Can i use a samsung or pixel phone as a wifi phone to try ?

Im thinking of switching to android while everyone else has iphones and i have the iphone 12 pro max and i can tell its aging, im at 82 percent on battery health lol i want to try something new and was thinking of either getting the samsung alaxy s23 Fe or the new google pixel 8A , all the apps i have are on android so im good there since the security cameras and apple music app  and notes app and video calling app for work are more important for me. So i was wonding can i just use a unlocked google or samsung phone as a wifi device to try it out before switching ? also whats the alternative for facetime and can you use  any email besides gmail ? asking for a family member on that part XD.

1) yeah you can use them on wifi no problem (*for unlocked devices at least, not sure if some carrier out there could force a sim on a locked phone to complete setup)

I use old Verizon model pixel and galaxy around the house without sim and don't have any issues.

2) uhhhh...discord? I've never been a fan of FaceTime style calling so I have no idea what people do.

3) not sure about email. My accounts are all Gmail so I've never bothered to try