Apple should be EMBARRASSED - Pixel 4 Review

James
1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

and the lack or a file manager nowadays is a huge compromise for going from one companies bad business practices to support another companies bad business practices, but to each their own.

Either you haven’t owned one or haven’t tried iOS 11 because both iPhones and iPads have the files app. Also, with iOS 13 iPhones and iPads (iPadOS) can now read and write to USB drives without a need for a third party app. Is it groundbreaking, definitely not but it’s good to have one. But to say that it doesn’t have one is quite erroneous to say as a compromise. 

6C6CB2AC-81D1-40B7-AA4B-CB100E1DD4AD.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Either you haven’t owned one or haven’t tried iOS 11 because both iPhones and iPads have the files app. Also, with iOS 13 iPhones and iPads (iPadOS) can now read and write to USB drives without a need for a third party app. Is it groundbreaking, definitely not but it’s good to have one. But to say that it doesn’t have one is quite erroneous to say as a compromise. 

-snip-

I honestly haven't had much experience with iOS in a while, does file access still require iTunes? If so it's still a bit of a compromise compared to a simple copy-paste file transfer on Android.

56 minutes ago, lloose said:

64gb starting capacity and 128gb maximum capacity.

Tiny battery that won't get you through an entire day.

No more full resolution photo storage.

I expect this kind of thing from Apple, not from Google.

Google is still giving apple users free unlimited full resolution storage as well!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I honestly haven't had much experience with iOS in a while, does file access still require iTunes? If so it's still a bit of a compromise compared to a simple copy-paste file transfer on Android.

iOS has a files app that gives you access to everything but system files, and iTunes is dead on macOS. It's sync functionality is now just done through finder (macOS version of Windows Explorer)

iTunes is also not a requirement on Windows.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

image.png.0f5ccb7ba38ca5739cc4b1c973c7ca0e.png

image.png.d4d302f72698767aa890a6d280a01620.png

Literally which one is it? Those are two conflicting statements...One implies that it's good and that Apple should be ashamed and the other one is saying Google didn't do enough. Literally how in the hell can this product be good enough to deserve the first title and bad enough to get the second one at the SAME time?

THIS MAKES NO GOD DAMN SENSE!!!!

Here are some major things missing from this review:

• iPhone 11 Pro captures 4K at 60fps whereas Pixel 4 can only do 30fps. (Is that why the variable refresh screen?!)
  • Pixel 4's Face Unlock cannot detect if your eyes are open or not. Someone can unlock it while you're asleep. Google says "it'll be fixed in upcoming months"
  • The dynamic range and shadows of the Pixel are not better than iPhone 11 Pro, they are worse in most cenarios. The only thing Pixel 4 is better at is in certain low light environments. There is a much more accurate review of the camera's here: 
  • The iOS 13 photo editor and camera app let you control dynamic range and shadows before and after taking a picture. The writer clearly doesn't know how to use iOS 13.
  • iOS 13 has a file manager now, at least on the 11 Pro's. (Someone in the comments complained)
  • And finally, how can Linus call the Pixel 4 an innovation/good design improvement?!!!! Those BEZELS, top and bottom!!! Square camera bump but only 2 lenses?!!
  • Nobody should buy a device that has 64GB memory, you AndroidOS will eat 4-8 gb depending on settings.

Do most people really use more than 128gb storage? I've only used 20 to 30gb on mine, and half of that is for the OS.

19 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Do most people really use more than 128gb storage? I've only used 20 to 30gb on mine, and half of that is for the OS.

i have a 128gb iphone, and i can fill it up with my 10000+ song library in spotify alone if i want. it also has l.ike 20gb of photo's on it so like... 

She/Her

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

There is nothing special about Pixel 4. It's actually a VERY sad device given it's made by freaking AUTHORS of the Android.

The authors of Android are not Google - Andy Rubin originally developed it as a camera operating system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#History

10 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Whyyy does it say "apple should be embarassed" on the forum and "google may have cut too many corners" on the actual video?

Sounds to me that the only one that should be embarassed here by cutting too much corners (or cutting too much communication) is LMG.

4 hours ago, imreloadin said:

image.png.0f5ccb7ba38ca5739cc4b1c973c7ca0e.png

image.png.d4d302f72698767aa890a6d280a01620.png

Literally which one is it? Those are two conflicting statements...One implies that it's good and that Apple should be ashamed and the other one is saying Google didn't do enough. Literally how in the hell can this product be good enough to deserve the first title and bad enough to get the second one at the SAME time?

Yup, clickbait titles are one thing, but to have differing titles across different platforms for the same media? Not cool.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Linus is so biased against Apple that he also manages to spoil the review of a device that has nothing to do with Apple

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

The authors of Android are not Google - Andy Rubin originally developed it as a camera operating system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#History

Yup, clickbait titles are one thing, but to have differing titles across different platforms for the same media? Not cool.

