LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

52 minutes ago, El_Psy_CoNGR00 said:

@Gorgon just for you bud :P

more rainbow puke goodness!!!!

sometimes old skool is the right way to go about business!

fractal cases are great. i love their new small form factor case they have just released.

Heck, @El_Psy_CoNGR00. That is gorgeous! 

26 minutes ago, Donut Dan said:

Just got this error, reinstalled to no avail. Any advice?

image.png.13c0068c8a583ccb5e7d1caff4d4dac2.png

@Donut Dan Ran into this when moving cards between systems.  The system I removed a card from I had to manually edit the config file and delete the extra GPU slot.

On Windows the config file was located at:

C:\Users\Justaphf\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient\config.xml

Type %APPDATA%\FAHClient\ in Windows Explorer address bar to easily reach this location as the path is based on the user you logged into Windows with.

EDIT: If you are on Linux, the default location for the config file is:

/etc/fahclient/config.xml

So if I removed one of my two cards, the config was below, and I would delete the slot with id='2'.  Not sure which slot matters, on a different one I deleted the first slot and there was a gap and it still worked.  Save the changes to the config file and restart the FAHClient.  Hope that helps!

image.png.54ff43185b395e0a801de5515ada2cc3.png

17 minutes ago, Donut Dan said:

Just got this error, reinstalled to no avail. Any advice?

image.png.13c0068c8a583ccb5e7d1caff4d4dac2.png

I saw some issues with the GPUs.txt file being empty causing that on the EVGA forum, too.

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

So it looks like my last 3 WUs failed for some reason, only errors I could see say:

05:16:34:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Failed to connect to 155.247.164.213:80: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

19:52:05:WARNING:WU00:FS01:Server did not like results, dumping

22:39:56:ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: 10002: Received short response, expected 512 bytes, got 0

Any ideas? 

New to this folding stuff.

Pointed 3 minings rigs at covid folding for Team Linus... (TWO 6-gpu & ONE 4-gpu rig, 16 gpu's total)

Believe I've setup usernames, passkeys, and team properly, as well as verified my username on the team, however I don't see that I'm ranked within the team...

Can anyone tell if I'm setup properly?  Folding User: PCSolid.com (LTT user: PCSolidcom)

Either way I'm still folding to help find the covid cure, but would like to be sure I'm helpin the team out.

Awesome!

Keep up the great work Team LTT and everyone, Rokkin it!

T

Just now, PCSolidcom said:

New to this folding stuff.

Pointed 3 minings rigs at covid folding for Team Linus... (TWO 6-gpu & ONE 4-gpu rig, 16 gpu's total)

Believe I've setup usernames, passkeys, and team properly, as well as verified my username on the team, however I don't see that I'm ranked within the team...

Can anyone tell if I'm setup properly?  Folding User: PCSolid.com (LTT user: PCSolidcom)

Either way I'm still folding to help find the covid cure, but would like to be sure I'm helpin the team out.

Awesome!

Keep up the great work Team LTT and everyone, Rokkin it!

T

If you're new at it, you may not show up in the rankings until tomorrow.  That's a pretty common thing with the folding stats servers.

Hey ladies, 

Finally got F@H up and running. 3600x and 2070s going full tilt now.

Nice to hear my fans spinning up for something good. 

Going to get my second PC with a 2700x and GTX1060 set up tomorrow. :) 

image.thumb.png.fcb8b588c13694132c3deb65e9a13ece.png

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

I keep getting only base credit on WUs despite having a name/passkey combo accurately in config file. Is there any way to check on the actual credit I get? There's a fair number of WUs that this has happened to today

Ugh, frigging Vega crapped on the hackjob again.  No video output, fan 100%, FAH eventually reported bad work unit and gave up the WU.  I'm gonna try the power saver mode in radeon and see if it stays alive.  The bonkers thing is the vega (which I figured would be more power hungry than the 7970) is the one running on the external 430W PSU, and the only other thing that PSU is running is 3 fans, so I can't believe it's a power supply issue.  But maybe if it poops again overnight I'll switch PSUs.

(And of course I can't get another WU to see if running it in power save even helps.)

R5 3600, 5700 XT, AX370 K7...  and that's plenty for me.  If you ignore the masses of other parts I occasionally put together and laugh about.

My folding servers an amd opteron 32 core has been getting No WUs available for this configuration did the contest run out of work ? my other systems are not getting ver much work and setting idle on and off all day

11 minutes ago, j0hn0b said:

I keep getting only base credit on WUs despite having a name/passkey combo accurately in config file. Is there any way to check on the actual credit I get? There's a fair number of WUs that this has happened to today

My last WU did take it's time to upload it in and that means you lose credits for the time uploading. So the problem can be on there end...

Here https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ you can look users scores by hour.

2 hours ago, hydrochloric said:

Damn, it's been so long since I logged on I didn't even remember I had an account until the account creation told me my email was already in use lol.

I've been trying to keep up with some of y'all, but my hackjob of a "media" machine can barely match my normal gaming rig.  It's got my old 7970 and a Vega 56 in 1x slots I hacked the back from so I could fit two at once, with two power supplies and it's in a case that literally appeared at my desk at work one day.

If I could keep them running (the hackjob machine has constant driver hiccups that soft lock the whole system), HFM claims a PPD of 2.1mil.  In reality I don't think I've managed to babysit them long enough to crack 1mil/day.

Also I don't know how you guys are undervolting at all.  The instant I move any of my 3 machines' GPUs away from factory FAH starts throwing bad results and gives up.  I think I lost 3 WUs today while fartzing around.

60686662303__DD4B1582-D3FA-42EE-BD32-1DDBC7ED02E3(1).JPG

60687173170__AED6A1D3-A4FD-4AAC-9B68-DEA98C312CC4.JPG

IMG_6647.jpg

You shouldn't have a device pulling power from multiple psu's at once. The bottom card is pulling power from the pci slot on one psu and the pcie cables on the other, this is a bad idea, you need a powered riser card for the second gpu so it can be powered solely by the second psu, personally I would just get a better single psu.

image.thumb.png.9715cead1dda69f25c9e75b4a3789604.png

Seems like the Linus server is finally assigning things instead of accepting them, nice. anybody already got a WU from it?

11 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

You shouldn't have a device pulling power from multiple psu's at once. The bottom card is pulling power from the pci slot on one psu and the pcie cables on the other, this is a bad idea, you need a powered riser card for the second gpu so it can be powered solely by the second psu, personally I would just get a better single psu.

Yeah I know, and I actually have a powered x1 to x16 adapter in the mail...  But it got delayed because Amazon's (rightfully) slowed non-essential items.  My original plan was to run the Vega in the x16 on the board and the 7970 externally, and I'll still do it if the parts show up in time.  That's why I call this a hackjob!

I don't really feel like getting a better PSU for what is effectively a mash of leftover parts I already had.  Half the fun was setting something like this up, just to see if I could.  Plus in theory each PCIe slot's power regulation should be individually done with it's own VRM so while a voltage difference isn't IDEAL, it also shouldn't be the end of the world.  Given that I keep having issues with the Vega specifically and it's the one that's on the second PSU, there may be some merit to that though.

Actually...  The vega is the one running on the internal 500W supply, now that I look at my own photos again.  So that's not likely the issue.  Hmm....  I may still try swapping the PSUs though.  That 7970 has been soldering on with zero issues, maybe the Vega just needs more than the 500W unit can deliver.

My whole day of internet issues yesterday cost me 100 rank places, still churned out decent numbers but gave up what could have been my best day! Put my rant in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Turns out for some reason my WiFi card driver stopped working... Uninstall it, restart PC, all fixed 😵

I had the worst tech day yesterday, headphones stopped charging (cable dying as I tested things so hard to diagnose, 1 hour), Monitor wouldn’t connect (30 mins, no reason found), internet not connecting but WIFI working (WiFi card driver, 4 hours), other item charging issues (that cable was picked up by someone else before I diagnosed it had died, it was one of our most used cables, 30 mins). FAH client TWICE (one AM, one PM, user error, 1 hour lost folding each).

Also lost an hour looking for my powerline Ethernet kit which I couldn’t find, somehow ended up in a storage box I wasn’t going to get to unless I REALLY had to.

All in all I had issues completing units from 8AM to around 4PM.

Fingers crossed for today!

And do you know the real kick in the teeth? It was the day off from my usual weekend kids and house chores as I had been covering while my wife has had illnesses since November. I just wanted one day...

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 hours ago, hydrochloric said:

Damn, it's been so long since I logged on I didn't even remember I had an account until the account creation told me my email was already in use lol.

I've been trying to keep up with some of y'all, but my hackjob of a "media" machine can barely match my normal gaming rig.  It's got my old 7970 and a Vega 56 in 1x slots I hacked the back from so I could fit two at once, with two power supplies and it's in a case that literally appeared at my desk at work one day.

If I could keep them running (the hackjob machine has constant driver hiccups that soft lock the whole system), HFM claims a PPD of 2.1mil.  In reality I don't think I've managed to babysit them long enough to crack 1mil/day.

Also I don't know how you guys are undervolting at all.  The instant I move any of my 3 machines' GPUs away from factory FAH starts throwing bad results and gives up.  I think I lost 3 WUs today while fartzing around.

Spoiler

60686662303__DD4B1582-D3FA-42EE-BD32-1DDBC7ED02E3(1).JPG

60687173170__AED6A1D3-A4FD-4AAC-9B68-DEA98C312CC4.JPG

If that doesn't kill your hardware by the end of the week I would be gobsmacked.

I have one of those Sapphire Dual-X HD7970s. Please. It doesn't deserve to die like this. :( 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

image.png.34a65a33bf56e4c36639dc7f05b84e2a.png

FAH team giving us an end of the week round up of points. We're the top for the most points this week!

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

@Spotty I plan on using the powered riser and doing it right, but trying to get it before (apparently) April 18th doesn't sound possible.  And really, I can't go out and get another PSU either, since Michigan's on lockdown any place that would have parts is closed.

Ironically the 7970's had zero issues, it's the Vega that's being a PITA.

I suppose I could put one in the Lenovo workstation box, but that has a (cheap) Quadro card for solidworks and I was hoping to not reconfigure that one since I'd have to pull out the Quadro.  I'll see if the vega causes issues with solidworks, it definitely used to.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:29 AM, leadeater said:

As a reminder you need to set your FAH client to Fold for team LTT, 223518, to be counted in the event. There are people who have entered who are not folding under the team so won't appear in the stats tracking.

Don't have many of my PCs going ATM but the one I have is dedicated to folding.

Let's hope it helps

30 minutes ago, hydrochloric said:

Plus in theory each PCIe slot's power regulation should be individually done with it's own VRM so while a voltage difference isn't IDEAL, it also shouldn't be the end of the world.

When you have 2 psu's running in parallel and both are trying to regulate and maintain a stable current and if they are unaware of each other then this can cause all sorts of problems.

3 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

When you have 2 psu's running in parallel and both are trying to regulate and maintain a stable current and if they are unaware of each other then this can cause all sorts of problems.

The concept is that the VRM regulating the PCIe power on the externally powered card handles that card and that "isolates" (yes, I know it's not really isolated at all) the rest of the system from the 2nd PSU.  As far as the rest of the components are aware, there isn't a secondary power source, the 2nd PSU is not feeding any power to any other component.  I did tie the grounds together, obviously, but it is all just a big concept.

I'll try putting one in the S30 workstation tomorrow.  If I'm lucky solidworks will still work and the I can let each system run one GPU until I have risers.

16 minutes ago, IraDuh said:

Folding on the pretty rig. I've got it running on a couple of other rigs as well ;)

Nice job on the bends for those bottom two tubes. Having done similar getting it just right is so important, own sanity wise.

1 hour ago, Wouterrinos said:

image.thumb.png.9715cead1dda69f25c9e75b4a3789604.png

Seems like the Linus server is finally assigning things instead of accepting them, nice. anybody already got a WU from it?

Too bad it is only assigning CPU WUs.

but better nontheless.