COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
On 10/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, Quackers101 said:

isn't there some rules around this?

As you got two shots around the same time? maybe its about different types of shots, or if its something about efficiency, don't remember. kind of like having the body to "heal" between shots for best results?  might just remember wrong, and I guess they do something similar like when taking shots to travel to africa or other countries/continentes like it, etc.

Some specific vaccines might have rules about not being administered at the same time as other vaccines.

Also a multi-dose vaccine series usually has interval periods in between (eg: 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc).

But as far as I'm aware, there's no specific rule about vaccinating for multiple different things simultaneously. If there was, you wouldn't have gotten the MMR vaccine, and you probably did as a kid. (MMR protects against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella if I recall correctly). There's actually a newer version called the MMRV vaccine, which also adds Chicken Pox vaccination into the mix.

You're probably thinking of a multi-dose vaccine series, such as the Pfizer and Moderna COVID vaccines (the original dose requires 2 shots, generally spaced at least a few weeks apart).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/9/2022 at 12:27 AM, atxcyclist said:

It's fairly common to get a few vaccinations at the same time. When I got my bivalent, they asked me if I wanted to get a flu shot as well, very standard procedure.

Do they do one vaccination in each arm or both in one arm? Was thinking of getting both at the same time as well.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

50 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Do they do one vaccination in each arm or both in one arm? Was thinking of getting both at the same time as well.

I imagine you can tell the Nurse or Pharmacist what you'd prefer. They probably do both arms so that one arm doesn't get *too* sore.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

Either or, asked the pharmacist for his recommendation. Told me one in each arm was the best. Mainly due to the fact I get soreness at the injection site for Covid vaccine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I don't know there's a concert that I would like to go, but I'm unsure about the current situation, any suggestions?

I mean since Putin did invade ukraine it looks like he ended the pandemic, but it isn't really like that 

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

I don't know there's a concert that I would like to go, but I'm unsure about the current situation, any suggestions?

I mean since Putin did invade ukraine it looks like he ended the pandemic, but it isn't really like that 

IMO if you're going to an outdoor concert, I'd probably wear a mask, but I wouldn't be overly concerned.

On the other hand, for an indoor concert, especially if it's a top40's-class performer in a multi-thousand person venue, I would think twice before something like that.

But that also would depend on local COVID numbers. I know lots of places have stopped or limited the amount of case tracking they're doing, and many places are telling people not to bother getting a full PCR test anymore, just the rapid kits. And people testing positive from rapid kits doesn't get recorded as a statistic - so it's difficult to know how good or bad a given place is doing in that regard.

You can definitely still track hospitalizations and deaths - which can give you a risk baseline. From there, you'll have to decide whether it's worth going to a concert in this environment or not. I do expect at least a small wave this fall/winter, but no one knows exactly how it'll play out.

22 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

IMO if you're going to an outdoor concert, I'd probably wear a mask, but I wouldn't be overly concerned.

On the other hand, for an indoor concert, especially if it's a top40's-class performer in a multi-thousand person venue, I would think twice before something like that.

But that also would depend on local COVID numbers. I know lots of places have stopped or limited the amount of case tracking they're doing, and many places are telling people not to bother getting a full PCR test anymore, just the rapid kits. And people testing positive from rapid kits doesn't get recorded as a statistic - so it's difficult to know how good or bad a given place is doing in that regard.

You can definitely still track hospitalizations and deaths - which can give you a risk baseline. From there, you'll have to decide whether it's worth going to a concert in this environment or not. I do expect at least a small wave this fall/winter, but no one knows exactly how it'll play out.

I was made convinced by someone else and I did end up buying a 50€ ticket from TicketOne without rethinking too much 🤦‍♂️

idk lately I'm impulsive 

now I see that the place is a closed environment 

for how many people there will be... I have no idea, recently they have become more popular because they made soundtracks for a game or something

anyway the band is heilung 

also there are some bonus bands like eivor and lili refrain who I have no idea of who they are 

Novavax's Nuvaxovid; a protein subunit based Covid-19 vaccine with a plant-based adjuvant is now approved by the US FDA as a booster shot regardless whether you received mRNA vaccine as primary series or not.

U.S. FDA Grants Emergency Use Authorization for Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted as a Booster for Adults - Oct 19, 2022

Hopefully this can encourage more people to get vaccinated as there's an alternative to mRNA based vaccines

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Novavax's Nuvaxovid; a protein subunit based Covid-19 vaccine with a plant-based adjuvant is now approved by the US FDA as a booster shot regardless whether you received mRNA vaccine as primary series or not.

U.S. FDA Grants Emergency Use Authorization for Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted as a Booster for Adults - Oct 19, 2022

Hopefully this can encourage more people to get vaccinated as there's an alternative to mRNA based vaccines

Is this for the OG strain or the bivalent Omicron strains?

Additional options are definitely awesome - though personally I'm quite happy with the mRNA vaccines.

34 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Is this for the OG strain or the bivalent Omicron strains?

This is still based on the OG strain because they're currently conducting Phase 3 trials on their BA.4/BA.5 booster which is expected to finish in Q1 2023. Nonetheless, the OG vaccine from Novavax is still protective against severe outcomes of BA.4/BA.5 as per this pre-print study.

18 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

This is still based on the OG strain because they're currently conducting Phase 3 trials on their BA.4/BA.5 booster which is expected to finish in Q1 2023. Nonetheless, the OG vaccine from Novavax is still protective against severe outcomes of BA.4/BA.5 as per this pre-print study.

Good to know. Yeah pretty much all the OG vaccines still provide good protection against serious illness, fortunately.

I had COVID back in August, so I need to wait 3 months before I can get the bivalent booster that's been approved in Canada. I'll be eligible in mid-November.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 2:53 PM, dalekphalm said:

though personally I'm quite happy with the mRNA vaccines.

I'm disappointed we didn't get the touted "prevent infection and spreading" that they were saying when the vaccines first came out. It does make sense really, but I am still disappointed in that aspect.

I am happy that they can fairly quickly reformulate as needed though for new strains like this Omicron bivalent booster. And as long as it's preventing serious illness, that's sounds good to me.

That said, I know several people who just dropped when they caught COVID after 3 shots, but I have to assume that was the Omicron version. But still it was just like having a bad flu, but nothing that needed to go to the hospital for. 

So in that respect, I am happy about the vaccines. But I can't help but be disappointed by the other aspects. Preventing infection and spreading would have been nice and they really shouldn't have touted the vaccines as doing so before they knew it and that definitely leaves a somewhat bad taste in my mouth. Not enough, but just a little.

Anyway, we are looking to schedule our Omicron boosters over the next couple of weeks. We got downed pretty hard on each of the first 3 shots (like I take the next day off from work sort of down), so we have to time it to work with our schedules.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

3 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I'm disappointed we didn't get the touted "prevent infection and spreading" that they were saying when the vaccines first came out. It does make sense really, but I am still disappointed in that aspect.

I have to ask though - who is "they" here. I don't recall Moderna or Pfizer ever promising that the vaccines would be highly effective at stopping and preventing infection. Certainly once the data from the first human trials started to come out, it was clear that this was definitely not the case.

Perhaps some media were touting that, but I don't think the Manufacturers ever promised that, as far as I can remember.

I do agree that it would be amazing if they did do that, or if they are able to create new vaccines that are effective at preventing infection to begin with. Maybe we'll get that eventually, maybe not. I'm sure there are some technical limitations that make this difficult to achieve.

I am happy that they can fairly quickly reformulate as needed though for new strains like this Omicron bivalent booster. And as long as it's preventing serious illness, that's sounds good to me.

This is one of the benefits of mRNA vaccines - they're extremely easy and quick to make modifications like this, for new strains.

That said, I know several people who just dropped when they caught COVID after 3 shots, but I have to assume that was the Omicron version. But still it was just like having a bad flu, but nothing that needed to go to the hospital for. 

When you say "just dropped" - what do you mean? They died? Or they got really sick? I assume you mean they just got sick.

I myself caught COVID this past August. I was triple vaxxed (original mRNA 2-round vaccine, plus an mRNA OG booster). I almost certainly caught Omicron. The fact that the vaccines worked well enough for Omicron as is is somewhat impressive, given the fast mutation rate of COVID-19.

The main thing is preventing hospitalizations and deaths. The main goal was indeed to turn this from a "people are dying daily" to "people are getting a flu-like illness and it's not that big of a deal".

So in that respect, I am happy about the vaccines. But I can't help but be disappointed by the other aspects. Preventing infection and spreading would have been nice and they really shouldn't have touted the vaccines as doing so before they knew it. 

Again, I have to ask where the information was coming from. The manufacturers can't be blamed when other people who are not experts start making claims about what the vaccines will or will not do.

Anyway, we are looking to schedule our Omicron boosters over the next couple of weeks. We got downed pretty hard on each of the first 3 shots (like I take the next day off from work sort of down), so we have to time it to work with our schedules.

Everyone's reactions to the vaccine are different. My wife got really sick for one day after getting each shot. I, on the other hand, felt totally fine (just a sore arm, like getting the Flu Shot). It's basically just a lottery about who will feel sick and who will be totally fine. This is in line with pretty much most vaccines, but some are certainly worse than others in this regard.

I'll be getting the Omicron booster as soon as possible, but I won't be eligible until November due to having COVID recently.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I have to ask though - who is "they" here. I don't recall Moderna or Pfizer ever promising that the vaccines would be highly effective at stopping and preventing infection. Certainly once the data from the first human trials started to come out, it was clear that this was definitely not the case.

Perhaps some media were touting that, but I don't think the Manufacturers ever promised that, as far as I can remember.

I do agree that it would be amazing if they did do that, or if they are able to create new vaccines that are effective at preventing infection to begin with. Maybe we'll get that eventually, maybe not. I'm sure there are some technical limitations that make this difficult to achieve.

This is one of the benefits of mRNA vaccines - they're extremely easy and quick to make modifications like this, for new strains.

When you say "just dropped" - what do you mean? They died? Or they got really sick? I assume you mean they just got sick.

I myself caught COVID this past August. I was triple vaxxed (original mRNA 2-round vaccine, plus an mRNA OG booster). I almost certainly caught Omicron. The fact that the vaccines worked well enough for Omicron as is is somewhat impressive, given the fast mutation rate of COVID-19.

The main thing is preventing hospitalizations and deaths. The main goal was indeed to turn this from a "people are dying daily" to "people are getting a flu-like illness and it's not that big of a deal".

Again, I have to ask where the information was coming from. The manufacturers can't be blamed when other people who are not experts start making claims about what the vaccines will or will not do.

Everyone's reactions to the vaccine are different. My wife got really sick for one day after getting each shot. I, on the other hand, felt totally fine (just a sore arm, like getting the Flu Shot). It's basically just a lottery about who will feel sick and who will be totally fine. This is in line with pretty much most vaccines, but some are certainly worse than others in this regard.

I'll be getting the Omicron booster as soon as possible, but I won't be eligible until November due to having COVID recently.

Probably the media and local politicians when formulating COVID/pandemic policies. Right as the vaccines were coming out, literally everyone one here (media, politicians) were claiming how great it was that it was going to prevent infection and spreading and that became really the overall message of the vaccines. At least, that's how I remember it. So when that didn't pan out, yes I was disappointed.

But if that didn't come from Pfizer or Moderna specifically, then that's not really their fault and I can't fault them for that message being touted by those in power, when it was in fact, not true.

"Just dropped" meaning they got very sick. But again, didn't die and no hospital involved. One I know needed anti-virals, but otherwise, didn't have to go to the hospital. That's a win from where we were pre-vaccine. Happy about that.

Yep agreed on reactions. I'm usually down for just a day, though arm is extremely sore for like a week. Wife on the other hand was down 3 days after the 2nd shot. She did not handle that one well. My mom on the other hand didn't have much of a reaction at all to any of her boosters and I think her worst one of the primary series she described as only slightly worse than a flu shot.

Test Bench: 

16 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Probably the media and local politicians when formulating COVID/pandemic policies. Right as the vaccines were coming out, literally everyone one here (media, politicians) were claiming how great it was that it was going to prevent infection and spreading and that became really the overall message of the vaccines. At least, that's how I remember it. So when that didn't pan out, yes I was disappointed.

That's too bad. Unfortunately, most politicians and the media don't know how medicine or vaccines work, so them running their mouths is not unexpected.

If we ever come across a situation like this again, it's important to start to filter through the noise, and look towards the medical experts (particularly in the field of virology, etc) for the best and most up to date information. I highly doubt any virology expert was claiming the vaccines would provide protection against infection, because no one knew yet what the vaccine would do.

For example, here in Canada, we had a Federal, as well as Provincial COVID committees staffed with medical experts that provided information and advice to their respective government levels (the governments, of course, can always choose to ignore that expert advice). The information from these COVID committees was largely good, if sometimes vague information. Most importantly, as new data was discovered/released, these committees analyzed the data and updated their recommendations.

Unfortunately, the Ontario committee was disbanded already because our Premier has decided COVID is not a problem anymore (it's certainly less of one, but it's not gone yet).

But if that didn't come from Pfizer or Moderna specifically, then that's not really their fault and I can't fault them for that message being touted by those in power, when it was in fact, not true.

"Just dropped" meaning they got very sick. But again, didn't die and no hospital involved. One I know needed anti-virals, but otherwise, didn't have to go to the hospital. That's a win from where we were pre-vaccine. Happy about that.

The fact that they even have Anti-virals available to them is an incredible win vs where we were in March of 2020 (or even March of 2021).

Yep agreed on reactions. I'm usually down for just a day, though arm is extremely sore for like a week. Wife on the other hand was down 3 days after the 2nd shot. She did not handle that one well. My mom on the other hand didn't have much of a reaction at all to any of her boosters and I think her worst one of the primary series she described as only slightly worse than a flu shot.

Yeah it's so variable, which adds to the confusion a lot of people have when getting the shots.

I got my (hopefully) final booster on Wednesday. I still feel like crap, but it's not as bad as my previous booster. I did get swelling in my armpit again, but nowhere near as bad as the previous... And it's better than getting sick with the live virus, anyway.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I got my Omicron booster scheduled for this weekend. Looks like they are using Moderna. My previous booster was also Moderna, while my primary series was Pfizer/BioNTech. 

I'll be curious to see if this one knocks me on my ass as much as the 2nd Pfizer shot and the Moderna booster did. I opted to get my Flu shot at the same time, so we'll see how that affects it. Friends/family who did both at same time regretted it, but I figured might as well just get them done in one fell swoop. I'm a little overdue for flu anyway. I normally try for mid-October.

Test Bench: 

18 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I got my Omicron booster scheduled for this weekend. Looks like they are using Moderna. My previous booster was also Moderna, while my primary series was Pfizer/BioNTech. 

I'll be curious to see if this one knocks me on my ass as much as the 2nd Pfizer shot and the Moderna booster did. I opted to get my Flu shot at the same time, so we'll see how that affects it. Friends/family who did both at same time regretted it, but I figured might as well just get them done in one fell swoop. I'm a little overdue for flu anyway. I normally try for mid-October.

I got my third "updated" Moderna booster like 5 days ago.

Unlike the second one, it didn't knock me on my ass, but I sure didn't feel that great for a few days, but it was better than either the primary shot or the first two boosters.  Felt like "I got exposed to something" and I definitely didn't feel like myself but I managed.

Got my 2nd booster (4th shot) recently and felt totally normal with no pain or firmness. It was Pfizer's Bivalent vaccine targeting Omicron + Original variant. All of my previous vaccines were Pfizer's original which caused some firmness in my arm and mild pain.

Ngl it is hard to keep wearing a mask when it feels like nobody in my area seems to be wearing masks.

I'm probably gonna be switching from Surgical type masks to KN95 masks even tho they're a lot more expensive. Cos from what I understand the protection they offer isn't reliant on others wearing masks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Got my 2nd booster (4th shot) recently and felt totally normal with no pain or firmness. It was Pfizer's Bivalent vaccine targeting Omicron + Original variant. All of my previous vaccines were Pfizer's original which caused some firmness in my arm and mild pain.

Ngl it is hard to keep wearing a mask when it feels like nobody in my area seems to be wearing masks.

I'm probably gonna be switching from Surgical type masks to KN95 masks even tho they're a lot more expensive. Cos from what I understand the protection they offer isn't reliant on others wearing masks.

Oh I stopped wearing masks since probably spring/summer this year except for some situations like medical facilities. If I am sick, I'll wear one, otherwise I am not going to permanently wear one everywhere I go for the rest of my life considering this is basically endemic now and I have 3, soon to be 4 vaccinations. My upcoming one is also the bivalent.

Just my opinion for me. Everyone has differing needs whether immunocompromised, around those who are, or whatever other factors.

For me, I have been around quite a few people in various settings and haven't caught anything yet, like legit have not been sick with so much as a cold since Feb of 2019. I don't know, I guess for me, I feel if I am vaccinated, there's no reason for me to live my life like I am not.

Test Bench: 

oh man, seems like more people recently both online from other countries and people around me are getting covid again. (vaccinated and previous exposure).

I guess there is another wave, but can't really say if its previous wave or a new one or whatever.

17 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

oh man, seems like more people recently both online from other countries and people around me are getting covid again. (vaccinated and previous exposure).

I guess there is another wave, but can't really say if its previous wave or a new one or whatever.

I’m guessing it’s the Omicron B.Q.1.1’s doing. I’m calling it now, Covid will become an endemic thing were twice a year shots are needed. 

On 11/1/2022 at 3:32 AM, Sir Beregond said:

So in that respect, I am happy about the vaccines. But I can't help but be disappointed by the other aspects. Preventing infection and spreading would have been nice and they really shouldn't have touted the vaccines as doing so before they knew it and that definitely leaves a somewhat bad taste in my mouth. Not enough, but just a little.

More research has to be made. Currently there are researches about intranasal vaccines using the non-replicating adenovirus vector and preliminary tests show that it induces significantly higher IgA (mucosal antibody) in the nasopharynx which should block the transmission of the virus. 

University of Oxford famous for “Vaxzevria” is working on a “universal” coronavirus vaccine by using the pre-fusion state of different spike proteins from bat and human coronavirus which should induce robust and long lasting immunity. Animal studies show that it has surpassed the antibody titers of both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines even to zoonotic coronaviruses that are yet to be seen in public.

a few states in germany just decided that people who are actively sick with COVID no longer have to quarantine.

The Federal Minister of Health pretty much just said. "You're damn stupid, this is a bad idea".

🤡shit sucks