Unpopular Tech Opinions

3 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Gaming laptops are pointless - laptops are meant to be portable, and when the power brick that's required to actually game weights about the same as a small child, it's not portable

Most gaming laptops are easily portable.

Especially if you aren't a sniveling weakling.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

PSU tier lists are rubbish,  They serve absolutely no purpose as far as quality goes.  you only need two categories, those with a less than 5% failure rate and those with a higher than 5%.  The rest are feature dependent and even then most of those features are not necessary for the average consumer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

20 hours ago, James Evens said:

4. the red nipple on think pads should be removed

1. No.

2. No, but from a ThinkPad.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Most gaming laptops are easily portable.

Especially if you aren't a sniveling weakling.

My daily laptop that I carry around with me all the time is a 'gaming' laptop, a HP Omen 15 to be precise.  The laptop itself isn't too bulky, it's the charging brick that annoys me. The 200W charging brick alone weights just under 700g, which is more than the 12.9" iPad Pro, and that is with a cable that's so short I can't actually use the laptop on my lap without an extension cord.

What I do instead is carry around the 150W charger from my old HP Omen 15 which is about 1/3 of the size (but still weighs 500g with a 4m cable, so it's actually usable). Sure, it's now powerful enough to actually power the laptop while gaming (it shuts down after a few minutes!), but I rarely game, and certainly not outside the house.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

21 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Ever feel like you were alone in what you thought about technology today? I sure have, so I thought I'd create this thread to see if we're truly as alone as we may think. So ITT, list off a few items that seems go against the grain when it comes to mainstream tech ideas. I'll start.

1. High end specs in a phone (ie 12GB of RAM) are a waste of money to both produce and buy

2. 'Safety features' in a modern vehicles, like applying the brakes for you, will create bad driving habits and bad drivers overall

3. Voice assistants are a bad idea

1. Apple is terrible 

2. Red Nipple on thinkpads should be removed

29 minutes ago, mr moose said:

PSU tier lists are rubbish,  They serve absolutely no purpose as far as quality goes.  you only need two categories, those with a less than 5% failure rate and those with a higher than 5%.  The rest are feature dependent and even then most of those features are not necessary for the average consumer.

Woah shit, a fellow common sense bröther.

Mine is that this obsession with borderless phones is completely idiotic, and that quite honestly the Stylo 4 and similar phones got it right. Reasonably sized sides, symmetric and reasonably small chins, no need for a pinhole, notch, asymmetric chins (why is this a thing???), or those godawful mechanized front cameras.

1 minute ago, Genwyn said:

Windows 10 is such an immense piece of crap, borderline nonfunctional bowl of spaghetti code with a completely unusable UI and slew of anti consumer features and limitations that when it dies i will spit on its grave.

If it werent for "muh gaymes" and their shitty "we're the only real option" marketing 99% of microsoft's userbase wouldve hopped ship to OSX or Linux the second Windows 8 dropped onto the scene like a fetid turd.

I feel like this is far from unpopular lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Windows 10 is such an immense piece of crap, borderline nonfunctional bowl of spaghetti code with a completely unusable UI and slew of anti consumer features and limitations that when it dies i will spit on its grave.

If it werent for "muh gaymes" and their shitty "we're the only real option" marketing 99% of microsoft's userbase wouldve hopped ship to OSX or Linux the second Windows 8 dropped onto the scene like a fetid turd.

I was 99.9% about to switch to OSX after 8 dropped, but I just hated Apple too much to do it. That and I realized I could just run 7 like a champ.

I must agree about Windows 10 though, even 8. It seems like they've made it for idiots. The error messages are kinda belittling honestly, it makes one feel like an ass for something not working right. With some major tweaks, 10 is pretty good though (again, after major tweaks).

I’ve got a few more:

1. 3:2 is the best aspect ratio if you don’t strictly game. 

2. The power consumption the RX 570 and 580 had compared to the 1060 is absolutely unacceptable and pathetic for that time period.

3. iOS 9 was the best iOS release 

4. The Linux ecosystem is not very newbie-friendly. It basically requires you to be stuck-up as hell to use it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I originally wanted to post in this thread - that the funny thing about technology is the numbers don't lie so your opinion doesn't matter.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

21 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

4. I do fear that visibility has gotten worse in cars for the sake of "safety". And while I completely understand the push for more safety tech, I do believe there is a point of excessiveness and that point is when you can't even see out of your damn car properly. Ya know, like the Chevrolet Camaro and the Ford Focus.

Highly agree on this.  I drove a Focus once, those darn pillars and the back window either block view or can barely look out.

21 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

6. YouTube generally is pretty decent at audio compression. So long as your source is fairly high quality, the compressed track YouTube'll make will generally sound just fine for most people. It really starts to suck in video compression, though, so don't catch me slippin' that hard.

The opus file format for sound from YouTube is really not bad at all. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

57 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

3:2 is the best aspect ratio if you don’t strictly game. 

Nope.

It's totally use case dependant.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

i dont understand the purpose of AIO computers you are paying for more expensive lower performance laptop components for a system that doesnt run off of battery or needs to be/is that much more portable than a desktop. and if you dont have enough space to fit one of these under the desk theres probably not enough space for your employee to work

SilverStone SST-VT01B Black Computer Case

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Making everything wireless is over rated.

So true! It's helpful sure, but wired connections have plenty of advantages as well and surpass wireless in many respects.

6 hours ago, yolosnail said:

My daily laptop that I carry around with me all the time is a 'gaming' laptop, a HP Omen 15 to be precise.  The laptop itself isn't too bulky, it's the charging brick that annoys me. The 200W charging brick alone weights just under 700g, which is more than the 12.9" iPad Pro, and that is with a cable that's so short I can't actually use the laptop on my lap without an extension cord.

