T mobile sues company for using the color magenta

spartaman64

Deutsche Telekom is perhaps best known around the world as the telco behind mobile carrier T-Mobile, but today it’s making an appearance in a lesser-known yet also regular role: trademark troll.

The company’s German lawyers have sent a letter to Lemonade, the AI-based insurance startup headquartered in New York, demanding it cease using magenta — a color that appears across Lemonade’s logo and marketing material — globally. DT also filed for and received an injunction on Lemonade operating in Germany — a block Lemonade has temporarily worked around by dropping magenta for the moment in the country (it’s using red instead).

But that is not the whole story: Lemonade, which said the letter came in the wake of its launch in Germany this summer, said that it will put up a fight. Today, it filed a motion with EUIPO (the European intellectual property office) to invalidate DT’s claim to a trademark on magenta; and it has further petitioned the German trademark office to remove DT’s claim to holding a right on magenta in the insurance sector.

“We thought this seemed like a massive over-reach,” Daniel Schreiber, Lemonade’s CEO and co-founder, said in an interview. “Then when we started digging, we found that they’ve been doing this across a number of countries, covering big companies to the smallest businesses. It’s mind boggling. We are in insurance.”

This fact does not matter to DT, which says the color mark is associated with its brand “beyond the classic industry environment.”

“Deutsche Telekom has asked the insurance company Lemonade to stop using the color magenta,” a spokesperson said in response to our request for comment. “Like the company logo ‘T’ and other brand elements, the color magenta is registered as a Deutsche Telekom brand. Deutsche Telekom’s brands make a significant contribution to the company’s success. Deutsche Telekom is clearly recognized and remembered by the color magenta — beyond the classic industry environment. Deutsche Telekom respects everyone’s trademark rights, but expects others to do the same. In Germany, the competent court issued an injunction against Lemonade because it considered the use of magenta to be a violation of Deutsche Telekom’s color mark. Please understand that Deutsche Telekom will not comment further on this case until a final decision has been made.”

IMG_8274.jpg?w=680

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/04/lemonade-gets-a-nastygram-from-deutsche-telekom-over-its-use-of-magenta-says-it-will-fight/

This Is absurd imo you can't own a color and make it so no other company can use it especially since the company they are suing isn't in the same market as them. If every company trademarked a color pretty soon there would be no colors left and then what. What if a company trademarks the color black and sues t mobile is t mobile prepared to make all letters in their marketing material magenta?

IMG_8274.jpg?w=680

?‍♂️

This is good publicity for Lemonade, since people will now have heard their name, and I doubt this lawsuit will hold up.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Can you imagine being on the legal team that's behind this nonsense?  Imagine coming home to your partner and telling them about what's going on at work.

"Anything interesting going on at work dear?"

"Oh nothing much, just suing another company for using magenta"

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Now this is (in my opinion) a text book case of patent/trademarking system failures.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Brb. Going to copyright transparent and make hella money off of people with windows. ?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I'm fairly certain you cannot hold trademarks, patents, or copyrights on things like color unless it's a color you "invented".

That seems to fly in the face of the idea that you cannot copyright facts (Example: You cannot copyright, patent, or trademark 2+2=4). I'm pretty sure "this wavelength of light results in this color" would qualify as a fact.

However, you can copyright a process to create a specific color or shade, such as vantablack. Which apparently is a big deal in the art world, which was countered by another artist who created another pigment that is as close as is physically possible to vantablack, and sold at a ridiculous discount, provided anyone who buys it never sells, shares, or otherwise gives it to the guy who owns vantablack because the entire art industry seems to hold that guy as a complete f**king a*****e for charging insane prices for vantablack.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/shortcuts/2019/aug/05/black-30-anish-kapoor-and-the-art-worlds-pettiest-funniest-dispute

A more thorough (and amusing) source: https://www.boredpanda.com/anish-kapoor-stuart-semple-feud-the-bean-sculpture-cloud-gate/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

So unless they're claiming that they use a specific process to create a specific magenta, and are claiming that this startup is using that entirely proprietary process, this entire case should fall apart in about 10 minutes once it gets in front of a judge. I just hope the startup sues for legal fees for this kind of bullshit.

At least, if there is still any sanity in our collective court systems. Which I doubt.

Edit: The artist who created a different black from Vantablack, also created the pinkest pink, and also barred Anish Kapoor from purchasing it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I'm suing Linus because I also own a pair of Socks and a pair of Sandles.

Come at me bro.

Shots fired @LinusTech

Gives me an idea for an event for LTX. A socks and sandals Olympics. A trial of strength, stamina, and nerdiness. The only requirement? The contestants be wearing socks and sandals, and @LinusTech must compete in all events.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Shots fired @LinusTech

Gives me an idea for an event for LTX. A socks and sandals Olympics. A trial of strength, stamina, and nerdiness. The only requirement? The contestants be wearing socks and sandals, and @LinusTech must compete in all events.

You dare challenge the grandmaster of socks & sandals?  That shit will be like the Ip Man 2 scene where he beats everyone on the table.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I’ve been waiting for someone to try this one for years.  Anyone remember “ibm blue”?  It was a 90’s thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I’ve been waiting for someone to try this one for years.  Anyone remember “ibm blue”?  It was a 90’s thing.

I see your avatar is a similar magenta to one I use elswhere, I'll have to sue you and LTT for using it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

You dare challenge the grandmaster of socks & sandals?  That shit will be like the Ip Man 2 scene where he beats everyone on the table.

Grandmaster? Bierkenstock came out in the 1930’s and one of its selling points was socks and sandals.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Grandmaster? Bierkenstock came out in the 1930’s and one of its selling points was socks and sandals.

Nice try heretic.  I recognize the true master.  

7 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

I would pay almost any amount of money to see that fight, with everyone trying to defeat @LinusTech, all in socks and sandals, all balancing on wobbly tables.

No one with formal fighting training allowed. Just knock Linus off the table, without falling off yourself. I'm not challenging him myself. He can ride a skateboard so automatically has better balance than me.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I see your avatar is a similar magenta to one I use elswhere, I'll have to sue you and LTT for using it.

I refer you to the IBM lawsuit.  You’re hosed.  You have to commission the Pantone color and you only get one.  And even then you’re still hosed.

1 hour ago, Polyvalent said:

Nice try heretic.  I recognize the true master.  

You mean my oma from bad piermont who actually wore them since the 1930’s with big fluffy handmade wool socks?  She was crazy as a bat but she could draw beautifully. Student of Katre Kolowitz.

occurs to me she’s the wrong gender.  Pre and post war East German quakers.  All the men were dead.  The ones the nazis didn’t get the soviets did.

Occurs to me part of the problem that company is going to run into is that color is process magenta.  They picked it because it’s cheap.  It’s in literally every four color printing ever done before octachrome came out.  There’s so much prior art it’s staggering.  Heck they’re going to have to go after every comic book done before the 90’s

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I refer you to the IBM lawsuit.  You’re hosed.  You have to commission the Pantone color and you only get one.  And even then you’re still hosed.

I refer you to my lawyer.  All further correspondence must got through him. Any further direct contact will be considered digital stalking and harassment in order to extort.  It will be met with further legal persuits seeking satisfaction.

If I throw enough suits at you something has got to stick.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

I refer you to my lawyer.  All further correspondence must got through him. Any further direct contact will be considered digital stalking and harassment in order to extort.  It will be met with further legal persuits seeking satisfaction.

Oh I feel so slapped!

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

'Murica

lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Oh I feel so slapped!

Imagine how the small guy who is innocent feels when a big company does this to them?  I have been on the receiving end of some horrible legal shit (small time compared to what some go through), and that was bad enough without having to hire a lawyer to defend a bullyboy.

Bitches, I'm gonna trademark RGB color range. Which means everyone making RGB gadgetry will have to pay me dosh. I'll be loaded as fuck.

If UPS can own brown, T-Mobile should be able to own pink

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue