Should I switch my router to cloudflares 1.1.1.1

IR76
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

It's what I did. It makes DNS lookups a lot faster than my ISP's DNS server, so it makes loading websites faster.

As for it being safe, you've got a similar level of risk whether you use Cloudflare, OpenDNS, Google, or you just keep using the one provided by your ISP. In all these cases, you're trusting a big corporation - it's just your choice which one.

Is it good to change my routers default DNS to cloudflares? If so why and is it safe?

It's what I did. It makes DNS lookups a lot faster than my ISP's DNS server, so it makes loading websites faster.

As for it being safe, you've got a similar level of risk whether you use Cloudflare, OpenDNS, Google, or you just keep using the one provided by your ISP. In all these cases, you're trusting a big corporation - it's just your choice which one.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Fair point, great thank you I'll look into it in detail and most likely switch to it.

For me, nothing benches faster than my ISP's default DNS servers and I've tested this a handful of times over the last few years. Haven't seen a reason to swap.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:31 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

For me, nothing benches faster than my ISP's default DNS servers and I've tested this a handful of times over the last few years. Haven't seen a reason to swap.

This is how it should be, if your ISP are doing their job properly.  But ISPs are more prone to error or just badly maintaining their servers.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You could always run namebench to see which DNS responds the fastest. 

But chances are it will be a rather miniscule difference, and DNS replies are cached anyway so the difference of a few milliseconds will only occur once when you access a new site (for the day). 

It's not like changing the DNS makes browsing around on websites faster.