Who is developing and maintaining Android? Google. I don't give a fart who made v0.1 pre-alpha prototype 20 years ago...

What on earth are you searching for, Linus?

1571705186752.png?width=1148&height=721

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

6C6CB2AC-81D1-40B7-AA4B-CB100E1DD4AD.png

I have an iPhone XR with iOS 13 and file manager is about as useful as not having it at all. I can't even create a folder structure of my own. How fucking retarded is that? But Firefox can make a folder and I can make endless amount of subfolders in Firefox's "Downloads" folder. But I can't make one myself in a root. Only apps can. Some. By default as you install/run them. So, I can't download and store PDF's or documents in my own folder named "Documents". No sir, I need to store them in Firefox's "Downloads" coz that's only folder where I can store things. Heh. So, yeah that's peak retardation of Apple.

Along with fact you can't set Firefox to be your default browser, even though ALL browsers are forced to run on top of Safari engine. Just let me use fucking Firefox Apple. You're already forcing them to use Safari, so what bloody difference it even makes if users default to other browser? And same goes for Mail app for that matter. I'm using ProtonMail. But if I click mailto it'll open stupid Apple's Mail app that I don't even use for anything. Yawn.

Luckily, these two are the only really big issues I have with Apple. I can live with most of others...

The original title (which is still the thread title) is the opposite of what everyone else is saying about the Pixel 4.

I don't mind the forehead but damn the Pixel 4 is embarrassing.

3 hours ago, Nowak said:

The original title (which is still the thread title) is the opposite of what everyone else is saying about the Pixel 4.

It "feels" like the title and thumbnail were changed to specifically align with what the rest of the reviewing community are saying. This sounds dramatic, but it's actually shaken my personal value in LTT's opinions because what it feels like as a viewer is that they specifically changed their thumbnail and title to step in-line with the opinions of everyone else.

The reality is probably different, perhaps LTT are simply experimenting with their titles and thumbnails to see if the click-through rate can be improved after a video's posting - however as a viewer and subscriber of LTT the title and thumbnail change feels like an unwillingness to stick to an opinion.

This probably says a lot about video psychology because I noted that the new thumbnail and title has changed the tone of the video (which in reality remained unchanged) to feel more critical of Google, whereas the original title and thumbnail seemed to make the video feel like it was praising Google. I believe there is some subtle psychology at work that the production team might not be aware of (or maybe they are and this was intentional).

Still, it feels like LTT have made this change to tweak the tone of the video so it falls in line with what every else is saying and personally (I fully acknowledge that this is my personal feelings) it has shaken up just how much value I was willing to put into LTT's opinions (at least, with smartphones). I expect I will probably reassess how I feel about their smartphone reviews and treat them as a different category of review from now on.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else feels this way - I've specifically come back to the forum to make this post to find out.

It's also funny when people praise new AMD CPU's and then never use it in any build they make. That's not just LTT's thing, it was an annoying observation elsewhere too.

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I have an iPhone XR with iOS 13 and file manager is about as useful as not having it at all. I can't even create a folder structure of my own. How fucking retarded is that? But Firefox can make a folder and I can make endless amount of subfolders in Firefox's "Downloads" folder. But I can't make one myself in a root. Only apps can. Some. By default as you install/run them. So, I can't download and store PDF's or documents in my own folder named "Documents". No sir, I need to store them in Firefox's "Downloads" coz that's only folder where I can store things. Heh. So, yeah that's peak retardation of Apple.

Along with fact you can't set Firefox to be your default browser, even though ALL browsers are forced to run on top of Safari engine. Just let me use fucking Firefox Apple. You're already forcing them to use Safari, so what bloody difference it even makes if users default to other browser? And same goes for Mail app for that matter. I'm using ProtonMail. But if I click mailto it'll open stupid Apple's Mail app that I don't even use for anything. Yawn.

Luckily, these two are the only really big issues I have with Apple. I can live with most of others...

Dude you haven’t learned how to use it, you can create folders on your device and where you have permission. In iOS 13 do this: drag down to see the sorting options, then tap the circle with ... in it. Also in the files app if you tap and hold inside the device folder you’ll see the menu that lets you create folder or documents.

FEA33EC9-C4DF-488F-AD6A-2AE845A8B805.png

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

Dude you haven’t learned how to use it, you can create folders on your device and where you have permission. In iOS 13 do this: drag down to see the sorting options, then tap the circle with ... in it. Also in the files app if you tap and hold inside the device folder you’ll see the menu that lets you create folder or documents.

FEA33EC9-C4DF-488F-AD6A-2AE845A8B805.png

This must be new. I've tried it day 1 on iOS 13 and none of this was there. Now it is. Weird.