What I do instead is carry around the 150W charger from my old HP Omen 15 which is about 1/3 of the size (but still weighs 500g with a 4m cable, so it's actually usable). Sure, it's now powerful enough to actually power the laptop while gaming (it shuts down after a few minutes!), but I rarely game, and certainly not outside the house.

I too have a 'gaming laptop', an Acer NItro but it was the same price and actually cheaper than the traditional laptops at the time, so I figured it was a good buy since it had a discreet card and some other features I wanted. The brick though is quite big, but not bad overall and has very good length. I Googled your laptop and it seems mine seems roughly the same in terms of 'portability', and I think it's very reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, MagnumOpus said:

Stock android is not best Android.

Change my mind ?

I think that's subjective. I owned Samsung's and LGs and a couple others and yeah they added some neat features, but now I'm on the Pixel lineup and it's actually quite good as well. For me, I text and make phone calls and do some Netflix and Youtube, so I'm a fairly light user and I like the minimalistic approach that Google has. It seems the 'fluff' has been stripped away and you're just left with the basics. Perhaps it's not for everyone, but for me I love it.

8 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I switch between both several times a day, and sure there's a difference, but I'd argue that software makes more of a difference than the hardware.

MacOS on my desktop with a 60Hz panel feels smoother than my Windows laptop with a 144Hz panel.

I rarely game with my laptop, so the only reason I have the 144Hz panel is because it was the default panel option.

My previous laptop had a 120Hz panel, and the only reason I chose the 120Hz panel over the 60Hz panel was because of the increased colour accuracy. 

I would have happily went back to a 60Hz panel if I could have had a better CPU/RAM/SSD instead!

I get that if you're buying a GPU that is capable of pushing all the frames, then getting a monitor that can display all the frames is worth it, but I'd personally rather increase the visual detail than the frame rate.

Also, more unpopular opinions I have when it comes to monitors (although I guess a couple are less unpopular)

• 24" is the perfect monitor size!
  • More taller = more better!* - 
  • 1080p is good enough, 1440p nice but not needed
  • 4K TVs are overrated, especially when all you watch is streamed content. Give me high bitrate 1080p over 4K any day! #floatplane
  • OLED HDR TVs don't look 'realistic'

* except on mobile,18:9 (2:1) is the perfect aspect ratio for mobile.

In fact, while I'm on the topic of mobile, I have to say mobile design peaked with the LG G6, and considering the sales numbers, I guess this is also an unpopular opinion

The only things IMO that LG could have improved with the G6 was adding dual front facing speakers, and giving it the SOC it deserved!

See spoiler for my reasoning

Reveal hidden contents

Size = perfect, has just enough chin and forehead to hold it landscape, and thin enough side bezels to not accidentally touch the screen when existing near the phone

Button layout = perfect - the finger print reader is where it belongs, on the back!

Cameras = pretty much spot on - wide angle and standard lens (telephoto is basically pointless), no camera hump, good enough image quality with the Pixel camera app

Headphone Jack = exists
USB C = need I say more?

Software = decent - I actually really like LG's skin, it's not far from stock. Shame about the lack of updates though

Wireless charging (unless you live in Europe that is!)

If LG just re-released the G6 with the 855 and front facing speakers, I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Just to comment specifically on what you said on the G6, I absolutely agree with most of your points. I would diverge slightly and say if they just had a Pixel-like UI and consistent upgrades, it would have pretty much been a perfect phone for me. I dislike LGs skin wholeheartedly. 

I actually really enjoy Apple's "Butterfly" keyboard.

Quite a clicky keyboard with plenty of feedback and with a low travel making it easer to type.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

7 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I too have a 'gaming laptop', an Acer NItro but it was the same price and actually cheaper than the traditional laptops at the time, so I figured it was a good buy since it had a discreet card and some other features I wanted. The brick though is quite big, but not bad overall and has very good length. I Googled your laptop and it seems mine seems roughly the same in terms of 'portability', and I think it's very reasonable. 

To be honest, the only reason I have a 'Gaming laptop' is because like you say, its the cheapest way to get a laptop with decent specs. I do a lot of 3D modelling and graphic design/photoshopping, so a good CPU is essential to me. And gaming laptops conveniently also happen to need a good CPU

This latest laptop is actually a warranty replacement from HP because my previous OMEN laptop had issues with the battery, so I got upgraded from a 7700HQ and 1050Ti, to a 9750H and RTX 2060. The best part is that OMEN laptop was actually a warranty replacement for my previous HP Pavilion Gaming laptop which had a 6700HQ and only a 950M.  So in the end, including the extended warranty (which I would never not get now, since both laptops failed at around 18 months, and it was only about £30 a year), I only ended up paying about £600 for it!

7 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Just to comment specifically on what you said on the G6, I absolutely agree with most of your points. I would diverge slightly and say if they just had a Pixel-like UI and consistent upgrades, it would have pretty much been a perfect phone for me. I dislike LGs skin wholeheartedly. 

I personally dislike the Pixel UI, mostly because I don't like swiping to get to the app tray! I feel like they went too minimal with it. 

The lack of updates doesn't really bother me too much, quite a lot of what is in the more recent Android versions was already built in, so I'm not really missing out on much

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

15 hours ago, everettrules said:

2. Red Nipple on thinkpads should be removed

Alright, now I'm genuinely interested.

What is it people have against it?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Alright, now I'm genuinely interested.

What is it people have against it?

It's different.
That's enough for some people.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450