LTT Folding Team's Emergency Response to Covid-19

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

This event has ended and I recommend you guys head over to the Folding Community Board for any general folding conversation. 

Today is a good day for folding! Both GPUs in my main system working at full pelt, and the temps are nice and "cool", thanks to the average temp being 7 degrees celcius outside. ( Now if only the wind wasn't so strong, I'd have the window open, and just wear a hoodie :P )

The ole Titan with the stock blower cooler not going 75 degrees is a beautiful thing to see.

Screenshot_960.png.b8075748569503f342bc734586cb1c6d.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

1 minute ago, DonGuano said:

Oh man... 

My RTX2080 died last night. I guess too much folding.. 😟

Doubtful. Unless you've been going 24/7 since you bought it 1.5 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Wouterrinos said:

Even then, it still shouldn't die because of it!

Under two years, time for a warranty claim.

Yesterday was a good day regarding WU assignment, today it's back to endless attempts.

2 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

Didn't mean literally. I don't think folding was the reason.

1 minute ago, timmyderselts said:

i am on that list, thanks i was worried when i didnt see it on the main post

FYI found you in the stats 

image.png

3 minutes ago, timmyderselts said:

i am on that list, thanks i was worried when i didnt see it on the main post

Yes you are :)image.thumb.png.6f34107ed871421238a9344e0ec73e8f.png

Just now, DonGuano said:

Didn't mean literally. I don't think folding was the reason.

Still 1.5 years is worrying. 

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Under two years, time for a warranty claim.

No warranty will cover 24/7 usage at full load. No consumer graphics card is certified for that.

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

No warranty will cover 24/7 usage at full load. No consumer graphics card is certified for that.

Can they prove it though?

A Titan is a "consumer" card, and I'd expect it to work over and over.

2 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Where does it state how many hours you can run it for in 2 years.

Besides, they have to prove excessive use first.... 

Just now, Valentyn said:

Can they prove it though?

If the thermal paste is all clogged up and the fan bearings are worn out it will raise suspicion for sure.

1 minute ago, ShortRouter said:

If the thermal paste is all clogged up and the fan bearings are worn out it will raise suspicion for sure.

No way would that kind of wear be present on bearings, if it does then they are using substandard parts. 

My card is a returned card from ASUS factory. Meaning someone had problems with it and returned it to a reseller. ASUS tested and found nothing wrong. So I bought it just couple of weeks ago at a discount and with one year warranty. I guess ASUS was wrong or their testing isn't so good...

8 minutes ago, Agent-Zero said:

No way would that kind of wear be present on bearings, if it does then they are using substandard parts. 

Yep many vendors do unfortunately. Some cooler designs are simply terrible, like slapping a mid-tier cooler with cheap fans on the highest-end GPUs. And not every company is nice when it comes to support and handling RMAs. For example EVGA is said to be super cool while Asus support is outright terrible. (first-hand experience).

My Asus Strix laptop came with a power supply not powerful enough to charge it at full load so it would slowly DISCHARGE while PLUGGED IN and gaming. Contacting both seller and Asus: Asus doesn't offer the swap of 180W for 230W PSU, seller wanted to have the whole laptop back and also said most they could do is give me back the money. The more powerful PSU that should have come in the box is 200 €.

14 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

They don't care what you were using your card for and they don't have any way of knowing.

Graphics cards do not have certifications of how many hours they can be used for.

As long as the card is within the warranty period they'll be able to get it repaired/replaced.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@GOTSpectrum looks like extreme overclocking caught up on at least some (if not all) of the missing points and WU's.

My recognized output for 28.03. went up from the 657.613 in your race statistic to 791.074 on extreme overclocking. I hope everything smoothes out from now on :)

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

@SpottySome companies will refuse to repair/replace it for free. Warranty is usually only 1 year.  In Germany the vendor must repair/replace/refund it within first 6 months after purchase, after 6 months and within 24 months you have to make it plausible that you did nothing out of spec and the issue wasn't a user-caused fault (Gewährleistung, different from warranty).

24 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

" We only tried runing Crysis, that's all"

27 minutes ago, ShortRouter said:

Quick check: react to this post if you are interested in testing out folding on a cloud GPU server for free for a limited time period.

@Metallus97 made two guides about this for two different services, Check the folding section on the forum! 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

My PPD goes crashing down now.

No idea when I get a replacement GPU. Could take weeks :(.

Will use old GTX 460 until then...