4 hours ago, Xilefian said:

It "feels" like the title and thumbnail were changed to specifically align with what the rest of the reviewing community are saying. This sounds dramatic, but it's actually shaken my personal value in LTT's opinions because what it feels like as a viewer is that they specifically changed their thumbnail and title to step in-line with the opinions of everyone else.

The reality is probably different, perhaps LTT are simply experimenting with their titles and thumbnails to see if the click-through rate can be improved after a video's posting - however as a viewer and subscriber of LTT the title and thumbnail change feels like an unwillingness to stick to an opinion.

This probably says a lot about video psychology because I noted that the new thumbnail and title has changed the tone of the video (which in reality remained unchanged) to feel more critical of Google, whereas the original title and thumbnail seemed to make the video feel like it was praising Google. I believe there is some subtle psychology at work that the production team might not be aware of (or maybe they are and this was intentional).

Still, it feels like LTT have made this change to tweak the tone of the video so it falls in line with what every else is saying and personally (I fully acknowledge that this is my personal feelings) it has shaken up just how much value I was willing to put into LTT's opinions (at least, with smartphones). I expect I will probably reassess how I feel about their smartphone reviews and treat them as a different category of review from now on.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else feels this way - I've specifically come back to the forum to make this post to find out.

The title and thumbnail are designed to get people to watch the video. They are not the content. The title was changed because people accused us of using clickbait. I re-watched the video and felt like it was a fair criticism, so I changed it.

The content inside the video didn't change. There's no psychological warfare going on here ;)

13 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

The title and thumbnail are designed to get people to watch the video. They are not the content. The title was changed because people accused us of using clickbait. I re-watched the video and felt like it was a fair criticism, so I changed it.

The content inside the video didn't change. There's no psychological warfare going on here ;)

If I may pontificate for a bit, for your edification, what you got called out on was disparaging Apple in your title+thumbnail over an objectively worse product. The clickbait is just part and parcel of being as successful a YouTuber as possible and I can't hold that against you since it's sort of how you employ people and feed your family. I'm a musician, I understand needing to get people through the door so they can spend money at the bar or on your merch just as much as you understand needing to get those clicks and holding our attention for at least the first 10 minutes of a video.

Look, I get that LMG maybe isn't the most Apple friendly place on the net, but when you proclaim that "Apple should be EMBARRASSED" and then proceed to show me a device that really only competes with the iPhone in terms of price, then you aren't just click baiting me (We spent HOW MUCH on this mystery box?!) you are being dishonest with us as viewers and damaging your journalistic ethos.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

15 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

Here are some major things missing from this review:

• iPhone 11 Pro captures 4K at 60fps whereas Pixel 4 can only do 30fps. (Is that why the variable refresh screen?!)
  • Pixel 4's Face Unlock cannot detect if your eyes are open or not. Someone can unlock it while you're asleep. Google says "it'll be fixed in upcoming months"
  • The dynamic range and shadows of the Pixel are not better than iPhone 11 Pro, they are worse in most cenarios. The only thing Pixel 4 is better at is in certain low light environments. There is a much more accurate review of the camera's here: 
  • The iOS 13 photo editor and camera app let you control dynamic range and shadows before and after taking a picture. The writer clearly doesn't know how to use iOS 13.
  • iOS 13 has a file manager now, at least on the 11 Pro's. (Someone in the comments complained)
  • And finally, how can Linus call the Pixel 4 an innovation/good design improvement?!!!! Those BEZELS, top and bottom!!! Square camera bump but only 2 lenses?!!
  • Nobody should buy a device that has 64GB memory, you AndroidOS will eat 4-8 gb depending on settings.

if someone broke into your house without waking you up i feel like you have bigger worries than them unlocking your phone like getting murdered

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

if someone broke into your house without waking you up i feel like you have bigger worries than them unlocking your phone like getting murdered

Crazy girlfriends are also a thing. Or weird friends when you crash somewhere with them and they dig through your phone. People are weird and that should be taken into account.

48 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We all know that this isn't the first time the title of a video has changed, my question is, have you [whoever is responsible for the first title] never read those criticisms and learned from them? Why does this keep happening?

1 hour ago, Tegos said:

Is there such a thing as a non-biased review, though?

Not really defending the naming fiasco here, far from it actually, but all reviews are biased in some aspect. I don't think it's enough to warrant a skip.

It's the reviewer's job to be impartial and give a review on the product.

In this case, it's the Pixel 4. Why on Earth should LTT need to include Apple in the title? See what I mean, it's biased in favor in Google, there's no reason to include Apple when the spotlight is on the Pixel 4.

I came here for a Pixel 4 review, not a boo at Apple once again.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches