste of the english google translate.

In another article in a french magazine, Le Nouvel Observateur, several doctors have been interviewed. They stated that they already prescribe Plaquenil to their patients, like Dr. Raoult. And they all get better. Several of them also question the french government decision to confine Plaquenil's use to the most severe cases of Covid-19 when it has been demonstrated in different trials that it's not efficient at all when the patient entered the "severe" stage.

It would be like giving a carrot to a toothless horse.

The mentioned article in Le Nouvel Observateur (in french):
https://www.nouvelobs.com/coronavirus-de-wuhan/20200324.OBS26534/beaucoup-de-medecins-donnent-de-l-hydroxychloroquine-quand-ils-en-ont-mais-ce-n-est-pas-officiel.html

Edited by Guest
Added spoiler

:(

San Diego County officials announced Tuesday that another person has died from COVID-19. The person who died was a 76-year-old man with underlying health issues, according to Public Health Office Dr. Wilma Wooten. The county also reported two cases of coronavirus disease in infants, a 6-week-old boy and a 4-month-old girl. Both are currently isolated in their homes.

San Diego Unified School District announced late Tuesday that school facilities will remain indefinitely closed during the coronavirus pandemic until public health officials determine it is safe for students to return to school. It also announced a “soft launch” of online instruction on April 6, when schools were originally planned to reopen. Teachers will begin online instruction and determine which of its more than 100,000 students are unable to participate.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2020/mar/24/coronavirus-live-updates/

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/24/walmart-kroger-albertsons-coronavirus-response-sneeze-guards/2913538001/

Preventing coronavirus spread: Walmart, Kroger, Albertsons among grocers adding sneeze guards

Retailers have reduced store hours to make time for deep cleanings and now are adding a new layer of protection – sneeze guards.

Spoiler

Walmart and some of the nation's largest grocery store chains – Kroger and Albertsons – are installing plexiglass barriers or partitions to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus and protect both shoppers and store employees.

The protective screens will stand between a customer and a cashier so that any airborne droplets - either from a cough or a sneeze - will be blocked from hitting the person on the other side. 

"Staying safe and healthy is more important than ever for our associates, our customers and for us," Dacona Smith, executive vice president and chief operating officer, Walmart U.S., wrote in a blog post Tuesday. "Installing these barriers is another way Walmart is helping bring peace of mind that we are doing everything we can to keep our people and our stores safe."

Your money is important:  Money tips and advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up here

Walmart said it has started installing the barriers at pharmacies at Walmart and Sam's Clubs and will install the guards at regular Walmart registers over the next two to three weeks.

Smith also said Walmart is adding decals to promote social distancing on floors and has "found a new solution to help associates clean carts quicker and more thoroughly."

Senior shopping hours:Stores offer shopping time for vulnerable customers amid coronavirus: Walmart, Target, Costco and more

COVID-19 store closings, reduced hours:Best Buy, GameStop latest to close but offering curbside pickup

View image on Twitter

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/this-is-why-everyone-is-hoarding-toilet-paper/

Edited by LogicalDrm

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

I have to be honest, I don't know what saddens me more, the selfishness of people ignoring the isolation requirements or the waste of food.  

Oh, food is gonna get waisted... who needs that much milk. THAT MUCH MILK!

In this post

I wrote about Gilead and Remdecivir being given the status of an Orphan Drug.

In this article in Ars Technica

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/no-a-biotech-hasnt-used-loophole-to-lock-down-coronavirus-drug-yet/

They are going more in depth about the subject and they are more or less mitigating that fact.

Remdecivir has been given the status of an orphan Drug by the FDA, but it has not yet been approved as an orphan drug by the FDA. And that single fact changes a lot of things.

And anyway, as Gilead owns the patent for Remdecivir in the US, that in itself already gives it a lot of free reign regarding the pricing of the drug...

More details in the article.

But one important point in the conclusion of the article:

That's not to say that criticisms of the Orphan Drug Act are completely off-base. Orphan drugs often come with high prices, and 95 percent of the 7,000-or-so identified rare diseases lack any effective treatment. While the market exclusivity granted under the act is beneficial for about a third of orphan drugs, more often it's the sweet corporate-tax advantages that are driving that calculation.