COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul

i've been stuck inside for the last week since Australia started quarantining everyone.

i intended to finish building my new server (listed here: link) by now,

but thanks to covid-19, that has been put on hold indefinitely...

great.

i can't even do work with the internet in it's current state, i can barely watch a youtube video let alone remoting into work to continue my god damn job.

at least my employer has people on paid leave until further notice, so thats good.

i've been at home, reading p0rn comics for the last while to try and alleviate the boredom, which isn't working and just gets me horny.

i hate this.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Study: Temporal profiles of viral load in posterior oropharyngeal saliva samples and serum antibody responses during infection by SARS-CoV-2: an observational cohort study

People are presenting with a high viral load, ..."even for patients who were hospitalised shortly after symptom onset." "The high viral load on presentation suggests that SARS-CoV-2 can be transmitted easily, even when symptoms are relatively mild."

Spoiler

A high viral load on presentation of COVID-19 was recorded in our cohort, even for patients who were hospitalised shortly after symptom onset. Using nasal swab and throat swab, Zou and colleagues have also reported a high viral load shortly after symptom onset. However, in that study, only cycle threshold values (not exact viral loads) were reported, and no statistical or correlative analysis was done with clinical variables such as age, comorbidities, disease severity, and antibody response. The viral load profile of SARS-CoV-2 is similar to that of influenza, which peaks at around the time of symptom onset, but contrasts with that of SARS-CoV at around 10 days and that of MERS-CoV at the second week after symptom onset. The high viral load on presentation suggests that SARS-CoV-2 can be transmitted easily, even when symptoms are relatively mild. This finding could account for the efficient person-to-person transmission noted in community and health-care settings. Clusters in families, workplaces, religious gatherings, and food premises have been widely reported.

Prolonged detection of viral RNA represents a challenge for the limited availability of hospital isolation facilities.

Question: shedding live virus, or are shedded virions coated with host antibodies which render them non-infectious?

Spoiler

SARS-CoV-2 RNA could be detected for 20 days or longer in a third of patients who survived in our cohort, and one patient had SARS-CoV-2 RNA detected for 25 days. Prolonged detection of viral RNA of 20 days or longer was also commonly seen for patients with MERS-CoV or SARS-CoV infections.

Prolonged detection of viral RNA represents a challenge for the limited availability of hospital isolation facilities because patients might not be discharged until viral RNA is undetectable in respiratory specimens. Further studies are warranted to ascertain whether patients are shedding live virus, by viral culture of the prolonged RT-PCR-positive specimens obtained from patients with concomitant seropositivity when shedded virions are coated with host antibodies which render them non-infectious.

https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30196-1

NOTE: study uses "SARS-CoV" for the SARS virus, SARS-CoV-1.

7 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Non-standardized counting procedures...

https://www.cebm.net/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

Right.

Exclude the comorbidities, and then all those people weren't actually suddenly presenting and filling up hospitals and field hospitals and dying.

Reading the article sounds like a reporter cherry-picking.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120443722/coronavirus-is-covid19-really-the-cause-of-all-the-fatalities-in-italy

If you want to tally all the numbers, start reporting all of the Other Losses, those with conditions that couldn't get treated and die, or worsen such that they'll die later due to the progression of their disease into a lower survival rate.

10 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

What a way to spread the virus....I swear people aren't smart these days.

I’ll only agree with one point one of them mentioned. Up until recently someone very influential in my nation downplayed the virus and compared its seriousness to less than the flu. So those spring breakers claimed they thought it wasn’t as deadly as they thought. And I’m still getting that vibe from a lot of my customers. And I saw it today as I was driving through certain zip codes. The county looked busy outside like it was a normal day as if no shelter-in-place order was issued by my governor. I guess since I’ve been following this coronavirus news closely since January things are way more dire. By facts. We need to be better informed.

Facts like this ,

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

2 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

i've been stuck inside for the last week since Australia started quarantining everyone.

i intended to finish building my new server (listed here: link) by now,

but thanks to covid-19, that has been put on hold indefinitely...

great.

i can't even do work with the internet in it's current state, i can barely watch a youtube video let alone remoting into work to continue my god damn job.

at least my employer has people on paid leave until further notice, so thats good.

i've been at home, reading p0rn comics for the last while to try and alleviate the boredom, which isn't working and just gets me horny.

i hate this.

That sucks, they reckon ACT, SA and Vic are showing signs of internet congestion, although I am in Victoria and still able to get full speed.   I dare say those on second rate RSP's will be the first to experience shit internet while the rest of us on premium will probably only notice in the event of a major shutdown.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

I’ll only agree with one point one of them mentioned. Up until recently someone very influential in my nation downplayed the virus and compared its seriousness to less than the flu. 

Just yesterday Brazil's President dismissed the virus as a minor thing for anyone outside risk groups, and criticized state and city authorities taking preventive measures within their reach...

I just hope that Brazil's federal organization allows these local authorities enough means to contain it effectively, otherwise it could be painful to watch... :/

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Just yesterday Brazil's President dismissed the virus as a minor thing for anyone outside risk groups, and criticized state and city authorities taking preventive measures within their reach...

I just hope that Brazil's federal organization allows these local authorities enough means to contain it effectively, otherwise it could be painful to watch... :/

But wait,

Drug traffickers in one of Rio de Janeiro’s best-known favelas have imposed a coronavirus curfew, amid growing fears over the impact the virus could have on some of Brazil’s poorest citizens.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/brazil-rio-gangs-coronavirus

Edited by PhantomJaguar77

16 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

My God, what weird time we live in.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Thats great and all but as Louis Rossman pointed out a few days ago, all thats going to happen is when the freeze expires landlords will be asking for the owed amount in full and if you cannot pay then your evicted in 3 months time.

They're not actually solving the problem, just deferring it for a few months.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Its really bad for business if all your customers are dead 🙃

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Thats great and all but as Louis Rossman pointed out a few days ago, all thats going to happen is when the freeze expires landlords will be asking to the owed amount in full and if you cannot pay then your evicted in 3 months time.

They're not actually solving the problem, just deferring it for a few months.

It would give time for unemployment checks to come in. My brother is in that situation but still has car payments. He can choose to defer the payments and even though he'll still owe at the end of that ~120 days, there would be a window to collect unemployment. EDD is currently swamped right now and it could be a few weeks for anyone to get money. A lot of people's rent is due on April 1st here.

How Taiwan government deals and tracks quarantined inhabitants:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52017993

Limits are easily overthrown in "dire times". Let's just hope that the exception will not become the rule later on.

5 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

How Taiwan government deals and tracks quarantined inhabitants:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52017993

Limits are easily overthrown in "dire times". Let's just hope that the exception will not become the rule later on.

You should see the shit storm on facebook over NSW health refusing to give police a list of home quarantine people with the disease.  It's like people don't realize we have laws that prevent organizations from sharing personal information with the police for a reason, extenuating circumstances (even as severe as this ) don't change that law, the government needs to update the law to reflect the need first.

Said that several times here in the past month and half, now he says it. Maybe it will be understood this time.

Do you guys ever wake up and forget this is all happening, like you’re still dreaming? Strange when I’m living through a historic moment. Like when the first “picture“ of a black hole was revealed last year. The significance of it all took sometime to sink in.

There are all those who help any way they can... Et there are all the others who makes me ashamed of being part of the human family... And make no mistake, you can find those ones in any country on any continent through out History.
The best and the worst comes out in dire times...

Use google translate:

https://www.nouvelobs.com/coronavirus-de-wuhan/20200325.OBS26571/merci-d-aller-vivre-ailleurs-des-soignants-consideres-comme-des-pestiferes-par-leurs-voisins.html

Drug traffickers in one of Rio de Janeiro’s best-known favelas have imposed a coronavirus curfew, amid growing fears over the impact the virus could have on some of Brazil’s poorest citizens.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

Not that uncommon.

I used to get to NYC a number of times a year. I stayed in a spare room of a friend's friend in Queens.

Heading back there off the N train after midnight, a car with a number of gentlemen pulled quietly up beside me and politely asked me who I was and where was I going. I'd been advised to expect this if I was out late, so as soon as I said my name, there was 'ah right', and told me who my friend was and who I was staying with. Police didn't do much in that area, as organized chrime controlled things and made sure the economy that fed them stayed healthy.

Japan here

Weekends are now quasi-lockdown.  No large gatherings in parks (but they don't actually have police out to stop people).  Trains are still running too.

I am really baffled how Japan has managed to have relatively few cases given the urban density of Tokyo (~1500).

1 minute ago, xentropa said:

Japan here

Weekends are now quasi-lockdown.  No large gatherings in parks (but they don't actually have police out to stop people).  Trains are still running too.

I am really baffled how Japan has managed to have relatively few cases given the urban density of Tokyo (~1500).

Testing. Tracking of contacts. Got on it right away.

NYTimes looks inside a NYC hospital.

• 'scrambling for ventilators'
  • "If we could get CPAC machines we could free up ventilators for patients"
  • Five ventilators arrived. The 3rd emergency resupply in a week.
  • The head of NYC public hospitals denied that Elmhurst has ever come close to running out of ventilators.
  • "There's mythical hundred ventilators out there that we haven't seen."
  • "We started to realize that people coming in with no fever but abdominal pain actually had findings on their x-rays chest CT that were consistent with COVID-19."
  • "Someone in a car accident comes in and we get a CT scan of them and their lungs look like they have coronavirus."
  • "This is bad. People are dying. We don't have the tools that we need in the Emergency Department and in the hospital to take care of them."

https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregion/100000007052136/coronavirus-elmhurst-hospital-queens.html

25 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

The toll on nurses is not only physical (exhaustion) but also psychological.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/italian-nurse-with-coronavirus-kills-herself-amid-fears-of-infecting-others/

She's the 2nd nurse in Italy to commit suicide for this reason.

Orderlies and EMTs are particularly not well paid at all, especially now.

But yeah the psychological must be huge. I'm dead when I work 48 hours, and it's not even shift work.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti