Unpopular Tech Opinions

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

It's different.
That's enough for some people.

Interesting.

I've had my ThinkPad for just over a week, and haven't touched the trackpad once. Maybe I'm biased because of that, but I actually quite like it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting.

I've had my ThinkPad for just over a week, and haven't touched the trackpad once. Maybe I'm biased because of that, but I actually quite like it.

I have an X1 Carbon at work and use neither the trackpad or nubbin. Maybe I need more practice with it, but the nub just feels slow and inaccurate.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've got a few more for ya:
1. I couldn't care less about anyone's fanboyism of AMD if they didn't have any Bulldozer CPU. If you did, then I respect you far more than most of the Ryzen fanboys here.

2. This one might be a stretch for this thread, but Chrysler's Uconnect infotainment systems are the best in the automotive industry bar fucking none, Tesla included.

3. The Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers are better designs than the PlayStation controllers. I've used both quite extensively and the Xbox controllers just feel more natural.

4. I believe that there's still many PS2 games that look pretty good even today.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I have an X1 Carbon at work and use neither the trackpad or nubbin. Maybe I need more practice with it, but the nub just feels slow and inaccurate.

Slow: I set the sensitivity to max.

Accuracy: came with practice, it helped to make it move faster as well.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Aside from what @Crunchy Dragon said, the main point is to avoid moving your hands away from the keyboard - losing a little accuracy wouldn't be a big deal.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People are too obsessed with the meme around the 3.5mm audio jack on phones being missing. Unless you're a high-end audiophile who only downloads their music in incredibly high bitrates and uses very expensive headphones you won't notice any difference in the audio quality by going from 3.5 to bluetooth. I'm somebody who cares strongly about their immersion when they listen to music and a recent pair of $100 wireless earbuds I purchased are just as good as or better than any wired pair I've ever had of similar price.

16 minutes ago, Powarusuki said:

People are too obsessed with the meme around the 3.5mm audio jack on phones being missing. Unless you're a high-end audiophile who only downloads their music in incredibly high bitrates and uses very expensive headphones you won't notice any difference in the audio quality by going from 3.5 to bluetooth. I'm somebody who cares strongly about their immersion when they listen to music and a recent pair of $100 wireless earbuds I purchased are just as good as or better than any wired pair I've ever had of similar price.

God dammit, I was going to say this. I fully agree. Unless you're in a soundproofed 6 figure from set up, or a sound engineer /producer... The average Joe will never know the difference if they buy decent Bluetooth headphones or buds (jabra elite 65t for example) 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 9/18/2019 at 9:28 PM, Den-Fi said:

AMD DOESN'T CARE

ABOUT YOU.

True, but that doesn't stop me from liking their products (most of them).

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

1 minute ago, TrainFan2019 said:

True, but that doesn't stop me from liking their products (most of them).

Yeah, I'm not saying not to do that.

Just saying their position as the underdog is what makes them have to be the "good guy." Not because they love you lol.

Speaking to fanboyism, not to rational persons.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:54 AM, minibois said:

Probably not unpopular anymore - with the amount of them out there - But I strongly dislike all these subscription based services.

I want to own my software (including games) instead of renting them for a month or whatever

Totally 100% agree.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

23 minutes ago, Noctus said:

God dammit, I was going to say this. I fully agree. Unless you're in a soundproofed 6 figure from set up, or a sound engineer /producer... The average Joe will never know the difference if they buy decent Bluetooth headphones or buds (jabra elite 65t for example) 

Not really what i'd consider unpopular or a "meme" but if I'm gonna pay up for a flagship phone, the OEM should spend an extra few cents on a 3.5mm jack, IMO it's just nice to have the feature there even if you're not going to use it all the time.

And the average joe will just go along with it because companies market not having a headphone jack as better "water resistance" or being more "convenient". I dunno I don't see needing another dongle to use headphones I already own, or having another thing to charge as being more convenient.

4k TVs are ridiculous because you can barely tell the difference from 1080p when you're across the room.

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not really what i'd consider unpopular or a "meme" but if I'm gonna pay up for a flagship phone, the OEM should spend an extra few cents on a 3.5mm jack, IMO it's just nice to have the feature there even if you're not going to use it all the time.

And the average joe will just go along with it because companies market not having a headphone jack as better "water resistance" or being more "convenient". I dunno I don't see needing another dongle to use headphones I already own, or having another thing to charge as being more convenient.

True its "nice to have", but for all those yelling about "but my flacc's!!!11one, I need a jack!!" couldn't tell their arse from their elbow in a blind test. I guess my unpopular tech opinion is losing the jack isn't as big an issue as people make it and "having to charge one more thing /need a dongle" is on the same moan level as old men bitching about the price of bread. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

1 hour ago, Powarusuki said:

Unless you're a high-end audiophile who only downloads their music in incredibly high bitrates and uses very expensive headphones you won't notice any difference in the audio quality by going from 3.5 to bluetooth.

You have bad hearing if you think this and have had even subpar wired headphones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Powarusuki said:

@Noctus

I would respectfully disagree. I'm not much for audio quality, it's more a convenience thing. Like, I'm paying several hundred bucks for a phone, it would seem a small feature like that would be standard no matter what. Sometimes I forget my Bluetooth earbuds or they run out of juice. Other times my Bluetooth is acting funny and I gotta turn it off, so I still want the option to use a wired pair. It's the same premise as a condom: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :) 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:19 AM, Stylized_Violence said:

I think that's subjective. I owned Samsung's and LGs and a couple others and yeah they added some neat features, but now I'm on the Pixel lineup and it's actually quite good as well. For me, I text and make phone calls and do some Netflix and Youtube, so I'm a fairly light user and I like the minimalistic approach that Google has. It seems the 'fluff' has been stripped away and you're just left with the basics. Perhaps it's not for everyone, but for me I love it.

Pixel uses it own flavor of Android with some Pixel specific features. It isn't really stock. The software on Android One phones are the closest to AOSP tbh. It is very bare bones. More so than the Pixel.

Well this one is going to get me a lot of hate, but so be it.

Ryzen is shit. It's not the shit as most people say it is. It's just shit.

Why do I say this? Well very simple, let's be brutally honest here the only reason Ryzen is good is because Intel slept at the wheel for the last 10 years or so. If Intel would've giving us more cores and faster cores these past years then when Ryzen would've been launched, no one would even look at AMD. We would all laugh at them.

Ryzen is only viewed as good because Intel did nothing. Something that would've happened the other way around as well, if AMD was in Intel's position. AMD would've slept at the wheel as well if they had the chance.

So yeah in reality land Ryzen is not this magnificent thing that everyone says it is.

Obviously it's well welcomed and it needed to exist because Intel would've giving us 4 cores until 2030 without a doubt or even later. But let's not pretend it's truly amazing.

Can you imagine 4 cores in 2070? That would've been Intel's plan for sure. Or maybe 4 cores in the year 3000. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

26 minutes ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Ryzen is shit

their better multi core architecture and generally better security might disagree with you on this

but it doesnt matter if you like Ryzen or not, because at the end of the day more competition means better products for the consumers on all ends of the market space

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

I also have a few:

1. Investing money in RGB while being on a tight budget is questionable at best. It's like buying a Fiat and painting a Ferrari logo onto it. The only RGB I care about is provided by a device called monitor, that's what I am looking at when the PC is running.
  2. Buying a macbook when you are on a budget might not be the most sensible decision in most cases.
  3. Laptops are useless if always kept in the same location at home, buy a desktop PC instead and enjoy all the advantages.
  4. Mobile phones are made to be carried with you (switched on and sufficiently charged), their potential is wasted if used as a landline replacement only.
  5. Noise emissions should factored in more heavily when designing tech (in anything from cars to household appliances).
  6. Most of the time, one cannot say brand A is garbage while brand B is excellent (especially in tech), making a good choice usually takes much more effort than just looking at the brand.

12 hours ago, Powarusuki said:

I look at it from a purely practical standpoint - I, like most people, have a handful of audio devices that don't have bluetooth and would like to keep using them considering there's absolutely no reason to get rid of the jack in the first place. Furthermore, bluetooth devices need to be charged, which isn't always convenient. Bluetooth also drains your phone's battery more.

Can I make do with bluetooth? Sure. But why should I?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Can you imagine 4 cores in 2070? That would've been Intel's plan for sure.

No, it wouldn't have. Intel has been delaying mainstream hexacore parts for a few years. No one would buy a new computer if it's marginally faster than their old one, and that is the case with Skylake and Kabylake when one is on Haswell.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, straight_stewie said:
  1. NVLink SLI is still worth it.
  2. SLI setups would be even more worth it if more people believed #1.

I think most people don't view SLI as worth it because fewer and fewer games are actually supporting it well enough to make multiple cards worthwhile to run.

7 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

Why do I say this? Well very simple, let's be brutally honest here the only reason Ryzen is good is because Intel slept at the wheel for the last 10 years or so. If Intel would've giving us more cores and faster cores these past years then when Ryzen would've been launched, no one would even look at AMD. We would all laugh at them.

Ryzen is only viewed as good because Intel did nothing.

Except Intel has made it painfully obvious in the past 3 years that they can't deliver anything better. More cores, sure - at a much higher production cost and lower efficiency. AMD has undeniably innovated in ways that will have lasting consequences on the market. Ryzen isn't just a lucky fluke that only worked because Intel kept the prices too high. Just blindly adding cores to a monolithic die isn't sustainable, while AMD's modular design allows for scaling at unprecedented levels.

7 hours ago, TheNamelessOne said:

So yeah in reality land Ryzen is not this magnificent thing that everyone says it is.

And why not, exactly? What else would they have needed to do to satisfy your standards other than effectively tripling the performance you'd expect at any given price point in less than 3 years without sacrificing power consumption and features? Are 4 times as many cores on the desktop platform not enough?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*