Huawei Confirms Mate 30 Pro Won't Come With Google Apps

jiyeon

Source: The Verge (obviously)

Huawei has announced that its latest Mate 30 Pro will not have access to the Google Mobile Services core, meaning the Google Play Store and the connecting Android apps, will not be available on the phone.

The Chinese phone maker was placed on the US entity list earlier this year, preventing any US companies from doing business with Huawei. Google revealed last month that the entity list means the company can’t allow Huawei to ship the Mate 30 Pro with Google apps and services preinstalled, effectively banning new Huawei devices from key parts of Android like the Google Play Store.

Now Huawei has confirmed that’s the case. Richard Yu, the CEO of Huawei’s consumer products division, revealed onstage at a press event in Germany this morning that the company has been forced to drop Google’s Mobile Services (GMS) license on the Mate 30 series of devices.

“We cannot use the Google Mobile Services core, we can use the Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) core,” explained Yu very briefly. “Today that’s because of a US ban that these phones cannot preinstall the GMS core, it has forced us to use the HMS Core running the Huawei app gallery on the Mate 30 series phones.”

Because of this, Huawei has opted to build their own mobile services ecosystem, with already 45,000 apps inside the system, and more to come as development, growth, and marketing all play a part in its usability.

Huawei can’t really work around this very easily, so instead, it’s simply building its own alternative to Google’s Play Store and associated services. Huawei is using $1 billion to fund development, user growth, and marketing of its own Huawei Mobile Services.

There are 45,000 apps already integrated with Huawei Mobile Services, but there will be many thousands more that will need to be tweaked and made available in Huawei’s App Gallery. It’s a big task to get developers to support its own app store, but the company has no other real alternative.

tXDuQKu.png

Huawei are definitely in an impossible situation right now, but I think they'll manage. They had no choice but to launch their own Huawei Mobile Services ecosystem due to this new ban, but realisitcally as a consumer, I would just see this as an Android skin UI, as long as the apps that I use in the Google Play Store were available in it, just without the Google apps, obviously.

As a heavy user of the Google Suite, for apps such as Sheets, Docs, Slides, and in rare instances Movies and Music, this would be a huge turnoff for any future Huawei phone.

This new ban also makes me wonder how this would affect the price of the future phones as well now that they are missing such a core part of Android, surely Huawei would need to reduce prices a bit to compensate for their lack of the heart of Android?

Either way, I'm personally very intrigued to see how Huawei does now that daddy Google have grounded them from the Google apps.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I wonder how well they'll sell their new phones without google apps

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I hope they sell it a little cheaper because of that. It only takes 2 minutes to sideload google apps anyways.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It's not like they'll care that much. The majority of their market is in China anyway where you can't get google apps in the first place

17 minutes ago, Levent said:

I hope they sell it a little cheaper because of that. It only takes 2 minutes to sideload google apps anyways.

To properly use Gapps, you will need to flash it. i really hope Huawei lets its users unlock their bootloders again.

It only takes 2 minutes to sideload google apps anyways.

For someone like my mom, it will be a deal breaker. For non tech people downloading random apk from the internet and installing it sounds like a good way to get viruses. 

I hope they unlock the bootloader for users outside China, but chances are very slim.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

It'll be interesting to see how badly this affects their sales. They've apparently already given up on the idea of launching in Central Europe, and I don't imagine they're going to be launching in North America either. Sure, they'll do well in China, but they're on par with Xiaomi iirc when it comes to marketshare so I imagine they're going to go downhill a fair bit if they don't get the Google thing figured out.

Not that I have any interest in them anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well the specs do look attractive on paper but I'll wait for the LTT reviews to come out before I make any decisions (or wait longer for the P40 model)

3 hours ago, Levent said:

Pro model is as expensive as the iphone 11. Sideloading has become slightly harder because of more stricter certification from google, however it was also rurmoured that Huawei will allow bootloader unlock so getting MicroG or something similar would be easy if true.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, krakkpott said:

I hope they unlock the bootloader for users outside China, but chances are very slim.

Yeah ... but to be realistic most consumer aren't looking for a phone for unlockability of bootloader but this would def help in term of custom development scene if this happen.

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

Well the specs do look attractive on paper but I'll wait for the LTT reviews to come out before I make any decisions (or wait longer for the P40 model)

Pro model is as expensive as the iphone 11. Sideloading has become slightly harder because of more stricter certification from google, however it was also rurmoured that Huawei will allow bootloader unlock so getting MicroG or something similar would be easy if true.

For most consumer this should be fine as most of major messaging services will work without google services/play store. As services such as whatapps/messenger/signal have fallback method for push notification.

8 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

To properly use Gapps, you will need to flash it. i really hope Huawei lets its users unlock their bootloders again.

For someone like my mom, it will be a deal breaker. For non tech people downloading random apk from the internet and installing it sounds like a good way to get viruses. 

You should have looks at F-Droid or Aurora Store (mirror of google play store), I have already moved my parents off relying on google services so I just tell them to use this app store instead (Aurora Store) as it essentially is just google play store.  Essentially LOS with MicroG.

You can installed gapps without "flashing it", it just the OEMs need to implemented it into their system/rom. Xiaomi app store allow you install google services without flashing anything.

Magical Pineapples

If they have all the big services available in their app store, like Facebook and shit, the stuff most users want, they'll sell anyway. Huawei is big enough to actually pull it off because they can give big corporations reasons to do the effort and also publish the stuff on Huawei's app store.

Lol, China! They were bound to make a copy cat service & make all available apps 10x cheaper. No surprises there.

Details separate people.

To quote the headline of an article showcasing the Mate 30 Pro: "The best phone you won't buy." 

Unless they can get the major apps, including the Google ones, to work out of the box for consumers, they will struggle to sell their products. Especially when they want service providers to keep bundling them with their contracts. 

I'm kinda torn on this one

On the one hand I have vowed that I'd never buy a notched phone.  On the other hand I want to buy this one just because the annoying orange doesn't like Huawei. 

The fact that it doesn't come with any of Google's spyware ... ermm ... garbage  ... ermm ... apps is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, FRSHPRNCFBLR said:

To quote the headline of an article showcasing the Mate 30 Pro: "The best phone you won't buy." 

Unless they can get the major apps, including the Google ones, to work out of the box for consumers, they will struggle to sell their products. Especially when they want service providers to keep bundling them with their contracts. 

as long as it sells in china where google apps dont work anyways i think they are fine

Also, performance wise the kirin 990 5G sits between the 855 and 855+ chips. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

So without all of googles spying , telemetry, and battery drain. This phone should have great battery life then? Like really good

7 hours ago, corsairian said:

So without all of googles spying , telemetry, and battery drain. This phone should have great battery life then? Like really good

You just get your data farmed by the Irish instead.

11 hours ago, corsairian said:

Buying a Chinese phone so you can keep your data safe is some galaxy brain stuff.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

2 minutes ago, melete said:

Buying a Chinese phone so you can keep your data safe is some galaxy brain stuff.

nothing china can do will affect me, unlike google

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Unlocked bootloader confirmed for the Mate 30 series. https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-mate-30-pro-bootloader-1031805/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Unlocked bootloader confirmed for the Mate 30 series. https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-mate-30-pro-bootloader-1031805/

Well, that’s good news

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

So just to clarify this is AOSP with EMUI10 skin on top and not Harmony OS right?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Person: *buys Huawei Mate 30 Pro”

*sets up phone*

*goes to the app store*

*installs google apps*

Won’t visit often..

23 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Huawei rep just clarified that the company has no plans to unlock the bootloader on Mate 30s.

Also hi fellow Malaysian.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

49 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Sideload the google play store?

Confirmed to be working but extra steps may be needed.